Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I better make a new shelter full of holes, gotta let the radioactive rain in.

And also live amongst 200 year old skeletons in a diner. No I won't be moving the skeletons, I'm so busy serving all my customers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

nauru is going to be made pretty much uninhabitable in the next century by sea level rises.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

nauru is going to be made pretty much uninhabitable in the next century by sea level rises.

yeah, that's why they're building underground idiot :rolleye:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
turns out it's way easier to build rapture on land and just wait for the sea to rise

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bob dobbs is dead posted:

bad news about the purpose of armies, jonny

What's the news?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fermun posted:

Home > Military Surplus >
Freeze Dried Uncooked Chicken Tenders

Freeze Dried Chicken Tenders in #10 Can

6 #10 cans (13 oz per can) fit neatly in 1 case, making storing easy! There are 18 to 22 Freeze Dried Uncooked Chicken Tenders per can (108 to 132 tenders per case!!!). All are hand-trimmed. All cans were sealed in an oxygen/moisture free environment.

Flash Facts:
#10 Size Cans (aka Gallon Size Can)
18 to 22 Chicken Tenders per Can
Net Weight 13 oz
U.S. Government/Military Surplus
25+ year shelf life
No Refrigeration Required
June 2023 Production.
These Chicken Tenders are current production overruns, Manufactured in 2023 by a large military defense contractor. We just purchased a large lot of these direct from a Defense Reutilization Office (DRO) Source. Although actual use is always classified on these kinds of bids, our information is that these are purchased for Executive Branch use, not for our troops in the field. That usually means these go to underground bunkers for continuity of government use by strategic military leaders, congressional members and sometimes even the White House staff or leadership. We opened several cans to try these out before we committed to such a large quantity, and these are actually amazing: tender, boneless, gourmet trimmed, very tasty and as fresh as the day they were flash frozen and dehydrated!

Each can contains 18 to 22 Chicken Tenders, and to use them just soak in cold water for 20 minutes (until the meat feel tender throughout) and cook. They come out of the can looking just like the chicken tenders that you would get at your grocer's deli - and there was no shrinkage when we cooked them. We've found that although great with only a 20 minute soak in cold water, if you let them sit longer they get even more tender. You can expect to get 25+ years out of them in the can - and probably as many as 30 to 40 since there is no water or oxygen in the can to spoil them!!!

Once opened they will last:
up to 1 year in a Zip Lock bag with refrigeration once opened but not re-hydrated
up to 60 days in a zip lock bag without refrigeration once opened, but not re-hydrated
up to 5 days in the fridge once they are re-hydrated

These are perfect for storing and using for many years! You can have great tasting food in minutes with no mess and no waste - and it doesn't matter if the power goes out!!! You can open just one can at a time and in 20 minutes cook one or as many of these as you want however you would cook any other fresh chicken tenders!! Perfect for camping, boating, traveling, or at the cabin.

Manufactured, Procured, and Canned in the USA

good to know the government is actively restocking the nuclear bunker chicken tendy supplies before world war 3 starts

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
last i checked they're out of stock, but the same company sells cans of freeze-dried filet mignon

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i don't recall if steve has eaten those

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Midjack posted:

okay mr hands

that's RADM Hands to you!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Beeftweeter posted:

the blockchain is eternal. you fool. you dope!

Honestly that would be a good quest: some old ghoul or something sends you on a quest to fetch a copy of the block chain from some dusty old vault. You don’t know what it is when you get it, but when you bring it back he explains it contains a copy of the block chain and that he’ll pay you back once it gets replicated and adopted again by the wasteland, since he has 10k of coins on it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

such an incredible ideas guy vibe here. we will simply just build an apocalypse proof bunker with all the genetic machinery we need in it which we will get from ??? and then use it to *waves hands* and then we will have the future superhumans!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

They just want their sex cult just like every other doomsday group, no matter how they dress it up in the new-age philosophy du jour

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

such an incredible ideas guy vibe here. we will simply just build an apocalypse proof bunker with all the genetic machinery we need in it which we will get from ??? and then use it to *waves hands* and then we will have the future superhumans!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
seventhieves

mystes
May 31, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I just like how effectively it illustrates that "effective altruism" is just a thing rich people use to convince themselves that they're the ones who deserve to survive the apocalypse because they're the geniuses who invented the idea that maybe you should donate money to stuff where it will make a difference and nobody else can do that

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
effective altruism is entirely "what if instead of spending money to help people, we just took it and spent it on things we think are cool?"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Not a Children posted:

They just want their sex cult just like every other doomsday group, no matter how they dress it up in the new-age philosophy du jour

the problem is that usually you can’t just get people to invest in your sex cult

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

doesn't seem very altruistic nor effective to me, but what do i know

mystes
May 31, 2006

I also like that they're all obsessed with "longtermism" but not worried about climate change in the least

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

haveblue posted:

seventhieves

lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

you start with ‘mosquito nets for malaria’ and then like two steps later its boiling the oceans to mulch orphans for profit because you will leave your estate to a foundation whose goals are to set up an ai that will run humanity’s interstellar empire and weighed against untold trillions of lives in the future any present action is irrelevant

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
um, ah, excuse me, they're things i have objectively proven are optimally cool by using bayesian reasoning from first principles

there's a lot of very sophisticated math going on

numbers

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
https://forum.effectivealtruism.org/

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
It's more stupid than you could possibly imagine

mystes
May 31, 2006

quote:

Why haven't we been destroyed by a power-seeking AGI from elsewhere in the universe?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

there isn't a day i wake up to that I don't think about this

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

maybe we have

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

tired: Judeo-Christian god was an alien
wired: Judeo-Christian god was an alien ai

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's really weird because even if that's something you want to worry about what's the point of saying "AGI" rather than "aliens" there? How does it make any difference whether the hypothetical intelligent alien entity that's trying to destroy you was artificially created by another hypothetical intelligent alien entity rather than just evolving on its own?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Buck Turgidson posted:

It's more stupid than you could possibly imagine

I can imagine scientology, so that's a pretty high bar.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess it makes more sense if you think of effective altruism as a subculture/fandom where AGIs are part of the lore rather than an actual philosophy or whatever though

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

leper khan posted:

I can imagine scientology, so that's a pretty high bar.

while it is weird that there are two entirely different cults based on bad science fiction, the ea folks are in fact stupider.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mystes posted:

It's really weird because even if that's something you want to worry about what's the point of saying "AGI" rather than "aliens" there? How does it make any difference whether the hypothetical intelligent alien entity that's trying to destroy you was artificially created by another hypothetical intelligent alien entity rather than just evolving on its own?

why not both. it’s clear contact gave up on trying to prevent us from damaging ourselves and is just curious to see what will happen

mystes
May 31, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

why not both. it’s clear contact gave up on trying to prevent us from damaging ourselves and is just curious to see what will happen
what's contact?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a bunch of broken people/minds that can’t handle peacefully enjoying FALGSC on an orbital

mystes
May 31, 2006

oh was it a Culture reference?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Yeah.

And by the way there is a Banks-authored short story where the Culture contacts Earth, and that's almost what happens. They decide to use us as a control in an experiment to see whether Culture interference is generally a good thing or a bad thing for the civilization in question.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

wasn’t that the outcome of the state of the art?

imho worst culture story (and book) by far, it is
stupid earth exceptionalism; like there’s multiple species known to culture that genetically engineers a subgroup of their species for torture and mutilation for entertainment and they are shocked and appalled by 80s London so bad they give up on the whole thing.

Culture books work as an exaggerated reflection of society and state of the art breaks all that

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

and I’m too angry about how bad it is to spoil it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

they're titans of industry that can't create aliens. but they can attempt to create "AGI" and then go "oh jeez creating AGI was inevitable, see? the theories are right, my worldview is confirmed"