Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
are there any articles about troubleshooter abanonded children?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

The Colonel posted:

whyd you read an article about explaining the themes of tales of the abyss before actually playing it...

It's fun hearing other people talk about what they get out of media. I really like getting exposed to other perspectives

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Man, I wish. It would be super cool if someone wrote a few pages about spoonist philosophy or the overall geopolitics situation in troubleshooter and got it published somewhere. I wasn't able to find anything with a quick search, but I'll keep my eyes open

Barudak
May 7, 2007

avoraciopoctules posted:

It's fun hearing other people talk about what they get out of media. I really like getting exposed to other perspectives

Same, even when you're all wrong, wrong dammit!!!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

my problem with 6 is fairly specific (i absolutely hate how they wrote, or mostly didnt write, a big ensemble cast so its really clear they gave you 14 characters for the dumbass split party dungeons) so i think this is a reasonable opinion. its so crazy to me though when people go "oh yeah ff6, the best one." like huh???

It makes more sense when you're an old fart and went from FFIV -> FFVI on the SNES with no FFV or DQV+VI to compare it to. Or even Romancing SaGa 1-3.
In that bubble its scope and feeling of epic-ness was awe-inspiring at the time.
It's one of my favorite games of all time, but having played it more recently I recognize that a lot of that is probably nostalgia goggles. There is a lot of stuff in the game that is just silly jank.
That having been said: I'd still take it over any FF that came after, excluding maybe X.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I like all of them for different reasons. As long as I have memorable characters and a great soundtrack I'm totally there for the SNES Final Fantasies.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I think it's cool FF6 had a playable Moogle.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
all the ff games after 6 are good

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

No, because there's some kind of anti-publicity energy emanating from it despite being really cool and weird. I assume it's actually because it's small studio, a tactics game, and korean? The EN translation also isn't great, which doesn't help, but it's comprehensible outside of the in media res thing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

avoraciopoctules posted:

You're not being exposed to other perspective, you don't have a perspective on the work in the first place.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I wish the random encounters in Bravely Default 1 were, like, 10% easier. The default encounter rate is fine but the enemies are just strong enough to make them feel like a hassle, I'm in Underflow right now and the group Fira + Silence ability that the Flare Lanterns have is the strongest trash mob move I've seen in quite a while.

Wondering if it's too much menu fiddling to set the game difficulty to Easy when I'm wandering around and then dialing it back up to Normal for bosses, I'm coming up on 40 hours of playtime and it feels like I still have so far to go. Kind of just want to speed things along at this point.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
After a point I just turned off random encounters entirely and got by on boss experience only. It was fun.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I feel like the series kinda did a pokémon-dev-team style thing where they just switched between two team's visions each release.
3 - job system! and story is.... there
4 - character-focused story with a large cast of characters who come in and out of the plot's relevance
5 - job system! and another story that sure exists
6- character focused story with a large cast of characters who come in and out of relevance but you get to keep them all this time

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
talking with some of my friends who experienced FFV for the first time this year and honestly i think "FFV has no/bad story" is sort of a truism at this point and not really based on anything other than it not being a big on character drama like FFIV and FFVI are. Exdeath isn't the most exciting villain but he's a lot of fun and has a badass origin story, and the actual events of the story that he facilitates are good. world 1 is probably the weakest but it's fine, and i think world 2's story is actually good, and then world 3 cranks of the stakes so sharply and quickly that i really love it.

e: i also think part of it comes from "exdeath" being a loving stupid name and a lot of us probably first interacted with FFV via a mediocre translation as teens who had our minds blown by FFVI, so suddenly "lol you fight a tree named exdeth lol" became the thing people remember

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the ff5 story is good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
like yeah ff5 is not very complex in its basic structure or themes but like. ff4 didnt really have a pace. ff4 was a game where a lot of poo poo just kind of happened. ff5 has a pretty simple structure that works to convey a simple old-school party dynamic but it tells that simpler fantasy adventure pretty well and people underestimate just how humorous the original script was even before the gba tl cranked it up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Love that about ff4 tbh

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think you (avoraciopoctules) mean well and you said you don't want to share your opinions on what you link but it's not very interesting to drop a bunch of contextless articles unless you have your own feelings on the subject to share.

I read the Polygon article. It's incoherent. I thought it was going to be griping about how their pre-release Good Guy Ganondorf theories didn't come true, but there only a throwaway mention about the racial implications of the Gerudo. The rest is rapidfire talking points (monarchy discourse, Zelda having no agency, (TOTK spoilers)Link regrowing his arm, Zelda turning back to normal being a disappointing lack of consequences?) that basically have no singular point other than being vaguely critical of the game. And at the last second there's a snipe about IP zombies and the Barbie movie so the very concept of making Zelda games instead of an original IP is bad (but Majora's Mask is an exception because it's good)??? Is this clickbait? I feel clickbaited.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Countblanc posted:

e: i also think part of it comes from "exdeath" being a loving stupid name and a lot of us probably first interacted with FFV via a mediocre translation as teens who had our minds blown by FFVI, so suddenly "lol you fight a tree named exdeth lol" became the thing people remember

Exdeath is a sick name and so was "X-Death" from the original dingleberry/karl boss/Y burn translation.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Phantasium posted:

Exdeath is a sick name and so was "X-Death" from the original dingleberry/karl boss/Y burn translation.

X-Death is what’s happening on twitter.com right now

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Neeksy posted:

I feel like the series kinda did a pokémon-dev-team style thing where they just switched between two team's visions each release.
4 - character-focused story with a large cast of characters who come in and out of the plot's relevance
6- character focused story with a large cast of characters who come in and out of relevance but you get to keep them all this time

It extends to 1 and 2 as well.

You get simple but well executed adventure serial then melodrama about a war and the people suffering because of it. IT's just the scale of both types of stories grows exponentially with each one. The issue with 6 is that it flubs the back half of it's ensemble cast focused melodrama with the silo'd off vignettes and ultimately it's not as willingly to get as interesting or weird with its framing and melodrama as the game right after it where as 5 sticks it's landings tonally narratively and having mechanics that Function, which wouldn't 100% happen again until like...ffX?

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

mycot posted:

I think you (avoraciopoctules) mean well and you said you don't want to share your opinions on what you link but it's not very interesting to drop a bunch of contextless articles unless you have your own feelings on the subject to share.

I read the Polygon article. It's incoherent. I thought it was going to be griping about how their pre-release Good Guy Ganondorf theories didn't come true, but there only a throwaway mention about the racial implications of the Gerudo. The rest is rapidfire talking points (monarchy discourse, Zelda having no agency, (TOTK spoilers)Link regrowing his arm, Zelda turning back to normal being a disappointing lack of consequences?) that basically have no singular point other than being vaguely critical of the game. And at the last second there's a snipe about IP zombies and the Barbie movie so the very concept of making Zelda games instead of an original IP is bad (but Majora's Mask is an exception because it's good)??? Is this clickbait? I feel clickbaited.

That seems like a fairly reasonable response to the article. I definitely feel like a lot of these ideas it throws out are aimed to shock people, bait in readers, get people to spend more time on the page so the site gets more ad revenue or however the algorithms run things these days.

Here are the two paragraphs that made me slide this article into "oh hey, that's pretty neat" (BTW, spoiler warning for anyone still working on the game):
-=-=-=-=-
"What Tears of the Kingdom ultimately says about bodies is that in a neat, happy ending, they can only exist one way. Prosthetics, scars, or deliberate modifications are blemishes that must be erased in the same sweep as the Demon King himself. Like the rest of the narrative — like the rest of the franchise — it doesn’t celebrate anything changing.

In their excellent piece on Tears of the Kingdom’s ending, critic Harper Jay asks if it’s “a story for our current times.” They argue that a bolder, more honest ending might have left Zelda trapped in her draconic form, never quite remembering why she is crying; that a bittersweet move like that would demonstrate that in order for evil to be defeated, there has to be a sacrifice that can’t be swept away by convenient magical abilities.
"
=-=-=-=-=
This speaks to something I personally thought about in the ending of Tears, when a miracle restores everything to the status quo and seemingly erases all the Zonai stuff. What about all the regular people who have been using the new technology to build stuff? All the hot air balloons people are using to travel, the infrastructure being put up in Tarrey Town, the people who upended their lives to do the cart racing and so on.

To me, Tears feels like the Zelda where Hyrule comes the closest to not centering on Link. You have people working to address problems without being quite so haplessly dependent on the hero showing up. Those squads of peasant militia going to fight the monsters are super cool. It feels like a bit of a shame that all the magitech is getting banished along with the monsters without the regular people getting a say in that. You could draw parallels to the twilight powers getting re-exiled in Twilight Princess, but it feels significantly different to me here because of all of the neat positive effects that Zonai tech seems to be having on people. And I suppose you could say some stuff about how much people use monster bits for stuff too, but that's a topic rife with pitfalls. I can feel sorry for Kilton, at least.

I'm not sold that the return to an idealized pastoral Hyrule is the best possible outcome. Wind Waker is my favorite zelda for a few reasons, but one of them is that it argued that hanging onto the old idealized pastoral monarchy Hyrule meant that you were giving up on the chance to build a new future hyrule that just might end up better (here's a 1hr vid that touches on that, btw).

Wouldn't it be cool if we got a future game that challenged that neat consequence-free return-to-status-quo ending? I suppose I'd be happy with a cool fanfic or indie game that riffs on some these ideas, too. Might even work pretty well as a setup for a D&D game! When I try to recall fantasy novels that would let me look at the Tears finale from a different angle, Adrian Tchaikovsky's Spiderlight and Redemption's Blade do jump out at me, but it's been a long time since I read either of them, and I'm fairly sure neither of them involve people who reshaped their lives around new magic infrastructure, only to have the stuff suddenly vanish on them.

If I recall correctly, nintendo folks have said that they plan on producing more Zelda games in the open-world mode. I'd really like it if the next one had a story that got a bit more overtly interested in the politics of relations and diverging interests between different groups in Hyrule. Or one that looks at how Hyrule gets messier after technology progresses a bit and they go a while without a monolithic "Monster" other to unify against. What if we built on the seeds of Kilton, Batreaux, and the rare friendly moblins in earlier games, and have a game where there are a bunch of moblins and lizalfos that have a chance to be chill without Malice driving them to holy war?

So, that's my thoughts on this article. It gave me a pretty fun jumping off point to imagine a cool zelda fanfic or hypothetical spinoff game, and I'm quite happy with that. It isn't what convinced me to run a D&D campaign in fanfic Hyrule, but it gave me some fun ideas for casting Zelda in a more antagonistic light if the party ends up leaning that way. The Cohost article it links to also makes a pitch on how a permanently dragon-mode Zelda could be a really cool setting/narrative element, especially if she carried forward into future games.
=-==-=
"Hell, even if the goddess blessed another brave woman who unites with a loyal warrior to fight the forces of evil… there might still be a dragon in the sky. A Zelda-eternal hovering above all as a reminder of what it takes to be brave."
-=-=-=-=
It would be pretty wild if I was doing an entirely different Zelda game and ran into the Light Dragon as a remnant of the TotK struggle. What if the current human Zelda met the Light Dragon? You could get substantial pathos out of that.

Let's see, anything else... I am disappointed in the reversion to the status quo because I really like playing Reassembly and Highfleet. I hope the next Zelda doubles down on letting you build contraptions. The zonai tech isn't necessary for that... but I do want something similar as an option again. Hyrule Engineering Club is a cool place, but it could be even cooler if they get to sink their teeth into a new game that can support bigger builds and a secondary on-off switch. If the Tears events have a lasting impact on Hyrule, that means the next game has a ton of room to get Very Weird, and I'd be all for that.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 24, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Libluini posted:

I feel like if you think that games like FF1 or FF2 are "refined" takes, you have never played a JRPG in your life, ever

they're janky messes, that's part of their charm

"Refined" was definitely the wrong word. Maybe "heightened?" Either way, I do think the earlier FFs shared certain commonalities in its setting that become less true from FF6 forward.

Like, you might fly to the moon on a space ship and fight a giant robot in FF4, but you're still playing as a fairy tale knight with ninjas and wizards in a world where all those things easily coexist. But in FF6, the loyal knight samurai is notably anachronistic, the ninja is just a professional murderer, and magic is a dangerous force whose reintroduction into the world is traumatic. Those changes make it feel way less "dragon questy" than just having your typical adventuring party board a space ship. imho

Neeksy posted:

People have already talked up 5 so I'm gonna put some appreciation on 3. The actual plot is rudimentary, but the narrative of just some kids leaving their village for an afternoon, going on an Important Quest for the Crystals while Learning Important Adult Life Lessons and defeat the Bad Man who Would Not Grow Up, only to finally come home in time for dinner is very sweet.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think zelda being cursed to be a crying dragon for the rest of her life would make the ending of the game more interesting. the beat was already just kind of a repeat of her arc in botw which was itself a bit of a repeat of her arc in twilight princess, zelda being forced to make a choice that results in her dealing with eternal suffering forever because of unchangeable plot reasons but it's actually for real forever this time would not make the beat more interesting. you could take the beat in a different direction that could be more interesting but i dont think that kind of turn is the one that does it

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 24, 2023

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Do they ever explain how they got rid of every scrap of Sheikah tech including the shrines and filling up the holes? It's been like, 6 years in story for botw and totk or something right?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they do not. totk basically ignores huge chunks of botw to the point that some characters who had full sidequests don't remember you. it's kinda weird

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if you want to read fanfic then read fanfic, there’s lots of it, though disproportionately populated by stories of link being amorous with fish people

some of this talk reminds me of that one guy steadfastly convinced that botw’s big twist was that Zelda and Link got their triforce pieces swapped somehow, which was always such a lame idea. Nintendo’s skimpy storytelling is still preferable to that kind of “innovation”

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

they do not. totk basically ignores huge chunks of botw to the point that some characters who had full sidequests don't remember you. it's kinda weird

Well, they hadn't degraded like all the normal weapons so I suppose it would ruin the balance to have an axe enhanced with Sheikah tower that never breaks. What a shame, that was perfectly good materials.

Oxxidation posted:

if you want to read fanfic then read fanfic, there’s lots of it, though disproportionately populated by stories of link being amorous with fish people

some of this talk reminds me of that one guy steadfastly convinced that botw’s big twist was that Zelda and Link got their triforce pieces swapped somehow, which was always such a lame idea. Nintendo’s skimpy storytelling is still preferable to that kind of “innovation”

I dunno, I didn't think I was asking a crazy question to wonder how something is explained since the time between both games seems to be a normal amount of time that someone could be alive in both parts of. It's not like it's a cryostasis 'you wake up 400 years later' situation like BotW. If I played Megaman Battle Network 2 and then in 4 they were like 'And here's Lan, our new transfer student' while he's still going to ACDC Elementary School I think that would be weird, personally.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 24, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also honestly i really dont get any kind of desire for a zelda with heavier political exploration this is a series where they write tall women who live in the desert like they're the same thing as fish people or big guys who eat rocks, never really been a vast political landscape in there. it's written for ten year olds who want to see link swing the sword.

the zelda games with the coolest writing are less about any political idea and more about lots of people with weird personal problems

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 24, 2023

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Looks like Kemco/Rideon's new tactics RPG is out to generally positive reviews.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2106560/Cross_Tails/

I rather enjoyed what I played of their Mercenaries games, so I might end up giving it a look in a little bit. I do like the idea of Mercenaries with a bit more depth, the jobs system in the last one I played was neat but the characters did end up feeling kinda homogeneous later on as everyone picked up increasingly overlapping skillsets.

The different campaigns sound kinda neat too. I remember that Call of the Wild Lynx had a forking campaign that could give you very different parties at endgame, but this might go a little further than that if you are really able to take either side of the big war.

Then again, I haven't finished Triangle Strategy or the new Fire Emblem yet. Either of those is likely to be a lot more overall polished.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

The Colonel posted:

also honestly i really dont get any kind of desire for a zelda with heavier political exploration this is a series where they write tall women who live in the desert like they're the same thing as fish people or big guys who eat rocks, never really been a vast political landscape in there. it's written for ten year olds who want to see link swing the sword.

the zelda games with the coolest writing are less about any political idea and more about lots of people with weird personal problems

As I mentioned in the bigpost, I would be happy taking an indie game with no attachment to the Zelda IP too. The decay of public infrastructure is already a pretty pressing issue in a lot of places these days. A progression fantasy game about replacing ruined infrastructure... closest RPG I can think of is Sands of Salzaar, but there's probably a better answer I'm overlooking. I'm not sure if Wild Hearts counts as an RPG, but there might be something in a Death Stranding clone exploring that space someday.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wasn't polygon the website that wrote about how ghost of tsushima was an apologiam for samurai, a thing that is literally impossible to declare on the game unless you only played like the first 3 hours of it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ghost of pooshima

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Thinking about regular zelda meeting dragon zelda....

I think I got it now... incredibly jank zelda fan game made in SRPG Studio. Party is packed with zeldas. You got the princess (sword/bow/light tome). You got the dragon (manakete). You have the ninja who is also a mummy (assassin?). You can have an armor knight who is Phantom Zelda possessing a suit of platemail. Let's see any other possibly immortal zeldas floating around... maybe one was sealing a ruin shut until recently, and they didn't age. Give them the healing staves. That's at least 5 of them, which is pretty good! Have one of them find a magic sword that splits them into clones, and you have 9 Zeldas in the team! That's probably enough for a full team.

Goron level has those awful boulders from Path of Radiance, Gerudo level is a classic impeded movement and hidden treasure squares all over. Zora map has flooding that periodically forces you to wait around on little islands. Rito... maybe those annoying wind gusts in that one stage of Fire Emblem Fates? For double points, have Rito allies you need to protect that you can no longer keep out of the fight because they all fly!

Go all in on Fire Emblem Fates! Have the king of hyrule being a huge jerk, until you get him to sit on the magic chair that shows he was ganon all along. You wipe out hundreds of your own knights in the process.

EDIT: "Legends of the Zeldas"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

Wasn't polygon the website that wrote about how ghost of tsushima was an apologiam for samurai, a thing that is literally impossible to declare on the game unless you only played like the first 3 hours of it

I imagine a good deal of it must also be having 0 knowledge of actual samurai besides like, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or something.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Frankly I've always found it weird that they keep bringing back the Gorons, Zora, and Gerudo at all, like they weren't just made up for the temples in Ocarina of Time way back when. I feel like they are a symbol of them completely running out of ideas and not caring.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not opposed to bringing them back but i liked the deku more than the koroks

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I wouldn't lump the Gerudo in there I think they literally have no appearances as a race (as opposed to one off references) between Ocarina and Breath of the Wild.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
the oracle deku tree is very cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Immensely jank zelda/pikmin about being a cool lizardperson herding your tribe of bokoblins. Or maybe hack that Overlord game Triumph made all those years ago? Steal worked lumber and tools from Hylian farmsteads, use them to build up little rallying outposts and get more bokoblins. Eventually start taming the giant boulder beasts, getting 150 blins to carve a skull castle into a mountaintop, and steal the triforce in order to wish the Hearty Durians back from extinction.

Man, that one might actually be fun. We got 2 solid Tingle games, so I can't entirely discount seeing something like that in 20 years. Here's hoping :)