Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Soft touch controls, auto-reverse, proper erase head let's go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Corey Quinn’s spite/parody album just dropped

https://open.spotify.com/album/1OYktZmmM1wloUPY865qfQ?si=z3lxd34rQJmkvJZktK9vcg

My fave is probably Blogging Man, but Happy Birthday Larry Ellison is just artwork.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

johnny park posted:

Think we've got another few thousand years before the Butlerian Jihad, people

Well I'm definitely not going to be around for that, what's the point????

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
tape? wouldn't that be sticky?

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

CLAM DOWN posted:

monitoring your disk i/o speeds while you play a local file of bob dylan like a boomer?

I mean, I'm not playing it, I'm converting 238gb of FLACS into AAC to put on a modded iPod. But otherwise.... yeah. Ironically, I don't really even like Bob Dylan at all, but figured I'd check out the rest of his work.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 21, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

jaegerx posted:

Are you literally using spinning disks in tyol2023?

Not those ones, no, I actually wiped those and 8 others a couple days ago. But my desktop does have 3 HDD in it for the cheap storage, backups and working with client data when messing with their drives. I'm actually running off a 128gb SSD. Otherwise, all HDD, plus a MyBook for a total of around 10-12TB.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Observes all the things

There is more there, you know. Like an old FM 7-8 from the early 90s, for example.

As to the drink, local 7-11 carries them and they're cheaper than redbull. I don't have any complaints.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 21, 2023

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bonzo posted:

I had a Sony walkman with auto reverse. I dropped it one day and since then auto reverse would just play one side backwards. We spend way too much time listening to metal records to see if we could hear Satan

I think you'll find it's actually saying "buy more records". At least if you're listening to Judas Priest.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm just so fascinated by several elements of this:

are you eating your computers

absolutely a boomer

what

e: is this the logan paul energy drink lmao

I understand keeping spices at the desk frankly. My office runs out of salt and pepper packets a lot and I usually bring something from home and eat at my desk.

This does look like a work from home set up though so

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Isn't though. The spices are there though because I bought a cast iron skillet and a hot plate for the office, to make breakfast sometimes when I'm there early. Downside is without a proper kitchen sink and disposal, I'm limited mostly to liquid eggs (to avoid potential eggy odors), bacon and sausage.

Also, the spot in question:

Also, yes, that's a thermal typewriter under the desk.

Also, floppies.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 21, 2023

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Cooking bacon on a hot plate in the office? Man.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Cooking bacon on a hot plate in the office? Man.

I mean, at 6 am, 2 hours before everyone else shows up. Smell is gone by then.

Unfortunately.

Haven't used it for about a month though. Been making a conscious effort to give them less of my time for the mere 34k they're paying. Trying to use that time to find some more money out there.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 21, 2023

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

You haven't lived until you've had a 49" monitor with a 16in laptop powering it and also open.

Samsung - CRG9 Series Odyssey 49" LED Curved Dual QHD FreeSync and G-Sync Gaming Monitor - Black

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 21, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

jaegerx posted:

You haven't lived until you've had a 49" monitor with a 16in laptop powering it and also open.

What if it was a 60" TV hooked to a T420 running Endeavor, just to play Star Control II?

Not... that that's anything I would ever do.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

I mean, at 6 am, 2 hours before everyone else shows up. Smell is gone by then.

Unfortunately.

Haven't used it for about a month though. Been making a conscious effort to give them less of my time for the mere 34k they're paying. Trying to use that time to find some more money out there.

drat. I made 33.6k in 2003 for my first it job.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

GreenNight posted:

drat. I made 33.6k in 2003 for my first it job.

Yeah it's not great. And I pull dual duty, simultaneously working for the residential company as the only tech, and for the MSP side as the junior guy in a two man team.

Although to be fair, this is my first IT job, so there's that. But I feel pretty grossly underpaid.

I'm expected to do onsite/remote MSP and breakfix poo poo, while also performing residential bench work, remote calls and house calls.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 21, 2023

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Playing Eve Online in $job’s main conference room with a high-intensity ceiling projector onto a wall screen.

Those spreadsheets sure looked cool on a 6’x8’ screen.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
That's not even $20/hr. Curious why you stay at that point?

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Yeah it's not great. And I pull dual duty, simultaneously working for the residential company as the only tech, and for the MSP side as the junior guy in a two man team.

Although to be fair, this is my first IT job, so there's that. But I feel pretty grossly underpaid.

You are grossly underpaid. Especially if you're the sole tech. If you've got an education or certs you could probably make double what you are now. Heck even desktop support would be a great step.

Blurb3947 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 21, 2023

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

What if it was a 60" TV hooked to a T420 running Endeavor, just to play Star Control II?

Not... that that's anything I would ever do.

My bedroom tv is 8k and I put grafana it

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Blurb3947 posted:

That's not even $20/hr. Curious why you stay at that point?

You are grossly underpaid. Especially if you're the sole tech. If you've got an education or certs you could probably make double what you are now. Heck even desktop support would be a great step.

I'm not staying, trying to get out. I am behind on certs though, I only have an A+ even though I'm doing Sys admin tasks, among other things. I really need to get back on that grind when I can get something with a slower workflow.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
If you’re gonna cook bacon and poo poo in the office you’re never going to progress in this field

If you want to get fired cook some mfing fish

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

You know, you might be on to something there.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

jaegerx posted:

My bedroom tv is 8k and I put grafana it

I would probably do that, to be honest. I love me some nice charts and graphs in pretty colors.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 21, 2023

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
while chatting with a friend they pointed out that the ratio of time to start automating is less than a 20th of the time I've spent doing all the things I've already converted so far

it feels weird to actually be excited to work on something for the first time here

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I promise you the office still smells like bacon 2 hours later.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Maybe a weird question but does anyone have any good pocketbook recommendations for networking, cloud, or Linux stuff? There are some days where we're getting close to two hours with nothing to do except stare at server heads running tests and I'm getting my itch to study again.

Technically we have laptops with Internet access but I'm at will and there's no AUP I could find so I'm not ready to risk it yet.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

I promise you the office still smells like bacon 2 hours later.

Hey, I asked them all repeatedly if they're good, they okayed it in the first place, so at this point I'd say it's on them.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
A space smelling like bacon rules

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

I'm not staying, trying to get out. I am behind on certs though, I only have an A+ even though I'm doing Sys admin tasks, among other things. I really need to get back on that grind when I can get something with a slower workflow.

Don't let that stop you from applying everywhere. A+ is good enough to get out of the MSP mines

Everyone saying you are underpayed are right, however, they are viewing it from the lens of bay area and other high CoL places. Are you in a metro area? If you are rural, mid-$30k is about right for entry level deskside support. There are places that pay more, sure, but if you live in bumfuck Arkansas like me that is absolutely the norm. Either way, it sounds like you have enough experience to GTFO and find a real sysadmin job

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

you can make 34k working at Wendy’s right now high COL or not

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Thanks Ants posted:

Soft touch controls, auto-reverse, proper erase head let's go!

You joke but it would be nice to have them in a new machine

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

i am a moron posted:

you can make 34k working at Wendy’s right now high COL or not

Working at Wendy's sucks hard compared to touching computers, the jobs are not comparable imo

Maybe try to find a remote NOC of SOC position that pays mid 40s while you get certs

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

And it traditionally pays way less than the sort of work Vile is doing so yes, 34k is bullshit 2012 level pay regardless of where you’re at

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

CloFan posted:

Don't let that stop you from applying everywhere. A+ is good enough to get out of the MSP mines

Everyone saying you are underpayed are right, however, they are viewing it from the lens of bay area and other high CoL places. Are you in a metro area? If you are rural, mid-$30k is about right for entry level deskside support. There are places that pay more, sure, but if you live in bumfuck Arkansas like me that is absolutely the norm. Either way, it sounds like you have enough experience to GTFO and find a real sysadmin job

I'm in Bradenton, FL, which is about 30-40 miles south of Tampa Bay and St. Petersburg.

See, I do a bunch of stuff:

Server setup and config:

Sysadmin and end user support:

Residential repair:

And "refurbs."

Plus the aforementioned driving onsite for both commercial and residential.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 21, 2023

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

I'm in Bradenton, FL, which is about 30-40 miles south of Tampa Bay and St. Petersburg.

I’m in Fort Myers like 90 minutes from you and my first tier 1 gig in 2018 was $21/hr with OT that got me to ~$50k and I was being underpaid by like $5/hr compared to most of my peers due to having zero experience and transitioning from another field — you’re being wildly underpaid.

Don’t sell yourself short, buddy. You matter and deserve to be paid a fair wage.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Pretty underpaid yeah. Been interviewing and just got an offer for 53/hr as a sr. network engineer but it's on-site so there's commute time to consider coming from my 100% remote current role. :lofty:

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
34k is less than what a fresh out of high school student working tier 1 helpdesk would make in most of this country. If you are struggling finding somewhere better, I'd highly suggest looking into some resume and interviewing assistance.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

That looks like government work for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Isn't though. The spices are there though because I bought a cast iron skillet and a hot plate for the office, to make breakfast sometimes when I'm there early. Downside is without a proper kitchen sink and disposal, I'm limited mostly to liquid eggs (to avoid potential eggy odors), bacon and sausage.

Also, the spot in question:

Also, yes, that's a thermal typewriter under the desk.

Also, floppies.

Why is it so bright?