Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Tunicate posted:

She'd only shoot him down after he decided to skip the meeting, Kamala has a zero tolerance policy for truancy.

This is funny. More of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

mcvey posted:

I hope Putin gets gaddafi'd

Private Cumshoe posted:

I hope Putin gets Trotskied

I hope Putin's punishment is both novel and deserved to the point where people use it in the same fashion as these two examples.

Dwesa posted:

UA MoD warns that they will consider all RU ships in Black Sea as potential targets

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1682017975572766722

UA MoD sharpened their Tridents for some whale hunting?

EDIT: :engleft: I'm thinking Neptune missiles.

Philonius posted:

The arrival of a division of winged hussars will be widely recognized as the defining turning point of the war.

So When the Winged Hussars Arrive will need even more disambiguation?

Tigey posted:

Girkin's in a real pickle now

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Ukraine War: Girkin's in a real pickle now

Mistle fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 22, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

gooberev

dude should be a boxer

punching above his weight like that

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Least Swollen Liver RU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Alan Smithee posted:

gooberev

dude should be a boxer

punching above his weight like that

eastern_european_couple.jpg

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Mall Santa and a terrorist, what more could you ask for in a husband.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Zardoz head but balding

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mistle posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Ukraine War: Girkin's in a real pickle now

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Yes. We must maximize our cringe.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lol

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1682667526973542400
A fuel dump and a huge ammo storage in or near the Oktyabr'skoye airfield, in Crimea, detonated after a drone attack.

zone fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 22, 2023

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I know they’ve been controversial but the cluster bombs arrived and are in play. Apparently they’re being quite effective in the Bakmut area.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...oops-in-ukraine

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

what artillery, ammunition, air defence and armor tanks doing?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1682395286323228672

quote:

Russian propagandist Skabeyeva has a discussion with another propagandist:

"We are ready to wage war with Turkey. Erdogan claims the Black Sea."
"Olya, we won't go to war with Turkey."
"What about Bulgaria, Romania? We'll just hit them, maybe?"
"Olya, we have to finish in Ukraine first, let's not be thoughtless and overconfident."

Propagandist Skabeyeva is very eager to start a war with one of the NATO countries.
He thinks there's going to be anything left after what's been done to POCCNR's army already.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
This has got to be one of those situations where she knows she's lying, everyone around her knows she's lying, but everyone goes along with the lies anyways.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's always wild to me to see Russian media. Like they are emulating Fox News as much as possible, but its obviously all about Russia.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Russia has genuinely bombed New York, killing four civilians. Finally time to evoke article five?...

New York. Donetsk Oblast

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1682677019635593218
They were given 32 AS-90 back in March (possibly 20 plus 12 non-working for parts if you believe Wikipedia but it has no citation). They've been seen in action and at least one lost.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Sashimi posted:

This has got to be one of those situations where she knows she's lying, everyone around her knows she's lying, but everyone goes along with the lies anyways.

The attack on Constantinople can begin as soon as Steiner's army takes Odessa

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tigey posted:

The attack on Constantinople can begin as soon as Steiner's army takes Odessa

Man, I must have missed that part of his career in Impact.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Putin calculated a 141 and 2/3rds percent chance of taking Kyiv in three days

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

:wtc:

Quite possibly the dumbest loving thing to ever spew from her mouth.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Hey listen if they want to end ALL their wars for a long time by starting one or two more, it's tempting to encourage them

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1682608823263961089

:lol: I bet they've provided the Southern Military District with Shagohods, Armored Cores, and Battle Droid reinforcements too.

They were totally there, we swear! We just took them back real quick!!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I've finally found a perspective on the war effort that shows some effort and doesn't stink of obvious propaganda. Or at least it's much less obvious about it:

https://engelsbergideas.com/essays/russian-fortifications-present-an-old-problem-for-ukraine/

The essay is fairly short and worth reading, but here's the broad outline:

quote:

The fact is that Western military science, which has not been tested against a peer enemy in more than a generation, has got a major development in warfare seriously wrong, radically overestimating the power of offensive manoeuvre by highly mobile, digitally-networked forces that are relatively light, highly expensive, and in short supply [..] Until very recently, Western military theory has tended to regard fortification as having been made obsolescent by advances in the power and accuracy of weapons and the development of combined arms manoeuvre tactics. [..] It turns out that high-intensity conventional warfare in the twenty-first century is simply far more dependent upon the old necessities of mass and the physical and moral ability to endure and replace losses of men and equipment than many people expected. [..] If these assertions are surprising to readers, it is because the outpourings of Western military punditry have been so dismal

quote:

Superficially, it is not that Russian military is employing defensive fieldworks in a way that is particularly new. [..] In basic form and means of construction, Russian field fortifications would seem to differ little from those prescribed in doctrine during the 1960s.[..] The sheer size of the current fortifications, which exceed well over a thousand kilometres in length and up to fifty kilometres in depth, and the speed with which they were constructed is a sign that Russia has retained significant military engineering capabilities. In current conditions this turns out to be an approach to defence in depth which is still important.

quote:

Field fortifications are by definition expedient: the point is to use the ground one must defend sensibly, deploy whatever resources are available creatively, and estimate enemy intentions, tactics, and weapons accurately. The evidence suggests that Russian commanders have done this well. A noteworthy and generally misinterpreted Russian military practice has been the effective redeployment of supposedly antiquated military systems, including old tanks and naval anti-aircraft gun turrets, specifically integrated into defensive positions where they provide good service as field artillery and useful, if rudimentary, short-range air defence against cheap commercial drones and quadcopters.

quote:

It follows that the prospects for the Ukrainian counteroffensive are dim. Should that conclusion strike readers as especially disappointing it might provide some consolation that, perhaps in relatively short order, it will be up to Russia to find a solution to the conundrum of renewing the decisiveness of the offensive in warfare against contemporary field fortifications which has so far eluded everyone else. The likelihood, barring significant alteration of the geopolitical positions taken by the main belligerents, is that it will be a long while before it ends.

Tl;dr: 21st-century armour and infantry doesn't counter 21st-century fixed defences

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

I've finally found a perspective on the war effort that shows some effort and doesn't stink of obvious propaganda. Or at least it's much less obvious about it:

https://engelsbergideas.com/essays/russian-fortifications-present-an-old-problem-for-ukraine/

The essay is fairly short and worth reading, but here's the broad outline:

Tl;dr: 21st-century armour and infantry doesn't counter 21st-century fixed defences

In my amateur opinion, it's because air power is a non factor in this war.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

:lol: Armata!

I suggest a joint formal response from Ukraine and NATO something along the lines of "The T-14 Armata constitutes an escalation of the Russian invasions firepower and will be matched by an escalation in arms provided to Ukraine to combat this new menace to their sovereignty. The NATO warlock towers will be providing new magic missiles and a rebuilt Deathstar for Ukrainian forces use at their discretion. Russia's continued escalation of this conflict will not go unanswered."

Technically they do give the Russians more fire power. And smoke. That's why they got rolled back to the shop again for further "testing".

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

redshirt posted:

In my amateur opinion, it's because air power is a non factor in this war.

It's this. You can build whatever you want but if you have a cab rank of planes dropping guided bombs, you are going to make holes in defences.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1682734897083940865
This guy, who was around for and an active combatant in the 2014 invasion of Ukraine, ran out of luck recently.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

"less obvious"

https://twitter.com/DavidBe31099196/status/1626276429280301057?s=20
https://twitter.com/DavidBe31099196/status/1631553215178199045?s=20
https://twitter.com/DavidBe31099196/status/1666482696283906061?s=20

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

zone posted:

This guy, who was around for and an active combatant in the 2014 invasion of Ukraine, ran out of luck recently.

Throws sunflower seeds in his general direction. :utruck:

-----

I think the generous amount of missiles on both sides has dampened the use of aircraft quite a lot notwithstanding Ukraine's currently limited supply of aircraft.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Good points raised in that text raised about the Russian fortification. I have to eat my words - when they first started, there was a lot of making GBS threads on what they’ve built along the fron but it seems they’ve managed to work well at scale and also they’ve dug in well enough to hold the Ukrainian attack. Wether that is enough to hold a proper heavy armored assault is another topic but they’ve achieved their strategic goal with these fortifications.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Hannibal Rex posted:

"less obvious"

Lmao goddammit

I did google the author a bit and only found boring respectable academic stuff, including teaching in courses that sounded funded by US/UK defense apparatuses, so I thought he was pretty clear. Didn't find that account, probably because of the J I included.

To be fair, I don't think that thinking "USA did NS2" automatically makes one a Russian stooge; the Hersh article was crap but they're still a very plausible candidate. But crap like "the world is done with the West's 'rule-based order'" is purestrain Putin-speak.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 22, 2023

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

Lmao goddammit

I did google the author a bit and only found boring respectable academic stuff, including teaching in courses that sounded funded by US/UK defense apparatuses, so I thought he was pretty clear. Didn't find that account, probably because of the J I included.

To be fair, I don't think that thinking "USA did NS2" automatically makes one a Russian stooge; the Hersh article was crap but they're still a very plausible candidate. But crap like "the world is done with the West's 'rule-based order'" is purestrain Putin-speak, to the point I'm wondering if that Twitter article is actually by the same guy.

The first quote you had about the failure of NATO maneuver strategy seemed highly suspect right off the bat. NATO is not fighting, the Ukrainian army is. It's using largely Soviet-era equipment designed for Soviet tactics.

Ukraine has gotten only a dribble of western hardware thus far, not enough to make a significant difference. They've been learning NATO maneuver tactics, but are hardly the best exemplars of it. Old Soviet thinking is still a major problem they're trying to overcome.

So I was immediately suspicious of his credibility due to his emphasis on "NATO is a failure."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

If NATO is a zombie, its a very successful one

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I say Russia didn't blow up the dam so the staggering amount of evidence indicating they did do it doesn't count :smug:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Saying that the war proves the Western investment in ground-based maneuver warfare wrong is like being surprised a three -legged stool falls over when you try to use it without one of the legs. The effective absence of air power and shortcomings in artillery supply deprives any spearhead of the fire it needs to suppress the defending force as the attacks clear obstacles. If anything, we might say there's been an underinvestment in assault-supporting mine clearing technologies and hardware, but it's fairly understandable given the mission efficacy of the rest of the material used together.

So, again, either we wait out Russian replenishment capacity and resolve or we get Operation Steppe Shield underway to push the invader back. Both are possible and the pursuit of the latter doesn't necessarily preclude achieving victory through the former given the amount of time required to ramp up public support and military capacity. Might as well start that consensus building now.

Neither will be possible with Trump retaking the White House and I'd wager we see many tankies becoming more overtly pro-Trump as we match into election season. They've already embraced a host of unabashedly far-right voices where they feed their narrative and it's become clear that all the griping about "libs allying with fascists" is projection.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

If NATO is a zombie, its a very successful one

Usually in zombie movies, the zombie virus spreads from the zombies biting people. Strange that this one seems to have people spontaneously turning after the zombie hunters start preemptively biting.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also yeah, highly mobile combined warfare doesn't work when you've waited a year and a half to reach the bare minimum standard of training and equipment. All the whole the enemy was free to dig in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

zone posted:

RT scum and Russian officials already running with "targeting poor journalists"
https://twitter.com/Dpol_un/status/1682732297882042368
(good on UN representative saying that Zaporizhie is Ukraine heh)

meanwhile the hero himself outright stated how he despises objectivity and dressing in press corps gear (that he declared "liberal bullshit")
https://twitter.com/Alexey__Kovalev/status/1682756268396625928

russian war correspondents have been very happy posing with weapons, dressing in camo with Z patches and helping servicemen load artillery so it is not easy for them to claim noncombatant status and their smarter colleagues that actually take caution in these matters can thank them for painting targets on everyone (not sure if artillery round can differentiate anyway)