Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Thesaurus posted:

I spent a long time feeling really pissed off for the same reasons, and eventually I had to unplug and try to be more zen about it all. The anger still flares up from time to time when I'm reminded of antivax poo poo

I became super combatative too, and it was simmering for a while and tipped over when Black Lives Matter became a mainstream talking point during Covid.

The thing is, I never tolerated bigots or the like on social media. If I have you on there, it's because I like you, generally. So I never saw a lot of racism or steaming bad takes. However, I saw a lot of people who would probably describe themselves as "good" suddenly learn what racism and systemic causes were and found myself exhausted and irritable by it. In short, I became the insuferable "read theory" guy, because I had months and months of only doing that, learning guitar and playing Doom: Eternal.

Now, my good friends would either tell me to shut the gently caress up or were just as bad or worse, but there was a lot of mutual blocking or unfriending, especially from roller derby contacts. I'm ambivalent about that, because the paternalistic dungaree-wearing-primary-school-teacher/pastel infographics energy these people generally had would drive me loving nuts, but my Doomer vibe was loving awful.

I quit Facebook during the pandemic which was way later than I should have and I felt my mental health improve ten-fold within days. I started posting here again, so it can't have gotten that much better though!

In short, I went down my own unhealthy rabbit-hole. And while a lot of it is valuable and was educational, being "that guy" wasn't fun for anyone and spending any kind of extended period immersed in culture war poo poo of any kind, even with good intentions is not healthy. You can't wade in poo poo without getting covered in poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

LuckyCat posted:

COVID broke my brain due to Long Covid and now I have trouble with work, my social life, and my home life it's great. Thank you COVID. :pray:

Another reason I am so cautious with this thing, my brain is already borked, I don't need some loving jumped up coronavirus making it even worse

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
feel bad sayin it but i had a pretty good time. my classes that semester were brutal, and then overnight they became bumper laned bowling alleys. i was locked up inside the studio apartment that id just moved into, so i didnt have to worry about any family getting sick from my end. also lost like 50lbs

when i actually got covid, it was a blast. i mean i felt physically exhausted every waking moment and was coughing like a chainsmoking dj, but i had a cozy schedule of waking up in the noon, makin lunch, playin chibi robo, makin dinner, get on call with friends for moral support and drawpiles, then passing out to start it all over again for another two weeks. oh and all the cough syrup chugging. ordering insane amounts of cheap delta 8 before it got much bigger and pricier. and i tried the local thai place--miss the hell out of it now.

oh and on that last note, thank christ covid didnt kill the dead loving cheap chinese buffet that was next to my house. $4.25 per lb for takeout... i ate a lot of takeout.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
oh ya and i guess i bought an account here the same year. you can thank covid for that! :cool:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

cumpantry posted:

also lost like 50lbs.

$4.25 per lb for takeout... i ate a lot of takeout.

Something isn't adding up!

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Saalkin posted:

Something isn't adding up!

:psyduck:

in retrospect this isnt adding up either. but i was limiting my sugar to 35g daily... that goes far i think

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

naem posted:

rather than settle into a comfortable rut in my first job in a new field I was forced to job search, and the difficulty of finding people to hire and logistics of relocating and my willingness to take calculated risks accelerated my career growth

I also spent $573.24 at Aldi on canned food etc as if I’m going to spend three months locked in my house again

What's funny is that I was reading the thread here on how bad Covid was going to be, and like a week before everything got locked down I went to Walmart and stocked up on some foods and supplies that might be handy in case everything went to poo poo.

There was this old lady in a mobility scooter that was making fun of me for stocking up.

...I wonder where she is now.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Rad-daddio posted:

...I wonder where she is now.

I remember a news report from April 2020 showing loads of panicked people in a grocery store stocking up, thinking they'd be locked in their homes for months. One large old graybeard had affixed pool floaty tubes to his head, pointing outwards in all directions, yelling, "I'm immunocompromised! Please stay six feet from me!" Not a mask in sight because they generally weren't widely commercially available, the government had forgotten to replenish the emergency stockpile years before, and the official line at that moment was "You don't even need a mask, in fact they'd be bad for you because they'd cause you to touch your face, which is how we're saying you catch Covid right now." Trump complained that he missed touching his face. An NFL team owner clandestinely flew in a supply of masks while dodging government agents who were trying to corner the market at the behest of the president's son-in-law.

It was all so insane. And the average person has completely forgotten it. All that chaos and the result was a pile of dead people and an increase in police funding. Back To Normal.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I was one of the early adapters of lockdown, I was in Tokyo when it hit there, then was quarantined before the official shutdown when I returned home.

My husband and I pretty much had a 3 week vacation where we spent a week in Japan, then 2 weeks at home with our cats, getting high and ordering delivery fast food or pizza at 3 am. It was a blast.

And then he was deemed an essential worker. The majority of his customer base and coworkers jumped on the anti-mask bandwagon. He managed to avoid catching it even when all of his coworkers did because he did his due diligence.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I swear that driving has just gotten all around 10 times shittier everywhere since Covid. I know driving has always sucked and people have always driven like assholes, but now more than ever it feels like everyone just drives however they want with less sense of "working with" the cars around you than ever. Traffic seems like has also doubled or tripled everywhere compared to pre-covid. I have thought about the possibility that maybe 2020 being the best year ever for driving spoiled me, but I don't think it was that since in comparison with how long I've been driving, that was nothing.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I feel you. Lots more just not bothering you use thier turn signals, zig-zaging between cars.

Like wtf man you're gonna cause an accident

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I think one of the moderately significant but severely under reported aspect of the entire Covid wave was the transfer of wealth between generations. I know people who willingly infected their benefactors to get their inheritance. You might, too. Untold billions switched custody from responsible holders (if they weren't, there wouldn't be any money to speak of) to the most diverse cadre of spenders and savers imaginable. It is my opinion that this is one of the most hidden factors that prevented recession in the US.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i live directly above a freeway in LA and it was really surreal the couple of months when it was close to empty. never got there all the way. but sometimes i'd go out and just drive around at night on the empty roads, it was trippy.

and yea people are way worse now with the rage poo poo and the zigzagging. it was always bad in LA but people for sure got way more aggressive once the traffic fully came back

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Earwicker posted:

i live directly above a freeway in LA and it was really surreal the couple of months when it was close to empty. never got there all the way. but sometimes i'd go out and just drive around at night on the empty roads, it was trippy.

and yea people are way worse now with the rage poo poo and the zigzagging. it was always bad in LA but people for sure got way more aggressive once the traffic fully came back

I hadn't driven a state-line crossing distance on I-40 since well before COVID, and I did it at the beginning of last month.

Going west back home was the most times I've ever been cut off by actively hauling rigs not signaling a lane change with feet of clearance in my life, and I drove from Albuquerque to Tampa on I-40 and I-10 in a manual Wrangler one time.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
I bought a house a month before COVID and have turned into a catless male cat lady and feel totally stuck about it.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Bobcats posted:

I bought a house a month before COVID and have turned into a catless male cat lady and feel totally stuck about it.

Username/post combo

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The covid driving thing seems real. A mix of 1. Stupid idiots didn’t quarantine so the quality of drivers was worse even if there were fewer. Which then lead to 2. Everyone else either thinking that was okay and just giving up on being humans when on the road or also going crazy dealing with poo poo drivers and 3. People are just more selfish and barbaric from feeling isolated from society for years. Last man on earth-type driving. Also I just think in general American society and interpersonal standards are degrading more and more overall so it figures people would be selfish drivers

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Not to mention the drivers who were hired with no training and the gently caress you got mine mindset.

Do you have a license? Can you drive? OK get behind this wheel and car 4 tons, we have a supply shortage!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Everyone (not everyone, but the fast drivers) is driving 80+ in a 70.

I dig it, but it's fast.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Around here if there is anything that has gotten worse is people driving too slow, like significantly under the speed limit for no apparent reason. I see aggressive and fast driving sometimes, but slow, inattentive, and bizarre seem more common in town. I'm not sure if it has really gotten worse over the pandemic, but on the freeway the most common bad driving I see is what appears to be a complete disregard for proper following distance. People are leaving roughly the same space at 75 mph that they do at 30 mph, and it is just mind-boggling. Like I said, I'm not sure that particular thing has actually gotten worse over the pandemic because I was already pissed off about it before 2020.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Around here if there is anything that has gotten worse is people driving too slow, like significantly under the speed limit for no apparent reason. I see aggressive and fast driving sometimes, but slow, inattentive, and bizarre seem more common in town. I'm not sure if it has really gotten worse over the pandemic, but on the freeway the most common bad driving I see is what appears to be a complete disregard for proper following distance. People are leaving roughly the same space at 75 mph that they do at 30 mph, and it is just mind-boggling. Like I said, I'm not sure that particular thing has actually gotten worse over the pandemic because I was already pissed off about it before 2020.

I see this all around ABQ too. I live right next to an onramp that you basically have to use to go east unless you want to encounter crazy traffic and drive a grid instead of two straight lines, and people just... go 30. On an onramp. The onramp is onto I-40. Can't do anything about it other than pray today isn't the day.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 22, 2023

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I've accepted that the United States is going to continue to gradually get worse with zero worthwhile government intervention coming. It's good in the sense that I don't doom scroll politics poo poo anymore, and focus on putting my energy into positivity to the community instead of fretting about the next chud atrocity.

Watching Portland go from the city I loved into this rotted corpse filled to the brim with garbage and the most vulnerable of society not being cared for in even a basic manner in just a span of a few years has been wild to watch.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I see people saying this on our local subreddit too but I feel like I almost never experience it. I think usually I tend to give slower drivers a pass for at least being careful or safer though? I dunno, that doesn't bug me much, I usually just go "uh hello?" and go around. There's no law against going under the speed limit, but I feel like 5-10mph is "standard" for some people.

kazr posted:

I've accepted that the United States is going to continue to gradually get worse with zero worthwhile government intervention coming. It's good in the sense that I don't doom scroll politics poo poo anymore, and focus on putting my energy into positivity to the community instead of fretting about the next chud atrocity.

Watching Portland go from the city I loved into this rotted corpse filled to the brim with garbage and the most vulnerable of society not being cared for in even a basic manner in just a span of a few years has been wild to watch.

Yes this too. My wife and I will not be living in this country 10 years from now, I highly suspect. It's hard not to feel like things are just getting worse and worse and more and more brutal and it feels like a matter of time before some crazy shooting happens near us or something and we just nope the gently caress out of this country for good. Thank god I have permanent residency in a much better country through her.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

What kind of chill cruisin' music were you listening to driving on those empty roads? (You will be judged by GoonsTM for your choice)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mistle posted:

What kind of chill cruisin' music were you listening to driving on those empty roads? (You will be judged by GoonsTM for your choice)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Ty3YnWN80

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Dude let's face it, COVID ruled, and we weren't even ready for it. Imagine when COVID 2.0 drops and everyone is already working from home or dead

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I think covid screwed with my brain, ever since it laid me out for 2 weeks I've had random bouts of not being able to type or speak coherently, like I'll start typing the end of a word before the start and end up tiwring ervy srtangs wrdos or just plain dropping random words entirely and when I try to speak it just comes out as total gibberish for the first two or three tries. I have noticed it happening less and less often as time goes on though, the weirdest day I had was when I was 4 to 5 days into the infection when my hearing went all weird like it had reverb set with really short delay and long decay.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah it affected my hearing as well, which thankfully went away, and gave me brain fog and fatigue which seems to be permanent. but also im getting old and i smoke a lot of weed so, probably that too. but there was a very noticeable difference before and after i got covid.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Toxic Mental posted:

I see people saying this on our local subreddit too but I feel like I almost never experience it. I think usually I tend to give slower drivers a pass for at least being careful or safer though? I dunno, that doesn't bug me much, I usually just go "uh hello?" and go around. There's no law against going under the speed limit, but I feel like 5-10mph is "standard" for some people.

Around me people driving too slow has become a huge problem, another thing I swear wasn't anywhere near this bad 5 or so years ago. Driving slow is not always safer. On highways, the safest thing to do is flow with traffic around you. In most cases, if everyone else is going faster than you, then you are the one being unsafe.

Then way too often these days people go slow enough through stop lights that not nearly enough cars get through that should be able to, and other similar situations. I know, "that's just city driving", but it's another thing that seems to have gotten significantly worse post-covid and I wish I knew why.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 22, 2023

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Around me people driving too slow has become a huge problem, another thing I swear wasn't anywhere near this bad 5 or so years ago. Driving slow is not always safer. On highways, the safest thing to do is flow with traffic around you. In most cases, if everyone else is going faster than you, then you are the one being unsafe.

Then way too often these days people go slow enough through stop lights that not nearly enough cars get through that should be able to, and other similar situations. I know, "that's just city driving", but it's another thing that I swear has gotten significantly worse post-covid and I wish I knew why.

My red stoplight tiktoks are the only thing holding China together and they take a lot of time and honking

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Private Cumshoe posted:

My red stoplight tiktoks are the only thing holding China together and they take a lot of time and honking

Oh, well that I can excuse.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Then way too often these days people go slow enough through stop lights that not nearly enough cars get through that should be able to, and other similar situations. I know, "that's just city driving", but it's another thing that seems to have gotten significantly worse post-covid and I wish I knew why.

I mean obviously no one wants people to just run the gently caress into them from behind and will get out of the way. I'd rather people didn't take risky chances and fly around super fast through lights and poo poo. I've had people lay on the horn because they expected me to blast through a yellow light at the last second and they'd get through in the last milisecond but I chose to just slow down and stop.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Toxic Mental posted:

The slow thing I am talking about is mostly in town. Like, people going 25 on a road with a 35 mph posted speed where 40 is totally reasonable and normal. It's called a Parkway, goddamn it.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I was in Fuzhou, China when the Wuhan outbreak happened. I was working a English language center job that went online for five months. I thought it was peaceful. I learned how to cook, played a ton a video games and got back into reading.

I was going to go back to the US to study, but then I got a job at a bilingual school where I also got my teaching license, which I used to get an even better job last school year.

Living in the Zero COVID bubble wasnt bad at first. Sure, you had to get tested every few days and God forbid if you were unfortunate enough to be at the same place as a positive case, but it truly felt like it was 2019 at times. Then, it got dropped last December and your boss gets pissed if you don't show up to work despite coughing up half a lung every few minutes.

Covid has helped me grow personally, but it's made me more distrustful of other people and individuals. It's amazing how folks will hold the simultaneous beliefs that it is just the flu while also being a bioengineered viral weapon that justifies hostility towards China.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Okuteru posted:

Covid has helped me grow personally, but it's made me more distrustful of other people and individuals.

That's covid in a nutshell (seedshell)?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Okuteru posted:

I was in Fuzhou, China when the Wuhan outbreak happened. I was working a English language center job that went online for five months. I thought it was peaceful. I learned how to cook, played a ton a video games and got back into reading.

I was going to go back to the US to study, but then I got a job at a bilingual school where I also got my teaching license, which I used to get an even better job last school year.

Living in the Zero COVID bubble wasnt bad at first. Sure, you had to get tested every few days and God forbid if you were unfortunate enough to be at the same place as a positive case, but it truly felt like it was 2019 at times. Then, it got dropped last December and your boss gets pissed if you don't show up to work despite coughing up half a lung every few minutes.

Covid has helped me grow personally, but it's made me more distrustful of other people and individuals. It's amazing how folks will hold the simultaneous beliefs that it is just the flu while also being a bioengineered viral weapon that justifies hostility towards China.

Didn't they nuke the English teaching scene in China though?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i just want to mention that right at the outset of this poo poo I think it was a goon that did movies streaming nonstop and there was some very good horror movies and i want to thank them :patriot:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

of course my job was essential so i never got to have a day off lol...lol

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

an interesting thing that Canada did was give out like ~$60,000 loans to lots of registered business at 0% interest.

our govt also had something about repaying 75% meant that you didnt have to repay the rest. so just tax free money to business that could float that.

so thats dumb, but heres the kicker. all those $60,000 loans come due this january 1st for all those businesses, and i think thats going to be the vast majority

thankfully its a 5% interest, but thats more loans about to require interest and its going to be coming out a lot of pockets.

prime is already really high for the mortgages that people qualified under different rates

i say gently caress EM i hope it implodes, and i really dont like saying that because the people who bought at the top of the market are gonna get burnt

we cant afford a house in my own city even with our reasonably pretty good incomes

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Toxic Mental posted:

Didn't they nuke the English teaching scene in China though?

The Language Center Scene, yes. Dancing English monkey jobs are extinct in China now. A lot of those centers are now after school programs and they employ either Chinese or foreigners outside of the big 7. Hell, even online English supplemental programs are banned.

Bilingual and International schools are fine for now, but the pandemic and government interference have had impacts. Because of double reduction, We're not supposed to give written homework to grade 3 or below. This has caused writing levels among students to just drop like a stone.