Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Creating and running meetings is management's job, if they wanted me to do that they'd compensate me accordingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Car Hater posted:

Lol yeah only people I'm tight with get any sort of inquiry about how they're doing

I don't think you understand the point of forcing them into awkward small talk.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Volmarias posted:

Wish granted. This is now the dxt memorial janitorial services nook.

That doesn't sound nearly as bad tbh.

What really would be nice would be to name the supply closet after me so people can remember me when they steal batteries and pens to take home.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Ultimate insult would be having a permanent Zoom link named after you.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I don't understand people that create days-long "free" meetings on my calendar for their OOO / PTO. I don't want to see your time off on my calendar. I'll know you're out of office because you (hopefully) put an OOO message in your Outlook, and (hopefully) let the project team know in advance.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I don't understand people that create days-long "free" meetings on my calendar for their OOO / PTO. I don't want to see your time off on my calendar. I'll know you're out of office because you (hopefully) put an OOO message in your Outlook, and (hopefully) let the project team know in advance.

My current team at work insists we do this and I don't really get it either. I do it because they want it but I also do an OOO for the actual days and times I will be away because I'm not a psychopath.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I like it when my immediate team members do it, but if you're outside of my team I'm super not interested

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I decline the ooo notifications because I’m not going on vacation with them! Weird!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

it's not that weird, it's literally just a way for a group of people to be aware of an event ahead of it happening and coordinate potential conflicts

it's just an alternative to having a team vacation calendar

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Va...cation?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Fool posted:

We have one of those. Someone still sends the invites.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

it's not that weird, it's literally just a way for a group of people to be aware of an event ahead of it happening and coordinate potential conflicts

We have a team vacation calendar and people do that poo poo anyway.

...and don't put it on the vacation calendar.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Same thing for the team vacation calendar here. People will create an event on the team vacation calendar, but invite everyone on the team to the event as well. And then, nobody consults anybody else's time off to figure out conflicts. In the summer, it's just loops of OOO messages pointing to people that are also OOO.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sundae posted:

We have a team vacation calendar and people do that poo poo anyway.

...and don't put it on the vacation calendar.

Olifantenpad

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Cael posted:

I swear, this past week has been me getting increasingly pissed of at people who have the inability to just stand up and make any kind of decision. Set a timeline / have an actual opinion / ANYTHING, and not what springs to mind here
Manager: What do you think we should do?
Me: Here's a Decision. We've made this Decision before, so it's backed up by experience of what happened other times. I've personally handled this kind of Decision before and am ready to march with it.
Manager: No, I still think I'd rather stick with no decision.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Not that anyone cares, but I feel like I’m stuck in limbo right now and was wondering if anyone has dealt with this before. Have (had?) a tentative offer for a good role at a small company in my biz, think 40-50 people. Good reputation and products. Flew up to interview owners in may, accepted their offer but said can we talk about salary a bit first and moving stuff? I’ve been “talking” to them every week (try to call, send email, text) to ask about those things and also try to take them up on an offer to start before actually starting and doing some consulting work.

Last time I got any communication back from them was before July 4th, and my spider senses are starting to rise. They are extremely busy and short staffed, but drat. Even got their blessing to speak at an event next month, and then complete radio silence.

Has this job collapsed? How long should I wait before mentally telling myself I’ve been ghosted and I have to resume job hunting in earnest?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you accepted their offer and don’t know about salary and relocation then no you didn’t accept an offer?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, this is full of red flags and you should keep looking and absolutely not work for this company.

You don't "accept an offer" when there is no complete offer. It sounds like at most you have expressed you intent to engage in compensation negotiations. And this conference......on your dime? Representing them? Why?

If nobody got back to you in over 2 weeks it's not because they are busy, it's because they are hiding. There is no job (anymore).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I was about to ask if you're absolutely certain it's not going to turn out to be an MLM, but the problem is getting them to stop contacting you so I guess not

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Bad phrasing, I told them I wanted the job but said let’s talk more about salary etc.. also I’m not going to an event for the explicit purpose of representing them, I was approached to speak regardless of who I’m with, and asked hopeful future boss if they had any problems with it.

Magic 8 ball not looking optimistic though.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
So best case here sounds like they still want you, you have a job, but they are so overwhelmed/understaffed/incompetent that they are unable to take the (relatively short) steps to close out the deal with you, which would directly contribute to solving the overwhelmed/understaffed/incompetent problem?

It sounds like the place is small, and the smaller they are, the more likely some legitimate unexpected delay came up. But that also means the underlying chaos is even worse, and will not have been dealt with when you arrive.

None of this bodes well. Especially reading you've been at this negotiating stage since May.

lovely problem to have, really. What a let down. I feel for you. Fingers crossed there's a hail mary turnaround and it all works out.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Oh God, I'm taking an interview with the Mouse. Why am I doing this to myself

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Omne posted:

Looking at their stock chart compared to SP500 over past number of years, are you confident putting eggs in that basket? I say that as a Bob Iger fan myself.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Omne posted:

Masochism

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Deadite posted:

There should be a test in interviews to weed out people like this

"Pretend we're in a scenario where you need to ask me a question over IM, how would you ask it?"

if they say "I'd send 'Hi ____, How are you?'" or any variation thereof, the interview is over

Thanks, I'm using this.

Car Hater posted:

Am I a bad person for pretty much exclusively asking when someone has time for an actual chat so that I can ask my question without posting a whole page of :words:?

Perfectly acceptable, just state it in the form of "Hi X, I wanted to pick your brain about Y and show you this document/problem that I'm working on, can you let me know when you're free for a call and a screen share, or would you rather I book something in your calendar? Thanks!"

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 21, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Mousochism

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

~Coxy posted:

Perfectly acceptable, just state it in the form of "Hi X, I wanted to pick your brain about Y and show you this document/problem that I'm working on, can you let me know when you're free for a call and a screen share, or would you rather I book something in your calendar? Thanks!"

Nah I mean no Y. Never Y. If I say why I might as well ask Google

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Car Hater posted:

Nah I mean no Y. Never Y. If I say why I might as well ask Google

Ok and this is something you're unashamed to admit semi-publicly?

Management material.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Jenkl posted:

Ok and this is something you're unashamed to admit semi-publicly?

Management material.

I like actually accomplishing things, so no thanks

Do not, my friends become addicted to titles! They will take hold of you and you will resent your meetings!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Car Hater posted:

I like actually accomplishing things, so no thanks

Do not, my friends become addicted to titles! They will take hold of you and you will resent your meetings!

Personally, I like getting paid; as far as I can tell, when walking THAT path all roads lead to management.

I mean, I'm still an IC (hoping to fix that with whatever move I make next, even though people keep trying to bend my ear about how great laterals are) so maybe I'll change my tune when I finally get what (I think) I want :v:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Haha no i do this too. Goons tend to exist in a world with few grey areas, but this is one. Vast majority of the time I won’t say hi and shut up, but sometimes I am asking if the person is around to chat, as that will be the most efficient way to discuss whatever vs. asynchronous. And better than email.

Downside of this is asking on off hours if you can chat soon and someone going "Sure! I'm available now!" and then calling you immediately when you had no expectation or intention of addressing it till the next day.

This is one of the many downsides of Teams where people see a green dot and think "This person is Available!"

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Company has been completely hell-bent on pushing some sort of external software called TeamGuru lately.

I've been through several "training" sessions where somebody blitzes through all the "functionality" it has, and while orders keep coming down from On High that we are to Start Using It, nobody can actually tell me what the gently caress they want me to do with it.

As far as I can tell, it's some sort of workflow management tool that almost seems like a solution looking for a problem. It's fancy, I guess, and in theory if everybody in the organization utilized it 100% then it could - theoretically - make handing off roles from one person to another much smoother. But it seems like to get to that state, you have to dump hundreds of hours into setting it up and maintaining it, which . . . well, if we had that time, we'd all have perfectly updated desk manuals already?

My take so far is "Wow, this seems like a lot of work to go through to prepare to do my work, while doing its best to avoid providing me, personally, any value whatsoever."

It DOES seem like it was designed from the ground up to allow for all kinds of nanny-state garbage, giving a bunch of reporting functionality on who has completed their checklists and whatnot. Which, given how often I get stupid questions from corporate about how or why I did something, I strongly suspect this is the primary goal of it.

I figure at best, it'll be another shiny app that is completely forgotten about in a few months; at worst, it'll usher in a new (or at least different) flavor of micromanagement. Surely, though, that will resolve our Omaha Beach-levels of attrition :v:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

HiroProtagonist posted:

Downside of this is asking on off hours if you can chat soon and someone going "Sure! I'm available now!" and then calling you immediately when you had no expectation or intention of addressing it till the next day.

This is one of the many downsides of Teams where people see a green dot and think "This person is Available!"

Yeah, I pretty much have a personal rule that I don't reach out to anyone on Teams after 5pm* - at that point, it's either an email or a reminder on my calendar to follow up tomorrow morning.

*for global team members I always try and get a feel for what their "standard" day is and follow that instead

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Zarin posted:

Surely, though, that will resolve our Omaha Beach-levels of attrition :v:

Sounds like some of the people the idea guys sold this to probably should have been on omaha beach tbh, thats for sure

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What's your opinion on people eating during Zoom calls.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Corporate Megathread: Mousochism

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Busy Bee posted:

What's your opinion on people eating during Zoom calls.

Snacks is eh whatever.

Four course meal is a power move.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Turn your microphone off if you have to eat. Horrible people with their munching sounds. Ugh

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah I don’t care if you eat as long as you’re a passive participant, on mute, and off camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Zarin posted:

Personally, I like getting paid; as far as I can tell, when walking THAT path all roads lead to management.

I mean, I'm still an IC (hoping to fix that with whatever move I make next, even though people keep trying to bend my ear about how great laterals are) so maybe I'll change my tune when I finally get what (I think) I want :v:

Nah I'm way too spectrumy to live with the double-speak and myopic obsession with quarterly KPIs. Entering management actively erodes your brain, it's like a diet of pure sugar for your teeth. Not worth the extra money when I already have the power to say whether and when I'll do OT.