Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Minotaurus Rex posted:

And what to get in terms a keyboard + mouse? I saw an iClever foldable keyboard/mouse thing that looked pretty neat. Thanks goons!

Going to +1 this question - I've been thinking about getting a K400 Plus for using the Steam Deck as a living room TV, but not sure if there's better options out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There's a million diferent directions you can go with keyboard. I got a little 65% wireless mechanical and it's been perfect for whenever I need to tinker with commands or settings (and general typing/gaming).

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I would never buy a controller without hall effect sticks ever again

Do they feel the same as the normal sticks?

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Ayo my good goons, I’m looking to get some of those sweet sweet accessories, what would you go - for a PS5 controller? 8bitdo ultimate? Or something else? And what to get in terms a keyboard + mouse? I saw an iClever foldable keyboard/mouse thing that looked pretty neat. Thanks goons!

Third party controllers offer way more for a cheaper price now but from what I’ve seen and tested myself they can be pretty unreliable because of poor QA control. First party controllers aren’t great either because they all use cheap lovely parts that break pretty fast if you actually play games but overall they will offer a more “stable” experience. I use a dual sense edge on the steam deck. I’m not a fan of the sticks at the bottom but the controller is comfortable enough for me and has essentially all the important features that the deck controls have. I wouldn’t recommend it for its price though, a normal ps5 controller would be enough if you don’t care about the back buttons.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Kefa posted:

Do they feel the same as the normal sticks?

They're indistinguishable.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Stick drift is awful.

I love my 8bitdo Ultimate despite it not having a touchpad

fwiw I'm about to return my 8bitdo ultimate cause it doesn't work well on multiple things on my deck at all

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I still think regular ol' Xbox controllers are best in class. Love a controller where I can swap the batteries and not keep a cord on my desk/coffee table to charge it (using reusable AAs of course). No problems with the battery health degrading over time like Dual Shocks, 100% game compatibility, and I even use a USB receiver for the controller since it's more reliable than Bluetooth. Don't know why you'd use anything else unless it had more durability, which as far as I can tell zero controllers do (and it seems like regular Xbox controllers have a slight edge on reliability than PS/8bitdo).

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Steam. Controller. 2.

:colbert:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You’d use something else because it had the analogue sticks in the right place (symmetrical)

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

getting a car with two steering wheels because asymmetry causes me to start shrieking and rending my garments

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Macichne Leainig posted:

Steam. Controller. 2.

I'd pay a fat stack for them to release one with identical functionality to the built in deck controls. no question

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

fwiw I'm about to return my 8bitdo ultimate cause it doesn't work well on multiple things on my deck at all

Whats your problem with it specifically?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Whats your problem with it specifically?

The back paddles don't seem to work at all (it shows up varyingly as a Switch Pro or regular Dinput controller depending on whether you use 2.4ghz or BT), which is one of the main reasons I wanted to use it. Also in a couple apps (primarily emulationstation), the buttons don't behave or get mapped properly. I've updated the firmware, doesn't seem to help.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I wish I liked it cause it has a good feel and the dock is nice, but it's just not working out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tatsuta Age posted:

I'd pay a fat stack for them to release one with identical functionality to the built in deck controls. no question

For real though. If they could deliver that with the exact same feel/vibe as the Deck I’d be very happy

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

The back paddles don't seem to work at all (it shows up varyingly as a Switch Pro or regular Dinput controller depending on whether you use 2.4ghz or BT), which is one of the main reasons I wanted to use it. Also in a couple apps (primarily emulationstation), the buttons don't behave or get mapped properly. I've updated the firmware, doesn't seem to help.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I wish I liked it cause it has a good feel and the dock is nice, but it's just not working out.

You do need to bind back paddles to face buttons/sticks with the PC software,you cannot map them directly

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Xbox controllers have been where I have landed repeatedly for controllers. I want hall effect sticks but there's always something weird about the 3rd party ones I don't like and I end up coming back. Removable batteries, the buttons and sticks are in the right places and they display correctly in most games.

Maybe it's Stockholm syndrome since I've replaced pots on controllers several times...

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

All batteries are removable

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

You do need to bind back paddles to face buttons/sticks with the PC software,you cannot map them directly

If you install the 8bitdo app on your phone you can change your mappings without needing to use a PC or anything. You dont need to mess with your pairings either. It works really well and just finds the controller nearby over bluetooth even while its connected to something else.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Magic Shortbus posted:

If you install the 8bitdo app on your phone you can change your mappings without needing to use a PC or anything. You dont need to mess with your pairings either. It works really well and just finds the controller nearby over bluetooth even while its connected to something else.

Oh,I didn't know there's an app, thanks

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
So when you say Xbox controllers are we talking Xbone controllers or what? Haven’t dabbled in that ecosystem for some time

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I haven't been paying much attention to emulation on the deck. I'm looking for a system that puts all of the classic 8 and 16 systems and games in the same general spot, and makes the interface as close as possible to the NES/SNES Classics. Bonus points if I can use retro achievements.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's just Emulation Station, Emudeck installs it by default. There are skins for it that rip off the NES and SNES classic UI but the default one is similar in spirit. You just have to spend a lot of time ripping boxart for all your games.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I haven't been paying much attention to emulation on the deck. I'm looking for a system that puts all of the classic 8 and 16 systems and games in the same general spot, and makes the interface as close as possible to the NES/SNES Classics. Bonus points if I can use retro achievements.

Install EmuDeck and use Emulation Station. I’m pretty sure there’s an NES Classic theme available for it.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Beastie posted:

Post em because I'm not happy with mine.

I installed 8-bit Cerberus's layout and then remapped my left controller to Walk Left (Left Arrow Key) and Walk Right (Right Arrow Key). I remapped crouch in the actual game to S and then remapped it to the left controller toggle in the control bindings.

System Shock 2 was released before WASD and mouse became standard controls, so you are going to need to fiddle around a bit. It's worth it though because System Shock 2 is one of the best games ever made.

Bonus tip; You can also play Doom 3:BFG Edition, which includes Doom and Doom 2 by simply changing the control scheme to "Gamepad With Joystick Trackpad", which works very well.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

homeless snail posted:

That's just Emulation Station, Emudeck installs it by default. There are skins for it that rip off the NES and SNES classic UI but the default one is similar in spirit. You just have to spend a lot of time ripping boxart for all your games.

Isn't there a boxart scraper for Emulation Station?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

sigher posted:

Isn't there a boxart scraper for Emulation Station?

Back in my day, we toiled in the online mines, scraping boxart for days on end. I still have muscle memory and finger calluses from editing filenames to remove [U] and [J]. :corsair: :bahgawd:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Stick drift is awful.

I love my 8bitdo Ultimate despite it not having a touchpad

Not to do a "works on my machine" but I've been gaming since like 1992 and have never once experienced stick drift on any controller. Knock on wood. The worst I've ever had was an N64 controller's stick getting a bit crunchy, but otherwise working normally. Then again, I've also never had any hardware fail on me, ever. Never had a bad hard drive, gpu, anything. So maybe I'm an anomaly.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Not to do a "works on my machine" but I've been gaming since like 1992 and have never once experienced stick drift on any controller. Knock on wood. The worst I've ever had was an N64 controller's stick getting a bit crunchy, but otherwise working normally. Then again, I've also never had any hardware fail on me, ever. Never had a bad hard drive, gpu, anything. So maybe I'm an anomaly.

It's this, but further to this, at least for me, it wasn't until owning and using joycons that I knew about stick drift in the first place. And I've been gaming since the same time, maybe even a few years more, I don't know.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

My first set of joy cons were returned and fixed. I've had 2-3 Xbox 360 and xb1 controllers start to drift. I replaced them with cheap lovely pots (they are not all created equal) and it happened again after a couple months.

I repaired all of my N64 controller sticks a year ago and they're 90% like new. All of them were pretty bad before.

I hope the next generation of consoles will go with hall effect sticks across the board. Hopefully Nintendo will learn at least.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Not to rub salt in the wound, but I've got launch version Switch with the original joycons which I've been using ever since I got it and they are fine. I've probably got a 2+ saving throw for tech or something.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dramicus posted:

Same, the only stick I've ever had drift was a 15 year old Xbox 360 controller, and by then that pad had way more issues than just the sticks. My launch model joycons are both still fine. Often what people see as drift, especially if it's super early in the stick's life, is just bad factory calibration and can be fixed in software. Not to say the current design for most analog sticks is great, but I don't subscribe to the theory that hall effect sticks are inherently better over the natural lifespan of a device.

Suburban Dad posted:

I hope the next generation of consoles will go with hall effect sticks across the board. Hopefully Nintendo will learn at least.

Yeah not gonna happen. Unless things change so it's not basically one company squatting the patent on them because it's the core of their business now.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 22, 2023

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

Yeah not gonna happen. Unless things change so it's not basically one company squatting the patent on them because it's the core of their business now.

Have any companies investigated optical sticks recently? I remember them being a thing back in the thrustmaster days. If they work like other optical switches, they should be pretty resistant to drift too.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I've been using the same xbox elite 1 controller for "since I bought it" and would kill someone for hall effects that I could swap in

I was strongly considering getting the hall steam deck modules and desoldering them to put them in but my most recent replacements haven't started drifting yet so I'm not that desperate to experiment wildly

i am begging you gulikit just sell me the module

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I find it hard to believe that anyone has ever owned an n64 controller for more than two years without the stick turning to dust.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I've been using the same xbox elite 1 controller for "since I bought it" and would kill someone for hall effects that I could swap in

I was strongly considering getting the hall steam deck modules and desoldering them to put them in but my most recent replacements haven't started drifting yet so I'm not that desperate to experiment wildly

i am begging you gulikit just sell me the module
I think Gulikit does sell a no-solder version of their hall effect analog stick replacements now, people were talking about them ITT a while back.

RandolphCarter posted:

I find it hard to believe that anyone has ever owned an n64 controller for more than two years without the stick turning to dust.
My brothers did. Helps that we never owned any Mario Party games.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Commander Keene posted:

I think Gulikit does sell a no-solder version of their hall effect analog stick replacements now, people were talking about them ITT a while back.

The problem is they only sell no-solder versions-- they sell prebuilt modules for the steam deck and the joyconns that just need a screwdriver to swap out, but as far as I've found they don't sell just the joystick that can be soldered into anything made in the last 10 years that's been using the same lovely drift-prone joystick module.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

njsykora posted:

Those patents should've expired by now? The Dreamcast controller had a hall effect stick and that was 24 years ago.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The problem is they only sell no-solder versions-- they sell prebuilt modules for the steam deck and the joyconns that just need a screwdriver to swap out, but as far as I've found they don't sell just the joystick that can be soldered into anything made in the last 10 years that's been using the same lovely drift-prone joystick module.
Oh, I misread your post, I thought you were talking about having to solder the replacement sticks into the Deck itself. When the Deck first came out Gulikit sold hall-effect sticks where there was one solder point to the Deck's MB needed for the capacitive sticks to work IIRC, which is what I thought you were talking about.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

RandolphCarter posted:

Yeah but the N64 stick can go really floppy before it starts drifting because of how it's made. Stick drift was not the main problem there.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

njsykora posted:

Yeah but the N64 stick can go really floppy before it starts drifting because of how it's made. Stick drift was not the main problem there.

Correct, but "stick drift" has entered popular nomenclature as "any situation where a joystick doesn't respect your desired inputs regardless of cause" in the same way that "bricking" got redefined to "it doesn't turn on" so I look forward to seeing zoomer retro gamers talking about N64's "stick drift" at the next GDQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Macichne Leainig posted:

Steam. Controller. 2.

I want to believe