Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Car Hater posted:

No, you were diagnosed at 6 or 7 or something when your dad took you for evaluation, but because you could read a whole book cover to cover (hello hyperfocus!) your mom flipped out and said nothing was wrong with her precious smart baby.

My monitor is off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Asproigerosis posted:

Lol doctors now are just lovely search algorithms with less critical thinking ability. Literally all they do is beep book input symptoms into the chart and follow the flow chart until all the testing does their job for them. Just a bunch of clueless morons working up every differential and crying about how they are so swamped with patients well maybe if you dumb motherfuckers would stop ordering an mri on every single person with a headache you'd discharge patients faster and have less people to deal with but since you're just following a flow chart that doesn't take into account any context about the individual patient and the company couches it in cya liability coverage, you're trying to get a pituitary mri on a patient in the er who's got encephalopathy+dementia

put me in the tube magnet jockey I wanna see my insides

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I broke my collarbone back in April while riding a bike
my friends dragged me to the sidewalk and flagged down traffic cops, who called in an ambulance from the city government
after verifying that the nearby private hospital took my employer-provided insurance, they drove me to the ER
I was given pain-killers for the day, and had some x-rays taken, and the doctors verified my injury and prescribed that I wear a sling to immobilize the arm

I had to pay for the sling, and the prescription medicines

I went to see an orthopedist the next day, who confirmed the diagnosis and scheduled me for a follow-up
I wore the sling for the next six weeks, with another two follow-ups with the ortho during that time

I had to pay for the x-ray film print, twice, which cost about 200 PHP each, or four US dollars

at the end of those six weeks the ortho referred me to a physical therapist to rebuild the strength in my arm and hands
I had six PT sessions in May, and then saw the PT doctor again, who recommended another six
after completing those, the doctor still wanted me to do some more, but my insurance wouldn't cover more, so I used the other health coverage I have from my wife's employer-provided insurance, where I'm listed as her dependent

I have another follow-up with the ortho later in the year to confirm that my shoulder is healing

those two lines that I italicized were the only times when I had to pay for something as part of my treatment and recovery, so far

I wrote this all down just to provide some international perspective on my experience dealing with healthcare in my country - though I'd also note that I'm not an average case - as a computer-toucher I'm very lucky to have great health insurance, via my employer, and with a privatized health system that somehow has not yet been infected with the disease of co-pays and deductibles

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

MEIN FUHRER I CAN WALK

Griz
May 21, 2001

Medicaid tried to claim that MRI for my broken arm that wasn't recovering after PT wasn't "medically necessary"

after a month they finally approved it and guess what, it's rotator cuff tear
orthopedics sends a referral for another 8 PT sessions and they approved ... TWO

I have an appt to schedule follow-up MRI next month and they're probably gonna pull that again

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I had a very similar experience in college when I was describing my ADHD symptoms to a psychiatrist and they told me that it sounded like I was reciting a list of most-common symptoms I'd clearly memorized to get an Adderall prescription.

Still not officially diagnosed :bustem:

The Doctor Daneeka special :discourse:

If you were sick enough to need medication then you wouldn't be able to come to the doctor, but since you're here you clearly must be making it up. DEA Regulation Catch 22.

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin

La Louve Rouge posted:

I'm sure this has nothing to do with movies being jerkoff bullshit that lie at the top of the need pyramid, while the world's real productive capacity is eaten away into nothing by resource shortages and biosphere collapse

counterpoint: people like movies

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin

ram dass in hell posted:

hollywood accounting is all 1000% loving fake as hell
it's not profitable but ohhhh hey we paid the producer's production company 40% of revenue and that's a production cost and look at that we made zero profit to share with the cast and crew meanwhile the producer made tens of millions of dollars. ez game

no it goes the other way around. the production never sees profit because it owes fees to the parent company and has to pay back the advertising done by the distribution company.

Producers get 'points' which are a share of the profit of the production company that they can distribute. For example in an indie film 50% of profit is owed to investors, and 50% is divided up by the producer, maybe to get an famous actor they have to pay 10% of the profit.

And then there are royalites called residuals that also are paid before the production company gets paid. basically everyone else has to make money before the production company officially makes money. That's how you hide money, a distribution company can charge $150 to post the name of the movie on their twitter, as part of its 'advertising budget' just like, whatever. or the fees can be owed to the parent company for IP.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

a strange fowl posted:

i've been thinking about this. my experience with doctors has been so woeful that i can actually see myself getting better results from a chatbot. in particular, chatbots are attuned to keywords, so using precise terminology will get a better result. but in my experience, human gps are so pissy about self-diagnosis that they are biased against any patient who comes to them appearing to have done any research at all. so using exact medical terminology for certain conditions (think "fatigue", "hypermobility", "immunodeficient") gets me instantly written off by human doctors ,who go "oh i see you've been on the internet" and that's the end of the session. which won't happen with a chatbot. unless it gets programmed in, which it probably will

My partner's mom (a woman who doesn't speak English incredibly well, but understands fine) has had such unbelievably poor experiences with doctors that I'm 100% sure ChatGPT as-is could provide better medical advice. We've had doctors straight-up prescribe her medication that could have been fatal if the pharmacy hadn't caught it, and two major chronic conditions completely ignored and written off for about four years despite absolutely textbook symptoms. The doctor that finally bothered to do anything was like "oh yeah, I don't understand how anyone could have missed this."

I had to stop going with her to medical appointments because it became a farce where the doctors would always talk to me and ignore her despite my insistence that, hey, she can understand you just fine and also I can't translate anything anyway. I had one doctor straight-up do the "haha but I'm sure it's not that bad, women amirite" thing at me with a literal wink.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Griz posted:

Medicaid tried to claim that MRI for my broken arm that wasn't recovering after PT wasn't "medically necessary"

orthopedics sends a referral for another 8 PT sessions and they approved ... TWO

I have an appt to schedule follow-up MRI next month and they're probably gonna pull that again

You can diagnose a torn rotator cuff without an mri, so it's considered a luxury and not necessary for your kind.

Oh medicare?! We thought you said medicaid!!! Right this way monsignor et mademoiselle, no prior authorization, no copay, no jumping through hoops of having to fail conservative therapy or get inferior imaging first. Right to the front of the line!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Griz posted:

kaiser sucks rear end for a multitude of reasons that i shant elaborate on, but it's also the best affordable healthcare for us mere working class mortal plebs (after medicaid) for precisely this reason. at least you know all that poo poo is covered and no getting dicked around with 'oops we're reclassifying this as out of network now give us $10k'

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

a strange fowl posted:

i've been thinking about this. my experience with doctors has been so woeful that i can actually see myself getting better results from a chatbot. in particular, chatbots are attuned to keywords, so using precise terminology will get a better result. but in my experience, human gps are so pissy about self-diagnosis that they are biased against any patient who comes to them appearing to have done any research at all. so using exact medical terminology for certain conditions (think "fatigue", "hypermobility", "immunodeficient") gets me instantly written off by human doctors ,who go "oh i see you've been on the internet" and that's the end of the session. which won't happen with a chatbot. unless it gets programmed in, which it probably will

It took several years for my mom to get formally diagnosed with MS. Doctors straight up didn't believe her or misdiagnosed her.

She had a quack doctor who told her that the COVID vaccine would straight up kill her and she should trust in Ivermectin instead. :catstare:

Her health insurance tried to cut off access to her medication because they claimed she was walking around on her own.

gently caress the American Healthcare industry.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Reaganomics, Bidenomics... same poo poo, different rear end in a top hat.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

The Demilich posted:

Reaganomics, Bidenomics... same poo poo, different rear end in a top hat.

Mind. Freaking. Blown.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

The economy is poo poo. And Joe Bidet isn't gonna fix it. America? Same as the economy.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
actually the economy is good and biden made it better

the premium consumer remains healthy

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

If a president tried to talk to me, you know what I'd say? You're exactly like all the other presidents 🖕🏻

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

The world is a toilet. And I'm just trying... to wash my hands.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Capitalism? I've seen this show before. Time to turn the TV off, drones.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

whos rereg is this?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

paradol ex

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

just kidding, pex would have outed himself by now

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

The COO of Shopify and his wife are big time chuds who support conservatives in Canada. Also the sole reason why libsoftiktok was not kicked off the platform despite tos violations.

Glumwheels has issued a correction as of 06:12 on Jul 21, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

whos rereg is this?

powerball

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

whos rereg is this?

I dunno but funny/interesting to post ratio is unacceptably low

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Leigh_Phillips/status/1681919249294725121?t=Enz-ztodUlp670zyzcG4SA&s=19

https://twitter.com/CougarSpider/status/1682101479463854080?t=8-gjeU2kS7PvIYfdwhbLiQ&s=19

If I had known the author of People's Republic of Walmart would be such an rear end in a top hat I would never have read his book

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
"High school history teacher and historian. Native Virginian and Richmonder. Center-left. ‘Based and Featherpilled’ "

lol what a loving dweeb bio

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
calling them treats is funny because it riles people up

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

treatbois get mad if you threaten their tasty yum yum times -- and they're right to do so

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

It's OK to have a few treats, as a treat

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shipon posted:

calling them treats is funny because it riles people up
why are twitter libs so mad about 'treats'

i mean it is what it is. it's perfectly good descriptor. consumption != identity

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
i'm allergic to bananas, so i seem to be on the right side of history

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Glumwheels posted:

The COO of Shopify and his wife are big time chuds who support conservatives in Canada. Also the sole reason why libsoftiktok was not kicked off the platform despite tos violations.

good to know. just spent most of the day learning their store 2.0 poo poo.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

It was a good book. Shame hes a moron otherwise.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Glumwheels posted:

Didn't they move their us hq from MA to... Utah lol

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
i simply choose to not consume.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
lol degrowth is necessary but it’s 100% not going to happen, nobody is going to give anything up big or small. Everything from a
banana to air conditioned Christmas in July like in Parasite is everyone’s right to have and you’re a monster to tell themotherwise. They will reeee louder than any American when within 5 miles of a vegan. Externalities are not their concern.

Humanity will not stop, it will have to be stopped. They won’t stop consuming until consumption isn’t an option because the supply chain collapsed.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

RadiRoot posted:

i simply choose to not consume.
i choose to consume as most as humanly possible because it is win + feels good. whats the point of living in the imperial core if you aren't maximizing your consumption to fill the atomized n alienated voids that americans feel

for every treat you don't consume, im consuming 3. thank you for your service in making them more affordable to me :patriot:

mmmmm consuming, so good. yum yum

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
aids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

skooma512 posted:

lol degrowth is necessary but it’s 100% not going to happen, nobody is going to give anything up big or small. Everything from a
banana to air conditioned Christmas in July like in Parasite is everyone’s right to have and you’re a monster to tell themotherwise. They will reeee louder than any American when within 5 miles of a vegan. Externalities are not their concern.

Humanity will not stop, it will have to be stopped. They won’t stop consuming until consumption isn’t an option because the supply chain collapsed.

degrowth is the status quo in much of the world where people are just falling further into poverty. also the ruling elites have been pushing degrowth for a good while now. makes you think when you’re on the same page.

if you see humans as just mindless consumers and not people with agency who think and solve problems, then you’re just an annoying right-wing fart bag.