Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

1) Yeah that one is most likely not a great balance and a harmonic at that speed as a result.

Yeah, this is what I'm going with, especially after my electric impact gun failed to remove some of the lug nuts and I had to resort to a 2' breaker bar. If they did that poo poo of a job just putting the wheels back on, they probably hosed up the balance too.

quote:

2) Thats an interesting one - Maybe see if a passenger can help get the source as close as possible?

I'll try that. I did drive over bumps with each tire and it was only the front passenger one that made that noise. Wonder if someone managed to drop a washer or something inside the control arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

here's a stupid question: now that I can stream audio via my phone to the audio system of the car, just how much data does that suck up? I've never really used mobile data in any quantity given the amount of wifi hotspots that are around so I really have no idea how much data playing an album might take

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
100mb an hour for napkin math

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

eddiewalker posted:

100mb an hour for napkin math

Thanks, very helpful. So 10 hours per Gig, and with my 11 gig plan, its some tunes (or audiobooks or whatever)

Somewhat related question: does anybody actually plug into the HDMI port to watch something on that tiny screen? P sure my phone has higher resolution but a lot too

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sleepy gary posted:

I have a b5.5 passat that is locked and the battery is dead. The key cylinders are jammed up so I can't unlock the thing manually or with the fob. What's the easiest way for me to get into the car?

Got a coat hangar or a brick?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Got a coat hangar or a brick?

Nooooooo.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

sleepy gary posted:

I have a b5.5 passat that is locked and the battery is dead. The key cylinders are jammed up so I can't unlock the thing manually or with the fob. What's the easiest way for me to get into the car?

i dont know those cars specifically at all, but have you tried all the lock cylinders including the trunk? does the trunk have a passthrough or an always-on 12V outlet?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Do you have AA or similar membership?

Otherwise, a stiff piece of wire like a coat hanger, a screwdriver and a towel. The towel is to stop scratches and protect paint a screwdriver levers the top of the doors so you can work the wire in and then you aim at the locking lever/switch on the inside.

I'd prefer not to say much more because thats kinda car theft 101 and also can be damaging if not done correctly but that's the gist.

I havent tried this one but a car battery with negative grounded to the car and the positive on something like the main starter cable. That may energise the car's electricals enough to open it - I have heard it working but I don't know if it will work on your car and it may be a really dumb idea that I wouldnt do unless someone else says yea or nay.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Do you have AA or similar membership?

I had a rental Versa for ~two weeks while FiST of the North Star was getting bodywork done, which I once locked myself out of at ~midnight, while it was still running no less

AAA had a locksmith over in like 15 minutes, who got me in in under 5. It was truly something to behold, watching a master tradesman at their craft, but I wouldn’t ever want it done to my car.

Dude explained (and demonstrated) that on modern cars he basically had to pry the top edge of the door open to slide his tools in, sometimes having to remove or break trim/etc or bending the door itself out of true. “My job is to get you into your car. In some cases that might mean taking it to the body shop when I’m done”

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

DildenAnders posted:

What's the best way to fix a clear coat scratch? Scraped a wooden pole and got a decently sized scrape but it "goes away" when I spray water on it.

I’d go to a body shop. they’ll be able to buff it out such that it looks like new in a matter of minutes. They might not charge you for it, but if they do it’ll probably be on the order of fifty bucks or less. (Ask first of course)

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Is that the one with air powered lock actuators? And the door lock buttons are recessed flush?

There is a way to access the air tubing to run the actuator, but I can’t remember where.

A coat hanger might let you tug the door handle enough to open the door, but you have to do it twice or once to unlock then maybe the outside handle will open it.

A tip for the future is to add a two-prong charger lead to the battery, and extend it out somewhere accessible like below the rad or under the trunk somewhere so you can put juice to it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elder Postsman posted:

Yeah, this is what I'm going with, especially after my electric impact gun failed to remove some of the lug nuts and I had to resort to a 2' breaker bar. If they did that poo poo of a job just putting the wheels back on, they probably hosed up the balance too.

What kind of tires are they? Some of the cheaper tires are notoriously hard to balance, especially the Chinese tires.

I'd find a reputable tire shop in your area that specializes in custom alignments, they are usually focused on getting the balancing right too. Getting an alignment done if you haven't had one in awhile would probably help too. They will find if anything is loose in the front end or if you need anything replaced like tie rod ends or sway bar links and poo poo like that.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Elder Postsman posted:

Wonder if someone managed to drop a washer or something inside the control arm.

I think this might be it lol (sound on)

https://i.imgur.com/GGRJoYX.mp4

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What kind of tires are they? Some of the cheaper tires are notoriously hard to balance, especially the Chinese tires.

I'd find a reputable tire shop in your area that specializes in custom alignments, they are usually focused on getting the balancing right too. Getting an alignment done if you haven't had one in awhile would probably help too. They will find if anything is loose in the front end or if you need anything replaced like tie rod ends or sway bar links and poo poo like that.

They're Falken Ziexs.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sounds like there's change in the control arm lol

Stick a little inspection camera in there and see what it is

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Found it!

https://i.imgur.com/zdrpGrt.mp4

Idk wtf this piece is, looks like someone left a piece of scrap metal in there when putting the control arm together

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Elder Postsman posted:

Found it!

https://i.imgur.com/zdrpGrt.mp4

Idk wtf this piece is, looks like someone left a piece of scrap metal in there when putting the control arm together

I'm in love with this to be honest, I'm sorry!

You can see that it was welded on the top edge in the video - I think it was probably welded inside there at one point but got broken loose but I have no idea where it should be, the only thing it's in the correct axis for is the lower ball joint but that wouldn't really make sense either. Who knows.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

VelociBacon posted:

I'm in love with this to be honest, I'm sorry!

You can see that it was welded on the top edge in the video - I think it was probably welded inside there at one point but got broken loose but I have no idea where it should be, the only thing it's in the correct axis for is the lower ball joint but that wouldn't really make sense either. Who knows.

Oh yeah, you're right, I totally missed that. The weld on that end runs about 2/3 of the width of it. The other end also has a weld spot but just on the corner. Fuckin' weird, man.

It's too big to have fallen in, and I can't think of anywhere something like this would have been actually attached in there. Sticking with the "fell in during assembly" theory.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Elder Postsman posted:

Oh yeah, you're right, I totally missed that. The weld on that end runs about 2/3 of the width of it. The other end also has a weld spot but just on the corner. Fuckin' weird, man.

It's too big to have fallen in, and I can't think of anywhere something like this would have been actually attached in there. Sticking with the "fell in during assembly" theory.

It could also have been something that's used in the automated manufacturing process that you're never really supposed to see. Or hear.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

There, fixed. Thanks for following me on this journey.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I’d go to a body shop. they’ll be able to buff it out such that it looks like new in a matter of minutes. They might not charge you for it, but if they do it’ll probably be on the order of fifty bucks or less. (Ask first of course)

I've posted this many times but it is wild what a good experienced, long-running body shop or body man can do. Art and a science kind of thing. The scratches on my black car were huge and apparent, I lucked out finding a hole in the wall body shop that had been operating for decades in my city but isn't a big insurance operation, few minutes with that guy (plus his father) and a buffer wheel and it passed the 5 foot test easily. He charged me too little and I insisted paying more lol.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 23, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is a stupid question if I ever heard one, but I'll chance it.

Is there a good method to clean the little wind deflector/bug net that pops up when you retract a sunroof?

The previous owner of my GLA45 apparently did donuts through a butterfly sanctuary, judging by the war-crime amount of insect carcasses wedged into that net. To make things more difficult, the net itself looks fairly thin and flimsy so I'm paranoid about even touching this for fear of tearing it. Because, you know, a sunroof on a mercedes is surely famously inexpensive to repair.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Inner Light posted:

I've posted this many times but it is wild what a good experienced, long-running body shop or body man can do. Art and a science kind of thing. The scratches on my black car were huge and apparent, I lucked out finding a hole in the wall body shop that had been operating for decades in my city but isn't a big insurance operation, few minutes with that guy (plus his father) and a buffer wheel and it passed the 5 foot test easily. He charged me too little and I insisted paying more lol.

(good) PDR dudes are also IRL magicians.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Elder Postsman posted:

Ok, so I found a Mazda 5 about a month ago - a 2010 with 95k miles and I've put about 500 miles on it. Just got new tires put on. It's couple issues that are kind of baffling me:

1. At about 65 mph I get a slight shaking in the steering wheel, but not all the time.

Tire balance. If it does it only when you start out: some tires will impart a little shimmy until they warm up.
Bad tie rod end. If you can chamge or stop it by touching the brakes, or jogging the wheel (slightly) back & forth, it's one or both of these.

Elder Postsman posted:

2. When going over bumps, I get a metallic kind of jangling keys rattle out of the front passenger side.

Sway bar end links have left the building. The jangling you're hearing are the washers designed to hold the rubber or urethane insulators, which are, sadly, no more.
[/quote]

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

PainterofCrap posted:

Tire balance. If it does it only when you start out: some tires will impart a little shimmy until they warm up.
Bad tie rod end. If you can chamge or stop it by touching the brakes, or jogging the wheel (slightly) back & forth, it's one or both of these.

Sway bar end links have left the building. The jangling you're hearing are the washers designed to hold the rubber or urethane insulators, which are, sadly, no more.

Scroll up.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So I have a 2010 VW Golf that's been pretty reliable, and I've only driven it sparingly over the pandemic. This last December/January, I put in around $2k for a bunch of things (fuel pump, seat belt sensor, etc.), and figured I'd be good at least another year or two.

This past weekend, I came back from an out of town trip (2 hours each way), where I drove about ~70mph the whole way. That's the longest and farthest I've driven it in some time. Once I got off my exit and came to a light, something felt off when I braked - then it struggled to get up to speed as I gave it gas, and it felt like the car limped the last mile home. The next day, I drove it down the street, and it was fine, and I drove it about 3 miles out and back for an appointment with no trouble. However, it looks like I'll need to make weekly out of town trips for 2+ hour drives. Is this possibly a fuel injection problem? Is it worth risking a long drive? I don't look forward to the likely answers.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

If it’s brakes and gas it’s probably vacuum related

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Dr. Lunchables posted:

If it’s brakes and gas it’s probably vacuum related

I wondered about that, and driving for a long time at a high speed would seem to line up. No check engine light, though.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I have a 2014 Civic sedan. I want brighter headlamps, but I also want to be street-legal. What do you recommend?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.Ă¢Â€Â
I was underneath my old (2006 Mazda 3) car and discovered there is no longer an A/C belt on it. When I first got the car, it had A/C that worked well, and then intermittently, and then not at all. Is it likely the belt snapped and I didn't notice? I'm trying to sell the car, would it make sense to throw a new belt on and see if it works?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I have a 2014 Civic sedan. I want brighter headlamps, but I also want to be street-legal. What do you recommend?

New bulbs and either refinish or replace your headlight housings if they are faded.

Do not jam HID/LED bulbs in halogen housings, you will blind oncoming traffic and do little to improve your own visibility.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DildenAnders posted:

I was underneath my old (2006 Mazda 3) car and discovered there is no longer an A/C belt on it. When I first got the car, it had A/C that worked well, and then intermittently, and then not at all. Is it likely the belt snapped and I didn't notice? I'm trying to sell the car, would it make sense to throw a new belt on and see if it works?

yes, and yes unless it's such a beater that the buyer won't care in a region where A/C isn't vital

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

DildenAnders posted:

Absolutely. That's a big thing to not have working and will cut a decent amount off the price if it's not.

If you're lucky it will fire right up with a new belt.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
hi! so i think i have a bad head gasket on my 318 (68 barracuda). i got 30 psi on the compression check for cylinder 7, 120 on everything else.. so i pulled the intake off today with the plan being to get the heads off. i really dont want to pull the engine, im not set up well for doing that.. it still ran ok, so if i can get away with just a head gasket and head work ill be happy.

right so.. intakes off. theres coolant, but im not suprised. the low psi is on cylinder 7, back right corner there. i cant see anything thats jumping out as obviously bad, other than the coolant. it does look like theres coolant seepage from 7.. hows the rest of this look? am i crazy for not just pulling the whole thing anyway?

once i get the heads off, im taking them to a shop for cleaning and checking. would having the shop port them be a waste of time? if they check out, im leaning on getting the porting done and maybe a mild cam while im in there because i make poor decisions.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What does your oil look like

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008

Hadlock posted:

What does your oil look like

so the last time i drained it, which was the first time ive drained it, there was coolant in it. i drained it and changed the filter, put in fresh oil, and its only run a little bit since then. idling and one short trip to a gas station, really. havent checked it since then but im gonna guess that theres a bit more coolant in it again.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Replacing the resistor module on my kid's 2013 Fiesta and figured I'd do the cabin air filter at the same time. I want to send a large :fuckoff: to whoever designed the filter housing and how to get to/replace the filter.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Replacing the resistor module on my kid's 2013 Fiesta and figured I'd do the cabin air filter at the same time. I want to send a large :fuckoff: to whoever designed the filter housing and how to get to/replace the filter.
At one point some Ford dealers were denying the Fiesta even had a CAF because I guess the process wasn't even documented for them.

I've had a fresh filter for mine in my garage for about a year but have yet to feel motivated to actually do it, seems like a worse job than the blower motor resistor in my E46 was.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Here’s the service manual pages for how to replace the Fiesta cabin air filter

https://imgur.com/gallery/orTUV4D

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Red posted:

So I have a 2010 VW Golf that's been pretty reliable, and I've only driven it sparingly over the pandemic. This last December/January, I put in around $2k for a bunch of things (fuel pump, seat belt sensor, etc.), and figured I'd be good at least another year or two.

This past weekend, I came back from an out of town trip (2 hours each way), where I drove about ~70mph the whole way. That's the longest and farthest I've driven it in some time. Once I got off my exit and came to a light, something felt off when I braked - then it struggled to get up to speed as I gave it gas, and it felt like the car limped the last mile home. The next day, I drove it down the street, and it was fine, and I drove it about 3 miles out and back for an appointment with no trouble. However, it looks like I'll need to make weekly out of town trips for 2+ hour drives. Is this possibly a fuel injection problem? Is it worth risking a long drive? I don't look forward to the likely answers.

Mechanic: I drove it around town, and let it sit and run for a long time, no problems. It did return a code after running diagnostics that the transmission got hot, so we'll just keep an eye on it.

The only thing I'm wary of is that the vacuum pump was replaced in December by them, and I guess I need to find out how long that part is covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Here’s the service manual pages for how to replace the Fiesta cabin air filter

https://imgur.com/gallery/orTUV4D

I found a few videos, and it seems I have to take one of the AC blower thingies out as well. Not to mention, getting the filter back in without mashing it is supposedly a hell of a time.

e: Oh I see it says remove HVAC duct with a terrible picture lol

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 26, 2023