Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Probably the inflammatory language?

again, how are you supposed to ask a question about a probated post without including the context, and as it was done here, as neutrally as I can tell, if you're just going to eat a week regardless because it's "political bullshit."

like come on this is dumb as gently caress.

if you think you get probated unfairly and ask about why, that's punishable by a week? I'm not even poo poo stirring on purpose, this is just so nonsensical i'm saying something because it defies understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Fluffdaddy posted:

Yall are all about to get bodied for ruining this thread with your politics bullshit, fyi.

why is being against a genocide called "politics bullshit"?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
being fat has never been a political issue i guess, so that doesn't count

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

From the perspective of someone who got a few easy dunks in on Nix Panicus' posts in the gbs ukraine thread, if it's any consolation, they were right about post blanking only being appropriate in extreme circumstances. Their post being blanked was inappropriate. They're absolutely correct on that point.

That said, fluffdaddy also hit a lot of other people for continuing the derail Nix started and judging by the probe reason I imagine fluff also found their points reasonable. That is, up until Nix edited in a petty personal snipe in the end. I can only imagine fluffdaddy was just irritated enough by it to hit it with a longer probation.

But that's just my read on the situation.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HiroProtagonist posted:

again, how are you supposed to ask a question about a probated post without including the context, and as it was done here, as neutrally as I can tell, if you're just going to eat a week regardless because it's "political bullshit."

like come on this is dumb as gently caress.

if you think you get probated unfairly and ask about why, that's punishable by a week? I'm not even poo poo stirring on purpose, this is just so nonsensical i'm saying something because it defies understanding.

Nix Panicus posted:

E: To be clear, GBS should be able to keep their paranoid insular hellzone, but I think its bad for an IK to edit posts without reason

doesn't seem very neutral op

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Instead of completely blanking stupid posts like Pax Nicicus's stupid post, I think Mods or IKs should just add a very obvious notice that responding to that post will be punishable on top of any punishment applied to the idiot poster, like so:

Max Panniculus posted:

Hey I'm crashing into this gibbis politix thread to say something very dumb and contrarian because it gives me an endorphin rush for some demented reason so here's a dozen paragraphs riffing on some poo poo Trotsky said about a completely unrelated historical incident...

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

MOD/IK NOTE: IF YOU REPLY TO THIS MOTHERFUCKER YOUR ACCOUNT, YES YOURS SPECIFICALLY, YOU SPECIFIC GBS POSTER, WILL BE MURDERED WITH AN AXE

I think this would make life easier for everyone.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 21, 2023

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Runa posted:

From the perspective of someone who got a few easy dunks in on Nix Panicus' posts in the gbs ukraine thread, if it's any consolation, they were right about post blanking only being appropriate in extreme circumstances. Their post being blanked was inappropriate. They're absolutely correct on that point.

That said, fluffdaddy also hit a lot of other people for continuing the derail Nix started and judging by the probe reason I imagine fluff also found their points reasonable. That is, up until Nix edited in a petty personal snipe in the end. I can only imagine fluffdaddy was just irritated enough by it to hit it with a longer probation.

But that's just my read on the situation.

this is actually quite fair, thank you.

if you get probed for giving feedback it just seems unnecessary, that's where i was coming from. which the derail didn't come from this thread.

Mekchu posted:

doesn't seem very neutral op

i think it's pretty neutral to be upset over an unfair probe since that should be assumed if someone is coming to complain. work retail a bit.

edit: been informed that this comes across badly, however this was sincere. if you have a customer complaint, it's usually because they're upset about something.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Instead of completely blanking stupid posts like Pax Nicicus's stupid post, I think Mods or IKs should just add a very obvious notice that responding to that post will be punishable on top of any punishment applied to the idiot poster, like so:

I think this would make life easier for everyone.

they already had to crack down on the bloodlust in GBS several times, so i don't think this is a good solution.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 21, 2023

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

HiroProtagonist posted:

work retail a bit.

If only everyone on earth could do this

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

i think it's pretty neutral to be upset over an unfair probe since that should be assumed if someone is coming to complain. work retail a bit.

Maybe learn what 'neutral' means. Also as someone who worked retail for a decade, this still doesn't make it neutral.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Kchama posted:

Maybe learn what 'neutral' means. Also as someone who worked retail for a decade, this still doesn't make it neutral.

Ok. All feedback should be assumed to be coming from a place where the person saying it accepts as a given the reasoning for the thing in question.

why have a thread at all then.

stupid rear end poo poo. call a customer an idiot if you want to but don't invite them to get smile and nodded at unless you want to get treated worse.

please educate me on what "neutral" means, I beg you.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i've worked retail, that's still not neutral lmao. but frankly you're coming off as just looking for people to scream at so have at it hoss.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

A thing being bad doesnt mean another thing is automatically good. The post shouldn't of been deleted (how else are we meant to call him a dumbass) but that doesn't magically mean the punishment is unwarranted foe the bad posting.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

A thing being bad doesnt mean another thing is automatically good. The post shouldn't of been deleted (how else are we meant to call him a dumbass) but that doesn't magically mean the punishment is unwarranted foe the bad posting.

jfc thank you. the bad posting wasn't the thing I was butting in about. it's that feedback in a feedback thread earns you seven times the punishment because "politics bullshit" when that was the reason the poster in question posted ITT at all.

if this is how feedback threads are generally run, it's no mystery why GBS is getting as insular as CSPAM. which should be (imo) the point.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

Ok. All feedback should be assumed to be coming from a place where the person saying it accepts as a given the reasoning for the thing in question.

why have a thread at all then.

stupid rear end poo poo. call a customer an idiot if you want to but don't invite them to get smile and nodded at unless you want to get treated worse.

please educate me on what "neutral" means, I beg you.

Impartial. This isn't graded on a curve. Getting angry because you feel wronged doesn't make your reaction neutral.

HiroProtagonist posted:

jfc thank you. the bad posting wasn't the thing I was butting in about. it's that feedback in a feedback thread earns you seven times the punishment because "politics bullshit" when that was the reason the poster in question posted ITT at all.

if this is how feedback threads are generally run, it's no mystery why GBS is getting as insular as CSPAM. which should be (imo) the point.

You realize Fluffdaddy, the non-GBS admin, gave him the week, right? And he stated his reason why Nix got more than the other politics bullshitters.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

HiroProtagonist posted:

Don't make me tap the sign.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

HiroProtagonist posted:

this is actually quite fair, thank you.

sorry, the only jobs im qualified for are at the dicksucking factory. im afraid i can never understand your point of view

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

The reason why I don't want to hear about politics bullshit in here is because it is irrelevant to the overall feedback of gbs. Not a single post I hit had anything to do with moderator action. You could stretch and say well there were some probes from an IK, but i am not here to litigate sixers.

I don't care what you think about the war in Ukraine. I don't care what side of the conflict you find just or not just. You got two subforums and multiple threads that you can make sure everyone on planet Earth knows just how you feel.

This thread is about feedback on GBS and how it's moderated. There were several dozen pages of good discussion, let's get back to that.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

Don't make me tap the sign.

At least you posted, i'll give you that. Fine, i'll leave this alone after this.

i doubt nix cares but if you'd scale back the probe for their complaint it'd make a better impression on anyone trying to post.

if it was anywhere but this thread a 24 would be whatever but you gave them a week for telling the feedback thread it was hosed up for an IK/mod to edit their post, because the post they got probated for was "political bullshit"

if you don't want to care about political bullshit, then stop inviting threads about it in GBS, that's my feedback.

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

teemolover42069 posted:

sorry, the only jobs im qualified for are at the dicksucking factory. im afraid i can never understand your point of view

there are factories for that?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

b mad at me posted:

Only honest work left, bub

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

b mad at me posted:

buddy, you're posting in one

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

whao that's like an :iceburn: on these forumes

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fluffdaddy posted:

I don't care what you think about the war in Ukraine. I don't care what side of the conflict you find just or not just. You got two subforums

At least three?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

No wonder Jeff's sleepy all the time.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Sorry in advance for the long post but I'd like to propose the following, after reading all this stuff since the start (and not contributing much, because I'm moving, but that's by the by)

*GBS is still a web 1.0 forum but is gradually becoming a kinder and more welcoming place. Schoolyard insults like gay and aids shouldn't be blanket banned but if you post it in a thread and someone is upset enough to report it, you're gonna get a sixer and if you keep posting where you're not wanted you'll eventually get ramped up and lose $10. Read the room.

*Mods should try to understand actual instances of ableism, racism, homophobia, transphobia etc and gradually learn to get a read on them. In the meantime if an instance of something serious is reported, mods should take it seriously without assuming some posting vendetta is going on, google around or reach out, then act on it quickly. This is a lot worse than word filter poo poo. If a mistake is made apologize sincerely and do better. If mods aren't willing or able to do this they can't moderate a community.

*GBS is a big open forum and is the first place people who come to the site will really see. Smaller subforums are more like friendship groups and know who each other are, and can moderate themselves wrt to language, slurs and such. Just because another forum does something doesn't mean GBS can do it. We need to be at a standard that allows anyone to post here and mods need to clamp down not just on instances of rule breaking but also lovely posting that makes GBS a less user friendly place. If this means more mods and IKs to keep an eye on this forum then ugh so be it.

*Connected: Forum wars aren't happening, posters are concerned that the main part of the forums they post in is lovely and it's ok to try to fix it.

*As an aside, megathreads should be tolerated because people love them for some reason but they go rotten and can be unwelcoming to new posters. They should either be rebooted monthly or, in the unlikely occurance that they turn out to be actually good could be moved to the subforum they are better suited for, to allow posters to find new and cool friends and places to post.

I'd really like to assume good faith with the mods, and that they will try to handle issues they don't directly understand a bit better in the future. If a mod is repeatedly making terrible calls and doubling down on mistakes, they should be removed. Anyway I care about these dumb forums I hope we can fix them.

:thanks:

+1 or w/e

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Serious feedback: i dont think there is an issue with megathreads but they need some kind of moderation.

I suggest that the OP of a megathread (that they are specifically setting up as a megathread) has to be its thread IK and put some amount of work into keeping it sane.

If they get bored of IKing it, the thread gets closed and if someone else wants to remake it and take on the IK curse they can do so.

Simultaneously has the effect of ensuring someome interested in the threads wellbeing curates it, and also makes people think about "do i really want to start a megathread about something if i now i have to IK it", so should limit the number of throwaway megathreads. It also means when people get bored of keeping it curated it'll self terminate rather than get wierd.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

not sure people often set out to make megathreads. they'll just post something like "lol at this trump guy" or "check out this submarine" and go from there. the approach makes some sense for rebooting megathreads but i'm still not sure thread poster/thread monitor should be forced to be the same person

easily-replaceable thread IKs for threads that turn into megathreads also makes sense, so long as they are added and removed pretty much on the fly.

don't think it needs to be a universal rule, just a contextual thing. for example the Five Words thread seems to have about four mods in it at any given time so probably does not need additional button janitors

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Drone_Fragger posted:

Serious feedback: i dont think there is an issue with megathreads but they need some kind of moderation.

I suggest that the OP of a megathread (that they are specifically setting up as a megathread) has to be its thread IK and put some amount of work into keeping it sane.

If they get bored of IKing it, the thread gets closed and if someone else wants to remake it and take on the IK curse they can do so.

Simultaneously has the effect of ensuring someome interested in the threads wellbeing curates it, and also makes people think about "do i really want to start a megathread about something if i now i have to IK it", so should limit the number of throwaway megathreads. It also means when people get bored of keeping it curated it'll self terminate rather than get wierd.
Counterpoint, don't give buttons to any idiot who happens to start a megathread.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Yeah I agree with Inexplicable Humblebrag on this one.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

On the other hand someone demanding a Megathread License for their failed concept that gets six posts might be a funny bit

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

not sure people often set out to make megathreads. they'll just post something like "lol at this trump guy" or "check out this submarine" and go from there. the approach makes some sense for rebooting megathreads but i'm still not sure thread poster/thread monitor should be forced to be the same person

easily-replaceable thread IKs for threads that turn into megathreads also makes sense, so long as they are added and removed pretty much on the fly.

don't think it needs to be a universal rule, just a contextual thing. for example the Five Words thread seems to have about four mods in it at any given time so probably does not need additional button janitors

I just want to chime in to say I was given buttons in that thread out of the blue and never actually asked for them.

That said, it's a low stakes thread and we're just having fun posting five words.
Great success for a shitpost I expected to get gassed before waking up next morning. All thanks to the mods who got a sensible chuckle out of it and decided to enforce the rule.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol i did not know the thread actually had an ik

it's a fun thread, i'm not saying do anything to it. just that IKs should be assigned based on context (e.g. it's a contentious topic, the thread wants one because it's fun, we want to punish wizard master whenever he posts, etc) rather than as a general rule

e: and there should be a really low bar for thread IKs, if threads request 'em. if people start being dicks just remove their star again, bish bosh

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

"OP always gets buttons" seems like a recipe for more fiefdom bullshit - not always, but enough times that it could be a problem

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fluffdaddy posted:

The reason why I don't want to hear about politics bullshit in here is because it is irrelevant to the overall feedback of gbs. Not a single post I hit had anything to do with moderator action. You could stretch and say well there were some probes from an IK, but i am not here to litigate sixers.

I don't care what you think about the war in Ukraine. I don't care what side of the conflict you find just or not just. You got two subforums and multiple threads that you can make sure everyone on planet Earth knows just how you feel.

This thread is about feedback on GBS and how it's moderated. There were several dozen pages of good discussion, let's get back to that.

Not going to litigate any of the politics poo poo, but an IK blanking a post because they personally didn't like it should be, and historically has been, immediate removal of buttons. Especially when the IK in question is a former mod who definitely knows better.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
This is broader than GBS feedback but it's getting talked about here so: why does anyone give a crap about IKs editing posts, let alone call for their immediate death over it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

losing your star isn't death, posting isn't that big of a deal

as for why people don't want IKs editing posts, it's because we don't want anyone editing posts outside of stuff that absolutely has to be (doxxing information, gore, etc.) at all. Even outside of how suspicious it looks that a post was hit with punishment but no one can prove what the post actually was anymore, it makes the admin team's job harder in the long run if a poster's paper trail needs to be referenced for future punishments or if the context of a blowup needs to be investigated later.

Even leaving a note that the post was edited at all had to be litigated in SAD because of two mods colluding to obscure the details of one of them doxxing another poster lol

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Also except doxxing/other truly extreme poo poo it's always an extremely blatant abuse of power to go in and change the record of what somebody else said. Like nobody's getting mad at IKs for going in and de-inlining shock images or anything.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

welcome posted:

This is broader than GBS feedback but it's getting talked about here so: why does anyone give a crap about IKs editing posts, let alone call for their immediate death over it.

why would an ik need to edit out anything else? loving with what people wrote on a message board for no good reason is rude as hell. also editing out comments has usually been done for something hosed up, someone accidentally doxing themselves, etc. also i think only admins can find edit histories. also given the historical reservation of not loving with other peoples comments unless it's something hosed up, a lot of people tend to think if a comment was edited out it was probably for a good reason.

i've seen iks in different forums edit out random comments a couple times in the past month or two and i dont remember seeing that before. it's weird and i dont think anyone wants to get in edit wars over comments. save editing other peoples words for actual problems. everything else is what probes or words are for.

that said people who know eachother doing joke edits is usually not a problem. that's a risk reward joke in most cases an ik can do. im just talking about iks who delete a comment they dislike. that should not happen

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't think edit histories are saved at all actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't think edit histories are saved at all actually.

this came up recently in SAD, and the specific text of an edited post isn't saved i think. i do remember that at least jeff and astral can always check who specifically edited the post tho. might have been just admins in general, but that bit came up months ago so i can't remember the specifics from that time.

SpiritOfLenin fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 21, 2023