Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

knox_harrington posted:

yup for sure, or surface area, or lean mass.

we were working on pediatric dosing for a cell therapy I work on and one proposal was to base it off estimated blood volume. cell therapy Pk is very different from small molecule Pk of course.

Simply exsanguinate the child, measure the amount of blood, and then resanguinate them.

mediaphage posted:

anyway seems like yet another an indictment of society that everyone’s in enough pain all the time to only buy extra strength versions

"My pain is important, I want the strongest thing you've got!"

Less "everyone is in pain" and more "everyone is more important than everyone"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mediaphage posted:

generally i get way better care from nurses than i ever do doctors but like with any job it’s hit and miss. anyway with ibuprofen try to take it with food or a big glass of water to make it easier on your stomach. also do not take it regularly with pepto bismol.

i can’t remember if i’ve brought it up before but i’ve noticed a trend in the last few years where almost all the ibuprofen and acetaminophen in the pharmacies are now extra strength only. i actually have to hunt for the “regular strength” pills so that i have more latitude with dosing

anyway seems like yet another an indictment of society that everyone’s in enough pain all the time to only buy extra strength versions

in china they only sell ibuprofen in powered form or in blister packs of only 6 pills

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

"more important" doesn't make any sense, both are available and have nothing to do with "importance." you're doing the weird cspam thing.

but note that they're the same prize, and so taking one 500mg pill goes through a bottle half as fast as if you normally take two 200mg pills. if you want one 200mg this doesn't really help, but for even doses it saves money. and even for the non budget conscious, "more = better value" is pretty common (and again, isn't some weirdo indictment of the person buying it)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Achmed Jones posted:

"more important" doesn't make any sense, both are available and have nothing to do with "importance." you're doing the weird cspam thing.

but note that they're the same prize, and so taking one 500mg pill goes through a bottle half as fast as if you normally take two 200mg pills. if you want one 200mg this doesn't really help, but for even doses it saves money. and even for the non budget conscious, "more = better value" is pretty common (and again, isn't some weirdo indictment of the person buying it)

i don’t think i did any of that!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a doc once told me ibuprofen dosage is more about controlling usage over time rather than a single dosage. the guideline he gave me was 100mg per hour.

like the idea is if you do 2x200mg standard pills thats 400mg or 4 hours before you should take more and ensuring minimal long term dosing is more important than any single dose.

like if you take 4x200mg pills at once for acute pain and then you dont take anything for another month thats probably not a problem, but if you're taking like 4 a day every day for weeks thats a problem

altho to be clear all dosing guidelines are guesses based on minimal effective dosing and on top of that its possible that for some people guideline doses are completely ineffective.

as always consult your primary care physician before listening to anything posted online

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

i don’t think i did any of that!
someone else said "more important" so I'm not sure he's responding to you

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mystes posted:

acting like a fart post is in good faith is always a mistake

mystes
May 31, 2006

oh he was doing the weird fart simpson thing

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mystes posted:

if he wasnt replying to the post above, why didnt he quote it? checkmate

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

if he wasnt replying to the post above, why didnt he quote it? checkmate
He wasn't replying to the post above (your post); that's exactly why he didn't quote it.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

in china they only sell ibuprofen in powered form or in blister packs of only 6 pills

whats it powered by :mmmhmm:

mystes
May 31, 2006

if that's what they sell in china do they sell other forms in plastic or paper packaging?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm fart simpson

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

mystes posted:

I'm fart simpson

mystes
May 31, 2006

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

hmm I would be wary of generalising and some drugs are even “ideal body weight” it’s not like you get to take more drugs just coz you’re a wee bit chunky lol

ok FINE i will defer to an expert

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

post hole digger posted:

whats it powered by :mmmhmm:

ibuprofen

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fart simpson posted:

powered? like with a motor?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

powered? like with a motor?

with chemicals

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy