Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Gonzo McFee posted:

They're entitled, amoral careerists who see other people as tools for their own advancement. Think of the worst middle manager you've ever had. The ones even your bosses boss hated to be around. That's the entirety of the Labour right.

The sort of person who doesn't desire child poverty, but is desperate for the positive feedback and career progression that follows an annual review in which not having implemented policies to prevent child poverty is praised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

We have a political system that is designed to simply slow change. A protection of the status quo at all costs, combined with, I dunno, the 5 stages of grief? Nobody can deal with it because they always loop back to denial, anger, and bargaining, or depression, and if they finally reach acceptance, they essentially leave the game.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://twitter.com/Davejackson9876/status/1682106318667104256?s=20

More unpleasantness ageism & ableism by "Hannah" can be seen on the thread below her tweet.

Turns out she’s racist too. Sir Keith must apologise

https://twitter.com/hannoir/status/21770205099?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Screenshot before the inevitable shameful deletion:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Ok which one of you...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-66237196

A man is to face trial accused of offences relating to someone wearing a black latex suit in public.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

They're entitled, amoral careerists who see other people as tools for their own advancement. Think of the worst middle manager you've ever had. The ones even your bosses boss hated to be around. That's the entirety of the Labour right.

There has been some press recently spinning Starmers current shadow cabinet as the most state educated ever, with only 13% privately educated (roughly in line with the population at large).

Ignoring how many of them are from grammar schools, it's the best way to describe their vibe as the ones who aspired to be middle managers at school.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://twitter.com/Davejackson9876/status/1682106318667104256?s=20

More unpleasantness ageism & ableism by "Hannah" can be seen on the thread below her tweet.
lol of course
https://twitter.com/lukeakehurst/status/1682127201615900680

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

I'd really want to see a source on that claim because it sounds like bullshit to me. I have to get annual training on what my regulator considers improper gifts, and basic food is considered well within the norms of an appropriate gift. If I buy chocolates or pizzas for a contractor's staff nobody's going to raise an eyebrow. Could be the rules are different for politics but I'm skeptical given all the bullshit politicians get up to with their lobbyist mates.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Campaigning on the basis of starvation and the continuation of said starvation does have some historical precedent, but I'm not sure that it's the kind that they want
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9S-eu3FW-U

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/CeilNoyle/status/1681628573117849600

Basically this ^^^

https://www.linkedin.com/in/keir-mather-430862131/

Who the gently caress is this mini Keir?

e: This is he:

https://twitter.com/Mather_Keir/status/1681944534253547521

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 21, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Actually I hate to say Duke Nuke'em is right but we were told this a few years ago when I was still in the party. We wanted to run a handful of ward-based prospective councillor meetings in one set of town council elections with tea & biscuits and told we were not allowed to offer tea & biscuits as it could be construed as bribes! So we would charge a nominal 50p or something. Can't remember what we did in the end.

HOWEVER, in this case, they are already active supporters of the party and probably more than a few are indeed party members also turned out to canvas from around the country - so bribery or 'treating' doesn't really come into it. I would have thought a case could be made in terms of duty of care & health given the amount of physical work being done, the heat etc.

Reveilled posted:

I'd really want to see a source on that claim because it sounds like bullshit to me. I have to get annual training on what my regulator considers improper gifts, and basic food is considered well within the norms of an appropriate gift. If I buy chocolates or pizzas for a contractor's staff nobody's going to raise an eyebrow. Could be the rules are different for politics but I'm skeptical given all the bullshit politicians get up to with their lobbyist mates.

I'd actually like to see that too. Smacks to me a bit of 'received wisdom'.

And pondering further on this, surely accepting donations of any size, freebie tickets to major sports tournaments, summer parties at Murdoch's comes into the same - albeit reversed - category of being 'treating' - expecting something in return.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 21, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If every member of the Labour right contracted the most painful terminal disease overnight, my only regret is that I couldn't personally laugh in their faces as they died.

They're so loving gleefully evil. It's insane. They don't even represent our horrible racist country because they're more evil and sadistic than the average racist gobshite. Way richer though.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
lol they might actually have binned it

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

LMAO... Tories held by 495 votes

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1682204378151649282

fatninja187
Oct 4, 2013

Beware the ninja

Clearly the left hasn't been purged enough.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

fatninja187 posted:

Clearly the left hasn't been purged enough.
yeah, they're going to lay it all at the feet of the mad corbynista sadiq khan and his crazy treehugging schemes

quote:

London mayor Sadiq Khan’s policy of expanding the Ulez low emission zone to outer boroughs – including Uxbridge and South Ruislip – has been blamed for the party’s failure to take the seat.

Labour candidate Danny Beales had distanced himself from the policy, saying it was “not the right time” to expand the £12.50 daily charge for cars which fail to meet emissions standards.

The failure to overturn the Tory majority in the seat was dubbed “Uloss” by a party insider in a sign of the unease at Mr Khan’s plan.

In public, senior Labour figures acknowledged Ulez had been a factor in the vote.
Shadow justice secretary Steve Reed told the PA news agency: “I think there’s been a number of issues at play, but there has certainly been a number of voters who have said to us that they are very concerned about Ulez.

“Everyone wants to see clean air. But for some people, I think, given the chaos that there is in the economy, because the Conservatives have crashed it and the cost-of-living crisis that they fuelled, that this is the wrong time to introduce a charge for Ulez.”
meanwhile they just got beaten into fifth place by the greens and loving reform in somerton
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1682206876807602178
11k lib dem majority lol

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Man Km Labour sure suck, though I've been saying this for about 20 years now.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Apraxin posted:

yeah, they're going to lay it all at the feet of the mad corbynista sadiq khan and his crazy treehugging schemes

If they were the kind of talented politicians they always claim to be, they could have explained to the citizens of Uxbridge why ULEZ is actually a good thing.
But they're not.
They're just pricks who think wearing a suit makes you important.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
I am utterly surprised that Labours platform of, offer nothing, no change, no hope, no policies, didn't ignite the proverbial fires-in-the-chest of the voting public in Uxbridge.

No, wait...what's the opposite of that? Not at all surprised?

😑 They're honestly going to lose the next general election. What a shitshow.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Reveilled posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treating_(law)
It seems that it is the case, it's covered under the Representation of the People Act (1983).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Catzilla posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treating_(law)
It seems that it is the case, it's covered under the Representation of the People Act (1983).
That's if they feed the voters. What's being discussed here is party officials getting themselves a pizza and offering nothing to the canvassers, i.e. people working for the party.

Seems like the labour party just likes starving young people

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And pondering further on this, surely accepting donations of any size, freebie tickets to major sports tournaments, summer parties at Murdoch's comes into the same - albeit reversed - category of being 'treating' - expecting something in return.
Wes Treating :hai:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I think this is the best result possible really. Bring on a hung Parliament and maybe we will see some actual change. Keith’s offer to the public is so pathetic and uninspiring that he can’t even flip a couple of thousands majority in the seat of the man who lied, cheated, thieved and drank his way through a pandemic and his time in office.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

No, this is the best result:

https://twitter.com/SoozUK/status/1682275041411465216?t=oJZo8b4Fcpbiv5JqFe02Iw&s=19

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

With the ULEZ expansion are they grandfathering in cars that were 'resident' in the expanded zone or running a scrappage scheme to help people afford replacement cars?

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's if they feed the voters. What's being discussed here is party officials getting themselves a pizza and offering nothing to the canvassers, i.e. people working for the party.

Seems like the labour party just likes starving young people

Yes, but the canvassers themselves are voters too. I know it sounds like a pedantic distinction, but that is usually what a lot of law seems to boil down to.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Hmm, so 1 Labour, 1 Lib Dem, 1 Tory hold. That's... mixed results, I guess? Ok, but not overwhelming for Labour.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It's a good result which proves Kier is popular and labour are primed to take the next election

It's a bad result which shows the damaging effects of Long Corbyn

Both of these are true at the same time

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Catzilla posted:

Yes, but the canvassers themselves are voters too. I know it sounds like a pedantic distinction, but that is usually what a lot of law seems to boil down to.
So are the party members, that interpretation of the law would make the pizza illegal as well, surely?

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Despite the crowing in the press, I don’t think “Tories lose two 20k majorities, hold on to the literal ex PM’s seat by a tiny majority” in the real world is anything but a Tory nightmare. More or less confirms national polling.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Incredible that less than half the people in Johnson’s constituency could be bothered to vote.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

smellmycheese posted:

Incredible that less than half the people in Johnson’s constituency could be bothered to vote.

Evidence in favour of the idea that the next GE will be a low energy, low turnout one.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I'm hoping for a hung parliament

Or is it hanged?

Always get mixed up on that grammatical quirk

gently caress, probably get sent to a g4s/atos reeducation centre for that one

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

4000 less people voted Labour in Uxbridge than in 2019 with Crebbins

Meanwhile in Frome:

https://twitter.com/toryfibs/status/1682276657153949701?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

DesperateDan posted:

I'm hoping for a hung parliament

Or is it hanged?

Always get mixed up on that grammatical quirk

gently caress, probably get sent to a g4s/atos reeducation centre for that one

Even though people are hanged, a parliament is hung. Evidence that politicians are not people, but they're still massive dicks

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Catzilla posted:

There's a specific ruling on the law that it doesn't apply to ordinary hospitality. Treating only applies when you are offering someone incentives in exchange for their vote. You know, like in political lobbying.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Wes Trea--

Bobby Deluxe posted:

gently caress

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It's technically illegal to offer hope of a better world- could be perceived as treating (a form of bribery that was common in the 19th century elections)

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

4000 less people voted Labour in Uxbridge than in 2019 with Crebbins

Meanwhile in Frome:

https://twitter.com/toryfibs/status/1682276657153949701?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

I mean the electorate showing tactical voting discipline to that extent would be electoral apocalypse for the Tories if it held up in a GE.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jedit posted:

There's a specific ruling on the law that it doesn't apply to ordinary hospitality. Treating only applies when you are offering someone incentives in exchange for their vote. You know, like in political lobbying.

Yeah, which seems quite consistent with the plain language of the statute:

quote:

114Treating.

(1)A person shall be guilty of a corrupt practice if he is guilty of treating.

(2)A person shall be guilty of treating if he corruptly, by himself or by any other person, either before, during or after an election, directly or indirectly gives or provides, or pays wholly or in part the expense of giving or providing, any meat, drink, entertainment or provision to or for any person—
(a)for the purpose of corruptly influencing that person or any other person to vote or refrain from voting; or
(b)on account of that person or any other person having voted or refrained from voting, or being about to vote or refrain from voting.

(3)Every elector or his proxy who corruptly accepts or takes any such meat, drink, entertainment or provision shall also be guilty of treating.

Buying pizzas for your dedicated canvassers as thanks for their work isn't the same as that, you're not offering the food to influence them to vote for you. You can really twist your neck and imagine a chain of causality where someone agrees to become a canvasser as a result of the possible provision of future food, but even so the crime plainly requires a guilty mind on the part of the food's provider--the Crown would need to show the food's provider had a corrupt intent to influence the voting of the people being fed, when there's a much simpler explanation behind the act (gratitude for the work done canvassing). Especially so when a lot of the canvassers will be from outside the constituency and thus likely don't have a vote at all.

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

Angrymog posted:

With the ULEZ expansion are they grandfathering in cars that were 'resident' in the expanded zone or running a scrappage scheme to help people afford replacement cars?

They do not grandfather in vehicles, there is a scrappage scheme available to people on certain low income benefits, but it will count as income/savings for the purposes of those benefits so it may disqualify you from them. The most you can get is £2k for a car or a bit less cash plus 1 or 2 annual bus passes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If they did it as a class action suit where the NHS totalled up the cost of poor air quality across the entire city and then divvied that up per driver I bet they'd be begging for the ULEZ charge instead.