Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Explain Alexander the Great then

honestly if he had stopped then his empire might not have fractured so terribly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Albanian

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

serbian

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's funny how big a reach syracuse has, also oregon leaping over boise into montana

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Ngl the state schools that cross borders is messed up. You live in New Mexico and you’re a Texas fan? Have some self respect

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Ngl the state schools that cross borders is messed up. You live in New Mexico and you’re a Texas fan? Have some self respect

the most egregious are the badgers fans in minnesota

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

i say swears online posted:

it's funny how big a reach syracuse has, also oregon leaping over boise into montana

Also crossing Washington and Canada to get Alaska in (almost) its entirety.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Arkansas has the most distinct identity.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Platystemon posted:

Arkansas has the most distinct identity.

UConn Huskies motherfucker

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

This thing's almost nine years old and I still laugh at the color they used for Ohio State.

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask

Is this one of those culture maps?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hip Flask posted:

Is this one of those culture maps?

yeah these are american ethnicities

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

you mean alexander the great, the famous submarine enthusiast? what is there to explain? just as amphibious as the rest of them

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Mister Olympus posted:

you mean alexander the great, the famous submarine enthusiast? what is there to explain? just as amphibious as the rest of them

Nice try, but this is clearly illustration of the OceanGate incident from a children's newspaper

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

goofus and gallant looking good

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Greeks and Greece weren't invited until 1821. Which was at least a Century or two after Alexander died. Possibly more depending on how much Phantom Time was involved.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 22, 2023

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Mods, please rename Greece to South Macedonia. Thx.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't understand why people pay so much attention to the hinterlands regions of Outer Serbia and Great Old Bulgaria.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

MeinPanzer posted:

Mods, please rename Greece to South Macedonia. Thx.

The Former Ottoman Vilayet of South Macedonia, FOVSM, please.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Blut posted:

The Former Ottoman Vilayet of South Macedonia, FOVSM, please.

After decades of controversy and rancorous diplomacy, we have found a compromise. North Macedonia will now be called Real Macedonia and Greece will be called Rumelia. We believe this solution leaves everyone satisfied.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hella satisfied, yeah.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

saintonan posted:

This thing's almost nine years old and I still laugh at the color they used for Ohio State.

I'm pretty sure it's called THE Ohio State University

all differences aside, every lover of freedom can come together and lmao at Ohio

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

After decades of controversy and rancorous diplomacy, we have found a compromise. North Macedonia will now be called Real Macedonia and Greece will be called Rumelia. We believe this solution leaves everyone satisfied.

Just slap THE EMPIRE over the Aegean like they used to do over Germany.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I love those Barbie maps but I'm taking issue with the categorization of the russian anthem

Russia our holy state
Russia our beloved fatherland
Mighty will and great glory
We are yours for all time

Glory to our Fatherland
Home of the free
Brotherly peoples in ancient union
Glory, country, we are proud of you

etc etc

yeah this song is not about the beautiful taiga motherland. A few lines in the second verse are about Russia being pretty. Otherwise it's about how God told Russia to kick rear end. And always uses otyechestvo not rodina for gendering the parentland.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 23, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also wouldn't categorise god save the king as "praise the lord" given that it's 100% about how good the monarch and how much we all love the boot, is and god is invoked as essentially second to monarch.

You would have a better argument that Jerusalem falls under that category but even that's basically "england is the best place on earth and god thinks so too"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 23, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, they picked the wrong one for Denmark, there's the boring pretty country one and the naval battle one that literally has smashing a goth's helmet and brains. I don't know why they latter is not the commonly used one. At least we get the girl choir singing it beautifully every new year's eve.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I also wouldn't categorise god save the king as "praise the lord" given that it's 100% about how good the monarch and how much we all love the boot, is and god is invoked as essentially second to monarch.

I think the category names were applied afterwards by the mapmaker, and rather sloppily. Looking at the list of terms that represent that category, it seems to be a grouping for songs that praise God and/or a Monarch. For some reason, the AI made that one cluster.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Ditocoaf posted:

I think the category names were applied afterwards by the mapmaker, and rather sloppily. Looking at the list of terms that represent that category, it seems to be a grouping for songs that praise God and/or a Monarch. For some reason, the AI made that one cluster.

I'm pretty sure they were just taking advantage of the dual meaning of the word "lord."

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Speaking of politically loaded, I'm amused by the fact that the Berbenheimer map envisions a post-UK world. Not only are Scotland and Wales split out, Northern Ireland doesn't exist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean yeah;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbSGp4WIBsQ&t=34s

Wasn't expecting that to be the catalyst but there you go.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

EasilyConfused posted:

I'm pretty sure they were just taking advantage of the dual meaning of the word "lord."
Yeah, the category is basically just "This person/entity non-specifically deserves praise", not specifically God.

BonHair posted:

Yeah, they picked the wrong one for Denmark, there's the boring pretty country one and the naval battle one that literally has smashing a goth's helmet and brains. I don't know why they latter is not the commonly used one. At least we get the girl choir singing it beautifully every new year's eve.
It's because the woke mob won't let us sing songs about smashing in the skulls of Swedes. Won't even let us call them Goths anymore.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The American anthem is also about a battle.

wode
Dec 8, 2015

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

"Anabasis," as in the The Anabasis of Alexander and Xenophon's Anabasis, means "journey up from [the sea]."
Even when going inland they are oriented towards the sweet thalassa.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SlothfulCobra posted:

The American anthem is also about a battle.

And a flag

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

Speaking of politically loaded, I'm amused by the fact that the Berbenheimer map envisions a post-UK world. Not only are Scotland and Wales split out, Northern Ireland doesn't exist.

Some dare to dream of a better world.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Minenfeld! posted:

Truth. I was going to say "and what´s wrong with that".

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Minenfeld! posted:

Saoirse Ronan has been allowed to corrupt greta's mind against the british for too long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, the category is basically just "This person/entity non-specifically deserves praise", not specifically God.

It's because the woke mob won't let us sing songs about smashing in the skulls of Swedes. Won't even let us call them Goths anymore.

Imagining a filled stadium singing the skull breaking line at full volume (that you get at the part people know) before a match against Sweden almost makes me want to watch footy. It would be way better.