Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Hopefully he can return before season end?

https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/1682091589265674240?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

no info on the actual fracture yet except that he doesn't need surgery, best case he's back mid-September but I think that's probably overly optimistic.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Jays pick up reliever Genesis Cabrera (5.06 ERA 36 IP) from the Cardinals for a catching prospect and designate Trent Thornton (career 4.77 but only 5 IP this season), which appears to be exchanging someone they don't trust for someone they also don't trust but is left handed

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

no info on the actual fracture yet except that he doesn't need surgery, best case he's back mid-September but I think that's probably overly optimistic.

They put him on 10-day IL initially. We're still not entirely sure how bad it is or how long the recovery is. Still sucks. Really been rooting for Jarred.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I wish I had seen this live

https://twitter.com/jake_mintz/status/1682466954240577537?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Wish he would get DFA’d while wearing that get-up

bees x1000 posted:

now I'm imagining Space Jam but it's Ohtani and baseball and Ghibli.

That would be amazing

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jose Trevino is out for the season

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

IcePhoenix posted:

Jordan did pretty good for just dropping into AA without playing in I assume 14 or so years

Not a single other player in the NBA could have batted .200 in double-A ball. (Did he even get that high?)

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

.202 in 127 games. That is way more play time than I thought he did.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

bees x1000 posted:

now I'm imagining Space Jam but it's Ohtani and baseball and Ghibli.

don’t tease me with things we can never have

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Robert Facepalmer posted:

.202 in 127 games. That is way more play time than I thought he did.

That ain't nothing!

I mean that in the positive sense although I now realize it could be interpreted either way

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

don’t tease me with things we can never have

Somebody write the script, I'll start the wiki page

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
N: https://twitter.com/Phillies/status/1682471817976467456?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
V: IT BEGINS

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

FlamingLiberal posted:

So begins the Ben Rortveldt era.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mdemone posted:

Not a single other player in the NBA could have batted .200 in double-A ball. (Did he even get that high?)

The White Sox started him in AA, he didn't play any A ball or Rookie league

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Jordan Rides the Bus was one of the better 30 for 30s imo.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
it helped put things in context, specifically that he was playing really loving good for a dude over 30 who dropped into AA

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Jordan slashed 202/.290/.266 in AA as a 31 year old who had not played baseball in any professional capacity prior in his life. There are actual guys in their prime spending their whole lives trying to play MLB who get to AA and hit similar or worse.

Like yeah he didn't hit well in a vacuum, but considering the circumstances what he did was actually pretty impressive and speaks to his abilities as a world class athlete.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Hitting baseballs is hard and Jordan was better at it than 99.9% of people but to get to the majors you gotta be better than like 99.999%

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

maffew buildings posted:

it helped put things in context, specifically that he was playing really loving good for a dude over 30 who dropped into AA

Yeah he was not MLB good, but compared to Tebow who tried to do something similar while much younger Jordan looks great

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://twitter.com/jmjones/status/1682433864726204416

lol this thread rules

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
My brother's new apartment has 2 parking spots and is a 30 minute walk to the LF field Dodgers Stadium entrance. LFG :getin:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

He did it kicking a water cooler? God drat that is embarrassing.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Gorman Thomas posted:

My brother's new apartment has 2 parking spots and is a 30 minute walk to the LF field Dodgers Stadium entrance. LFG :getin:

That’s still a bit of a hike but definitely better than Uber Purgatory

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That's the perfect amount of time to get properly faded in preparation for eating stupid amounts of baseball food.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I live on the westside it's a nightmare 100% of the time. I'd much rather have a few delicious beverages and take a nice uphill walk in our beautiful weather. I used to have UCLA football season tickets, a lil walk before/after the game is nice.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Gorman Thomas posted:

this sounds like a job for ebikes

or regular bikes honestly

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 21, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really wish players would stop trying to play through injuries.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/tim_stebbins/status/1682502608315875328

lol, lmao

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Why not just call up one of your AAA guys? Time to figure out if Kilian can be a starter in the league.

So what's the market for Bellinger going to look like? They should absolutely extend him but we know that's not going to happen in this small market town.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Hitting baseballs is hard and Jordan was better at it than 99.9% of people but to get to the majors you gotta be better than like 99.999%

I got up to seeing my first real curveball and then it was p much over for me

I could hit if you just throw me the drat ball instead of that bullshit

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Yeah he was not MLB good, but compared to Tebow who tried to do something similar while much younger Jordan looks great

I want to ask the thread if anyone thinks they could bat above .000 as a double-A baller. Forget the defensive end

Edit: you get 200 ABs

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

mdemone posted:

I got up to seeing my first real curveball and then it was p much over for me

I could hit if you just throw me the drat ball instead of that bullshit

Lol I stopped getting hits the instant I got past coach pitch. Plenty of walks when the kids started pitching though. And none of the catchers could throw so a walk was basically a triple.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

I am going to be at the game and I am going to SCREAM

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1682509716604289024

Why? I guess if you can absolutely guarantee that it's just going to be painful but will in no way exacerbate the injury or worsen the prognosis following surgery - but I don't know if you can ever say it. He's got eight more years, NYY are not competing this year, this would be stupid imo.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I agree that Judge should be shut down for the year so as to not jeopardize the remaining years of his prime. However, given that management will be on the hot seat if they miss the playoffs, I’ve got to imagine he’s going to get pushed to play despite the team’s playoff odds sinking each day

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The roster is so bad that idk if they can really do much damage at the deadline but it's going to be an interesting tell on how secure Cashman thinks his job is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

I agree that Judge should be shut down for the year so as to not jeopardize the remaining years of his prime. However, given that management will be on the hot seat if they miss the playoffs, I’ve got to imagine he’s going to get pushed to play despite the team’s playoff odds sinking each day

I don't think they can get in to the playoffs

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

zoux posted:

With the way the three wild card system is, it would take a good week to get back into the third wild card spot. I wouldn’t be happy if the team decided to go all in and try to win 85 games, but people are going to be trying to save their jobs so who knows what we’ll see before deadline day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

zoux posted:

They 100% can get into the playoffs if Judge comes back and they make a few good trades. they are only 2 games back.