Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Brut posted:

Hoshoryu still has a live Ozeki run right now, he'll be at 33 if he wins tomorrow, but even if he loses (and doesn't still get promoted) he'll be at 11 and 11, so needing another 11 to reach 33 next basho. The main reason I think 32 won't get him promoted this time is that 2 of the wins last basho were fusen.

Adding another bit here, there's some weird optics if Hoshoryu loses to the rookie and still gets the promotion. If he gets the Yusho, I think it's a lock though. Beating HakJr and losing to Hokutofuji in a play off would probably also lead to a dicey decision

Very high stakes tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Hoshoryu may be in a place to capitalize on the sad state of affairs up top. I can't imagine the council would be all too pleased with having tournaments with just a single ozeki, I can see them promoting with 32. I don't think it's likely, but I can see it.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Robviously posted:

Hoshoryu may be in a place to capitalize on the sad state of affairs up top. I can't imagine the council would be all too pleased with having tournaments with just a single ozeki, I can see them promoting with 32. I don't think it's likely, but I can see it.

We still have at least two Ozeki next basho, though who knows if Takakeisho actually shows up.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Brut posted:

We still have at least two Ozeki next basho, though who knows if Takakeisho actually shows up.

With how sumo is, unless Takakeisho or Kirishima are incapable of walking I would expect both to at least compete until their record is way underwater.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Oh I just realized that both ozeki will be kadoban next basho. I imagine they will both recover assuming they can stay healthy, but if not there could be some interesting banzuke shuffling for November.

I feel kinda bad for Nishikigi. The dude went through the entire sanyaku and only lost to Kotonowaka, I think? Hakuoho's road was a fair bit easier by comparison.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I won't be upset if Hokutofuji takes this whole thing, guy's been on a tear

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Nativity In Black posted:

I was a little surprised that Nishikigi didn't win off the initial push to the rope

letting his opponent push him to the rope and then fighting off there seems to be an intentional part of Hakuoho's style, which I'm curious about; it seems insanely risky, but it definitely works more often than not

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Flesnolk posted:

letting his opponent push him to the rope and then fighting off there seems to be an intentional part of Hakuoho's style, which I'm curious about; it seems insanely risky, but it definitely works more often than not

Especially risky in Nagoya with how slippery everything is.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Brut posted:

Given the rate of injuries lately, I believe this when I see it. And I say this fully advocating that they should enforce rules regarding injury rest and rehab to make sure that Basho are fought at as close to optimal conditioning as possible.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Robviously posted:

I honestly doubt it. Jun-yusho in a basho where Teru and Keisho pulled out and Kirishima was clearly diminished isn't gonna fulfill the subjective criteria the old folks look for when considering a 32-win case.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Wakamotoharu deserves that loss for trying that on Hoshoryu!

Hakuoho is very good.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Robviously posted:

Given the rate of injuries lately, I believe this when I see it. And I say this fully advocating that they should enforce rules regarding injury rest and rehab to make sure that Basho are fought at as close to optimal conditioning as possible.

All I meant was that they'll both be on the Banzuke as Ozeki, which is a certainty. Beyond that, who knows :shrug:.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Beating HakJr and losing to Hokutofuji in a play off would probably also lead to a dicey decision

Very high stakes tomorrow!

33 wins and a playoff loss to a vet like Hokutofuji? Nothing dicey about that imo, especially because Hokutofuji is from Hakkaku’s stable. I doubt he’d want to go “My heyagashira is so poo poo that losing to him means you can’t be an ozeki”

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I would like to trade Shodai to get Asanoyama back please!

Edit: Hopefully this trade was registered?

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Typically you can't trade after day 8, and trades that do happen are when your current pick goes kyujo. Maybe there could be some special exemption for a previous kyujo trade if your formerly kyujo pick comes back, but I don't believe that's ever been done. Usually people will just explicitly decide to keep their kyujo wrestler on the team.

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner, I was watching late at night and then a couple days got away from me. Saturnine Aberrance is correct, we've not permitted trades after Day 8 in the past, and the kyujo auto-trade was created so that people wouldn't be down a wrestler for like 6 days in case of injury, cause that's a bummer. Requesting to keep the kyujo wrestler is ideal, but that requires people be up-to-date with the basho every day, and are able to post. I've added a clarification to the *Extremely fine-grained kyujo auto-trading rules:

quote:

Week 2 - Days 8-15 (trading closed):
If a wrestler goes kyujo:

1) All auto-trades will use the initial draft wire, but will suffer the fusen penalty first. No trade requests are available in week 2. If a given wrestler on the wire is unavailable the player is, alas, boned.
2) If a player made week 1 trade requests that differ from the initial draft picks these will be followed instead of the initial draft request, if possible.
3) If a kyujo wrestler returns to action after the auto-trades have gone through, a player can request to return to their original wrestler, but all trading penalties (point deductions, loss of wire position, etc. apply), and the auto-traded rikishi remains as having been on the team for purposes of registering a MK (if applicable).

As a result, Nativity In Black has Asanoyama again from Day 13. Thanks to Saturnine Aberrance for suggesting the exception, it was something I'd been wondering about myself.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I think that Hoshoryu might still get promoted even with a loss tomorrow, although certainly a win would clinch it. I think if his loss tomorrow is a good loss in a strong bout that might actually be the decider. Winning in powerful fashion against a henka-ing Wakamotoharu was perfect. Also, my man Hakuohu definitely living up to expectations.

Heading for an exciting final day tomorrow!

Day 14 standings

Makuuchi
code:
47	Brut
43.5	Pakled
43	Akiosan
42.5	Charles Gnarwin
42.5	Mode 7
42.5	NuclearPotato
42.5	Vargatron
42	Kenning
41.5	MyChemicalImbalance
41	Eli949
41	Khizan
41	Saturnine Aberrance
41	Teddybear
40	Iron Chef Nex
39	Banana Canada
39	GoatSeeGuy
39	Marching Powder
39	Netsky
38.5	Kuros
38.5	Lid
38.5	Tochiazuma
38.5	whats for dinner
38	Everyones Favorite Poster
38	Fluffdaddy
37.5	Thauros
37	Helianthus Annuus
36.5	bessantj
36	anakha
35	bartolimu
35	pseudodragon
34.5	Ice Phisherman
34.5	Tiny Bug Child
34	Communist Thoughts
33.5	Robviously
31	Jobbo_Fett
30.5	LlamaTrauma
Juryo
code:
48	FART BOSS
46.5	rare Magic card l00k
46	Crusty Nutsack
44	Chinook
42.5	Single Tight Female
42	Average Lettuce
42	Nativity In Black
41	Ben Nerevarine
40.5	Bentai
40	Octatonic
40	Samuel L. Hacksaw
40	Xerzes
39.5	Fearless
38.5	NTRabbit
38	Boogalo
37	Dead Goon
37	Eldoop
37	ratmosphere
37	Takuan
36.5	QuasiQuack
36	Gaghskull
36	Log082
36	oldskool
34	PJ
32	ImplicitAssembler
29.5	Medenmath
25.5	Beexoffel

Kenning fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 23, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Could they make Hakuoho a chonmage out of tape if he wins the tournament tomorrow

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Hope shiroc got a hakuoho tegata because he'll never be m17 again

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

drat I fell hard

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Kenning posted:

my man Hakuhohu

:laugh:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

There is a chance for a seven-man playoff for the Juryo yusho, if the matches below end as follows:
  • Shishi d. Daiamami (both 10-5)
  • Kitanowaka d. Tomokaze (both 10-5)
  • Tamashoho d. Chiyosakae (Tamashoho 10-5)
  • Akua d. Atamifuji (Atamifuji 10-5)
  • Kagayaki d. Churanoumi (Kagayaki 10-5)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Has a guy without a topknot ever won a Makuuchi Yusho before?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm submitting my resignation paperwork in symbolic humiliation.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Pakled posted:

Has a guy without a topknot ever won a Makuuchi Yusho before?

I seriously doubt it, but then again, Ichinojo did take jun-yusho at Aki 2014, before he had enough hair for a topknot (also his makuuchi debut).

He lost to Hakuho, incidentally, who came first in 5/6 tournaments that year. Aki 2014 was his 31st yusho.

It'd be kind of funny if Hakuoho managed the feat just because there was no Hakuho to shut him down.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Itchy henka'd Kisenosato and Kakuryu on the way to that jun-yusho while Hakuoho has played it straight so far. Even if the latter is only the runner-up after today, I'd say his achievement would look more impressive.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

anakha posted:

Itchy henka'd Kisenosato and Kakuryu

i'm sorry but the loving balls to do this excuses it and even elevates it imo

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Imagine getting henka'd by a giant brick wall with no mobility who is also drunk

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Lid posted:

Imagine getting henka'd by a giant brick wall with no mobility who is also drunk

That's why it worked; they never saw it coming!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ichinojo was unbeatable when he went into an alcohol withdrawal fugue state and visualised his opponent as the bar owner's wife

ichinojo's stable master was reprimanded for forcing a fifth division rikishi to lure ichinojo to training by dressing in unconvincing drag and shrieking about him not paying his tab outside his window until an enraged ichinojo would let his insatiable need to be an absolute prick get him accidentally attending practice. again.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
if a 400 pound man pulls off a successful henka on you, you probably deserved it, tbh

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1682965450144231424

Special prizes announced
Shukun sho: Nishikigi

Kanto sho: Hakuoho, Hokutofuji

Kanto sho if they win their final day match: Hoshoryu, Kotonowaka, Gonoyama, Shonnanoumi
Note that none of these 4 are fighting each other, so they could all get it, which apparently would be a record.

Gino sho: Hakuoho

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Marching Powder posted:

ichinojo was unbeatable when he went into an alcohol withdrawal fugue state and visualised his opponent as the bar owner's wife

ichinojo's stable master was reprimanded for forcing a fifth division rikishi to lure ichinojo to training by dressing in unconvincing drag and shrieking about him not paying his tab outside his window until an enraged ichinojo would let his insatiable need to be an absolute prick get him accidentally attending practice. again.

Lol. I mean I know I really loving shouldn't laugh but still. Lol.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Anybody have good NHK streams for senshuraku? I'm bad at keeping up with the state of the art.

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Kenning posted:

Anybody have good NHK streams for senshuraku? I'm bad at keeping up with the state of the art.

This channel usually switches to the NHK english commentary once it starts.

https://kick.com/dondondondon

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2023/07/23/kiji/20230723s00005000323000c.html
Hiradoumi is out tonight. Left thigh injury.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Kenning posted:

NHKs keep getting murdered quick so I end up just watching the one abema youtube left. Twitch channels also run abema but the player doesnt have rewind.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

FART BOSS posted:

This channel usually switches to the NHK english commentary once it starts.

https://kick.com/dondondondon

Thanks very much!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

All three shinnyumaku got their special prizes. Very excited for this class.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
holy poo poo midorifuji, where was this sumo the rest of the basho?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Shodai!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Shodai.