Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he's a forum pet that has gotten special privileges that encourage his weird behavior and now he must be killed if he was funny i could understand but every post i see is just white noise gibberish that isnt funny

Simply being annoying as poo poo is the hardest thing for mods to permaban someone for. It's purely subjective, and if someone has been on the forums for a long time, hard not to make personal. It's a little bit like having to fire someone, or kick them out of a friends group, and you have to do it at your unpaid job.

And it can make you enemies, though in this case I really don't think that'll be a problem lol. Speaking of enemies I wonder if snake tits guy is still here on a rereg. If so: eat my shorts idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Simply being annoying as poo poo is the hardest thing for mods to permaban someone for. It's purely subjective, and if someone has been on the forums for a long time, hard not to make personal. It's a little bit like having to fire someone, or kick them out of a friends group, and you have to do it at your unpaid job.

And it can make you enemies, though in this case I really don't think that'll be a problem lol. Speaking of enemies I wonder if snake tits guy is still here on a rereg. If so: eat my shorts idiot

drat bro you sound like you're having a day, PMs open if you need someone to talk to

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

nom epique does the most mild shitposting i've even seen and it's hilarious how his posting style annoys people this much.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

nom epique does the most mild shitposting i've even seen and it's hilarious how his posting style annoys people this much.

Yeah, the amount of grown adults losing their loving minds because of the "GBS forum pets" is hilarious. Funnier than the shitposts, infact.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

don't recall anyone losing their minds, but then drone_fragger does love a bit of hyperbole

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Being an admin here isn't going to make you popular. Nobody in charge of enforcing order is ever going to win universal approval - that's why CISO is a dead-end career move... because you have to tell people 'no'.

If an admin were to tell me they were avoiding giving out a permaban because the target had friends I would tell them that maybe they should pass the role to someone else.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

don't recall anyone losing their minds, but then drone_fragger does love a bit of hyperbole

Oh?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Rust Martialis posted:

If an admin were to tell me they were avoiding giving out a permaban because the target had friends I would tell them that maybe they should pass the role to someone else.

I didn't mean to imply the admins are declining permabans - the way they happen is someone makes a thread in the mod forum and quotes a bunch of poo poo they feel is worthy of a permaban.

This is much harder to make convicing, even to yourself trying to put it together, when someone's worst crime is overusing the word "copping"

sometimes I wish Jeffrey would come out of hibernation and just singlehandedly remove some annoying people, seems like something a capricious owner could actually be good for

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

AARD VARKMAN posted:

To move an actual feedback conversation here from SAD's Small Questions thread: nom epique/muaddib atreides/Canpakes/literally half a dozen other annoying banned names predating 2016.

I think his time has come. He needs to stop with the catchphrases completely or be handed a 100k. I thought he was tolerable when his own thread ended up a general chat thread and I could flame him at will, but he has been catchphrasing his brains out. Probably he needs to also commit to not posting anywhere political.

Probably, given the hundreds of chances, he is incapable of this, and we should just get it over with.

hows about windows98 while you’re at it ?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Please do not go at each other, individually, ITT. Calling someone's specific feedback hyperbole is one thing, but don't make it about the poster. Thank you

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

AARD VARKMAN posted:

sometimes I wish Jeffrey would come out of hibernation and just singlehandedly remove some annoying people, seems like something a capricious owner could actually be good for

ob cmon, either name your foes or at least hint enough to kick off a witchhunt, cant even get a goose-chase out of that

edit: ty for leaving the thread open btw, theres usually a lot of frontloading w/ things like this, qcs reboot etc. as unaddressed/unresolved things all get handled then it slows down like it is now which can make it seem like 'oh dont need this anymore', but it's still doing stuff & it'll quietly solve/prevent a lotta the lil things that get goon-telephone distorted and/or built up into major points of contention that cost a bunch of time/energy fixing later, (imo) making the mild annoyance of maintaining it worth what it helps prevent/avoid: forums bilge compartment p much

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 23, 2023

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I'm a forum pet that has gotten special privileges that encourage my weird behavior and now I must be killed if I was funny i could understand but every post i see is just white powder gibberish that isnt funny

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I've never actually noticed any of the nom epique accounts in the wild (I mean I've probably seen their poss, but they were inoffensive enough not to register) so I also don't get this furor

Anyway, I believe I was told that mild trolling shouldn't be punished What has changed?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

nom's shitposts and catchphrases are sometimes funny, there are repeat trolls and bad posters who are less funny and have been around longer and have rap sheets the length of a novel and still aren't perma'd. as aard said, it's subjective what people find funny and hard to justify a perma when the crime is that they keep posting about copping a grip of energy drinks.

and perhaps mods are just mad they were made to look the fool when he was banned from the student loan thread and then all of his predictions came true :grin:

anyway, i'd say just probe if you're sick of seeing the posts about big B's student loan disaster, or issue a mod challenge where he has to prove to a mod that he actually has student loan debt comparable to the price of a house as he claims

(e: that last part is a joke, i'm not trying to call him a bad faith student loan agitator, before anyone gets weird about it, plus he would never self-dox)

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 23, 2023

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

AARD VARKMAN posted:

post the list!!!!!!!!!!!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

can i be an idiot king and have six hour probation buttons for all of gbs thank you

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he's a forum pet that has gotten special privileges that encourage his weird behavior and now he must be killed if he was funny i could understand but every post i see is just white noise gibberish that isnt funny

Top 100 most ignored poster with mile long rap sheet complains about forums pets

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

who are the mods protecting him, post the spreadsheet

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

teemolover42069 posted:

post the list!!!!!!!!!!!

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

who are the mods protecting him, post the spreadsheet

i meant removing posters from the forums, not mods. There's not anybody agitating for keeping annoying people around, there just also isn't any mod currently that has declared whatever person, in this case nom epique, has risen to the level of justifying a permaban thread.

you can see from other replies it's hardly a case of "everyone wants mods to get rid of this guy and they're just refusing", permabans for this kind of thing are contentious. hence why admins so often end up being the ones to do it

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Ok so then finally perma him for his repeat probe evasion by registering a new lovely name the second he got a ban + 30 back when he was still epic 2012 gbs username or whatever

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Ban anyone with 36 or more probes

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Hmm. Move every GBS thread into CCCC and start over

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

You and aardvark are the only ones who have interacted positively with yhis thread and I appreciate it. I just meant in general. There ARE like 85 of yall.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Nom epique or whatever has barely even came across my radar to be honest.

I do think the threshold for perma should be higher than annoying gimmick poster though.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Lol what in the world? The forum barely has any posters anymore. Being ban happy is not the path. If you want to put threads in the leper colony that is one thing (and still hardly advisable) but banning actual contributors? Not good for the wallet, nor the soul.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Lol what in the world? The forum barely has any posters anymore. Being ban happy is not the path. If you want to put threads in the leper colony that is one thing (and still hardly advisable) but banning actual contributors? Not good for the wallet, nor the soul.

Okay, he's here. Need to back and look over the thread. See how many times you need to say his name to summon him.

e: ah crap. was just reading the chat thread and thought I was still there. This is not feedback, but this is:

I enjoy the reaction people have to this guy. He's harmless. Wasn't it also revealed in his containment thread that most of the people voting 1 were people who never post in GBS or lurkers who never post anywhere? Why should they have a say on if he gets to post or not?

I also haven't seen him barge into threads and derail them like other gimmick posters have. He makes his own threads to shitpost nonsense in.

Valko fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 23, 2023

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
value my contribution I shriek as I do a big poo poo on the table

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Ok. Content is king, as it has been well said. GBS is the normal homeowner dad forum and that makes haters mad because they wish it was 2010 and people were posting pics of their steampunk parties and calling each other good sir. Well, I want that too but , you can’t go back if there’s nothing to go back to. You can either completely nuke what is left of GBS as some are wishing, or not. That’s basically what this thread comes down to. I suppose someone will make a decision.

MuadDib Atreides fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 23, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Ok. Content is king, as it has been well said. GBS is the normal homeowner dad forum and that makes haters mad because they wish it was 2010 and people were posting pics of their steampunk parties and calling each other good sir. Well, I want that too but , you can’t go back if there’s nothing to go back to. You can either completely nuke what is left of GBS as some are wishing, or not.

Ok, now I get the complaints

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Ok. Content is king, as it has been well said. GBS is the normal homeowner dad forum and that makes haters mad because they wish it was 2010 and people were posting pics of their steampunk parties and calling each other good sir. Well, I want that too but , you can’t go back if there’s nothing to go back to. You can either completely nuke what is left of GBS as some are wishing, or not. That’s basically what this thread comes down to. I suppose someone will make a decision.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

yeah he's a lot of noise, but probably not worth a perma tbh

don't know all his past, ofc

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah. After his last post I'm now firmly sitting on the fence.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

A post of all time.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Log off

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

steinrokkan posted:

Valko posted:

Yeah. After his last post I'm now firmly sitting on the fence.

lol at how quick that was

i think this is a self regulating problem where nom epique can continue trying to prove why he shouldn't be banned and in the process probably end up demonstrating why he should, or skip a move or three to not draw the attention of half of the website onto himself like hes about to, and be fine as long as he doesnt keep trying to crawl into the driver's seat of threads and steer em into walls
personally i dont think he should be banned for being purely annoying, but he should prob. be less annoying. its easy to do.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I do not necessarily think posting on something awful needs to be a content creation gig, even if some posters do genuinely produce content.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

FirstnameLastname posted:

lol at how quick that was

i think this is a self regulating problem where nom epique can continue trying to prove why he shouldn't be banned and in the process probably end up demonstrating why he should, or skip a move or three to not draw the attention of half of the website onto himself like hes about to, and be fine as long as he doesnt keep trying to crawl into the driver's seat of threads and steer em into walls
personally i dont think he should be banned for being purely annoying, but he should prob. be less annoying. its easy to do.

I just came into the thread to cop the latest drama and people were talking about me for some reason

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Runa posted:

I do not necessarily think posting on something awful needs to be a content creation gig, even if some posters do genuinely produce content.

Posting for free? In this economy?!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

FirstnameLastname posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

MuadDib Atreides posted:

cop a better posting style, imo

you could have been a contributor to the keyboards thread in SH/SC but your posting style is so ironic that it's wrapped around to sincerely annoying