Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
christ what a oval office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

It's like when Babylon Zoo said he wanted to be the next Bowie

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
The whole ULEZ thing gives me a sad little LOL, as I've seen it in our local Bromley Facebook group first hand.

An admin asked, what's everyone's biggest concerns for the area, with a sidenote to not mention ULEZ as it's unproductive. I made the mistake of casually saying in my comment something to the effect of, most cars that get done for ULEZ likely won't pass their next MOT anyway, so who actually cares about it?

The amount of teeth gnashing and wailing I got in response, good grief. There were like 50 responses, most of them using my current least favourite word (tyranny), most of them calling Sadiq Khan a Nazi who wants to turn London Sharia, most of them saying it was a breach of their human rights, etc.

loving brainwashed pricks. To be fair, my car passes it so I don't give a poo poo, but if you're driving an old beater around anyway it should come off the road. The ULEZ doesn't go nearly far enough, but these fiends understand that the Overton Window is real and they push back on it with all their energy.

Utterly unhinged and deranged.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Isomermaid posted:

It's like when Babylon Zoo said he wanted to be the next Bowie

Come-on now, at least Babylon Zoo made something of worth

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mourning Due posted:

most cars that get done for ULEZ likely won't pass their next MOT anyway, so who actually cares about it?

We have one of the best public transport systems in the world, these cunts just refuse to use it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sharia is when you have to pay a tiny fraction of the lung damage that you're causing to people

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Scientastic posted:

We have one of the best public transport systems in the world, these cunts just refuse to use it.

I was wondering, not that I've ever been but who's driving around the middle of london? I take the bus into boro center occasionally never mind if I lived somewhere with regular services. I don't imagine there's much in the way of free parking or quiet times in the middle of loving london.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1682844319462432768

Another young Labour candidate

A former teacher you say?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alistair-strathern-699a162b/details/experience/

So what did he do for the rest of the time?

:allears:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Mourning Due posted:

most cars that get done for ULEZ likely won't pass their next MOT anyway, so who actually cares about it?

Nonsense

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1682844319462432768

Another young Labour candidate

A former teacher you say?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alistair-strathern-699a162b/details/experience/

So what did he do for the rest of the time?

:allears:

And now working on climate? Seems to be in finance since leaving teaching.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Working on making the climate worse.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
he keeps big boxes of vintage aerosols containing CFCs under his desk and huffs them periodically

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I honestly am not sure what kind of car would trigger the ULEZ cost.

I drive a 22 year old 2l petrol car. The yearly tax because of the emissions is £300... Yet I've checked and it's not a car for which I would need to pay the ULEZ or clean air zones fee in any part of the country that currently has them.

I'm not actually sure who these zones affect.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

white land rovers

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sadiq Khan won't let me drive my Scimitar light tank that I have converted into a monster truck into central London.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tsietisin posted:

I honestly am not sure what kind of car would trigger the ULEZ cost.

I drive a 22 year old 2l petrol car. The yearly tax because of the emissions is £300... Yet I've checked and it's not a car for which I would need to pay the ULEZ or clean air zones fee in any part of the country that currently has them.

I'm not actually sure who these zones affect.

diesels. The car they told everyone to buy

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Gorn Myson posted:

I think its uncharacteristic of Starmer to support Arsenal. If asked what football team he supports he should reply "I will not be drawn into debates about football teams. The British public know that if I were to pick a side, it would be a good side, it would be a side that works for Great Britain, it would be a side that grows the economy and thats what I promise under the first term of a Labour government."

antisemitic of him to support arsenal, the same club jeremy corbyn supports

DJT518T
Aug 4, 2010
I should do an effort post on the whole ulez/caz thing but as an enthusiast of late 90s or early 2000s fast petrol cars it's a bit of a downer.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

diesels. The car they told everyone to buy

Nobody told me to buy a diesel.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Nobody told me to buy a diesel.

they did you just weren't listening

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

they did you just weren't listening

This is true, probably had my headphones in, the joys of taking the bus

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

This is true, probably had my headphones in, the joys of taking the bus

what fuel does the bus run on?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
taxes

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DJT518T posted:

I should do an effort post on the whole ulez/caz thing but as an enthusiast of late 90s or early 2000s fast petrol cars it's a bit of a downer.

Sounds like you should get a better hobby

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mourning Due posted:

The whole ULEZ thing gives me a sad little LOL, as I've seen it in our local Bromley Facebook group first hand.

An admin asked, what's everyone's biggest concerns for the area, with a sidenote to not mention ULEZ as it's unproductive. I made the mistake of casually saying in my comment something to the effect of, most cars that get done for ULEZ likely won't pass their next MOT anyway, so who actually cares about it?

The amount of teeth gnashing and wailing I got in response, good grief. There were like 50 responses, most of them using my current least favourite word (tyranny), most of them calling Sadiq Khan a Nazi who wants to turn London Sharia, most of them saying it was a breach of their human rights, etc.

loving brainwashed pricks. To be fair, my car passes it so I don't give a poo poo, but if you're driving an old beater around anyway it should come off the road. The ULEZ doesn't go nearly far enough, but these fiends understand that the Overton Window is real and they push back on it with all their energy.

Utterly unhinged and deranged.

Thing is, there's only fifty of the fuckers total but they all have facebook accounts and poster printers. It's one of those things where once it comes in the controversy will go away entirely, so naturally labour want to have public agonies over it for the next year or so.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think Newcastle is bringing in one of those zones, are they going ballistic about it too or is it just London?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

I think Newcastle is bringing in one of those zones, are they going ballistic about it too or is it just London?

The Newcastle one only affects commercial vehicles like taxis & vans, not private cars. I'm sure there's some small taxi driver Facebook group up in arms, but no one else is shouting about it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Dabir posted:

Sounds like you should get a better hobby

this is a poo poo thing to say to someone for no reason

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

what fuel does the bus run on?

Some of them are electric, some of them I'd presume diesel. Even if they were all diesel powered I'm not sure this is much if a gotcha. Yes, one bus with between 10 and 70 people powered by an old diesel engine is better than between 10 and 70 cars with 1 person in it

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Interesting numbers:

https://twitter.com/MMTLabour/status/1682653282638913536?s=20

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Some of them are electric, some of them I'd presume diesel.

theres 40k buses in the uk apparently and were trying to get to 4k electric buses. Which is better than I thought to be honest but still, 90% of buses are diesel. I have no idea if this includes like coaches and school buses and all that poo poo.

forkboy84 posted:

Even if they were all diesel powered I'm not sure this is much if a gotcha. Yes, one bus with between 10 and 70 people powered by an old diesel engine is better than between 10 and 70 cars with 1 person in it

How do you make that determination? What figures are you using?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

I mean it's a by-election and those always have lower turnout.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

As much as I want to poo poo on kid starva those were GEs not by(e?) The Tories ran a single issue that almost didn't work. Come a GE the turn out will be greater and the motivation will be different.

#keithisagit

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i call for a cessation in arguing as wikipedia appears to be down so i cant own any of you

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gonzo McFee posted:

I mean it's a by-election and those always have lower turnout.

Well yes, but nearly 5000 fewer labour voters turned out than in two GEs given the amount of energy the party threw at the seat?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Well yes, but nearly 5000 fewer labour voters turned out than in two GEs given the amount of energy the party threw at the seat?

How much energy did they throw at the seat?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

All kicking off at the National Policy Forum - show downs between Starmer & unions:

Quite a lot on twitter:

Thread:

https://twitter.com/Taj_Ali1/status/1682828236286308352?s=20

I'll quote a few rather than posting tweets:

quote:

(from various tweets)

Union source: "Essentially boycotted dinner. Tables sparse with Starmer in attendance"
General Secretaries are meeting to discuss an "incompetent and duplicitous attempt to bounce trade unions."

I'm told both GMB and Unison, trade unions who have been supportive of the Labour leadership in the past, are furious.

Have the leadership deliberately manufactured a row in response to Tory attacks about them being in the pockets of the unions?

Labour’s Trade Unionists MPs are being deselected. NEC left wing members are being rejected for long lists.
Meanwhile a 25 year old researcher who worked for the CBI is selected as an MP & his first utterance is to support Starmer’s attack on hungry children.
Labour is finished

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Aren't these the numbers that matter?

https://twitter.com/MMTLabour/status/1682811051421716482

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Both sets of numbers tell the story from a different angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How do you make that determination? What figures are you using?

Do you really need a detailed cited mathematical analysis for the radical wild claim of buses being better for emissions per person than cars