Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

The Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee in the 90s. They renamed themselves the Titans, but kept the trademarks and such for the Oilers.

When Houston got an expansion team, they couldn't be named the Oilers because of this. So now Houston's team is stuck with the dumbass name the Texans, when everyone just wants them to be named the Oilers.

Some more flavor:

The owner of the Oilers left the city under very bad blood. Last year the Texans asked the Titans for permission to use the Oilers jerseys for a specific throwback jersey game. The owner's daughter, who now runs things, not only said no, but that the Titans will use the jersey instead in what everyone is taking as a pure spite move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

zoux posted:

Is there a gay club in BCS

Halo is the big one, I think there are one or two more

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Even has a regionally famous drag show! And is probably still the best dance spot in town

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

i say swears online posted:

the Texans have the worst name in professional or college sports

It bothers me when swears is right.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dameius posted:

Some more flavor:

The owner of the Oilers left the city under very bad blood. Last year the Texans asked the Titans for permission to use the Oilers jerseys for a specific throwback jersey game. The owner's daughter, who now runs things, not only said no, but that the Titans will use the jersey instead in what everyone is taking as a pure spite move.

It stung even more that Cleveland got an expansion team the same year as Houston, but their hated owner who moved the team at least had the decency to leave Cleveland the rights to the "Browns" branding and history.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

It stung even more that Cleveland got an expansion team the same year as Houston, but their hated owner who moved the team at least had the decency to leave Cleveland the rights to the "Browns" branding and history.

I think that was the league stepping in in that case

E: it was a condition of the lawsuit settlement

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 20, 2023

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

i say swears online posted:

the Texans have the worst name in professional or college sports

Pretty sure that title is still held by any entity that uses outdated/slur nicknames for Native Americans and their tribes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I pray to His Glory On High that one day some high-falutin' carpetbagger buys the Texans, moves them out of Texas, and keeps the name

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

jokes posted:

I pray to His Glory On High that one day some high-falutin' carpetbagger buys the Texans, moves them out of Texas, and keeps the name

When Texas goes blue.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dameius posted:

When Texas goes blue.

Ah so potentially tomorrow!!!!!!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Any day now!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dameius posted:

When Texas goes blue.

Blue like in from choking to death or drowning?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Jiro posted:

Pretty sure that title is still held by any entity that uses outdated/slur nicknames for Native Americans and their tribes.

Texan is a slur.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Jiro posted:

Blue like in from choking to death or drowning?

Freezing to death when the grid shuts down.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Google Jeb Bush posted:

didn't happen but if it did then good

nobody tell these fuckos about Halo

Very likely didn't happen: the official uniform for all wait staff at Olive Garden is a white shirt and slacks.

I also have doubts on the "Family Friend".

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

Texan is a slur.

Tell that to the Alamosexuals

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Jiro posted:

Tell that to the Alamosexuals

They won't remember.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
:thunk:

https://twitter.com/TexasMonthly/status/1682188390056247297

kittenchops
Jul 24, 2013

Are they just republicans running on a republican ticket and they're trying to primary some other (also) republican???

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

jokes posted:

Move them to France.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Move them to France.

The reverse Jean Girard.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The New YOURK Texans!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

zoux posted:

Is there a gay club in BCS

Dan Campbell just felt a rabbit run over his grave.

And that’s exactly what we’re gonna do to em Ags!

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Banks out

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bwee when did you move to Texas

But yes

https://twitter.com/patricksvitek/status/1682385405524717568?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol good first post

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
this is like some sort of reverse affirmative action where the new tamu president is guaranteed to be an old white dude

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

john sharp will be the first democrat to win statewide in texas since john sharp in 1994

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
hey tamu - Tucker Carlson is available

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Jake Gittes posted:

this is like some sort of reverse affirmative action where the new tamu president is guaranteed to be an old white dude

I’m putting my bets on “old white dude who thinks Bobby petrino did nothing wrong”, giving a boost to Bobby petrino’s grand plan to make bobby petrino the king of the aggies

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Jake Gittes posted:

The schadenfreude second hand embarrassment of him being a&m president is not worth the actual damage he'll do making that school and its students worse worse worse

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How much worse can they get

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

The Bananana posted:

The schadenfreude second hand embarrassment of him being a&m president is not worth the actual damage he'll do making that school and its students worse worse worse

agree to disagree

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005

I'm a professor here, two years in October

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Bwee posted:

goondolences

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

Jake Gittes posted:

also I think glenn beck lives in the dfw area

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bwee posted:

Tenured or getting strung along by the promise of tenure that they will never actually fulfill?

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

PostNouveau posted:

Tenured or getting strung along by the promise of tenure that they will never actually fulfill?

Nah, they have 8 years to go

I'm sorry

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Is this as bad as the headline implies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sir Tonk posted:

Is this as bad as the headline implies?

It was pretty bad. They hired a black woman to overhaul the journalism department, then right-wingers threw a shitfit about DEI or whatever, so A&M reneged on her offer and told her she could be at-will probationary head of the department for one year. The prospect turned them down and took it to the media.

quote:

The latest fracas on campus that led to Banks’ resignation comes after the university’s faculty senate passed a resolution Wednesday to create a fact-finding committee into the mishandling of the hiring of McElroy. During that meeting, Banks told faculty members that she did not approve changes to an offer letter that led a prospective journalism professor to walk away from negotiations amid conservative backlash to her hiring.

But she took responsibility for the flawed hiring process.

McElroy, an experienced journalism professor currently working at the University of Texas at Austin who previously worked as an editor at The New York Times, turned down an offer to reboot A&M’s journalism program after a fraught negotiation process first reported by The Texas Tribune. What originally was a tenure-track offer was reduced to a five-year position, then to a one-year position from which she could be fired at any time.