Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

guppy posted:

There is a cultural belief that computers are both eldritch technology and also nerd poo poo. Therefore, unless you work in IT, it is permissible not to know or attempt to learn even the rudiments of how to operate one, no matter how core it is to your job responsibilities. I'm not expecting them to know how to fix the computer, that's not their job, but it's like not knowing how to use a toilet because you aren't a plumber. But that's the reality. I don't know whether it's more the "eldritch technology" part or the "nerd poo poo" part that makes it acceptable.

bringing this back cause it slaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

GreenNight posted:

Cooking bacon on a hot plate in the office? Man.

Internet Explorer posted:

I promise you the office still smells like bacon 2 hours later.

Place I worked 5 years ago, we had a guy that put a small toaster oven on this desk. He'd cook up some dino nuggies or tendies. One day it was fish sticks. Our manager told him the toaster oven violated health and safety so he'd have to warm up his food in the break room from now on. It was bullshit but we were sick of the smells.

I do NOT miss offices.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have been dealing with atrocious Kubernetes issues for the past 2 days. I feel like The Iron Rose. Death to Kubernetes.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I have been dealing with atrocious Kubernetes issues for the past 2 days. I feel like The Iron Rose. Death to Kubernetes.

Pack it in everybody. We're going back to bespoke manually deployed code on whitebox servers sitting in a dusty closet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Run everything on a mainframe

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

i had to run a container with spc_t because of openshift. I am forever unclean.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I love it when users send in a ticket for three separate things, gives no details, is probably angling to get a new laptop, and also it's ten minutes before she's off for the day on a Friday.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Pack it in everybody. We're going back to bespoke manually deployed code on whitebox servers sitting in a dusty closet.

genuinely a superior option for a company with <50 engineers. The product comes first and that’s not gonna happen if you need to pay 150k base for someone to babysit kubernetes for you instead of building features.

kube is probably better after that though

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

nevermind i am possibly very stupid

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 22, 2023

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Alright, which one of these computers tucked in the corner will be Prod?

Thanks Ants posted:

Run everything on a mainframe

Well, actually... https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.4.0?topic=extensions-what-is-zos-container

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Whats the selinux equivalent on windows?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Integrity levels?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

jaegerx posted:

Whats the selinux equivalent on windows?

Just flat out not using windows

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

post hole digger posted:

Integrity levels?

This is the only thing remotely close. There is no equivalent to selinux in Windows.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is the only thing remotely close. There is no equivalent to selinux in Windows.

Now I’m curious. How does windows do cross communication from app to app?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/ipc/named-pipe-client

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 22, 2023

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

jaegerx posted:

Now I’m curious. How does windows do cross communication from app to app?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/ipc/named-pipe-client

The clipboard, literally*: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/ipc/interprocess-communications

*among other options

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Depends on what you mean. You’d probably need a .net dev to explain it all. It’s all really insecure poo poo though

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Holy poo poo, the government runs this poo poo?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

All the critical poo poo I worked on in the federal government was on Solaris so I’d say… sometimes? If you mean the US government it is not all windows and .net apps, no

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Sometimes it’s Java apps on windows

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They are heading that direction. Windows Store with UWP was part of it. Go to the Windows threads in these forums or and sort of troubleshooting forum and you'll see people losing their poo poo about it because it's different and scary.

A few of the older stepping stones are mentioned here, along with the new hotness.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsdeveloper/2023/06/14/public-preview-improve-win32-app-security-via-app-isolation/

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

in happier news, I fixed my container poo poo with something that doesn't break all security poo poo, I loving hate selinux so much.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Did we work together today???

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Did we work together today???

That is truly horrifying. Is rbac?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Holy poo poo, the government runs this poo poo?

sounds like coward talk

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Internet down at my job going on 6 hours now. ISP said they’d call and didn’t. Shits hosed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

That is truly horrifying. Is rbac?

You're in the clear.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So apparently our orgs ISP canceled our internet service and have already erased our configs. Sales is gone until Monday but the tech is trying to call people at home to figure out what the gently caress we can do to get it turned back on.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

GreenNight posted:

So apparently our orgs ISP canceled our internet service and have already erased our configs. Sales is gone until Monday but the tech is trying to call people at home to figure out what the gently caress we can do to get it turned back on.

Ah poo poo, we had that happen to one of our clinics because accounting poo poo the bed and didn’t make payment and the local office assumed it was taken care of. poo poo sucks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

tehinternet posted:

Ah poo poo, we had that happen to one of our clinics because accounting poo poo the bed and didn’t make payment and the local office assumed it was taken care of. poo poo sucks.

I talked to the ISP financial dept yesterday and they assured me that our payments were current. Maybe the dude lied to me. That was my first thought because my org plays net30 games and it pisses me off.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
One of the guys I work with is a greybeard who really knows his poo poo around linux OS stuff and I respect what he has to say because I want to learn as much as I can from him while on this job, but today I had to face into the server outtake in a desperate attempt to hide my laughter because he kept calling Kali Linux "Kayla" repeatedly and I couldn't take it.

He and the Venezuelan Engineer guy I work with really seem to have a grudge against each other.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't laugh at pronunciation, it just means they read it and have never talked out loud about it. :colbert:

me, who once called the web server "engeenix" and was made to feel like poo poo about it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

xzzy posted:

Don't laugh at pronunciation, it just means they read it and have never talked out loud about it. :colbert:

me, who once called the web server "engeenix" and was made to feel like poo poo about it.

idempotent

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

xzzy posted:

nginx?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

engine x?

No seriously is it supposed to be pronounced "engine x" or is it "nGINx" because I mostly go with the latter but it seems like whoever came up with the name might have been intending it be the former.

Also it doesn't matter anymore but SCSI is not secsi it's scuzzy I will die on this hill complaining about ancient interface protocols that only exist now buried in current interface protocols or VM configurations.

edit: the GIN in the webserver name is obviously pronounced like GIF

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SyNack Sassimov posted:

edit: the GIN in the webserver name is obviously pronounced like GIF

thats bait

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

thats bait

well you're no fool

.....wait :raise:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I do that all the time. Early in my career I mispronounced netbios as "netboys" and got a lot of poo poo for it. These days I still don't think I am pronouncing postgres correctly but I no longer care :colbert:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

When I first got started I said I knew a little bit about SQL but didn't know what "sequel" was in an interview. Still got the job.

GreenNight posted:

I talked to the ISP financial dept yesterday and they assured me that our payments were current. Maybe the dude lied to me. That was my first thought because my org plays net30 games and it pisses me off.

Sounds like your accounting department should be the one dealing with this on a weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

When I first got started I said I knew a little bit about SQL but didn't know what "sequel" was in an interview. Still got the job.

Sounds like your accounting department should be the one dealing with this on a weekend.

You'd think? The tech guy at the ISP said that only sales can turn our account back on because they basically have to create a new order and a new account. And there is no on call or weekend work for sales. So we're down until sales comes in on Monday and then who the gently caress knows how long.