Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

This has to be a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

the slight production value on this makes me think its gotta be the "what not to do" part of a training video

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This has to be a joke.

For real

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I think it is a theme park where you can go to lay bricks

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jaguars! posted:

I think it is a theme park where you can go to lay bricks

Like an "adventure playground" where kids can build forts with hammer and nail, but for grownups!

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/04/03/395797459/the-value-of-wild-risky-play-fire-mud-hammers-and-nails

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This has to be a joke.

No, just a favela.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Those are 2-6 headers!

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

VelociBacon posted:

Those are 2-6 headers!
:five:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

I have no idea why anyone would still buy a vented dryer or build or renovate a house around one. I'm sure it somehow makes twisted sense in the USA.

I don't even know where I could buy one. America, I guess.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 21, 2023

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't even know where I could buy one. America, I guess.

Yeah, same place you'd find anything else designed around having more space and energy than you know what to do with.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

VelociBacon posted:

Those are 2-6 headers!

lmao that's perfect.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Platystemon posted:

O.K. but imagine if instead of squeezing that little bit of moisture out of the recycled air by chilling and immediately heating it, you instead ran it on an open loop, heating room air, blowing it over the clothes, and exhausting this hot, moist air out of the building. Meanwhile, the evaporator exchanges heat with indoor air, cooling the air and yielding heat to dry the clothes.

This would be like having a “portable” air conditioner that dries your clothes as a free side effect.

Dry air can take more water than moist which is what your room air will be, and if your room is cooled you're using energy to heat that air then immediately throwing it out .

Thermodynamics for closed loop systems is cool (lol). With high enough efficiency in the heat exchanges you can lose very little energy in the process.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

VelociBacon posted:

Those are 2-6 headers!

Lol

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Dry air can take more water than moist which is what your room air will be, and if your room is cooled you're using energy to heat that air then immediately throwing it out .

Thermodynamics for closed loop systems is cool (lol). With high enough efficiency in the heat exchanges you can lose very little energy in the process.

Also with the "portable AC" setup you have an appliance that kinda sucks for cooler weather.

There are so many little ways that we could make each individual house more efficient which we don't bother with because they would require greater integration or specialization of appliances. For example in warm climates it would make sense to have the refrigerator set up like a mini-split (or ideally integrated into a building HVAC system equipped with a variable speed compressor) instead of dumping the waste heat into the house, but that would require cooperation between manufacturers and make them harder to swap out.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

Also with the "portable AC" setup you have an appliance that kinda sucks for cooler weather.

There are so many little ways that we could make each individual house more efficient which we don't bother with because they would require greater integration or specialization of appliances. For example in warm climates it would make sense to have the refrigerator set up like a mini-split (or ideally integrated into a building HVAC system equipped with a variable speed compressor) instead of dumping the waste heat into the house, but that would require cooperation between manufacturers and make them harder to swap out.

Take it a step further and make the fridge dump waste heat into the water heater!

It looks like Hitachi makes a mini-split system that can use waste heat from cooling one room to heat another... https://www.hitachiaircon.com/au/news/what-is-a-heat-recovery-vrf-system

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You can achieve a lot of energy efficience by just building buildings more buildingishly, instead of shedly.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

devicenull posted:

Take it a step further and make the fridge dump waste heat into the water heater!

It looks like Hitachi makes a mini-split system that can use waste heat from cooling one room to heat another... https://www.hitachiaircon.com/au/news/what-is-a-heat-recovery-vrf-system

Yeah this is used in industrial processes (e.g. refineries) where you've got lots of heated stuff and various temperatures so that you maximise your efficiency.

Also yeah houses have dumbass things like putting the oven next to the fridge (not too bad but also not great) and putting the fridge in a wall so there's no air over the coils. I have both of those :rolleyes:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

One of my friends used to live in a house that had a built-in fridge corner... and the compressor was located so that the hot air was vented into the laundry room. Brilliant for drying clothes, right? Yep. But he also put a chest freezer in the same room, so probably wasted a lot of power that way :downs:

Loved going to parties there though, always room for another case of beer in the fridge.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

putting the fridge in a wall so there's no air over the coils

My favorite is gutting a pantry and shoving the fridge in there, even less airflow

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You can buy a refrigerator that's designed to be installed inside a cabinet or alcove, they have very different ventilation layouts. Don't shove a freestanding fridge into an unventilated space, unless you really like replacing fridge parts

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Nitrox posted:

You can buy a refrigerator that's designed to be installed inside a cabinet or alcove, they have very different ventilation layouts. Don't shove a freestanding fridge into an unventilated space, unless you really like replacing fridge parts

Nothing exists except things the poster has personally seen. Especially if you're American, and especially if you're European.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Last time our fridge broke we couldn't get a replacement that would fit in it's spot in the kitchen so for the past year we have had one sitting in the far side of dining room, it's actually been kind of convenient since the kitchen is poorly laid out and stiflingly hot outside of winter.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Our fridge is showed up against the wall between another wall and a cupboard, and as far as we can tell that's nowhere near the the airflow it was designed for. We ended up putting it up on two blocks of wood just to get some airflow below it and up along the back, and that actually seems to have made it much happier.
(And yes of course this was put in by a landlord who spent the absolute minimum of money and effort.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shifty Pony posted:

It puts more load on the home heating system, but unless you have resistance electric heating, you’re still coming out ahead versus a conventional electric dryer, because now you’re using a natural gas furnace or a big heat pump to make the heat rather than the resistance heating elements of a conventional dryer.

Winter air tends to be dry, too.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Nitrox posted:

But they still need ventilation though. I think those are designed so that you have a space at the top (hidden by the top of the cabinet) to vent and mine just.....doesn't have that. This would also explain why it is running its compressor constantly.

Anyway that's another frustration with what can be described as "a mediocre kitchen installed by part time clowns".

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s impossible to predict where the tiles will end up.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Interesting how we changed the thread title before this photo was posted

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's weird that the hot water turns into cold water at the ceiling and then turns back into hot water at the ground.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

They weren’t kidding when they said pex was easy to install

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I was at someone's house yesterday and he told me it was an Airbnb before he owned it.

In the back yard there is a flexible 12" NG hose sticking out of a bespoke wooden porthole in his siding at about 9' high. This is so you can hook up a grill with a length of hose (it drapes so wonderfully).

He called a guy to ask if it was up to code and/or if he could fix it and the guy was like "It looks dumb as hell but it's fine and I'd have to tear out your ceilings to go to where it's tapped into the main and re-route it."

So his house just has a tiny dong.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Uthor posted:

It's weird that the hot water turns into cold water at the ceiling and then turns back into hot water at the ground.

I don't mean to blow your mind here, but the color of the pipe does not necessarily indicate water temperature. It's more like a suggestion, and then you can connect whatever to whatever, quod erat demonstrandum

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nitrox posted:

I don't mean to blow your mind here, but the color of the pipe does not necessarily indicate water temperature. It's more like a suggestion, and then you can connect whatever to whatever, quod erat demonstrandum

That's why all my pipes are digital camouflage

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nitrox posted:

If the water is hot enough the pipe will become red regardless.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

The pipes screensaver has escaped containment into the real world! Someone call the SCP/Federal Bureau of Control

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I was at someone's house yesterday and he told me it was an Airbnb before he owned it.

In the back yard there is a flexible 12" NG hose sticking out of a bespoke wooden porthole in his siding at about 9' high. This is so you can hook up a grill with a length of hose (it drapes so wonderfully).

He called a guy to ask if it was up to code and/or if he could fix it and the guy was like "It looks dumb as hell but it's fine and I'd have to tear out your ceilings to go to where it's tapped into the main and re-route it."

So his house just has a tiny dong.

My parents got their last house custom built and since they went for gas for the water heater my dad had them run a line thru the concrete patio in the back with the intention of building a natural gas grill. He since changed his mind, so in the middle of the patio theres just a capped gas pipe donger sticker up waiting to be tripped over.

A few months after installation I noticed I smelled gas by it and we did the bubble test and sure enough the gas line had been leaking into the backyard, probably after being kicked and tripped over multiple times.

He said he regretted getting gas at all because they did literally everything else electric and then got solar. The house is designed for the climate with 6 inch thick walls, concrete floors, high ceilings, angled to keep the heat down in the summer but let more light in in winter, metal roof for fire protection, rainwater and greywater catchment, etc, and the lone trip hazard gas line is his sore spot

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My fridge has two stoppers on the back so you literally can't shove it too close to the wall.

Unless you cut off the stoppers, which are plastic, so...

E: lmao at leaving uncaged gas lines just standing there. Why is that even legal?

Ee: it would even look nicer with some kind of cage:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 22, 2023

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

titty_baby_ posted:

My parents got their last house custom built and since they went for gas for the water heater my dad had them run a line thru the concrete patio in the back with the intention of building a natural gas grill. He since changed his mind, so in the middle of the patio theres just a capped gas pipe donger sticker up waiting to be tripped over.

A few months after installation I noticed I smelled gas by it and we did the bubble test and sure enough the gas line had been leaking into the backyard, probably after being kicked and tripped over multiple times.

He said he regretted getting gas at all because they did literally everything else electric and then got solar. The house is designed for the climate with 6 inch thick walls, concrete floors, high ceilings, angled to keep the heat down in the summer but let more light in in winter, metal roof for fire protection, rainwater and greywater catchment, etc, and the lone trip hazard gas line is his sore spot
That gas pipe absolutely has a shut-off somewhere inside the house or wherever it tees off from the main gas pipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nitrox posted:

That gas pipe absolutely has a shut-off somewhere inside the house or wherever it tees off from the main gas pipe.

The obvious solution is to actually just light it so it's burning like the top of the things on oil rigs constantly. A little bit of Dessert Storm in the comfort of your back garden.