Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Hungry Cat Nonagrams is always a good puzzle recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sad question
May 30, 2020

Zookepeer DX is just matching animals. Cheap, no microtransactions. No to be confused with Zookeeper Battle which appears to be the opposite.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I've jumped on and off Disco Zoo a bunch of times and it's always a low effort fun time

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Goddamn I am completely hooked on Templar Battleforce. I can't believe I never heard of this before, it's not exactly new. The combat is fun, I like the sorta strategy later of capturing bases to bring in more recruits, cool classes with unique abilities, and the skill tree is loving massive.

Had a weird maybe bug where almost every new recruit was named Eliza? I googled it and nobody else mentioned the name Eliza so idk what the hell is up with that but I had to manually rename like 3 recruits because they were all called Eliza.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 15, 2023

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I'd love to see the concept behind Mystic Vale be worked into a slay the spire type deckbuilder. As in you have a deck of finite cards with multiple slots and you are actually adding effects to those slots so you never end up with more cards they just improve over the course of the game. I mean it's not bad design to have to make interesting choices and one of those choices be "don't take a card at all" but yeah it always feels like you're taking cards 10% of the time.

Dicey Elementalist does this, and it's pretty fun! One of the few deckbuilders where you can sometimes swap your build midrun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't know the type of game this is called, but whatever Snood was... Is there a recommended android version? Premium or freeware, I don't care, as long as there's no p2w bullshit or ads all over the place.

Puzzle bobble? Is that what it is?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Bust-a-move I think was the other name

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't know the type of game this is called, but whatever Snood was... Is there a recommended android version? Premium or freeware, I don't care, as long as there's no p2w bullshit or ads all over the place.

Oh man, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I kinda miss that game, too. Except without the malware or whatever was packaged with it.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

There's a whole bunch of like-that-but-not games for the Saturn. Check out pastel muses.

No idea for those games on mobile.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alucard posted:

Bust-a-move I think was the other name

Bust a move is the Tetris/columns-like, not the shooter-ish thing like Snood.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Bust a move is the Tetris/columns-like, not the shooter-ish thing like Snood.

Nah, Bust-a-Move is definitely a bubble shooter.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

hooah posted:

Nah, Bust-a-Move is definitely a bubble shooter.

Oh, wait, I'm thinking of something else. Nm, I'm an idiot brain! :shobon: I'm thinking of Puyo-puyo

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netflix.NGP.SorasHorizon

A lovely game where you basically use a wingsuit to explore a huge area, doing activities, finding collectibles, completing challenges, and so forth. Really well made (though Id prefer playing it on the Switch instead, if I was given the option). A Netflix game.

Curious that the url I've posted lists it as Sora's Horizon, but the games name is Laya's Horizon.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
They let some streamer build the weekly Super Auto Pets pack this week, and he designed a pack that's bad on purpose. There's a lot of big money stuff and an infinite money combo that's hard to pull off if you live long enough, which you probably will because the pack is geared towards draws. The goal is to find the super-rare sloth and buff it to a 50/50 to get that achievement, which is unlikely to happen normally but some people chase it. As someone who plays the weekly as a way to relax, it sucks rear end and I hope they never do this again.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

MikeRabsitch posted:

I'm afraid to look up when Merge Mayor was talked about here because I STILL play it near daily and it's one of the only minimal bullshit games I've latched onto.

Same, it's easy to play just a few minutes here or there and if I miss a day, I don't care. I love how big my town has gotten!

Rapner
May 7, 2013

MikeRabsitch posted:

I'm afraid to look up when Merge Mayor was talked about here because I STILL play it near daily and it's one of the only minimal bullshit games I've latched onto.

Nonograms katana is also great for long term minimal bullshit fun

Edit: merge mayor seems to be riddled with bullshit. Is no forced ads the bar for quality now?

Rapner fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 19, 2023

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Rapner posted:

Nonograms katana is also great for long term minimal bullshit fun

Edit: merge mayor seems to be riddled with bullshit. Is no forced ads the bar for quality now?

All of merge mayor's bullshit is entirely optional. Energy regenerates at a pretty good pace and the timers get more generous as you unlock stuff. They do keep adding more ways to pay but you can simply ignore it and go at your own pace, you will unlock everything slowly but steadily. I've stopped playing lately but I think it took me about 9 months to complete all of the existing content without paying any money.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Silius posted:

Page is up to let you know when it's out!

Luck be a Landlord

It's now available.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there a good resource for finding new games?

The actual play store sucks rear end and only shows you garbage. I tried looking at some websites and they also only highlight garbage and sponsored content.
Are there no websites that actually show you a list of good games that you can look through to find something interesting?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

Is there a good resource for finding new games?

The actual play store sucks rear end and only shows you garbage. I tried looking at some websites and they also only highlight garbage and sponsored content.
Are there no websites that actually show you a list of good games that you can look through to find something interesting?

You're looking at it (this thread) - what kind of games do you like?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alucard posted:

You're looking at it (this thread) - what kind of games do you like?

It's not that helpful because I play a lot of different kinds of games and there are different things in different genres that I don't like, so it's easier for me to look at a list of suggestions, discard the ones I know I won't like and try out the rest, than trying to find something specific.

The only thing that I know for sure if that when it comes to phone games, I only play the ones that can be played with one finger.
Those virtual joystick type controls are among the worst things I've ever seen.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Android police do weekly and monthly round ups of new releases and what they think are the "best" games.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
A list of "real" games somewhere would be pretty nice. That's super pejorative but I'm not sure exactly what word should be used for games with the same presentation and content availability format as a retail PC or console Video Game while also accounting for the quirks and limitations of mobile as a platform.

Play Pass has actually been pretty cool for finding games like this and I rediscovered the entire genre of puzzle box games like The Room in House of DaVinci and Machinika Museum. They're chill as hell.

Sorta wish there was a Giant Bomb for mobile games but the landscape is so vast and most of it is such a wasteland, combined with the split between "real" games and f2p treadmills that I don't know how you'd even begin to format that.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I believe the term is 'premium games'.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I bought Luck be a Landlord and I dunno what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't a slot machine roguelike.

Although there really isn't a lot of roguelike in there at all so it's just kinda like a slot machine

explosivo fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 21, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Paladinus posted:

I believe the term is 'premium games'.

It's not even that, there are lots of games I've played that are "real" games but still F2P with cash shops. Card Thief, Burrito Bison, and Hoplite are just a few from my currently installed games. I'd say it's more games that demand something of you beyond a smooth path til its time to buy premium currency.

explosivo posted:

I bought Luck be a Landlord and I dunno what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't a slot machine roguelike.

Although there really isn't a lot of roguelike in there at all so it's just kinda like a slot machine

I wasn't entirely sure how the metagame would play out but I mean it was pretty clearly a slot machine game.

I'm playing it and I'm trying to figure out strategies for higher levels, there's a lot of items that sync together but it seems like you *should* be focusing down on a couple paths after you fill the board so there aren't empty spaces, but I'm not sure how often that really works out.

"Adjacency" is weird in this game too. It seems like the edges of the board count for adjacency so if you have an item on the top it can be adjacent with one on the bottom.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 21, 2023

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

CuddleCryptid posted:

"Adjacency" is weird in this game too. It seems like the edges of the board count for adjacency so if you have an item on the top it can be adjacent with one on the bottom.

I haven't played the mobile version but on the desktop version this is not true. Are you sure you didn't have an item that makes more things adjacent? Protractor, Telescope, some others too.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

hooah posted:

Hungry Cat Nonagrams is always a good puzzle recommendation.

I'm really enjoying another nonograms app, mainly the harder puzzles. Does this one have hard ones in it or are they more the easy colouring-based ones?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CuddleCryptid posted:

I wasn't entirely sure how the metagame would play out but I mean it was pretty clearly a slot machine game.

Not implying that I was misled, I just never really looked much into the game beyond the few screenshots on steam and the knowledge that it was highly recommended. I'm having a hell of a time making sense of the items, I feel like I'm randomly choosing things right now but will probably make sense once I learn the mechanics.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

explosivo posted:

Not implying that I was misled, I just never really looked much into the game beyond the few screenshots on steam and the knowledge that it was highly recommended. I'm having a hell of a time making sense of the items, I feel like I'm randomly choosing things right now but will probably make sense once I learn the mechanics.

I am having the same experience. I just finished a run focusing on animals and rocks/gems and then symbols that multiplied the values of those items and was able to clear the first floor.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Every time picross games come up in this thread, I'm reminded of Final Fantasy Picross, and that makes me sad.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

I haven't played the mobile version but on the desktop version this is not true. Are you sure you didn't have an item that makes more things adjacent? Protractor, Telescope, some others too.

It might have been something weird but I see it most with things like the Light bulb which triggers on stuff that it's nowhere near. Idk.

The game is interesting because it's almost like a Slay The Spire-style deck builder. I started blowing up low coin items and skipping turns a lot more in my last run and I've cleared both of the first two levels handily. A small pool of high value cards is critical. It's also why things like King Midas can, per his namesake, get away from you by overflowing your board with gold, although if you have the 3 gold coin item it works out.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

explosivo posted:

You'll start learning the synergies as you start recognizing the symbols, it can be a bit overwhelming at first because there's so many.

If you want a bit of strategy, early on you're just looking to fill reels because SOMETHING will make you earn more money than nothing (barring a couple weird items or symbols), but later you'll need symbols that scale up like Diver or Geologist. The ideal early game is to get items that make money but also destroy themselves eventually like Bubble or Milk (for Cat) to leave room for the late game symbols.

Also, after you pay rent a few times you're guaranteed at least one rare symbol so save rerolls for then, if you can.

On early floors (ascensions) you'll be able to win by cramming basically anything there, and can also afford to skip a lot, but on higher difficulties you'll need to be more selective. End-end-end game is killing yourself with a guillotine, good luck!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Night Danger Moose posted:

I'm really enjoying another nonograms app, mainly the harder puzzles. Does this one have hard ones in it or are they more the easy colouring-based ones?

Most of them aren't too difficult, but there are occasionally ones that can take me a while. Usually the weekly or fresco panels.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lone Goat posted:

You'll start learning the synergies as you start recognizing the symbols, it can be a bit overwhelming at first because there's so many.

Thanks for the tips! I actually just had a really good run focusing on ore/miner/geologist with the light bulb and the maid to buff the gold for all of that and won pretty easily. It definitely is overwhelming at first but I'm getting the hang of it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Do more slots items unlock as you advance in Luck Be A Landlord? I'm on level 6 now and it kind of feels like I've seen most of them already

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Jack Trades posted:

Is it Breach Wanderers you're talking about?

Breach Wanderers finally reached 1.0, and I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it. I've played it through several of its roadmap updates and watched it evolve, and it's at a point where it's reasonably balanced and F2P-accessible.

I pulled the trigger on Luck Be a Landlord, and I like it. I won my second game and I've been trying to work out how I did that since. (I think it was the General guy just eating every other humanoid for big bucks.)

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Gadzuko posted:

All of merge mayor's bullshit is entirely optional. Energy regenerates at a pretty good pace and the timers get more generous as you unlock stuff. They do keep adding more ways to pay but you can simply ignore it and go at your own pace, you will unlock everything slowly but steadily. I've stopped playing lately but I think it took me about 9 months to complete all of the existing content without paying any money.

Not only that - in the first 2 Mayor's cups I got 2nd then 1st.

I wouldn't mind spending money to help them out, but at this point nothing seems worth the value. I'm making constant progress and anything high end to save real time seems to need $$$ worth of gems to do anything.

Best idea I've got so far is to just buy backup bag space, but a few extra slots still seems expensive.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

So the PlayPass thing got some really good offline poo poo since the last time I looked.

FF7, 3 Professor Layton games, King Of Dragon Pass, etc.

Also Legend Of The Keepers, which was in Humble for the PC. It didn't set the world on fire but it's a decent little Dungeon Keeper take with Darkest Dungeons combat. I sunk a couple hours in, it's rocking a 9/10 on Steam, done by a little indie French studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Wrong loving thread

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 22, 2023