Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

https://twitter.com/Massawyrm/status/1681823044061347840

feel like the execs aren’t going to give an inch. the business climate is in their favor

Then SAG-AFTRA and WGA need to hold their ground too. Just crater the loving joint at this point. gently caress Bob Iger and David Zaslav and their billionaire friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Timby posted:

Solidarity forever, for the union makes us strong.

:hai:

Really hoping there is some public backlash to the studios and nobody buys into any stupid anti-Union bullshit - this is a real chance to make lasting and vitally needed changes.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
All current A24 productions are strike complaint. Remember, Disney and MAX can't comply with Union demands because it's too expensive

A24, a studio that only produces niche indie films: :shrug:

https://www.polygon.com/23800547/sag-actors-strike-the-chosen-a24-approved-filming

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Soonmot posted:

Behind the Bastards has like a five part series on Vince McMahon which I highly reccomend.

And the dude is so terrible it’s too short.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

All current A24 productions are strike complaint. Remember, Disney and MAX can't comply with Union demands because it's too expensive

https://www.polygon.com/23800547/sag-actors-strike-the-chosen-a24-approved-filming

Also Disney, Warner Bros. and Paramount are in the process of erasing whole sections from their streaming libraries because it's just "too expensive" for their media conglomerate operations to maintain such a vast library of shows on their precious server spaces.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Remulak posted:

And the dude is so terrible it’s too short.

The podcast honestly leaves out a lot and kind of rambles on vaguely related stuff, even if it's entertaining. I'd recommend the book they got a lot of it from, Ringmaster by Abraham Josephine Riesman. Learn such amazing tidbits as how Vince for years has bragged him and his friends would regularly beat up Marines and this is extremely untrue!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

Also that one Kickstarter Jesus show that the CW picked up for some reason recently.

Timby posted:

Solidarity forever, for the union makes us strong.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Dawgstar posted:

The podcast honestly leaves out a lot and kind of rambles on vaguely related stuff, even if it's entertaining. I'd recommend the book they got a lot of it from, Ringmaster by Abraham Josephine Riesman. Learn such amazing tidbits as how Vince for years has bragged him and his friends would regularly beat up Marines and this is extremely untrue!

It is kind of wild how they get to the part of the story where Vince destroys all his opponents and forms an industry wide monopoly and Robert is just “this part is really long so I’m just going to skip it”. What a bizarre choice.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Oxxidation posted:

https://twitter.com/Massawyrm/status/1681823044061347840

feel like the execs aren’t going to give an inch. the business climate is in their favor

Pardon my ignorance on the topic but most people more educated than me on the battle seem to agree that the execs and rich folk don't actually see this as a matter of dollars, since their fortunes are assured regardless, but one of principles - that it's more seeing the creatives as leeches who rely on the good will and financial backing of studio owners to do anything, and that they need to send a message to the creatives to stay in their place. If that's the case and they can simply just never engage with the WGA/SAG and opt to wait until they all become desperate and homeless, what's the winning play here? Just like, hope it suddenly does become about dollars at some point (and that said point is sooner than it is for the workers)? I'm not really familiar with how things of this scale go. Unionizing my old office was one thing because the owners were simply normal rich, not "insane billionaire media owners" rich, this seems completely different.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Countblanc posted:

Pardon my ignorance on the topic but most people more educated than me on the battle seem to agree that the execs and rich folk don't actually see this as a matter of dollars, since their fortunes are assured regardless, but one of principles - that it's more seeing the creatives as leeches who rely on the good will and financial backing of studio owners to do anything, and that they need to send a message to the creatives to stay in their place. If that's the case and they can simply just never engage with the WGA/SAG and opt to wait until they all become desperate and homeless, what's the winning play here? Just like, hope it suddenly does become about dollars at some point (and that said point is sooner than it is for the workers)? I'm not really familiar with how things of this scale go. Unionizing my old office was one thing because the owners were simply normal rich, not "insane billionaire media owners" rich, this seems completely different.

The 'winning play', as it were, is for the studios to run out of new content. Without new content, people will slowly tune out and you anger the 800 lb. gorilla in the room named advertising.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edward Mass posted:

The 'winning play', as it were, is for the studios to run out of new content. Without new content, people will slowly tune out and you anger the 800 lb. gorilla in the room named advertising.

Some folks have commented that given how razor thin the margins are the studios can't afford a bad quarter but are counting on the unions folding before they're given a bad quarter.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Dawgstar posted:

Some folks have commented that given how razor thin the margins are the studios can't afford a bad quarter but are counting on the unions folding before they're given a bad quarter.

I looked, and Q2 earnings are coming in the next few weeks from the studios, so we'll learn a little bit from then.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Edward Mass posted:

And advertisers will turn quick. Even though hardly any goons watch broadcast TV, lots of people still do, and the fall upfronts for the networks are DIRE.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Fighting Trousers posted:

And advertisers will turn quick. Even though hardly any goons watch broadcast TV, lots of people still do, and the fall upfronts for the networks are DIRE.

What, do people not have confidence that The 71-year Old Bachelor is going to be a hit?

https://twitter.com/BachelorABC/status/1680919720663588865

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Boomers are gonna eat that the hell up

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LividLiquid posted:

And if you know anything about how the industry works, they have literally nothing at all in common with actual independent contractors.

They're locked into exclusive contracts, can't take work out of their industry without WWE taking a cut (including loving Twitch streaming,) are told how to dress when off the clock, can't take breaks or vacations, often even when injured, they have no-compete clauses in their contracts so they can't go work for competitors for a while after they get shitcanned...

And none of this is new. One of the classic examples is Sergeant Slaughter. He built his entire persona on rah rah Marine/American exceptionalism, enough so that Hasbro hired him to be an actual member of the GI joe cartoon/action figures and to be the live action face of it.

When he was done with the cartoon and wanted to come back to wrestling, during Desert Storm, McMahon would only hire him back if he agreed to a heel turn and publicly denounced the US Military in favor of the Iraqi National Guard.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

What, do people not have confidence that The 71-year Old Bachelor is going to be a hit?

https://twitter.com/BachelorABC/status/1680919720663588865

That’s a better title than I thought lol- when I was still working for these guys the working title was “Old AF”

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
How rich is that guy?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And none of this is new. One of the classic examples is Sergeant Slaughter. He built his entire persona on rah rah Marine/American exceptionalism, enough so that Hasbro hired him to be an actual member of the GI joe cartoon/action figures and to be the live action face of it.

When he was done with the cartoon and wanted to come back to wrestling, during Desert Storm, McMahon would only hire him back if he agreed to a heel turn and publicly denounced the US Military in favor of the Iraqi National Guard.

What's funny is of course Sarge didn't serve a single day of active duty so it's basically all, I believe the term is, stolen valor. He even gets twitchy if somebody uses his finishing move the Cobra Clutch and so does his daughter who isn't even a wrestler but is trying to be a Media Personality.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

What's funny is of course Sarge didn't serve a single day of active duty so it's basically all, I believe the term is, stolen valor. He even gets twitchy if somebody uses his finishing move the Cobra Clutch and so does his daughter who isn't even a wrestler but is trying to be a Media Personality.

This is why the Iron Sheik is, was, and always will be superior.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Countblanc posted:

Because of Hollywood production times and schedules, plus the ability to create non-union or non-striking union (including internationally) products, a lot of the pain is in the relatively distant future. So the bosses can just put things off for a while on the hope that they can rush production to fill in the gap caused by the strike, or have enough back log just to wait 'em out. Fortunately, actors are actually important to the promotion of the shows and movies unlike writers so there's some more immediate pain coming down the pike.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CBS' plan is to basically poach their streaming shows for network.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

fez_machine posted:

Because of Hollywood production times and schedules, plus the ability to create non-union or non-striking union (including internationally) products, a lot of the pain is in the relatively distant future. So the bosses can just put things off for a while on the hope that they can rush production to fill in the gap caused by the strike, or have enough back log just to wait 'em out. Fortunately, actors are actually important to the promotion of the shows and movies unlike writers so there's some more immediate pain coming down the pike.
Yup. The studios are beholden to stockholders. What happens to your stock when you don't have products to sell?

They've got the studios by the balls here. Not the other way around. And it's not like the old days where everybody was living high on the hog, comparably speaking, to the rest of us. Most actors and writers make less than a waiter right now. They can keep striking and probably make more.

You can't wait out people who don't actually need you to survive anymore because you got so greedy that you pay less than waiting tables.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

fez_machine posted:

Yeah, I kind of wonder if part of the studios' "strong" hand right now is that they're basically already hosed for the fall. Ad sales and the lineup are probably beyond saving and they probably figure that they have a little time before spring is ruined too so they might as well play hardball while they pull ripcords on their emergency plans for content.

But it also seems like a terrible play, since most of the streaming services are one bad quarter away from a bloodbath (Netflix just turned things around after all and HBOMax is theoretically still trying to pull out of a tailspin) and network TV is already struggling and probably doesn't need to give a chance for people to get out of the habit of watching it. I know the one anonymous exec said that Wall Street was behind them, but I think they might find that support to be a lot softer than they think once numbers start coming in.

LividLiquid posted:

Yup. The studios are beholden to stockholders. What happens to your stock when you don't have products to sell?

They've got the studios by the balls here. Not the other way around. And it's not like the old days where everybody was living high on the hog, comparably speaking, to the rest of us. Most actors and writers make less than a waiter right now. They can keep striking and probably make more.

You can't wait out people who don't actually need you to survive anymore because you got so greedy that you pay less than waiting tables.

Yeah, this was the one bit about the "make 'em homeless" strategy. I know it made for a good villain speech to feed to the press and apply pressure, but my understanding is that the people without savings were already looking into jobs. That interview from the guy who wrote for The Bear ended with a note that he was looking into work as a theater usher to ride out the strike. The practical effort wouldn't necessarily be the strike ending. It'd just be fewer people on the picket line. Which would sap momentum but it wouldn't necessarily kill the strike.

And also, like you said, a lot of the articles in the run-up to the strike noted that writers largely felt burnt out and for a lot of them it was a case of getting a better deal or just quitting.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 21, 2023

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

To what extent are they doing this? Is it just one or two shows or are networks importing several shows from streaming to broadcast tv? Cause if it's a lot of shows, you'd have to figure that would bite them in the rear end with people canceling their streaming subscriptions and just watching on tv.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

LividLiquid posted:

With the rumor of Max removing shows like Venture Bros, and if checking Wikipedia to see many more episodes of Righteous Gemstones before I cancel, I came across this on Valyn Hall's (Aunt Tiffany) page:

quote:

In a 2022 Reddit AMA in the r/television subreddit, Hall shared that in addition to her acting career, she is also employed as a UI engineer
Actors slumming as waiters early in their carteers or doing theater later seems common to me, but a software engineer? Yeah, she and others don't need the studios if they're insistent on pulling this bullshit.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Gordon Shumway posted:

To what extent are they doing this? Is it just one or two shows or are networks importing several shows from streaming to broadcast tv? Cause if it's a lot of shows, you'd have to figure that would bite them in the rear end with people canceling their streaming subscriptions and just watching on tv.

They're airing Yellowstone (from Peacock!) starting with S1, SEAL team, FBI True, and probably something like Evil all from Paramount+.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Just got back from Oppenheimer. Most I've liked a Nolan in ages. Also managed to catch a showing on film, which was very cool.

ANYWAY the relevant bit to this particular subforum is there's a *very* loving funny casting injoke involving the TV series Manhattan, which tickled me.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Pinterest Mom posted:

They're airing Yellowstone (from Peacock!) starting with S1, SEAL team, FBI True, and probably something like Evil all from Paramount+.

Yellowstone is actually a Paramount Network show licensed to Peacock for streaming.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

Yellowstone is actually a Paramount Network show licensed to Peacock for streaming.

And if you have peacock, watch Rutherford Falls instead

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cheesus posted:

With the rumor of Max removing shows like Venture Bros, and if checking Wikipedia to see many more episodes of Righteous Gemstones before I cancel, I came across this on Valyn Hall's (Aunt Tiffany) page:
Pissing off the fandoms of much-beloved shows sure seems like a great way to get the public on your side!

Though, in this case, not the Publick.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

muscles like this! posted:

ABC is doing this as well by airing a bunch of Disney+ stuff, think Ms. Marvel is getting a primetime slot this fall

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ninjahedgehog posted:

ABC is doing this as well by airing a bunch of Disney+ stuff, think Ms. Marvel is getting a primetime slot this fall
Ms Marvel is going to air on two consecutive Saturday nights for some inexplicable reason

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

WGA member here. My first episode of TV aired in 2018. It was for a successful network show that is also one of the most-watched shows on Hulu (a rep from Hulu told us that directly).

Over the past 5 years, my streaming residuals for that episode have added up to $824.00

That breaks down to $13.75 a month. Netflix (no ads) is now $15.49 a month. The residuals don't even cover the subscription cost for ONE streamer.

Oh and that $824 is before taxes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Argyle posted:

WGA member here. My first episode of TV aired in 2018. It was for a successful network show that is also one of the most-watched shows on Hulu (a rep from Hulu told us that directly).

Over the past 5 years, my streaming residuals for that episode have added up to $824.00

That breaks down to $13.75 a month. Netflix (no ads) is now $15.49 a month. The residuals don't even cover the subscription cost for ONE streamer.

The more I hear about how poo poo it is to be a writer, or a lower level actor, the more I am amazed that people stick it out in Hollywood that long. The wages a lot of these people make are below minimum wage in the most expensive state in the country.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Argyle posted:

A friend's father sold a couple of scripts to Star Trek: The Next Generation and said syndication rate was 12.5K. Story alone was four grand. Rooting for you.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

The more I hear about how poo poo it is to be a writer, or a lower level actor, the more I am amazed that people stick it out in Hollywood that long. The wages a lot of these people make are below minimum wage in the most expensive state in the country.

As a writer at least, you stick it out because the reward used to be substantial -- a solid upper-middle-class job. Nowadays you spend years grinding it out as an assistant, only to get your big break and find out you're still broke. WGA minimums for a staff writer are like $4k a week, which sounds awesome but some writer's rooms only go like 10-12 weeks these days. Then you're scrambling to find another gig with only 40k* in your pocket to survive in one of the most unaffordable cities in the world.

*Don't forget 10% for the agent who got you the job, 5% for your lawyer who made sure you're not getting hosed in your contract (very necessary), and another 10% for your manager if you have one. So your 40k quickly becomes 30k, and that's before taxes

Dawgstar posted:

A friend's father sold a couple of scripts to Star Trek: The Next Generation and said syndication rate was 12.5K. Story alone was four grand. Rooting for you.

Thanks, friend. Luckily my episode also aired on broadcast & cable TV, so I'm one of the lucky few still getting decent residuals overall.

For the curious, the episode in question earned me about $49k over 5 years via broadcast/cable/foreign TV. That's about $10k a year, maybe $6.5k after taxes. Not enough to live on but definitely a huge help for paying the rent between gigs. If you're on a streaming-only show you are quite hosed unless you can somehow line up multiple jobs one right after the other, which is frankly impossible.

Argyle fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 21, 2023

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Argyle posted:

How much do you think you would have made if what you're asking for on the new deal existed 5 years ago?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I had no idea how bad it was for writers these days until I heard one of the staff writers for The Bear on the Dan LeBatard Show talking about how he had to like borrow money to go to an awards show he was receiving an award at. Mostly because as you mentioned, writers are getting a lot less work now with how they are killing the concept of writers' rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Looten Plunder posted:

How much do you think you would have made if what you're asking for on the new deal existed 5 years ago?

In terms of residuals? That's hard to estimate, because we're asking for viewership-based residuals and the streamers just flat-out refuse to share viewership numbers with us. Also, the Guild hasn't shared exactly what payment structure they have in mind.

For ad-supported content, it would be relatively straightforward to calculate a revenue-sharing model similar to YouTube. For ad-free platforms, I'm guessing there would be some kind of base residual rate paid per quarter, with tiered incentives based on number of views. But that's just speculation on my part.

I doubt the pay would be in line with network and cable residuals, but it would certainly be better than $800 over 5 years.