Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I'm replaying Blasphemous before the sequel comes out and although it's fun, it's just structured unbelievably poorly. I usually try to do all optional content before the game ends and I was looking up whether or not I could spare/ execute a boss when it called them a 'late game boss.' This was very surprising as I had only found 1/4 of the exploration relics and 4 or 5 out of 17 prayers (spells.)

There was no indication ingame of where the other abilities were and I had to use a walkthrough to get some idea of where to go. There's just so many prayers that are only possible to get at the end of the game, I'd bet that most of them have hardly ever been used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Koburn posted:

I'm replaying Blasphemous before the sequel comes out and although it's fun, it's just structured unbelievably poorly. I usually try to do all optional content before the game ends and I was looking up whether or not I could spare/ execute a boss when it called them a 'late game boss.' This was very surprising as I had only found 1/4 of the exploration relics and 4 or 5 out of 17 prayers (spells.)

There was no indication ingame of where the other abilities were and I had to use a walkthrough to get some idea of where to go. There's just so many prayers that are only possible to get at the end of the game, I'd bet that most of them have hardly ever been used.

I missed the secret ending because I didn’t use a walkthrough until a bit too late. Worse is you can still do everything else and not realize it’s too late.

The game is a lot of fun to play but I fully agree with you that it hides content behind cryptic nonsense like Castlevania 2.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The game is a lot of fun to play but I fully agree with you that it hides content behind cryptic nonsense like Castlevania 2.
But Blasphemous was in your S-tier list!

Seriously though, when would you folks recommend looking at a walkthrough for Blasphemous (or otherwise)? I was hoping to play it blind, but I would prefer to do a substantially-complete (if not 100%) first playthrough and don't mind being spoiled once I reach a point of no return.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

But Blasphemous was in your S-tier list!

Seriously though, when would you folks recommend looking at a walkthrough for Blasphemous (or otherwise)? I was hoping to play it blind, but I would prefer to do a substantially-complete (if not 100%) first playthrough and don't mind being spoiled once I reach a point of no return.

It’s important to recognize and call out flaws in what you enjoy.

I’m just going to say look up the requirements for the endings basically at the start and note the boss you shouldn’t fight until the requirements met.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 22, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can just do whatever, beat the game then go and do what you need to do for the true ending if you don't wanna look stuff up from the start. It's way less of a chore now than at launch.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Wait until you get to the mario galaxy area. The game is just full of fun areas.

I didn't quote this post until I already found it, that was literally the next thing I did because I found more floating platforms along the coastline lol

Well, I got a couple lances for a grave first, but then I got to this area and went :aaaaa:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

bawk posted:

I'm getting really over the inconsistent healing in AN, though. Same thing existing in Hollow Knight was also a pain in the rear end. If you're going to make your game difficult, I'm cool with that, but if your healing options are "you can only heal with these extremely limited health potions or fill up this meter by hitting enemies" then you can gently caress right off. Afterimage did this better, because you could go stock up on an infinite number of health potions, but you were limited on how many kinds/how many individual potions you could take with you, as well as the regular guaranteed heals after a checkpoint. That game took it to an extreme where you could have 13 free heals + four d-pad directions to fill with different types of health potions, but AN and HK have the seesaw balanced on the completely other end. Aeterna Noctis copied HK's heal wholesale, warts and all, and it's absolutely one of the worst mechanics from HK in hindsight. If I want to go into a boss fight (this Beholder in the Dream Palace is kicking my rear end) then give me my loving heals. I shouldn't have to go on a smoke break to let my heal meter recharge before attempting a boss again.

I am consistently one hit away from killing it, and dying on the very last phase, because the last bouncy ball section goes on for an eternity and the patterns they bounce around in are brutal to the point of being unfair. I've tried moving around, sticking to every corner, using the invincibility shield the game gives you, this boss is just Chip Damage: The Fight and eight health pips doesn't seem like enough!

e:i just lost a perfect run because I went hitless into the last phase, got juggled by the bouncy balls, made it out the other side with a couple health pips left, and this motherfucker insta-teleports away and restarts the damage phase.

On second thought, if you're going to make a bonus boss this bullshit, put a loving checkpoint next to it. :argh:

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The Beholder boss fight is the worst boss fight in the game. I just stocked up on heart pieces and auto fill blood gem and just brute forced my way to completing it.

Luckily no boss fight (save for a stationary mechanical style boss) reaches that level of frustration.

Did you figure out the Beholder's Trick(tm)? You're still in the illusion palace, if you plant a few arrows around just before his vulnerable phase then the phantoms won't appear and you won't waste your chance to smack him. He can only take three or four actual hits iirc.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

SkeletonHero posted:

Did you figure out the Beholder's Trick(tm)? You're still in the illusion palace, if you plant a few arrows around just before his vulnerable phase then the phantoms won't appear and you won't waste your chance to smack him. He can only take three or four actual hits iirc.

He also is the only one that doesn't wiggle when he appears. And you don't have to actually smack him, you can just use a light arrow instead of a crystal arrow to hurt him. :eng101:

I was kinda digging the galaxy theme for this area but I'm completely over how movement works vs. firing arrows trying to do this puzzle in the Light planet. Really cool idea, absolutely dogshit execution. Feels like I'm trying to play two different video games at the same time trying to aim/time these crystal arrow shots while jumping around this curve

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

That’s a shame but I do agree partially in that the arrows don’t move in that area the way you’d expect the too.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Well, I'm beginning to suspect that's not entirely the game's fault. Considering I've finished fire, ice, light, and just went to do the darkness area. I don't have whatever ability/item I need to traverse the darkness lmao

Guess I'll come back later!

e: but not before grabbing a chaos emerald! yoink!

bawk fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 23, 2023

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The DLCs for Blasphemous and the associated extra bosses/story/alternate routing can't even be done in a first cycle anyway. If I was going into it fresh for now I probably wouldn't even worry about what ending I got the first time, then for NG+ just look up the DLC3/true ending requirement or ask in here at that point.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The real problem with Blasphemous is that you can’t get a Speed Booster ability and run head first into people like a unicorn to impale them on your pointy hat.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I like Blasphemous but something about it just makes me want to play other things. Hope the sequel is good though!

Has anyone played a Robot Named Fight? I tried a couple of runs last night and it didn't grab me. The aiming system and placement of enemies seem to be designed to completely work against one another. Does it get better after you unlock a few more permanent systems?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Spermanent Record posted:

I like Blasphemous but something about it just makes me want to play other things. Hope the sequel is good though!

Has anyone played a Robot Named Fight? I tried a couple of runs last night and it didn't grab me. The aiming system and placement of enemies seem to be designed to completely work against one another. Does it get better after you unlock a few more permanent systems?

Yeah I'm a big fan of A Robot Named Fight. It's a straight up Super Metroid love letter, my only real complaints about it are some of the shops/shrines kind of expect you to pop a wiki open to get an optimal reward from them. The rest of the game is real fun, especially the final boss.

Some of the runs feel pretty different based on what weapon upgrades or subweapons are seeded for the run, and one or two of the upgrades make you insanely durable. Enemy placement doesn't really change though

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Wait, isn't A Robot Named Fight procedurally generated? I've been avoiding it for that reason, is that not actually true?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

guppy posted:

Wait, isn't A Robot Named Fight procedurally generated? I've been avoiding it for that reason, is that not actually true?

It very much is procedurally generated but it is down surprisingly well. Each run feels like a bite sized metroid (about an hour or so). I recommend checking it out if your are ok with rogue-likes.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I missed the secret ending because I didn’t use a walkthrough until a bit too late. Worse is you can still do everything else and not realize it’s too late.

It is hilarious to me that people rate the game highly and yet one of literally the most important design aspects of a Metroidvania... it falls flat on.

This is bad design at the core, being an apologist for it undermines all of the games where this is done well. It's literally part of the core gameplay loop of a Metroidvania style game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd say the inability to get the best ending without a guide is a core part of the genre :v:

At least you can just reload your save and do what you need, Minoria was extremely annoying because once you got one ending that was it, the only way to get the others was to start all over again.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd say the inability to get the best ending without a guide is a core part of the genre :v:

At least you can just reload your save and do what you need, Minoria was extremely annoying because once you got one ending that was it, the only way to get the others was to start all over again.

The fact that most of the abilities aren't used or just thrown in at the end without any rhyme or reason to how and when you get them.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sakurazuka posted:

This reminds me, I've been meaning to try Minoria again. The last time I played that game, I kinda struggled, though. Any advice?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fuzz posted:

The fact that most of the abilities aren't used or just thrown in at the end without any rhyme or reason to how and when you get them.

Ah well

That's because Blasphemous isn't a metroidvania

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

King of Solomon posted:

This reminds me, I've been meaning to try Minoria again. The last time I played that game, I kinda struggled, though. Any advice?

No sorry I played it when it first came out and have no memory of anything other than the ending bit

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Ah well

That's because Blasphemous isn't a metroidvania

A hot dog is a metroidvania

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sakurazuka posted:

No sorry I played it when it first came out and have no memory of anything other than the ending bit

Welp. Thanks anyway, I'll probably figure it out.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

It is hilarious to me that people rate the game highly and yet one of literally the most important design aspects of a Metroidvania... it falls flat on.

This is bad design at the core, being an apologist for it undermines all of the games where this is done well. It's literally part of the core gameplay loop of a Metroidvania style game.

I rate the game very highly because it's a good and fun game, even if you might disagree with how it uses some of the genre tropes

Yes, some of the exploration unlocks aren't even strictly necessary to complete the game or see the endings. They instead make certain items easier or possible to get and there are abilities hidden behind using them properly. You can either backtrack and explore when you find them, or use them in a NG+ cycle.

Complaining that the “survive falls into pits” unlock isn't progression mandatory is like complaining that Axiom Verge 2 has a bunch of secrets hidden behind the power that lets you exit the Breach anywhere; you can look at the map, see spots where it might be used, and often be rewarded for such.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I revisited Iconoclasts recently and man, that game still holds up for me. During individual beats, the writing can be a little clunky, but the earnestness of it all greatly outweighs that for me. Just a cool game.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Even on a casual playthrough, you don't need the Spazer Beam, Plasma Beam or the Springball in Super Metroid. They're all hidden off the beaten path (at least a little), and there are no obstacles that absolutely require them to beat the game.

The idea of "some of the big upgrades are optional even on a first time playthrough" is nothing new to the genre.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

Even on a casual playthrough, you don't need the Spazer Beam, Plasma Beam or the Springball in Super Metroid. They're all hidden off the beaten path (at least a little), and there are no obstacles that absolutely require them to beat the game.

The idea of "some of the big upgrades are optional even on a first time playthrough" is nothing new to the genre.

It's actually one of the best parts of the genre if you ask me. Having a side area I don't need to go to in order to beat the game, that's hidden out of the way and a little obscure, that gives me a weapon/item that makes getting around the world easier? Sign me the gently caress up. It's why one of my favorite parts of noted Non-Metroidvania game Dark Souls was Ash Lake, because you have to get through two fake walls to discover a vertical area that goes straight down, even lower than the lowest point of the world you can normally find. And you do get some good poo poo down there, so it's worth the time spent exploring (as long as you have the lordvessel to get out)

I'm a little biased because if the "secret ending" of Blasphemous is the one where you have to talk to a certain NPC before moving on to the second half of the game, then I did that on my first playthrough. I'm also the kind of player that will smash my face against almost every wall in case one of them is illusory :v:

I say almost every wall because I need a nudge in the right direction in Aeterna Noctis, I'm going insane. I have collected shards from the Forge, Tower of Light, Light Crystal, and Western Wall. I've beaten the Dream Palace, and only have 1/4 of Cosmos left. I've beaten every boss I've been able to find so far except for Skelly Boy Round 2 in the Catacombs. I've discovered the railway station and made it to where I assume the last Shard is at, and have Keycard C, but can't go any further in. I think I've touched every corner of the world so far just exploring, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get further into the undersea mothership. Do I need to approach this place from a different angle besides the railway station? The final room has a gate that should slide if a switch is hit with another keycard behind it, but there's no nearby switch and nothing I can interact with, unless I'm missing something (please tell me if there's an obvious switch I'm walking past)

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

bawk posted:

I'm a little biased because if the "secret ending" of Blasphemous is the one where you have to talk to a certain NPC before moving on to the second half of the game, then I did that on my first playthrough. I'm also the kind of player that will smash my face against almost every wall in case one of them is illusory :v:

From what I remember, you literally cannot access the biggest secrets in Blasphemous on your first playthrough. NG+ is required for a good amount of content/unlocks.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
IIRC that area in Aeterna Noctis has a magnetic switch that changes platforms from red/blue horizontal/vertical for the whole level. You've probably already pressed it, and it needs pressing to its original state.

Though that might just be for a collectible.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

guppy posted:

It's procedurally generated but the abilities you get fit into different categories, allowing the game to mix em up - for example, the game always gates the final boss behind the requirement of being able to fly, essentially. So the last required upgrade you'll get is one that either lets you jump forever, or one that turns you into a drone, or one that gives you a jetpack, or just shoot straight up in a line, etc.

Same with, like, an ability that lets you blow up walls.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Fatty posted:

IIRC that area in Aeterna Noctis has a magnetic switch that changes platforms from red/blue horizontal/vertical for the whole level. You've probably already pressed it, and it needs pressing to its original state.

Nah you need to do it to progress as well. Also go back to areas you visited before etc etc

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

From what I remember, you literally cannot access the biggest secrets in Blasphemous on your first playthrough. NG+ is required for a good amount of content/unlocks.

Looks like there's Ending A (good ending) Ending B (bad ending/regular ending) and Ending C (DLC stuff) and I was doing DLC stuff

Fatty posted:

I just did the whole run-through of the area and I vaguely know what you're talking about, there's a section that has two yellow switches right on top of each other. One on top has two blue doors on either side of it, and the one below it has two blue platforms on either side of it, but I tried hitting them with Light and Crystal arrows (and also just the sword) and nothing happens.

I can see there's four slots next to the arrow symbol on the collection screen, I've got yellow and blue lit up. Am I missing an arrow type someplace that this puzzle requires?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Morpheus posted:

It's procedurally generated but the abilities you get fit into different categories, allowing the game to mix em up - for example, the game always gates the final boss behind the requirement of being able to fly, essentially. So the last required upgrade you'll get is one that either lets you jump forever, or one that turns you into a drone, or one that gives you a jetpack, or just shoot straight up in a line, etc.

Same with, like, an ability that lets you blow up walls.

It is, of course, fine if people like that stuff, but for me, proc gen destroys a huge component of what I like about Metroidvanias. I like my worlds to be carefully designed and manicured to give a good experience. Proc gen stuff is missing that human spark to me. Plus, if I get stuck, nobody can really help me, because we'll all have different maps.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

bawk posted:

I just did the whole run-through of the area and I vaguely know what you're talking about, there's a section that has two yellow switches right on top of each other. One on top has two blue doors on either side of it, and the one below it has two blue platforms on either side of it, but I tried hitting them with Light and Crystal arrows (and also just the sword) and nothing happens.

I can see there's four slots next to the arrow symbol on the collection screen, I've got yellow and blue lit up. Am I missing an arrow type someplace that this puzzle requires?

Looking at a map, try magnetic control on deck C.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

guppy posted:

It is, of course, fine if people like that stuff, but for me, proc gen destroys a huge component of what I like about Metroidvanias. I like my worlds to be carefully designed and manicured to give a good experience. Proc gen stuff is missing that human spark to me. Plus, if I get stuck, nobody can really help me, because we'll all have different maps.

Totally understand. I do like the game, but it is divorced from the stuff I usually enjoy about the genre. Its tight play time and precise gameplay keep me coming back, but it definitely doesn't have the sway over me that some of the better installments of the genre do.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Fatty posted:

Looking at a map, try magnetic control on deck C.

I think that's my problem, I got to Deck D from the railway station and don't have any other floors to explore. There's a teleport looking thing next to the Deck D sign, but I can't interact with it.

e: I'm gonna go triple check that because I'm gonna feel real dumb if I've just missed the interact prompt, some of those are very finicky in my experience

E2: YUP! I apparently have never stood directly on it, just ran past it or stood next to it.

bawk fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 23, 2023

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Oh sorry, thought you were much further into the level for some reason.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Just finished Grime thanks to it being free on EGS, it was much better than I expected. I had absolutely no idea what was going on plot-wise apart from being a black hole person, and once I found the Curved Glaive (which scales off your Stamina stat and attacks faster the more you hit with it, eventually doing 500+ damage per hit deep into the combo) the rest of the weapons were pointless, but the platforming, boss fights and music were all great. The NG+ changes were very cool as well, all the enemies, including the bosses, get new attacks and there's an NG+ only boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

yes to both but even turning it off...meh. Controls just are poor. Especially when compared too...

I just beat it. What a joy to play. Bravo to the devs. The took everything Team Cherry attempted to do and actually delivered in all areas (except the art in my opinion. Felt very flat). The controls were tight and perfectly suited the platforming. The upgrades felt meaningful and not like the game was simply removing painful design choices. Even the "unlock the map" idea was done decently as you could still actually see the drat map even though you need to "unlock" it by finding the npc.

The game is loving huge. Almost each area is the size of the first Metroid. The devs were also smart and included multiple check points + key teleport locations to make traversal a breeze. In addition, there are lots of shortcuts you unlock.

Highly recommended.

A few negatives:

- The story is cheesy and forgettable. The characters talk way too much to say basically nothing or something that could have been stated in two sentences.

- The game suffers a bit from "snake" level design. This is where a single screen makes you walk all the way to the right, then up one unit, then back all the way to the left, then up one unit, the back all the way to the right, repeating for a while. Every single new area has at least two of these "snake" areas.

- Hard to see. Numerous times the particle effects and the foreground elements block your view and you get hit without knowing why.

- Bosses are easy but hard to tell you are beating them. There's essentially no indication you are beating the boss until the boss flat out says "you win". This happened with every boss I fought.

I'm playing Noctis now and so far it's literally a hollow knight reskin so uh yeah, not sure what's up. Good luck.