Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

njsykora posted:

Same, the only stick I've ever had drift was a 15 year old Xbox 360 controller

AfricanBootyShine posted:

The Dreamcast controller had a hall effect stick and that was 24 years ago.

Y’all need to learn to count, these can’t be that old.

….oh. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Meanwhile I had one launch dual sense drift on me and one joycon & a Switch pro controller

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Anyone try Vampire The Masquerade Redemption on the deck. There are no reports ops out the deck performance on protondb.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

My launch Switch Joycons are OK, but I've had the Elite Series 2 controller go bad on with drift twice. First time I sent it in for repair, second time I gave up and just started using my Dual Sense on my PC instead.

Now I have the early signs of drift in the Dual Sense, I'm pretty sure. So that's fun.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Installed the Epic freebie Murder By Numbers on my Deck today to see how it ran and to make sure I have a game on Deck ( :rimshot: ) for when I'm done with Great Ace Attorney on my Switch, and drat, they knew what they were going for, huh? Even the text crawl sound is almost identical to AA.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

RandolphCarter posted:

Anyone try Vampire The Masquerade Redemption on the deck. There are no reports ops out the deck performance on protondb.

I haven't played Redemption on the Deck but I have had success with older 3D titles like Enclave, which ran better than on PC for me and without the big lighting issues on most modern hardware.

Redemption is Verified on Steam somehow so I bet it runs fine enough after fiddling with the controls, assuming Proton deals with Redemption's lighting issue with no fuss as well as it does with Enclave.

edit: Took a minute to install it and check it out. The Vertex Lighting is indeed a bit broken, but I didn't notice the fullbright/fulldark issue I get on some machines. It may be possible to fix and you can play in Shadow Map mode regardless. The Deck's touchpads work well with the slower pace of combat & it probably does great after assigning some hotkeys for the map, inventory, etc.

Didn't have any performance issues aside from the lighting and all the videos were playing fine under default settings.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 23, 2023

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GigaPeon posted:

What the ideal dock/USB Hub?

Pretty much any laptop dock works, but the official deck is probably your best bet. That said, if you do go with a different dock, just make sure it's 60hz

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Nancy posted:

I haven't played Redemption on the Deck but I have had success with older 3D titles like Enclave, which ran better than on PC for me and without the big lighting issues on most modern hardware.

Redemption is Verified on Steam somehow so I bet it runs fine enough after fiddling with the controls, assuming Proton deals with Redemption's lighting issue with no fuss as well as it does with Enclave.

edit: Took a minute to install it and check it out. The Vertex Lighting is indeed a bit broken, but I didn't notice the fullbright/fulldark issue I get on some machines. It may be possible to fix and you can play in Shadow Map mode regardless. The Deck's touchpads work well with the slower pace of combat & it probably does great after assigning some hotkeys for the map, inventory, etc.

Didn't have any performance issues aside from the lighting and all the videos were playing fine under default settings.

Thanks for the report.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Commander Keene posted:

Installed the Epic freebie Murder By Numbers on my Deck today to see how it ran and to make sure I have a game on Deck ( :rimshot: ) for when I'm done with Great Ace Attorney on my Switch, and drat, they knew what they were going for, huh? Even the text crawl sound is almost identical to AA.
Its really more of a picross game with some VN stuff than true substitute for Ace Attourney but as a fan of both i had a good time with murder by numbers.

Been playing Viewfinder. Runs nicely on deck, had some crashes initally but all good aftter doing a system update. The voice in your ear character is incredibly annoying for what is otherwise a nice atmospheric experience, just tone shatteringly bad. Very strange decision. Other than that its a pretty simple first person puzzler with a very neat gimmick.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mr Phillby posted:

Its really more of a picross game with some VN stuff than true substitute for Ace Attourney but as a fan of both i had a good time with murder by numbers.

Been playing Viewfinder. Runs nicely on deck, had some crashes initally but all good aftter doing a system update. The voice in your ear character is incredibly annoying for what is otherwise a nice atmospheric experience, just tone shatteringly bad. Very strange decision. Other than that its a pretty simple first person puzzler with a very neat gimmick.

https://twitter.com/VinesauceClips/status/1681769313978417152?s=20

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Now you can get an oled screen for the deck.

https://youtu.be/e57Iy2tQafc

NGL if this was a bit cheaper I’d probably do it.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

If you have humblechoice what are the steps to install the vault onto a steamdeck

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I ripped my physical copy of MGS3. Whoa, the first few minutes of the first cutscene just murder the Deck running PCSX2.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think common wisdom is at this point is, its better to emulate the PS3 HD version, because the original is hard to emulate

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the original was one of the first games I tried to emulate on my pc back in like 2007 and it ran at about 1fps

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
trip report:after the initial poor performance, of MGS 3 on PCSX2, the game play and cutscenes with Sokolov and then Eva are a butter smooth 60 frames per second.

God of War 2 on PCSX2 is also loving amazing. It looks as good as the HD version for my PS3. e:I also can't quite believe I got a good rip of my fifteen year old copy. holy poo poo.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 24, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

tango alpha delta posted:

trip report:after the initial poor performance, of MGS 3 on PCSX2, the game play and cutscenes with Sokolov and then Eva are a butter smooth 60 frames per second.

God of War 2 on PCSX2 is also loving amazing. It looks as good as the HD version for my PS3

MGS3's cutscenes are made out of some sort of PS2 hardware specific black magic which is really expensive to do in software. I think it's the heatwave / water effect.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Welp, I now have started to grow my Emulation Station game collection.

Soon, I will have every game (from like 5-6 specific consoles) and then never play any of them! :confuoot:

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Playing D4 on the deck the last few days and performance is all over the place for me, dungeons with 4 players spamming skills? Runs great. Running around the open world and encountering nothing? Choppy/stuttering mess.

Installed WOW w/ ConsolePort addon and the setup was so incredibly easy, and runs so well I'm incredibly surprised & happy. Chews up battery but no frame rate issues even doing a quick raid, buttons feel great and while some interactions are a bit tricky I can tell they'll become muscle memory over time. Perfect for working on loremaster quests while I'm supposed to be working.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

faantastic posted:

Playing D4 on the deck the last few days and performance is all over the place for me, dungeons with 4 players spamming skills? Runs great. Running around the open world and encountering nothing? Choppy/stuttering mess.
I wonder how much of this is related to hardware performance vs plain old connectivity issues. When I played the beta on desktop I ran into frequent hitches, stuttering, and monsters not loading while I was in the overworld with no one around.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I bought Civ 6 on a whim from the sale just to see if it actually works on the deck. I think it does! I need to fiddle with the controls a bit more, but the default layout is a nice start. Goodbye to being productive for the next two months tho', I haven't played a Civ since IV and this is a lot more fun than I remembered.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

barbecue at the folks posted:

I bought Civ 6 on a whim from the sale just to see if it actually works on the deck. I think it does! I need to fiddle with the controls a bit more, but the default layout is a nice start. Goodbye to being productive for the next two months tho', I haven't played a Civ since IV and this is a lot more fun than I remembered.

Civ IV is still my gold standard, I played SO MUCH of that game, had the special edition, the thick novel-like manual... but I enjoyed V a surprising amount (with DLC, never played vanilla). I played a bunch of VI on Switch, which aside from the initial load time, played alright. A friend of mine wants us to get back into playing Civ together soon, but we keep getting distracted by GTA Online.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 24, 2023

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I wonder how much of this is related to hardware performance vs plain old connectivity issues. When I played the beta on desktop I ran into frequent hitches, stuttering, and monsters not loading while I was in the overworld with no one around.

Hoping it's more the new patch + serverside issues, cause at launch it ran much better outside of the two days of DDOS issues.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Welp, I now have started to grow my Emulation Station game collection.

Soon, I will have every game (from like 5-6 specific consoles) and then never play any of them! :confuoot:

I have switched up how I do emulation. I used to dump an entire rom library into a device and then never play any of them.

Now I tend to choose a game I want to play and put just that on and never play it work through it

Weedle
May 31, 2006

well i gave up on windows on deck after like a day and put steamos back on it. y'all weren't kidding about how much better it is

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
9 hour plane ride, gonna power wash the poo poo out of everything.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

hadji murad posted:

Yes, yesssss :getin: and get clean.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Speaking of Emudeck does anyone know if there is a site out there that lists how much using the touch screen is requried for DS/3DS games there are some I want to play but its really hard to use the decks touch screen precisely enough like some games want you to do.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Drashin posted:

Speaking of Emudeck does anyone know if there is a site out there that lists how much using the touch screen is requried for DS/3DS games there are some I want to play but its really hard to use the decks touch screen precisely enough like some games want you to do.

Not that I'm aware of unfortunately. You could watch review videos of the various games and see if that gives you an idea.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Weedle posted:

well i gave up on windows on deck after like a day and put steamos back on it. y'all weren't kidding about how much better it is

Every day is a learning day

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Weedle posted:

:hmmyes:

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Drashin posted:

Just fyi, if the DS game just requires you to touch a point on the screen it is possible to make a steam controls action set that will do that with just a button press. The basic idea is to have two actions on a button press, the first action moves the cursor to the point you need to touch and the second action clicks. Sorry I cant be more detailed I don't have my deck on hand atm, but I could try to make a more in depth explanation later if you or anyone else needs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weedle posted:

🫡

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Drashin posted:

In Steam Input you can set the trackpad as a mouse and bind it to a certain region of the screen, so you can't go out of that. This way you can use the trackpad to click around the touch screen and maybe it'll be easier/more precise for you with the right settings?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

hadji murad posted:

May your air be as clean as whatever you’re washing.

Because you’re breathing it through at least an N95.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Flickstick gyro on shooters feels so GOOD. I definitely can't say I'm better with it then M&K, but it's cool and I'm good enough they I can play doom eternal in bed, I can't believe you all were already living like this with the steam controller this whole time. I can say valve maybe intentionally killed console gaming for me since I only have an Xbox and I can't go back to a "normal" control scheme"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hadji murad posted:

Good luck with the power ports.

Just had 4 flights and the brick would only stay in one of the plugs across 4 different planes lol

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Weedle posted:

Sometimes the best teacher is just fuckin' around and finding out.

Glad you came to your own conclusions, though. Haters hate, and while I'm absolutely on the side of SteamOS, I know how it feels to be shouted down wanting to do your own thing the way you want it.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Good luck with the power ports.

Just had 4 flights and the brick would only stay in one of the plugs across 4 different planes lol

Between the kid and me we have an extra battery, a 3DS and a Switch. Hope it will eb enough.

Oh and Into the Breach on phones and iPads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Gamers when there is any woman V.O. prominently featured in a game. (Except portal because she is a cool robot wow)