Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Professor Wayne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK-ZRxeJIiU

Amazing to see Dennis transform from this into a boomer about technology over the course of the show

He's not wrong though

That was when he was in his 30s(?) still trying to hang on to a semblance of youth. Now he's in his 40s and life is moving too fast for him to keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

The Flanderization makes sense in context. These are people whose toxic codependence has kept their lives stagnant since high school, and they double and triple down on this gang being their entire identities. They're growing old, having never gotten a real job or achieved anything with their lives. All they have are each other and their hairbrained schemes.

Each passing year, their situation gets more and more pathetic, and so do they.

I largely agree but they really hosed it up with Dee, early seasons Dee was a lovely person but in a (relatively) subtle way behind a veneer of liberal progressiveness, giving her a backstory about setting her roommate on fire and then an origin story about getting brain damage that made her evil really just undercut her original characterisation

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like Dennis's frustrations in the episode weren't really "boomer" and are pretty universally shared. Nobody wants to download another app and create another account for a one time transaction. Everybody hates how it's borderline impossible to have issues resolved because of endless automated systems and phone trees. It's not that he doesn't know how to use or understand the technology.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Thank God they haven't even begun to peak

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I feel like Dennis's frustrations in the episode weren't really "boomer" and are pretty universally shared. Nobody wants to download another app and create another account for a one time transaction. Everybody hates how it's borderline impossible to have issues resolved because of endless automated systems and phone trees. It's not that he doesn't know how to use or understand the technology.

Yea, I didn't get "old person is mad at technology" at all from the episode. It was more specific than that.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
He was even genuinely excited at the start to be getting the cool status symbol car.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I liked the ep and the whole app thing is real and sucks

Like here's a post in YOSPOS the day the episode aired:

Wayne Knight posted:

Was just at a hospital for a scheduled visit, and found their parking garage removed the ticket dispensers and credit card machines and replaced it with an app. There were signs everywhere telling you to scan the QR code, associate your license place to your phone number, add a payment method, etc etc. I started going through the process but I got to the point where I had to agree to binding arbitration (again, to park at a hospital) and gave up.

I asked how to pay if you didn't have a phone and they directed me to some people in the little room where the (presumably laid off) cashier used to be. It was clearly people from the app company walking people through how to bring up the QR code that gets you out. I explained, they looked at me like I was a loon for not just tapping next next finish and ran my card through an ipad. Are they going to be there next time? Is there really no alternative way to pay? You must own a smartphone and send your data to some company in order to PARK AT A HOSPITAL? What the gently caress is wrong with people?

edit: these are the rentseekers: https://www.metropolis.io/

felked
Jul 4, 2023

What a nightmare

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dennis already had his anti-technology spiel in 'the anti-social network' and he also goes into his own head in that episode, but that episode was a lot more fun and had the entirety of the gang involved, and it also leaned in on the joke being that Dennis doesn't really have a coherent point to make about technology and social networks he's just resentful of being left out and not understanding what's cool anymore, and really the message in this episode wasn't any different except for the fact that the show now agrees with Dennis that a lot of the technology is impractical and impersonal but really like... don't buy a Tesla? my car still has a key, paying with the phone is more convenient; so yeah idk, feels like the old episode got the humor of the situation right, while the new one is kinda just a little... the ramblings of a guy who had this one bad experience with his Tesla?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Dennis should just get his grandkids to install the right apps while he tells them hilarious jokes about Ice Spice being a Spice Girl he's never heard of.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Dennis already had his anti-technology spiel in 'the anti-social network' and he also goes into his own head in that episode, but that episode was a lot more fun and had the entirety of the gang involved, and it also leaned in on the joke being that Dennis doesn't really have a coherent point to make about technology and social networks he's just resentful of being left out and not understanding what's cool anymore, and really the message in this episode wasn't any different except for the fact that the show now agrees with Dennis that a lot of the technology is impractical and impersonal but really like... don't buy a Tesla? my car still has a key, paying with the phone is more convenient; so yeah idk, feels like the old episode got the humor of the situation right, while the new one is kinda just a little... the ramblings of a guy who had this one bad experience with his Tesla?

None of that happened though, everything in the episode is in his head and his own inner vision during his amazing flex in front of the doctor as he wills his blood pressure down. It's all just a nonsense fabrication of events that piss him off (lately).

In reality it was just Dennis being a golden God and we got a glimpse into what fantasies he has to retain his impeccable and enviable calmness.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Sunny Podcast YouTube just posted a short about them doing a soccer podcast now? "In These Cleats". Interesting. I don't give a poo poo about it, but apparently they're doing some podcast network thing now.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Professor Wayne posted:

Amazing to see Dennis transform from this into a boomer about technology over the course of the show

So just to be clear, anytime anyone over the age of 30 has an issue with technology that everyone of all ages has the same issues with you're calling them a boomer?

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

You're right. We need a new term to discredit an even wider demographic, millennials remember the era of keys dont they? Wait, yes we do, so how can we get included in there? What if we were just called Analogs? There is a wealth of insulting butt-humor in the first four letters alone! We don't use simple age discrimination, you just have to be able to correctly pick from a group of samples the sound of a LAN line makes when someone's using the internet, or perfectly mimic a dial-up modem. Anyone above sixty who didnt care for the internet just has to use a stick shift to be in.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Technophobes.

A term given to anyone that doesn't want to download an app & give access to all their information to be sold to advertisers in order to park their car or buy a bag of potato chips.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

ChesterJT posted:

So just to be clear, anytime anyone over the age of 30 has an issue with technology that everyone of all ages has the same issues with you're calling them a boomer?

Of course not. They could also have donkey brains, or they could just be a jabroni. But if you verbally complain about a cashless store in a major city while simultaneously pulling out your credit card or apple pay, you got some boomer in you.

In the clip I linked, Dennis asks the waitress to register an account on a website she has never heard of to rate him. I'm comfortable enough in my late 30s boomerism to admit that I think that is an absurd request. Just think of all the screens you have to go through

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

If I go to a restaurant and they tell me I need to scan a QR code for the menu, I will ask for a physical menu. If they tell me a physical menu does not exist, I will find a different restaurant. I am certainly with Dennis here.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I have a friend who installed one of those keyless smart locks and got locked out multiple times because their phone had died or the app wasn't working properly--so they eventually swapped it out for one that also took cards like you'd get at a hotel, and would still often get stuck out front for a minute or two whenever the lock was slow to "see" the card (which was great when it was raining or scorching hot). Just use a fuckin metal key lock or a keypad. I'm with Dennis here.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Absolutely. Same with a lot of things. But with a restaurant, or a cafe, i'm not downloading and using an app to order and/or pay. Sorry, that's ridicilous. I'm down to tap my phone to pay. I'm happy if your menu is online so I can look at it in advance. But to require that poo poo while I'm there? Nah, I'm going to McDonald's.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

ShowTime posted:

Absolutely. Same with a lot of things. But with a restaurant, or a cafe, i'm not downloading and using an app to order and/or pay. Sorry, that's ridicilous. I'm down to tap my phone to pay. I'm happy if your menu is online so I can look at it in advance. But to require that poo poo while I'm there? Nah, I'm going to McDonald's.

Yes, McDonald's. Where everyone uses the app to get free fries!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I use that app all the time. The difference is I know about it in advance, it works at thousands of locations, offers rewards and it's not REQUIRED. I can still just order at the drive-thru.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

more of a fantasy retelling of that time Glenn got stuck out of his car, kind of punctuating the differences between real Glenn and a Glenn who can't resist his worst tendencies (aka Dennis)

Keep in mind that the whole thing was an in-universe 'just a dream' sequence inside Dennis' head. It's not illogical that we would see a more idealized version of himself inside his own imagination. I noticed how he kept stopping and saying he wasn't mad at the phone reps he was mad at the situation which didn't seem like something capital D Dennis would actually do.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

ShowTime posted:

I use that app all the time. The difference is I know about it in advance, it works at thousands of locations, offers rewards and it's not REQUIRED. I can still just order at the drive-thru.

Oh, I get it, it's just funny you used an example of a restaurant where people are gleefully using the app.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Professor Wayne posted:

But if you verbally complain about a cashless store in a major city while simultaneously pulling out your credit card or apple pay, you got some boomer in you.

He's got credit cards and apple pay, there's nothing boomer about that. My point was that every other post/tweet/insta/etc has the word boomer in it and it's lost all meaning. Finding certain tech-related things annoying doesn't make you a boomer, it makes you a normal human being that gets annoyed by bullshit. Anyone who doesn't understand that is a savage and an idiot.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 23, 2023

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Ok Boomer

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

koolkal posted:

I liked the ep and the whole app thing is real and sucks

Like here's a post in YOSPOS the day the episode aired:

The gym at my apartment complex has underground parking, and while residents can just get a paper ticket and park there for up to an hour for free if you use their ~parking app~ you get unlimited parking. I noticed some fine print at the bottom of the instructions saying to ask about a no phone option so I did that. I went through about 3 levels of management across the gym, the parking company and my own leasing office before they finally just added something to my tenant profile that let me scan a little barcode fob to open the gates. The next time I went there they had moved the instructions around so you could no longer see the fine print at the bottom :xd:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

emanresu tnuocca posted:

he's just resentful of being left out and not understanding what's cool anymore,
What was the cool thing he didn't get?

For my money, it wasn't an episode about him being out of touch. It was an episode about the world becoming materially worse. There weren't a bunch of young people in the episode laughing at him for not getting it. He was right the whole time.

This is the most sympathetic Dennis has ever been. It was like watching Falling Down, only instead of a horrible conservative wank fantasy of an angry white man on a shooting spree because McDonald's won't serve breakfast after ten, it was poo poo that literally all of us hate.

loving *nobody* thinks not being able to reach customer service is cool and good. There's nobody on the other side of this issue but CEOs and investors.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

LividLiquid posted:

What was the cool thing he didn't get?

For my money, it wasn't an episode about him being out of touch. It was an episode about the world becoming materially worse. There weren't a bunch of young people in the episode laughing at him for not getting it. He was right the whole time.

This is the most sympathetic Dennis has ever been. It was like watching Falling Down, only instead of a horrible conservative wank fantasy of an angry white man on a shooting spree because McDonald's won't serve breakfast after ten, it was poo poo that literally all of us hate.

loving *nobody* thinks not being able to reach customer service is cool and good. There's nobody on the other side of this issue but CEOs and investors.

I'm talking about the first 'anti-social network' episode which is very much about the gang and dennis in particular 'not getting what the young people are into', not that bars without signs are actually cool and Gin IS indeed disgusting, that episode didn't make a coherent statement about technology, the new one kinda sorta did.

It's not that Glenn is wrong with his "boomer complaints" or whatever it's just... not great for sunny, for reasons I said earlier which are basically that nobody reacted to Dennis, it doesn't matter that the meta-story is that he's in his head, Dennis is fun when the environment reacts to him.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Gin is wonderful and so is vodka. Repent, peasant

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Gin?! I HATE GIN! Get me a beer! Get me a beer!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't find it to be a funny episode but I resonated with all the things being poo poo

It would have been better with a double twist where Dennis did have the billionaires heart in a cooler in the range Rover

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

FireWorksWell posted:

Gin?! I HATE GIN! Get me a beer! Get me a beer!

Shhhhhhhhh!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

moist turtleneck posted:

I didn't find it to be a funny episode but I resonated with all the things being poo poo

It would have been better with a double twist where Dennis did have the billionaires heart in a cooler in the range Rover

Nah, having Dennis be an actual literal murderer would ruin the comedy. The point is that he's a regular person who's perpetually one step away from that.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm talking about the first 'anti-social network' episode which is very much about the gang and dennis in particular 'not getting what the young people are into', not that bars without signs are actually cool and Gin IS indeed disgusting, that episode didn't make a coherent statement about technology, the new one kinda sorta did.

It's not that Glenn is wrong with his "boomer complaints" or whatever it's just... not great for sunny, for reasons I said earlier which are basically that nobody reacted to Dennis, it doesn't matter that the meta-story is that he's in his head, Dennis is fun when the environment reacts to him.

It feels like this was a first draft script and they didn't want to do a rewrite. Like they got to the end and realized they couldn't really have Dennis show up at Tesla headquarters and eat a CEO's heart so they just made it a dream sequence, added a Usual Suspects reference, and called it a day.

The whole thing is kinda dumb. Dennis has high blood pressure so he daydreams about putting on an Apple watch and getting increasingly frustrated over a day and then calming himself by eating the heart of the guy who made the car that annoyed him? What? Dennis is crazy so who's to say how his mind works, but we already went into Dennis' crazy mind in the convenience store episode and that was a lot funnier and deranged and was a fraction of the length. Just lazy.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

I laughed at the adsurdity of the ending with questioning the lore implications.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

1glitch0 posted:

It feels like this was a first draft script and they didn't want to do a rewrite. Like they got to the end and realized they couldn't really have Dennis show up at Tesla headquarters and eat a CEO's heart so they just made it a dream sequence, added a Usual Suspects reference, and called it a day.

The whole thing is kinda dumb. Dennis has high blood pressure so he daydreams about putting on an Apple watch and getting increasingly frustrated over a day and then calming himself by eating the heart of the guy who made the car that annoyed him? What? Dennis is crazy so who's to say how his mind works, but we already went into Dennis' crazy mind in the convenience store episode and that was a lot funnier and deranged and was a fraction of the length. Just lazy.

Mind over matter. For instance, if you can't pee, just imagine a dog peeing!

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

If I go to a restaurant and they tell me I need to scan a QR code for the menu, I will ask for a physical menu. If they tell me a physical menu does not exist, I will find a different restaurant. I am certainly with Dennis here.

Most of the time it's a website though, not an app. Those aren't too bad. Plus you don't have to touch a gross menu that other gross people have also touched.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm talking about the first 'anti-social network' episode
Oh, gently caress. I missed that. I'm sorry.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I am a step removed from that. Scanning a QR code is fine. But downloading a separate app, or signing up a new account seems excessive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, if you want to dissect all the things he was complaining about:

Being stuck on hold for customer service is, like, a 50 year old joke at this point.
There has never been a boba place that forces you to have the tapioca pearls, unless it's premade for a catered event or something.
Credit card minimums and no cash restaurants have been a thing for decades.
The car app thing is basically real I guess. Though the "you know how to take the reservation, you just don't know how to keep the reservation" is literally a Seinfeld joke.

I think that's why I would describe it as Boomer humor. Half of it is complaints that have already been done to death, and the other half is exaggerated straw men to make it seem worse than it is.