Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Also, holy cow Manaslu's summit does not gently caress around.

You can pretty much just wedge your mount into the terrain and mash jump to get up this. Other side is untextured so there's no real point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Vegetable posted:

You joke, but ecosexuality is a thing. In college I attended a guest lecture where the presenters explained what it means to have sex with soil. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone wants to bone a mountain.

Can’t believe you didn’t include this:

https://youtu.be/Kestt5BI3eg

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Or the remix:

https://youtu.be/HU2ftCitvyQ

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I figured it out. It's Manaslu.

From the video:

From Wikimedia:

That is some quality mountain detectiving. It also looked extremely un-Everesty to me but I've never been there so who knows

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Why is Kirk on the mountain

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

quote:

Mount Everest: I wouldn’t be surprised if someone wants to bone a mountain

mods?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
What are the odds that someone has rubbed one out on the summit?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I hear the oxygen deprivation makes it extra good.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Apollodorus posted:

I hear the oxygen deprivation makes it extra good.

David Carradine could have gone out like a hero

More of a hero, I mean

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
"Ohhh he'll be guided by six nice sherpas when he cums"

:banjo:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

weg posted:

"Ohhh he'll be guided by six nice sherpas when he cums"

:banjo:

Pretty sure if they're paying 100k+ to climb everest, they'll be making aggressive eye contact with 6 thoroughly ashamed sherpas when they cum... Maybe 5 shamed and one curious.

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

Or maybe the astronauts are just anomalies. Because the rich adventurer has been a thing since ancient times.

Yeah, it's two separate kinds of people - the self-funded rich guy who goes somewhere because it appeals to him personally, and the government-funded expedition that's achieving some larger political goal (i.e. showing the Russians whose space dick is bigger). In terms of social role, the Apollo astronauts are closer to soldiers than anything else.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
We really should have nuked the moon.

Preferably hard enough to orion platform it home to mother earth.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Outrail posted:

We really should have nuked the moon.

If we put the annihilatrix on the moon we can push it into the roche limit and have nifty rings like saturn

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Canuckistan posted:

What are the odds that someone has rubbed one out on the summit?

Stuck Hillary step-sister.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

If we put the annihilatrix on the moon we can push it into the roche limit and have nifty rings like saturn

Im down for that, but what happens with the tides in this scenario?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zefiel posted:

We still have them, from the Sun, but they have a maximum magnitude of about a third of their present value and little in the way of variation.

e: In the illustration, the rings are in the same plane that the Moon orbited in, which makes no sense, but if they were somehow polar‐orbiting, you’d get tidal effects as points on Earth rotated under them. Being a ring would make the tides weaker, but this scenario started by moving the Moon much closer, and that would make them stronger.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 20, 2023

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

honda whisperer posted:

Stuck Hillary step-sister.

Green Boots rule 34.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Ooo we ooo wee I'm so out of breath don't step on me secretary Clinton

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Okay, cool so we're all agreed we should nuke the moon. So now um the awkward question, does anyone have a couple of million nukes we could borrow for a bit?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Zefiel posted:

Who cares? Rings!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Who cares? Rings!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Okay, cool so we're all agreed we should nuke the moon. So now um the awkward question, does anyone have a couple of million nukes we could borrow for a bit?

I know a guy. But it will cost ya.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redshirt posted:

I know a guy. But it will cost ya.

Hmmm okay, I sorta don't have any money. Maybe we could make a kickstarter.

People love to give to a good cause!

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

dr_rat posted:

Hmmm okay, I sorta don't have any money. Maybe we could make a kickstarter.

People love to give to a good cause!

Make the site play Single Ladies, leverage the buying power of the Beyhive to Put a Ring On It.

wheatpuppy fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 21, 2023

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Did none of you read Seveneves? Breaking up the moon doesn't end well.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Or maybe the astronauts are just anomalies. Because the rich adventurer has been a thing since ancient times.

I read a concept that the 60s-70s were a particularly innovative period because it was a time when there was lots of social support for different things. Previously it was only rich kids who had the opportunity to gently caress off normal work and decide to climb stuff or whatever.

In the 60s if you really wanted to you could drop out and make new kinds of music. Also in things like rock climbing people could just live in a van by a crag, and there was an explosion in what people were doing, and the technology adapted alongside. Good poo poo.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

I read a concept that the 60s-70s were a particularly innovative period because it was a time when there was lots of social support for different things. Previously it was only rich kids who had the opportunity to gently caress off normal work and decide to climb stuff or whatever.

In the 60s if you really wanted to you could drop out and make new kinds of music. Also in things like rock climbing people could just live in a van by a crag, and there was an explosion in what people were doing, and the technology adapted alongside. Good poo poo.

I've read maybe a dozen astronaut biographies and the first few chapters are always a bit of a slog. Born on a farm, or in a forgettable part of a larger city, inspired by airplanes and mechanical stuff and maybe astronomy. Go to a decent school. Get the engineering scholarship or join the military to become a pilot. Hear that Nasa is recruiting. Apply, get accepted after a few stumbles. Walk on the moon.

But the similarities of those early lives is what's remarkable. None of these guys were old money, or even new money. And they were born in the right age and right country (and right religion and race) to utilize as much of their talent as possible.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

dr_rat posted:

Nasa is working with aussie mining scientists on methods to mine the moon for oxygen, so give em time they're going to do it for you

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

DPM posted:

Nasa is working with aussie mining scientists on methods to mine the moon for oxygen, so give em time they're going to do it for you

The easiest method would be to nuke them moon to dust than just vacuum up all the oxygen you need.

NASA pay me contractor money for nuking the moon!!!!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I went and met a bunch of them a while back where they were sitting at booths, signing autographs, for a fee (minimum $150 for those who went to the moon; shuttle folks were a better bargain). And it threw me off for the whole event. Surely Michael Collins and Charlie Duke are doing just fine, right? But we just assume they live in mansions and get big speaking fees because they did those great adventures. The rich adventurers, and aspirational adventurers, are chasing that glory from the opposite end, and that feeds our perception of the wealth of the original adventurers.

Rich adventurers, got it in one

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

this is what happens when you have a robust social security system and people aren't faced with the choice of work or starve

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I mean I feel like the DoD budget being like 4x as large as a % of GDP as it is currently and the whole race with the USSR for space and such also had an effect. The government was pouring buckets of money into whatever tech they could think of to try to get an edge.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
https://explorersweb.com/harila-tops-out-on-broad-peak-gasherbrum-summit-waves/

I can't remember if this has come up here yet, but Norwegian climber Kristin Harila is close to completing the 14 8,000m peaks in just 3 months. She just needs to summit K2 in the next few days. (Of all the mountains to leave for last, yeesh.)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I would do k2 first so I die before having to climb all the other ones but I guess the season doesn't work like that

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ethanol posted:

I would do k2 first so I die before having to climb all the other ones but I guess the season doesn't work like that

Annapurna is the one where you roll a d8 and on a one the avalanche gets you independent on your skill.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Yeah but did she climb one of them hungover and then rescue someone on the way down

Man that movie was friggen wild

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

ranbo das posted:

I mean I feel like the DoD budget being like 4x as large as a % of GDP as it is currently and the whole race with the USSR for space and such also had an effect. The government was pouring buckets of money into whatever tech they could think of to try to get an edge.

It's why I love reading about it. Going to the moon was an engineering challenge solved by dumping insane amounts of money at it. Just wish we could have done the same for more space probes and telescopes.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Also, I just realized that Annapurna first-summiter Maurice Herzog is not the filmmaker Werner Herzog. I always wondered why Werner wrote a book about that mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

It's why I love reading about it. Going to the moon was an engineering challenge solved by dumping insane amounts of money at it. Just wish we could have done the same for more space probes and telescopes.

Yeah and it makes you wonder what other engineering challenges could be solved with sufficient time, attention, and other resources.

Like, I dunno, fusion. Or public health. Or hunger. Maybe they would be if there were a way to involve defense contractors with parts sourced from the maximum number of congressional districts in solving them.