Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

someone who's permabanned has lost protection from the posters bill of rights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

they are an outlaw, they wear the wolf's head

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Cthulu Carl posted:

Part of Charles's logic was

Part of their reasoning isn't just "I didn't care, so you shouldn't" but also "I don't like the people who care, so you shouldn't". You and I both agree post blanking is bad.

Do you see how posters making hay about nothing can make some people desensitized to what might be real issues, because it might be coming from the same sort of crowd?

Yes, some people ITT are bad faith agitators, like anywhere.

e: if the admins/mods are also treating this as serious, it doesn't matter if more people think like me than you. Fluff defacto runs the site?

Charles Bukowski fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 21, 2023

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Charles Bukowski posted:

Do you see how posters making hay about nothing can make some people desensitized to what might be real issues, because it might be coming from the same sort of crowd?

You are starting to agitate me. Stop making accusations against other posters

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Charles Bukowski posted:

if you can't say who you mean and show examples of what you mean that are worth taking action on then why even say anything?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Charles Bukowski posted:

No

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

"Bad faith" has become the most frustrating phrase to me. So many people in this thread, and elsewhere, just throw it out like some magic totem to dismiss any and all concerns people they disagree with have.

Somebody used it like four times in a single post last night and I almost blacked out.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

teemolover42069 posted:

if you can't say who you mean and show examples of what you mean that are worth taking action on then why even say anything?

Why would I make call outs anywhere Fluffdaddy is watching?

Fluffdaddy posted:

You are starting to agitate me. Stop making accusations against other posters

It was not my intention to get under your thick skin, I just felt removing someone from a position over a blanking was a bit extreme. I accept that my view isn't the prevailing one here and bow out.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Charles Bukowski posted:

It was not my intention to get under your thick skin, I just felt removing someone from a position over a blanking was a bit extreme. I accept that my view isn't the prevailing one here and bow out.

Lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

wild how all the accusations of poo poo-stirring and concern trolling just vanish when dudes like this show up, huh.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

which posting crew is this? that's not gbs livery

never been good at heraldry

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Charles Bukowski posted:

I suggest simply saying that you think removing someone from a position over blanking is extreme, and not getting in a parting shot jab at fluffdaddy and insinuating that you totally have A List but just don't want to post it, that all seems like a bad idea to me.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I don't have any lists you weirdos

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Charles Bukowski posted:

lmao you don't get to call people weird right now

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Charles Bukowski posted:

there's no same sort of crowd that doesn't like people's posts being edited, it's mainly people who look at gbs but dont post in it that often
ik/mod editing been an issue occasionally in every major subforum on this site over the years so if it becomes a thing anywhere for very long, it'll draw opinions from all over

people should really stop assuming there's clandestine networks of posters trying to dictate what's done on this website through huge amounts of coordinated lying and manufacturing narratives veiled as random people giving honest opinions on things

it's never happened once. there've been individuals or really tiny groups behaving maliciously/deceptively (koalamarch, spr), but the illusion of some shadowy mob of wreckers with no overt connection to each other who are pretending to be honest is the same faulty-reasoning induced paranoia as the jan 6th antifa false-flag stuff IRL if you find->replace crisis actor with concern troll lol

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Charles Bukowski posted:

Reveal and destroy the enemies. Your cause is virtuous, isn't it?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Charles Bukowski posted:

My anecdote is that I haven't heard anyone complaining about loving around with posts until relatively recently, and from people I tend to lump together as "agitators." If I'm in the minority than I apologize for my sweeping remarks, but it smacks of much ado about nothing to me. Just post and have fun :)

There was a post editing scandal this year where an SA admin was found to have stealthily edited a post to cover up their friend doxxing another user.

Ever since then the staff takes the matter of editing another person's posts very seriously as a forumswide issue, not just GBS, and your ignorance on the matter does not do your position credit.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

which posting crew is this? that's not gbs livery

never been good at heraldry

the magenta tops are SAD Crew; it represents their lust for mod blood.

blue tabards are for PYF, and are normally worn over underclothes from a core, home forum. i think black top is for PHIZ but grey could be anywhere, frankly

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Charles Bukowski posted:

You're the one that put yourself in the limelight over this. Reap what you sow moron.

Agree with the general consensus here to only edit posts if absolutely needed, in order to prevent more koalas marches and some plague rats etc. type goons attempting to do some social engineering fuckery with the SA community by editing their most hated's posts.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Maybe, in case of the rare spamming type thing mentioned earlier, discuss it with an admin first and copy/paste the original post into your friendly neighborhood Notepad.exe so you can put it back or, at least, have a record to show admins what you removed and why

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

noticing the agitator crew has been fairyl active recently. anyone else noticing this>?
Yes. Please don't share this with anyone else as I am afraid of the blowback that certain... allegiances, shall we say... will bring.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
there was just now an example of a post being edited in the leper's colony which surely nobody has a problem with:

Plinkey posted:

gently caress it,

dont click this,

please don't im begging you

:nms: https://i.imgur.com/YlWVmEm.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

see, it's not that post editing is even entirely not allowed. it's just not allowed to be done the way it was in this specific case with commieGIR and there is a right way to do it. So what is the issue here? blanking a post because you don't like it is vastly different from the example posted here and anyone can see that.

this mod won't get removed over it because they saved people from seeing plinkey's disgusting appendages without consent. commiegir is being removed for it because what they did was inappropriate and they knew better. see the difference?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yes one can think that the details of the Franz and cinci affair are not a big deal, and they're a ridiculously petty matter in a vacuum, but this is also a forum where a dedicated clique attempted an actual coup on the leadership of the site through coordinated social engineering efforts, with their slander of an entire subset of posters effective enough that they managed to trick a Vice reporter into writing up an article about them.

No poo poo this gets taken seriously now.

CommieGIR was alright as a poster but blanking that post made it seem worse than it actually was, and when I saw the contents of it I was actually annoyed that anybody thought this was appropriate to remove.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Runa posted:

a dedicated clique attempted an actual coup on the leadership of the site through coordinated social engineering efforts, with their slander of an entire subset of posters effective enough that they managed to trick a Vice reporter into writing up an article about them

Wait really? When was this and who was it?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

koalas march et al convincing people fyad was full of nazis

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

koalas march et al convincing people fyad was full of nazis

lol

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Wait that was KM too? holy cow

I thought the Honey Trap Queen alt was the depths of KM's pathetic posting but wow

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Toxic Mental posted:

koalas march and the core of what would become the short lived bread and roses team

If you recall the few months when Lowtax was convinced to close FYAD, that was a part of the entire affair. Among PYF/SAD regulars it's usually half-jokingly, half-sighingly referred to as the Troubles.

The timeline of events is a bit rough for me because it was several years ago, but the entire thing fell apart when two things happened:

Someone actually looked at the ironically titled "genuine racism megathread" and realized the allegations about FYAD were all a hoax, and unbanned the forum.

Koala's March was outed as sockpuppeting herself using an account called honeytrapqueen and had been acting as her own hypewoman, even gassing herself up with an SAclopedia entry written by her alt, and the entire reveal was so hilarious her entire operation was immediately discredited.

e:f;b lol

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
on behalf of Agitator Crew i would like to formally deny the existence of Agitator Crew

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

Wait that was KM too? holy cow

I thought the Honey Trap Queen alt was the depths of KM's pathetic posting but wow

Yeah the thing that prompted KM to autoban and then get HTQ outed as her alt was fallout from a no bullshit attempt to get Rich to give her extra forums power, which is very funny in retrospect. A fine saga.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is the qcs thread that kicked it all off - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905983

there was also lots of 'fyad are nazis for real' stuff posted like this thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910389

which was because fyad had a thread making jokes about/featuring hitler - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909294

jeff's follow up a few months later - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937061

there was lots of other stuff in the period between those two (and after). the km's coup attempt was talked about in the last linked thread.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 21, 2023

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Let's not relive that period of time please

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Yeah we can take it to Sagas to laugh at.

----8<----

My real feedback is that we should host the (prospective) Gutter Phoenix fundraiser here in GBS, or maybe even a site-wide stickied announcement and it would be cool to have a gang tag for donators.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mekchu posted:

this is the qcs thread that kicked it all off -
What's super funny is that all spun out of the guy that draws the super racist and edgy Charlie Brown webtoon (Weapon Brown) eating a probe-ban. Some poster went to bat for them and Death Ray Kool-Aid Man'd the thread with basically "Actually I am *way* bigger a piece of poo poo than you think!"

It wasn't until the last page or so that someone went "hey there's this really concerning thread that I want to be looked at".

Real dominoes leading to Lowtax losing the site poo poo.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

Yeah we can take it to Sagas to laugh at.

----8<----

My real feedback is that we should host the (prospective) Gutter Phoenix fundraiser here in GBS, or maybe even a site-wide stickied announcement and it would be cool to have a gang tag for donators.

repurpose the dumb lowtax donation tags into cool that guy donation tags

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

rydiafan posted:

"Bad faith" has become the most frustrating phrase to me. So many people in this thread, and elsewhere, just throw it out like some magic totem to dismiss any and all concerns people they disagree with have.

Somebody used it like four times in a single post last night and I almost blacked out.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Yeah, but, and and even you must admit, arguing in bad faith about people on an online internet humour forum is fun as gently caress. Just juicy af.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Literally A Person posted:

Yeah, but, and and even you must admit, arguing in bad faith about people on an online internet humour forum is fun as gently caress. Just juicy af.

seems like psycho poo poo to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Literally A Person posted:

oh yeah you'd know.