Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

haakman posted:

Who the gently caress wants to drive in London. loving awful place. The only thing of value was Twisto (always missed).

In general I don't mind people dissing London-the-city, there's plenty to complain about. However, there are a bunch of us in this thread who live in London. When you say the only thing of value was literally the individual and forums poster Twisto you are, actually, telling the rest of us, personally, we're poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

feedmegin posted:

In general I don't mind people dissing London-the-city, there's plenty to complain about. However, there are a bunch of us in this thread who live in London. When you say the only thing of value was literally the individual and forums poster Twisto you are, actually, telling the rest of us, personally, we're poo poo.

Lol I'm sorry you had to find out this way

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Sometimes a shithole is a good thing

Without a shithole where would I put my poo poo?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

mrpwase posted:

Sometimes a shithole is a good thing

Without a shithole where would I put my poo poo?

That's what these forums are for.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Isomermaid posted:

There's a really good production of the play Accidental Death Of An Anarchist on at the moment, Im going to see it again before it closes. Written as a response to real events in I think the 50s but increasingly relevant in light of the Met's continued record. Highly recommend it if you have a chance to catch it, think it's on till September

I saw it in the 80s in London. I can't really recall the story but I do know that at every performance they added some completely up to date political commentary in to it.

Mulling over cancelling my Unite membership.
Can I go 3 years without needing a union (til State Pension) & I'm cutting my hours down to 10pwk (+extra at peak times) from January.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 24, 2023

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

(Logs into SA.)
Wow, over 120 new posts in the UK thread. There must be a some huge new story breaking. Some scandal perhaps.
Or maybe it's an extended discussion about some type of food?

(Clicks on the thread. It looks like the game Starcraft, with all players playing as Protoss. Everyone is spawning Zealots but instead they just say "My Life for London!")

Backs away.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
As an erstwhile resident of High Wycombe, I humbly offer up the entire town and it's surrounding areas as fodder for the collective grievances of the thread. This will give our London posters time to recover, while hopefully sating the rapacious appetites our more provincial contributors. I only ask that you please spare our world famous Chair Museum and direct line to Marylebone.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
^^^ you've reminded me:

Don't forget just 2 more days (responses to be in by 26th July) to have your say on the proposed closure of ticket offices:

https://www.transportfocus.org.uk/ticket-office-consultation/

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Is it? Is it really? I seem to remember Mayor Boris Johnson? That wasn't particularly long ago. Last I checked the Tories have 9 of the 25 seats in the London Assembly. It wasn't Manchester that elected BNP councillors, it was Barking & Dagenham. For every Jeremy Corbyn you can point to there's a Iain Duncan Smith, a Sir Kid Starver, a Theresa Villiers, a Wes Streeting, a Neil Coyle. London mostly votes red, regardless of who the candidate is, which makes it no better or worse than most other metropolitan areas in the country. Excluding Scotland where different parties are competitive.

It wasn't London that had Britain's last Communist councillor, it was Ballingry in the heart of Fife mining country, who only stepped down in 2016. So is London more "solidly left-wing" than Liverpool or Glasgow or Cardiff or some of the old mining communities that Thatcher destroyed & Blair & Brown left to rot? How do you even measure it unless you blindly accept that voting Labour is left-wing, something that has barely been true for most of our lifetimes? It's a stupid question.

The rest of your arguments have been discussed elsewhere, but I just wanted to address this - because this is loving nonsense. Are you seriously comparing Ballingry, a town with a population of 5,940 with a city of 8.8 million people (metropolitan area almost 15 mil)?

London is, in population terms, a region of the UK, and one of the larger ones, with more people than Scotland and Wales combined. And in the last two elections, a higher proportion of Londoners voted to make Jeremy Corbyn prime minister than anywhere else. If you want to disregard electoralism, then as someone who works in the UK left I can inform you that the organised left is a level of magnitude larger in London than anywhere else in the country.

No one is suggesting that you’re not going to get some right-wing shitheads in 8.8 million people, just like how Scotland has gifted the world Michael Gove and the knobhead from Coast who’s on GB News now.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

so “woman gets off bus, is told to stop, tells the filth to gently caress off (because she knows exactly why she and not someone else was told to stop) and gets arrested for it”

But she got de-arrested afterwards! That makes it all okay, obviously!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

smellmycheese posted:

Jacksonville - lmao. Just poo poo

I have lived in Jacksonville, I can confirm.

Even worse, I used to ride my bicycle to work.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tindalos posted:

But she got de-arrested afterwards! That makes it all okay, obviously!

I initially thought being "de-arrreted" some made up media buzz word.
But for those interested, it actually does mean something.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/mar/01/law.emmabrockes

It goes without saying that this doesn't retcon what she went through with the arrest or the awful treatment she endured.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Mr Phillby posted:

This all feels like a lot of crab bucket turn on each other poo poo tbh.

Yeah londons poo poo its in Britain. Your town loving sucks too. Everything you like about it is overshadowed by poo poo governance, underfunding, privatisation and the people there who voted for our current poo poo government.

London isn't overfunded everywhere else is underfunded and what small joy you gain by having a go at other people for living closer to the source of our problems isn't worth it in the long run. Solidarity with the people who live and work in the city is whats needed, not some dick waving contest about your area being more deprived than thou, and therefore morally superior or w/e.

Just to continue throwing gas on the faeces fire: ^100% this.

Have lived in London for 13 years. It's got a lot of amazing aspects. But due to the fact it's in Britain, it is poo poo and getting worse.

I've been to most other major cities in the UK (Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool, Newcastle, couple smaller ones like Exeter): they all felt the same as London to me by-and-large. Same issues of general uncleanliness, crippling poverty, visible human misery and suspicious/racist locals.

Interestingly I do feel like British market towns are really quite lovely, albeit completely exclusi noonary and usually propped up by local wealth. I just think Britain does cities poorly, and by-and-large the whole nation sucks due to the political and social state we've ended up in.

But I do take the point of others here, that having someone like my brother-in-law saying London's poo poo and awful and how could we possibly live there, and I'm like my dude you live in Swansea mind your glass house.

EDIT: oh but Edinburgh is lovely, as is most of Scotland

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i can go on unlimited bus rides in an hour for under £2 but also we have canary wharf. a land of contrasts

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
We should stop ragging on London and accept the fact that London sucks because it is in England which sucks even more.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

Gentle reminder that the rest of the country did this, so in conclusion, London and the UK are both poo poo.

Part of the country that didn't abandon Corbyn in 2019 reporting in :coolfish:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

We should stop ragging on London and accept the fact that London sucks because it is in England which sucks even more.

Fair.

Bird flu is clearly running through the area here, quite a few dead gulls over the weekend. But DEFRA don't care unless there's 5 birds in the same spot basically.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

forkboy84 posted:

Fair.

Bird flu is clearly running through the area here, quite a few dead gulls over the weekend. But DEFRA don't care unless there's 5 birds in the same spot basically.

I wonder if that's why we keep finding dead magpies in the paddocks. :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Diet Crack posted:

Gentle reminder that the rest of the country did this, so in conclusion, London and the UK are both poo poo.

Gentle reminder that you're conflating England and the UK.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Fair.

I feel that Private Eye's nickname of DEFRA as DEFROW is pretty accurate.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Jedit posted:

it's all the same shithole island, hth

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Jedit posted:

Awful country

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

His point is that Scotland didn't actually return a majority of Tories OP, hope that helps. The broader point is right though, even the less bad parts of the UK are only less bad relative to the worse parts.

Angrymog posted:

I wonder if that's why we keep finding dead magpies in the paddocks. :(

Possible, although from what I understand the current outbreak is mostly focused on the coast. Not exclusively though, but seabirds have even particularly hit hard. Incidentally, if you see a bird who can't really keep its neck up, or has a swollen head, those are give aways of bird flu. Or so the person from the SSPCA I spoke to on Saturday says.

Apparently ⅓ of the Svalbard based breeding colony of Barnacle geese died off over winter 2021/2, over 13,000 birds. It's bad

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Reddit are currently doing their annual pixel drawing extravaganza and , as always, the battle over colouring Northern Ireland will be hard fought until the end

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I didn't know the north sea had a flag, but good choice

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Should have gone with the big woodlouse.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/leftiestats/status/1683385468560326657?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

fuctifino posted:

The last couple of pages seem to suggest that liking something is a subjective choice. Shocking revelation imo.

In other news, this tweet stood out for its sheer stupidity:

https://twitter.com/AllisonPearson/status/1683172417139617792

:allears:

e: ACAB and escpecially ACAB the MET

"You say the boat is sinking but First Class remains dry, explain that!"

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

Less that and more “if the climate is changing why are we having such a wet and cold summer where we’d usually expect warm and dry weather, explain that with your science :smuggo:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

People who still act like they don't know what the climate is should be thrown in jail. Boat jail.

Sinking boat jail.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

History Comes Inside! posted:

Less that and more “if the climate is changing why are we having such a wet and cold summer where we’d usually expect warm and dry weather, explain that with your science :smuggo:

That's why they started calling it climate change instead of global warming. Now you just have to face up to all the people so stupid that they don't understand why ice makes your drink cold.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Unlike a lot of columnists who act performatively dumb or nasty to get a reaction out of the reader I’m pretty sure Alison genuinely is absolutely thick as pig poo poo

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Wouldn't have thought this time last year that the SNP would be the only big party maintaining any sort of support for trans rights.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Diet Crack posted:

wrong

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

I initially thought being "de-arrreted" some made up media buzz word.
But for those interested, it actually does mean something.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/mar/01/law.emmabrockes

It goes without saying that this doesn't retcon what she went through with the arrest or the awful treatment she endured.

Oh for sure, it's more I guess how they phrase it: "she was de-arrested and allowed to go on her way." Feels like they're wondering why people are still talking about it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah it’s a shithole archipelago

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah it’s a shithole archipelago

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

Wouldn't have thought this time last year that the SNP would be the only big party maintaining any sort of support for trans rights.

I think Labour will, at some point, start the process of banning trans people from accessing basic spaces in society, it's already hinted in that awful piece of poo poo, dodds, announcement on single sex spaces

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
"We need to recognise that sex and gender are different – as the Equality Act does. We will make sure that nothing in our modernised gender recognition process would override the single-sex exemptions in the Equality Act. Put simply, this means that there will always be places where it is reasonable for biological women only to have access."

Lmao absolutely hopeless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I had a wonderful lil house party with friends yesterday where everyone was super accepting of my transition and it felt so nice and wholesome, and then I wake up to this awful, exhausting news, and I think how much that is the trans experience right now in the UK - moments of joy and love interrupted by being a political target