Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

MillennialVulcan posted:

Looks rad wish I'd picked it up at the time!

I want more clear colors but now I’m learning they are exp/con exclusives? :( Suppose I’ll have to wait till the next con rolls around :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
A lot of clear/special-coatings find their way to third-party retailers or importers, you just gotta have a big list of sellers, watch them religiously and be willing to pay the markup.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Der-Wreck posted:

I want more clear colors but now I’m learning they are exp/con exclusives? :( Suppose I’ll have to wait till the next con rolls around :grin:

If you're in the US, there's usually at least one event a year where they put some of the exclusives on p-bandai. Last year it was in late November.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Buck Wildman posted:

I don't know what "excavation" means in this context - that point you're indicating was a flaw in the molding that was already there on the runner

My bad! "Excavation" is how GodHands ads describe carving too much plastic from the part. I keep running into that with really thick nubs, either cutting too little (and taking 30 mins to shave/sand down...) or gouging out too much. Single bladed nippers supposedly mitigate excavation.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Marx Headroom posted:

My bad! "Excavation" is how GodHands ads describe carving too much plastic from the part. I keep running into that with really thick nubs, either cutting too little (and taking 30 mins to shave/sand down...) or gouging out too much. Single bladed nippers supposedly mitigate excavation.

interesting, thanks for the explanation. further incentive to upgrade my nippers someone soon

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Marx Headroom posted:

Single bladed nippers supposedly mitigate excavation.
In my experience they do. I'm not able to articulate the process behind it but I've rarely seen gouging anymore after I changed to single blade. And when I see it it's due to me being lazy and making a cut against the part without the blade being flat enough. I guess double blades gouge more often since they also crush a lot more than they actually cut. Plastic may get pulled upwards to the closing nippers? Just taking a guess though.

Marx Headroom posted:

Fill seams in a few places like this, especially light colored parts

I am aware that particular white piece is borderline impossible to fill and sand once assembled but shoot for the moon I guess
That's a tough looking spot for sure! A little trick could be that you can just take a scissor and cut little pieces in the right size from your sanding sponges. Then you sand horizontal with a small range of motion to stay on the white part and close to the seam. It's still going to be tough and you may need tweezers or some other contraption to hold the piece of sponge well enough. For me the real hassle seems to be getting the putty cleanly into the seam without splashing around it. I guess you can use a scriber/chisel to clean the edges later but I can just picture myself getting mad at the putty :v:

Buck Wildman posted:

there were also some unfortunate issues with residue getting caught underneath and I need to do a better job of catching/cleaning that stuff beforehand.
This is something you could put a closer eye on in the future. It's possible that specks of dust were present or got trapped while the top coat dried but matte top coat is also surprisingly sensitive when it comes to increased humidity and higher air temperature. That can really screw with your work and it's possible that the white specks aren't dust but the matte material that couldn't dissipate properly since the moisture around it dried too fast. If you did it on a warm day then there's a good chance it's the cause I think.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 19, 2023

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Tin Tim posted:

This is something you could put a closer eye on in the future. It's possible that specks of dust were present or got trapped while the top coat dried but matte top coat is also surprisingly sensitive when it comes to increased humidity and higher air temperature. That can really screw with your work and it's possible that the white specks aren't dust but the matte material that couldn't dissipate properly since the moisture around it dried too fast. If you did it on a warm day then there's a good chance it's the cause I think.

crap, I bet that's exactly what happened - I let it sit on the porch for a bit while it dried. thanks for the head's up

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The legs of the Turn A are such a very weird and Syd Mead design. Sleek in the front, oppressive industrial in the back and a mix on the sides.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Re excavation: the thinner the nipper blade, the less likely it is to twist the part while cutting (white marks are a result of the gate being stressed, which causes thousands of micro-tears in the plastic). That’s one reason single-blade nippers are so good at what they do, but the nippers used for the initial cut need to be good quality and reasonably thin as well.

mllaneza posted:

Also, for nipping, best practice is to do two cuts. One on the runner with cheap nippers to get the part out.

Well, no, your first-cut nippers still need to be good quality and not some wirecutter-grade crap — parts are *more* likely to suffer torsional stress at the gate when cutting the thick part of the sprue, and the blades typical of cheap nippers are thick enough to cause considerable displacement, which can lead to gates tearing partially or completely away from the part.

When I moved to GodHands, I also upgraded my lovely cheap Xuron nippers with something more suited to the task. The blades are thinner than is typical but still sturdy, and they’ve drastically reduced the amount of damage my parts suffer from being cut:

https://xuron.com/index.php/main/consumer_products/3/14

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 20, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Also, for nipping, best practice is to do two cuts. One on the runner with cheap nippers to get the part out. Then a second cut with you best pair to actually cut the part completely free. With it out of the runner, it's much easier to get a clean, perfectly flat cut with no stress marks. It doubles the number of cuts you'll do, but saves time with sanding and dealing with nubs.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Buck Wildman posted:

crap, I bet that's exactly what happened - I let it sit on the porch for a bit while it dried. thanks for the head's up

just for future reference, the optimal conditions for matte/flat coat is 20c/68f and 50% humidity
if you're at exactly 20c/68f then you have some leeway with the humidity, and likewise for the opposite
if it looks chalky then that means either it wasn't warm enough for the bubbles formed by the additives in the paint to pop, or it was too dry and it dried before the bubbles popped

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Is the Psych Zaku based on the 2.0? If so, that's weird that the legs were being so uncooperative.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
They share some frame parts, but not many.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/yoshinokentarou/status/1682356764736630784

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I got the EVA-01 and 02 Mechagodzilla kits a few months/maybe a year ago whenever they were available, and just finished the 02 version today. The kit itself looks good but some of the instructions and a few parts aren't very well engineered. Still, a pretty cool kit and I'm happy with how it turned out after decals and a wash.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I finally finished the Bandai RG EVA-01 and am having trouble posing it so I wanted to get some of those arm things that help keep it standing. There are a bunch on amazon and I dunno what to get, is there a recommended brand/type?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
HLJ seems to have turned on the automatic shipping timer, does anyone know what the "breakpoints" are for shipping cost increases? Should I add a fourth HG to my current order?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I removed all my hg zgok parts off the sprue to clean up and now I've a dozen nearly identical arm/leg segment parts with no way of telling them apart

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You have unlocked hard mode

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
I have this urge to try building a kit by taking all the parts off the sprues and then seeing if I can put it together without looking at the manual. Anyone ever tried something like this?

I think I have an HG somewhere, might have a crack at it over backlogust.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the last time i tried that i had to pry open parts to fit soft caps inside them again. not fun. :v

I really do want to make a Miorene's room diorama. Now I know how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwr88Oa1Baw

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 22, 2023

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Synthbuttrange posted:

I removed all my hg zgok parts off the sprue to clean up and now I've a dozen nearly identical arm/leg segment parts with no way of telling them apart
Oof, that's gonna take a bit of time to sort out but it's less harsh than you might think. The middle segment on the legs is a bit wider and taller than the middle of the arms. The top part for the arms has a connector hole and two small grooves on the side while the top part of the legs only has a connector hole at the top. The bottom parts for arms/legs are visually different and you can just tell with the manual. The connector "bones" for the inside of the parts aren't much harder. The parts for the legs are a bit longer than the arm parts and the top and middle bone for each arm/leg are the same iirc. The bones for the bottom part look to be the exact same between arms/legs too and don't have a ball at their end. You also don't need to think about left/right, since you can just rotate the segments to the correct facing. Good luck, little goon :v:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 22, 2023

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
There was a period of time in the early ‘90s when I could build a kit without ever looking at the manual, but parts design was much more basic then. Don’t think I’d care to try it with the current batch.

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

I clipped out all the parts for the mercurius and vayeate and built those with minimal instruction use, but that was after I built 5 Leo's.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You could maybe pull it off with the 30MM kits. They're pretty simple, and most of the limbs are just "clip both halves together, insert into thigh/shoulder piece".

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I could build a Graze or Leo without instructions but that's it.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thezjeorno/status/1682590770623299587

hmmm

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Synthbuttrange posted:

At this point in the HG-IBO that is exactly what I do. I'll check the introductions If I don't feel confident or a quick look at the gate page to see if a part isn't needed. But otherwise you build one calamity war Gundam you've built them all.

And a quick shout-out to the gate remover set by gunprimer. All this time I thought I was just not putting in the hours or simply lacked the ability to clean a piece without some minor excavation. Yet drat these things are magical. Like when I first stepped up from nail clippers to godhand. Or an old rustic box cutter to xacto blades that I change out every 2 kits. When you can afford it I highly recommend investing in your tools.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

a bargain at 45 dollars

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
dressing up dolls is a more expensive hobby than building gunpla
stay safe

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks to whoever mentioned Target carrying gunpla, I now have my next kit. They had a total of three, and I might go back for the RG Wing. Instead I went home with half their stock of HG Aerials. Seemed reasonably priced at $16.

A Zaku II will have to wait. I liked the look of both the recommended ones, but I think the edge goes to the Origin one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Heavy Zowort is a lovely little kit, it's basically an HG Armored Core and I adore it :allears:. It's one that realy itches for some customization too, as it's got some nice 3mm hardpoints for accessories, and it's built as so you could probably easily swap the lower arms and head for 30MM replacement parts if you want a bit more customization and accessory tabs. Accessories are also pretty basic; Long-range beam rifle, two beam sabers, and a removable magazine for the thigh-packs that can have the one from the rifle sticking out of it if you want a "mid-reload" pose. The rifle's kinda built weird, as the barrel just kinda sits on a groove with the main body, leaving it a little loose rather than locked on a peg like you'd normally see. It sits mostly fine, but might want to break out a dab of modelling glue for it.

I just built mine straight though.

Welll... aside from the paint :v:.

Added some detailing here-and-there too on the body and rifle just to break up the colouring a little.

Red Rockits go FASTAH :orks101:.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
What would people consider to be the main technological progression for the RX-78-2? Thinking about building them all in order for fun, probably just either HG or RG if the RG is better.

Gramps > MK 2 > Zeta > ZZ > Nu > Unicorn

Anything else? I know there's shitloads of test suits and prototypes around the Nu/Unicorn era but are those the big ones that appear on-screen?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Pierson posted:

What would people consider to be the main technological progression for the RX-78-2? Thinking about building them all in order for fun, probably just either HG or RG if the RG is better.

Anything else? I know there's shitloads of test suits and prototypes around the Nu/Unicorn era but are those the big ones that appear on-screen?
Yeah, without getting too nerdy, that's pretty much the main progression. Unfortunately there's no RG ZZ and the HG is kinda not great either. Though you could just do what everyone does with the anime and skip ZZ. :v:

(Beyond Unicorn there's also the F91 and Victory)

(Also depending on your interpretation of the timeliness you can follow up with G-Reco and Turn A :getin:)

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 24, 2023

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Isn't the ZZ sort of a dead-end in universe technologically too?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Yeah, it uses a lot of power for big guns and is a bulky monster. After ZZ/Unicorn all the mechs start getting significantly smaller.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Except for Hathaway where even grunt suits get bigger for a moment and the gundams themselves get massive.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

If you're after technological links, the Narrative is a (tweaked) prototype Nu, and it has a movie named after it to boot, so you could build that before the Nu (or start building it, then come back to finish after the Unicorn).

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Pierson posted:

Gundam Narrative definitely. Xi or Penelope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Does anyone here have any experience with the 3rd party metal frames? I've got the RG Hi Nu to put together but was interested in maybe getting the metal frame for it.