Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Charles Bukowski posted:

If a post was blanked to avoid a derail or drama, it wasn't abuse. Why the hyperbole? None of this is a big loving deal.

Blanking posts outside specific extreme cases has never really been a thing here outside the FYAD style forums. It's always been common sense that you don't do that, and if you do then you will lose your buttons. By popular acclamation, and edict from above it is abuse, and the common punishment for it reflects that yes, it is a fairly large deal within the usual scope of moderation.

My suggestion is that if you want to try and change that policy then your best bet would be making a thread in SAD to talk about it because it's a forum-wide issue as opposed to just GBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yup.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Babe Magnet posted:

Even leaving a note that the post was edited at all had to be litigated in SAD because of two mods colluding to obscure the details of one of them doxxing another poster lol

lol

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Blanking posts outside specific extreme cases has never really been a thing here outside the FYAD style forums. It's always been common sense that you don't do that, and if you do then you will lose your buttons. By popular acclamation, and edict from above it is abuse, and the common punishment for it reflects that yes, it is a fairly large deal within the usual scope of moderation.

My suggestion is that if you want to try and change that policy then your best bet would be making a thread in SAD to talk about it because it's a forum-wide issue as opposed to just GBS.

My anecdote is that I haven't heard anyone complaining about loving around with posts until relatively recently, and from people I tend to lump together as "agitators." If I'm in the minority than I apologize for my sweeping remarks, but it smacks of much ado about nothing to me. Just post and have fun :)

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Charles Bukowski posted:

If a post was blanked to avoid a derail or drama, it wasn't abuse. Why the hyperbole? None of this is a big loving deal.

of all the things someone with the measly little authority of an ik, mod or admin of a 2.5 decades old internet forum could do wrong, blanking someone's posts without good reason has to be like top 5, only behind stuff like reading/posting someone's pms / sensitive info without permission or using the forums sell drugs or some poo poo. no it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but in the context of that position of authority yes it absolutely is a big deal

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Charles Bukowski posted:

It's a big deal because we cannot go back and see what it says unless quoted. We are trusted with extra functions on this site and using them outside of expectations is a breach of trust.

It might not be a big deal to you but to the admin staff it is a huge deal.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Charles Bukowski posted:

from people I tend to lump together as "agitators."

found the problem

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

noticing the agitator crew has been fairyl active recently. anyone else noticing this>?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Posts aren't important pieces of public report and editing an inconsequential post is such a pretty thing to get pissy about or to call "abuse" lol that it's hard not to see it as performative. That was the case with the supposed grand conspiracy between cinci and Franz as well.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

I stopped posting on an industry forum a few years ago because they started editing posts for 'better SEO'. It's weird to see your identity associated with words someone else has written.

Charles Bukowski posted:

My anecdote is that I haven't heard anyone complaining about loving around with posts until relatively recently, and from people I tend to lump together as "agitators."

Can I see the list?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Posts aren't important pieces of public report and editing an inconsequential post is such a pretty thing to get pissy about or to call "abuse" lol that it's hard not to see it as performative. That was the case with the supposed grand conspiracy between cinci and Franz as well.

I could edit your posts declaring that you love children without leaving a trace that I did it. How is that okay?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

noticing the agitator crew has been fairyl active recently. anyone else noticing this>?

now that you mention it..... hmmmmm............

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

welp time to round up the agitators. I'll start the spreadsheet

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Charles Bukowski posted:

My anecdote is that I haven't heard anyone complaining about loving around with posts until relatively recently, and from people I tend to lump together as "agitators." If I'm in the minority than I apologize for my sweeping remarks, but it smacks of much ado about nothing to me. Just post and have fun :)

:) Show us the spreadsheet :)

EDIT: it hasn't been done a lot until recently which is why Agitator Crew started doing more noticing

Tokyo Sexwale fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 21, 2023

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Posts aren't important pieces of public report and editing an inconsequential post is such a pretty thing to get pissy about or to call "abuse" lol that it's hard not to see it as performative.
Well yeah but that's also true of being ik or being allowed to post on this forum. It's a completely inconsequential punishment.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

steinrokkan posted:

Posts aren't important pieces of public report

exactly, which is why there is very little reason for someone to think "i should edit or blank this" unless it is dangerous material. iks are not there to clean up posts and when they do they should have a good explanation as to why they did it. i even think leeway can be given for misidentifying pii or misclicking while posting in a fast moving thread, but that's entirely different circumstances

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

I wouldn't post on a website where I thought it was even remotely acceptable for admins or mods or iks to ever do this, except in the most extreme cases. I think most people probably feel the same way.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I wish I was an agitator :(

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

steinrokkan posted:

If it's true that they (IK's and mods) were specifically told by admins not to do that on several occasions outside of editing out content which is truly harmful and then did it anyway why should the admins keep that IK around?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I think it's bizarre that people think having buttons removed is a harsh punishment that needs to be justified in any way

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Fluffdaddy posted:

I could edit your posts declaring that you love children without leaving a trace that I did it. How is that okay?

So, your example didn't happen and isn't close to what happened. The slippery slope fallacy doesn't go too far with me.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Starsfan posted:

If it's true that they (IK's and mods) were specifically told by admins not to do that on several occasions outside of editing out content which is truly harmful and then did it anyway why should the admins keep that IK around?

Smugworth did it and was never told not to do it. I don't think IK powers are well explained to new staff possibly?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

If an IK blanks your post and gives you a probation, there is literally no way for anyone to check what the post said. If an IK blanked your post and gave you a sixer that said "Placeholder. What is wrong with you, don't post racist genocidal rants about African people" we cannot check if that is actually what you posted and you should be permabanned or if they were abusing their power because they don't like you and they are maliciously scheming to get you permabanned or if they misread something and overreacted. That's an extreme hypothetical but it is a power that could be abused so we take it seriously, and removing someone from being an IK is not a very big deal.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Charles Bukowski posted:

So, your example didn't happen and isn't close to what happened. The slippery slope fallacy doesn't go too far with me.

It's not a slippery slope fallacy, its just the reason that editing posts is not tolerated is because it can be used for bad purposes and it's not traceable.

It would be slippery slope if because we allow something then something else happens. Not we don't allow something because there are bad case scenarios we can't avoid.

Edit: To be clear my feedback is IK/Mods/Admins shouldn't edit posts without very good reason like doxxing. I don't want somebody else changing what I wrote.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 21, 2023

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The only reason anybody is pushing back against this is because of who it was done to. Nix posted badly, as usual for all the war threads on this site, but there was *nothing* truly objectionable about the post that was blanked and the fact that it was done so makes it look like a lovely gotcha (which is in character for GIR ime elsewhere on the forums)

That's a garbage way to moderate even at the IK level and there is no doubt in my mind that if the same had been done to the people in here complaining by some DnD mod or whatever they'd be all about a de-IKing in SAD

Quit with the forums wars and just look at poo poo objectively here, this thread was doin good

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

someone give me a grey star so I can edit this guy's posts to praise Stalin

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Charles Bukowski posted:

Smugworth did it and was never told not to do it. I don't think IK powers are well explained to new staff possibly?

when I got my IK star pragmatica PMed me like a week later being like "poo poo did jeff not give you the IK guide, okay, hold on"

I think not editing someone else's posts is like, p. obvious though

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Charles Bukowski posted:

that's not a slippery slope fallacy at all. just because someone faced consequences for doing something wrong, but what they did wrong could have been worse, doesn't make it a slippery slope fallacy. the reason it's not ok to do that is because there is no way to differentiate between a benign post that was blanked, and a horrible post that was blanked. that's what fluffdaddy is trying to tell you. it cannot be allowed because the person blanking the post could just say it was whatever and there is no way to prove it. that's not slippery slope, it's saying 'this is the clear and present danger that such behavior presents, to everyone, and that is why this cannot be allowed'

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

The only reason anybody is pushing back against this is because of who it was done to. Nix posted badly, as usual for all the war threads on this site, but there was *nothing* truly objectionable about the post that was blanked and the fact that it was done so makes it look like a lovely gotcha (which is in character for GIR ime elsewhere on the forums)

That's a garbage way to moderate even at the IK level and there is no doubt in my mind that if the same had been done to the people in here complaining by some DnD mod or whatever they'd be all about a de-IKing in SAD

Quit with the forums wars and just look at poo poo objectively here, this thread was doin good

Agreed entirely, even if the intention is good the execution was terrible.

(Incidentally the IK or mod who was blanking charles bukowskis posts elsewhere needs looking into, if the allegations are true. A lot of the complaints they are raising seem to be "well it happened to me and I didnt care, so why should you care", and the answer is it shouldn't of happened in the first place and needs rectifying)

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

death cob for cutie posted:

when I got my IK star pragmatica PMed me like a week later being like "poo poo did jeff not give you the IK guide, okay, hold on"

I think not editing someone else's posts is like, p. obvious though

Yeah, Tarquinn was telling me he got a PM from Prag too, so it does look like some people were given guidelines. I was not one of them lol
But as I already said, we've told the GBS IKs a few times now what the policy is on post edits AND Commie was apparently a Moderator beforehand, so there's really no excuse for it.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

One nuance I'd like to throw in to the blanking conversation: There were a few points when the bitcoin thread(s) were having to suffer through a flood of posts from a serial re-reg poster. Despite the swift bans that came through, the only thing that seemed to really get them to stop was when mods started blanking their wall-of-text posts.

So I think that blanking posts can be an effective moderation action that improves the forums outside of just removing PII/table breaking/illegal content. There's clearly a massive hole in the forum's technical capabilities, though, if there's no way to audit those changes.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

When I was made thread IK a got a PM from Prag with rules/guidelines

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Solefald posted:

Yeah, Tarquinn was telling me he got a PM from Prag too, so it does look like some people were given guidelines. I was not one of them lol
But as I already said, we've told the GBS IKs a few times now what the policy is on post edits AND Commie was apparently a Moderator beforehand, so there's really no excuse for it.

commiegir wasn't just a mod, they were a maligned d&d mod who somehow got buttons back

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

Agreed entirely, even if the intention is good the execution was terrible.

(Incidentally the IK or mod who was blanking charles bukowskis posts elsewhere needs looking into, if the allegations are true. A lot of the complaints they are raising seem to be "well it happened to me and I didnt care, so why should you care", and the answer is it shouldn't of happened in the first place and needs rectifying)

You're also forgetting their key point of "The only people complaining are 'agitators'"

Other people's posts shouldn't be hosed with except for poo poo like doxxing, NWS images, or a post that breaks the forums, and if they ARE edited, then who did it should put why and alter as little as possible.

If people disagree, I volunteer to be an IK for a week and I'll edit all their posts and we'll see how it goes.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

You're also forgetting their key point of "The only people complaining are 'agitators'"

Other people's posts shouldn't be hosed with except for poo poo like doxxing, NWS images, or a post that breaks the forums, and if they ARE edited, then who did it should put why and alter as little as possible.

If people disagree, I volunteer to be an IK for a week and I'll edit all their posts and we'll see how it goes.

I'm ageeing its bad? Like commiegir shouldn't of blanked it even if it was coming from trying to moderate.

Whats Charles not liking some posters got to do with anything. Its an online forum, i would be astonished if everyone liked everyone else.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

When I was made thread IK a got a PM from Prag with rules/guidelines

I feel so left out. :smith:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

I'm ageeing its bad? Like commiegir shouldn't of blanked it even if it was coming from trying to moderate.

Whats Charles not liking some posters got to do with anything. Its an online forum, i would be astonished if everyone liked everyone else.

Part of Charles's logic was

Charles Bukowski posted:

My anecdote is that I haven't heard anyone complaining about loving around with posts until relatively recently, and from people I tend to lump together as "agitators."

Part of their reasoning isn't just "I didn't care, so you shouldn't" but also "I don't like the people who care, so you shouldn't". You and I both agree post blanking is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

LanceHunter posted:

One nuance I'd like to throw in to the blanking conversation: There were a few points when the bitcoin thread(s) were having to suffer through a flood of posts from a serial re-reg poster. Despite the swift bans that came through, the only thing that seemed to really get them to stop was when mods started blanking their wall-of-text posts.

So I think that blanking posts can be an effective moderation action that improves the forums outside of just removing PII/table breaking/illegal content. There's clearly a massive hole in the forum's technical capabilities, though, if there's no way to audit those changes.
I don't know if it's a part of the rules, but blanking seraph's posts are a good idea.