Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Blackchamber posted:

Do humans eat sloths?

I’d have to Google to find out if there are any people eating sloths. But even if we don’t, most animals don’t know that. (Anthony Bourdain taught me that there are still plenty of communities eating gross things nobody should eat.)

Although Zeriel is probably right and my interpretation of the sloth’s perspective is wrong. Photographer startled the sloth while it was taking its biweekly crap and it was all,”Could you not?”

Edit: Yes. There are a few South American tribes that eat sloth, though it’s not a staple food.

Bored has a new favorite as of 09:56 on Jul 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I guess they prefer fast food.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXlt9lqz5m0 Orphaned baby seal likes to hop onto surfer's boards and hang out with them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if sloths see us as very fast sloths.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

We eat things called pink slime for gods sakes. Never trust gastronomy to keep you safe
Well yeah, I find that metal slimes are a little too crunchy personally

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Kennel posted:

I guess they prefer fast food.

:sbahj:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/T1I6krt.mp4

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Watching the world go by.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

:kimchi:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Malachite_Dragon posted:

A brief history of the human race: "What the hell is that?!
... Let's eat it."
Kind of an old joke, but imagine how hungry the guy was that first ate a lobster or crab. Rewarded in their desperation by deliciousness.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

SubponticatePoster posted:

Kind of an old joke, but imagine how hungry the guy was that first ate a lobster or crab. Rewarded in their desperation by deliciousness.

Lobster was considered gross for a decent chunk of human history and used to be fed to prisoners because it was cheap and easy.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

I think that's because the US prisons just stuck the entire thing in a blender

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lobster goes bad fast and was not considered useful back when we couldn’t ship them anywhere off the coasts without going bad.

Then they started to be able to be shipped but shipping was expensive and so lobster got expensive and “hard to get”, creating a fake scarcity and putting them on a pedestal that wasn’t really there

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Horrible thing is plentiful: "Bah! How gross. Make the poor eat it!"
Horrible thing is now rare: "We must keep this for the rich! gently caress the poor!"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
As long as I don't have to eat the same thing as the poor.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Do we even know what poor people eat? What if I'm accidentally eating poor food!?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Lobster goes bad fast and was not considered useful back when we couldn’t ship them anywhere off the coasts without going bad.

Then they started to be able to be shipped but shipping was expensive and so lobster got expensive and “hard to get”, creating a fake scarcity and putting them on a pedestal that wasn’t really there

It also took a surprisingly long time for people to figure out how to cook Lobster properly

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

drrockso20 posted:

It also took a surprisingly long time for people to figure out how to cook Lobster properly

Most people still haven't figured it out, though its surprisingly simple.

First you pick up the lobster, then you fling it back into the ocean, then you go eat something else.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Lobster is actually pretty good though

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Land bugs: loving gross, dude.
Ocean bugs: drat, this poo poo is tasty!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hippocrass posted:

Horrible thing is plentiful: "Bah! How gross. Make the poor eat it!"
Horrible thing is now rare: "We must keep this for the rich! gently caress the poor!"

I was just speaking to my Mom the other week about how goddamned expensive cow tongue is nowadays. When I was a kid it was one of my favorites because it was delicious and so large that I'd have tongue sandwiches for a week afterwards. I also liked how it would gross out my friends who came by. I later learned that we got it because it was really really cheap.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I was just speaking to my Mom the other week about how goddamned expensive cow tongue is nowadays. When I was a kid it was one of my favorites because it was delicious and so large that I'd have tongue sandwiches for a week afterwards. I also liked how it would gross out my friends who came by. I later learned that we got it because it was really really cheap.

I loving miss tongue.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
from the fanart thread

Got a selection of rare things on sale, stranger.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Bogus Adventure posted:

Land bugs: loving gross, dude.
Ocean bugs: drat, this poo poo is tasty!

That's almost exactly how I feel, and I kinda hate that I can't bring myself to eat land bugs. But what is the closest land animal to a prawn or lobster that might taste the same? I'm assuming that just any insect is not going to taste like crab.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gromit posted:

That's almost exactly how I feel, and I kinda hate that I can't bring myself to eat land bugs. But what is the closest land animal to a prawn or lobster that might taste the same? I'm assuming that just any insect is not going to taste like crab.

Apparently Tarantulas can be pretty close when cooked properly, and yeah the main hindrance for land arthropods is that not many of them approach crab and lobster size or even shrimp size and even fewer of those that do have appreciable amounts of edible meat on them

Huzzah! posted:

from the fanart thread

Knew that one would show up here

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gromit posted:

One would assume a land isopod, so, like, a very big woodlouse.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Huzzah! posted:

from the fanart thread

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

lmao

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Wasn't it one of the Ramona books where she/ her sister got all grossed out because they had tongue for dinner one night?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Tacos lengua are so tender, thanks for reminding me I need to order at least 1 next time I go to an authentic place :swoon:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Wasn't it one of the Ramona books where she/ her sister got all grossed out because they had tongue for dinner one night?

No idea what those books are but it tracks

Man now I want a sliced tongue sandwich on light rye bread

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

“Stop staring at my kits.”

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tongue: the food that tastes you back.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lol at the cute thread being derailed by a discussion of which meats to eat

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A woman flashing her pussy in a trenchcoat on a crowded subway is a change from the usual.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Gromit posted:

Crickets/grasshoppers are pretty widely eaten and are supposed to be pretty good! I read a paper for a class about how the various native people of Utah ate them pretty extensively, and how a "plague" of locusts was a cause for celebration. Of note in the paper was the group of grad students who experimented with various cricket-based recipes and dubbed the Mormon Cricket the "Desert Lobster" for its culinary qualities.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol at the cute thread being derailed by a discussion of which meats to eat

Tongue is the cutest meat.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Hippocrass posted:

I loving miss tongue.

But you have a tongue in your mouth, the great taste of tongue whenever you want.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I bought a packet of toasted crickets at the zoo once, they tasted fine. Kind of like sunflower seeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

We were also too poor to afford real meat and my mom used to puree beef tongue and feed it to me as my first solid food.

I was very grossed out when I discovered this, but these days I'd give it a try (not the pureed version, mind)