Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm relishing Starmer and Labour getting a kicking next year, but one of the things I'm looking forward to the most is Rosie Duffield losing her seat.
Merely a shame it can't happen to every TERF MP out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"We need special places for biological women, like the poorhouse if they have more than two children, or prison if they get pregnant again and can't afford it and seek termination outside of our arbitrary frameworks set up decades ago by a bunch of male doctors."

Maybe the UK would be less terfy if healthcare for cis women was also less of a shitshow.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I'll believe this kind of poo poo regressive policy is pointing to a karmic defeat when I see some kind of pushback from the "sensible centrists" that he's courting by painting targets on people like my back to triangulate his way into number 10. So far I'm not seeing it, and believe me I'm looking.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

fuctifino posted:

The last couple of pages seem to suggest that liking something is a subjective choice. Shocking revelation imo.

In other news, this tweet stood out for its sheer stupidity:

https://twitter.com/AllisonPearson/status/1683172417139617792

:allears:

e: ACAB and escpecially ACAB the MET

looool

how can someone that loving pig ignorant go online and demand explanations for things

i can grow oranges at daddy's holibobs villa in frawnce, but i can't grow them here - can someone explain please????????????

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
much of canada has several feet of snow of a winter but here we only get the odd skiffle - can someone explain please??????????????

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Too many immigrants from hot places bringing their climates with them. In my youth there used to be snow on TV every Christmas and pictures of people ice skating on the lake on all of the cards. Now there is just slush and dogs mess. :bahgawd:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E: °^^ or that yeah

crispix posted:

much of canada has several feet of snow of a winter but here we only get the odd skiffle - can someone explain please??????????????

North Atlantic current system and the jet stream combining to bring warmth from the Gulf of Mexico and deposit it here as pissing rain

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I was walking the dog just now and a bloke said something to me about a lioness and I assumed he meant that one that was seen in Germany, and now apparently I’m the oval office for not caring enough about women’s football? What is this country coming t

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Isomermaid posted:

I'll believe this kind of poo poo regressive policy is pointing to a karmic defeat when I see some kind of pushback from the "sensible centrists" that he's courting by painting targets on people like my back to triangulate his way into number 10. So far I'm not seeing it, and believe me I'm looking.

Starmer isn't triangulating. That would imply that he's seeking an alternative middle ground to Tory policy that the centrists will accept. He isn't seeking such an alternative because he doesn't need one; the centrists are entirely happy with Tory policy as is, so that's what he's offering them.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

kingturnip posted:

I'm relishing Starmer and Labour getting a kicking next year, but one of the things I'm looking forward to the most is Rosie Duffield losing her seat.
Merely a shame it can't happen to every TERF MP out there.

I'm genuinely not sure that Labour will actually get a kicking, most people are probably happily (or at best reluctantly) voting for them over the tories.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

forkboy84 posted:

His point is that Scotland didn't actually return a majority of Tories OP, hope that helps. The broader point is right though, even the less bad parts of the UK are only less bad relative to the worse parts.

Possible, although from what I understand the current outbreak is mostly focused on the coast. Not exclusively though, but seabirds have even particularly hit hard. Incidentally, if you see a bird who can't really keep its neck up, or has a swollen head, those are give aways of bird flu. Or so the person from the SSPCA I spoke to on Saturday says.

Well, I'm on a very small island, we do get sea gulls on the more inland bits.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I'm genuinely not sure that Labour will actually get a kicking, most people are probably happily (or at best reluctantly) voting for them over the tories.

Anecdotally, here in Dennis Skinner’s old constituency people do seem to be swinging back to Labour as the default. Two people told me last week that they voted Tory/Brexit Party (one each) last time but “they’ll be voting for Dennis again this time round” which pretty much sums up the level of political awareness in the village. One of them said “didn’t you tell me to vote Labour last time?” in a very accusatory fashion.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/TheMendozaWoman/status/1683146887686225921

sigh

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

rip

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The Perfect Element posted:

God that odious little oval office endorsing the two child policy. He's as far away from a normal human being as it's possible to be. The idea of people like that being the future leadership of this country fills me with puke.

He looks like two kids in a suit.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1683417542759440385

Non paywall link to article: https://archive.is/06j4M

quote:

The Met has now instructed external lawyers to take the commissioner to court to block the release of the report, the only police force in the country to do so. This is despite it previously releasing a similar report on child sexual exploitation to The Times in 2021. The move could cost the taxpayer tens of thousands of pounds.

Sir Mark Rowley, the Met commissioner, has previously complained about a lack of police funding. He told The Daily Telegraph in November: “In recent years there have been major budget cuts and then growth but the total effect leaves us lacking.”

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 24, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

This is the only way anyone should ever recieve bbc news.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sanford posted:

I was walking the dog just now and a bloke said something to me about a lioness and I assumed he meant that one that was seen in Germany, and now apparently I’m the oval office for not caring enough about women’s football? What is this country coming t

I guarantee this fair weather prick couldn't tell you anything about the team prior to two years ago.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What's Domonic Cummings doing there?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sanford posted:

Being fair it's been known for like a week now that it wasn't a lion it was a boar. Maybe he was offended on behalf of the porcine family.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lovely stuff!

https://twitter.com/accidentalp/status/1683442646608388098?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tesseraction posted:

What's Domonic Cummings doing there?

Doing an eye exam.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E: sorry, this was covered on the last page, but still

A party...for cunts

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1683451330730360832?t=zFa2E_W-v9DCzXOsCmb4FQ&s=19

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65949435

George Alagiah died.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

A party...for cunts

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1683451330730360832?t=zFa2E_W-v9DCzXOsCmb4FQ&s=19

And making ScotLab look like pathetic branch party that they are when you remember that Labour MSPs overwhelmingly voted for the GRC Bill in Holyrood, just like the Greens, Nats & Libs. Even some Tories voted for the loving thing.

Oct 4, 2005

Is someone keeping track of all the pledges Kid Starver has ditched so far?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
you don't need to because it's all of them

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

1965917 posted:

Is someone keeping track of all the pledges Kid Starver has ditched so far?

Nobody has the time to track all the lies he spouts

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
couple of things particularly sticking in my craw about Dodd's shitey trans column

quote:

However, the law must also protect legitimate applications. Last year, the Scottish National party’s cavalier approach to reforming gender recognition laws seemed to be more about picking a fight with Westminster than bringing about meaningful change. The safeguards that were proposed to protect women and girls from predators who might abuse the system were simply not up to scratch. As a result, the Scottish government is still picking up the pieces, with trans rights no further forward.

this can gently caress off, for a start. "cavalier" is taking several years to drag their feet and eventually come up with a watered-down version of a policy already working fine in other countries and that Scottish Labour loving voted for, but yes the Tories are the ones exploiting the "controversy" for political purposes and ignoring trans people

quote:

We will not make the same mistakes. The requirement to obtain a medical diagnosis of gender dysphoria remains an important part of accessing a gender recognition certificate. That’s especially the case now that gender dysphoria is no longer classified – and stigmatised – as a psychiatric disorder. It can help refer trans people into the NHS for support services – nearly a quarter of trans people don’t know how to access transition-related healthcare. Requiring a diagnosis upholds legitimacy of applications and confidence in the system.

This is just baffling though. How much of the trans people not knowing how to access transition-related healthcare is down to it barely loving existing rather than the convenience of having to jump through whatever medical hoops your GP decides is appropriate for a piece of paper that most trans people haven't bothered to apply for. Also love the declaration that a medical diagnosis of gender dysphoria no longer being specifically a psychiatric disorder means it's totally fine to use it to gatekeep transition now. Thanks, Cis Person! you've solved trans forever. there was no need to speak to a single trans person about this

Watch It Burn
Apr 8, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

A party...for cunts

I only announced to the world I’m trans last November (and to close family and friends a while before that) and to paraphrase Lloyd Bridges in Airplane it looks like I picked the wrong year / country to come out in.

What really sucks is I can’t go back. I am not that person anymore.

And to see this coming from from the supposed left wing (and yeah I know that’s not been accurate for a while) is just awful. I feel that I’m screwed and it looks like a heck a lot of other people are as well.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Watch It Burn posted:

I only announced to the world I’m trans last November (and to close family and friends a while before that) and to paraphrase Lloyd Bridges in Airplane it looks like I picked the wrong year / country to come out in.

What really sucks is I can’t go back. I am not that person anymore.

And to see this coming from from the supposed left wing (and yeah I know that’s not been accurate for a while) is just awful. I feel that I’m screwed and it looks like a heck a lot of other people are as well.

Sorry that you're stuck in a country run by and for cunts. If you ever consider moving then Ireland is currently a lot more tolerant to trans folk (but still, cunts everywhere).

Nevertheless, congrats on moving further towards a congruent and authentic version of yourself.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

My main thought is that as always it's a vague handwavey 'some single sex spaces,' which allows them to basically declare anywhere they like to be terfs-only.

Watch It Burn
Apr 8, 2009

Angepain posted:

Thanks, Cis Person! you've solved trans forever. there was no need to speak to a single trans person about this

Yeah, this. I know there’s not many trans people but you’d think they could scoop up a couple and ask them. If I was massively cynical I’d say it’s because they don’t give a poo poo or are deliberately sabotaging things.

I had my first appointment with a gender clinic in March. Was told a report would be sent in two weeks. So far I have no report and the gender clinic have no record if it being sent. But someone is definitely gonna call me back when they work out what’s going on.

(Spoiler: No one will call back.)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Aye, he did very good work over the years.

gently caress cancer btw.

Watch It Burn
Apr 8, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sorry that you're stuck in a country run by and for cunts. If you ever consider moving then Ireland is currently a lot more tolerant to trans folk (but still, cunts everywhere).

Nevertheless, congrats on moving further towards a congruent and authentic version of yourself.

Thank you :)

I’d move in an instant but I have a young son that I coparent. I’m gonna stay here and just transition out of spite :cheeky:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Watch It Burn posted:

Thank you :)

I’d move in an instant but I have a young son that I coparent. I’m gonna stay here and just transition out of spite :cheeky:

:respek:

Make sure to tell dickheads to gently caress off at every available opportunity

Watch It Burn
Apr 8, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

:respek:

Make sure to tell dickheads to gently caress off at every available opportunity

My twitter timeline is almost exclusively this lol

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Since what Labour is proposing is a change to the status quo, it's incumbent on them to explain how it would be implemented. Many women's shelters, for example, willingly accept trans women. If Labour came into power and said that wasn't allowed, even ignoring that most of them would find that morally indefensible, how would they check? Would they be obliged to vet every woman coming in? Would they be required to vet those already in there? What would this vetting actually involve? Labour can't and won't actually answer any of these questions

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Since what Labour is proposing is a change to the status quo, it's incumbent on them to explain how it would be implemented. Many women's shelters, for example, willingly accept trans women. If Labour came into power and said that wasn't allowed, even ignoring that most of them would find that morally indefensible, how would they check? Would they be obliged to vet every woman coming in? Would they be required to vet those already in there? What would this vetting actually involve? Labour can't and won't actually answer any of these questions

Unfortunately you've thought about this harder than anyone in the Shadow Cabinet, who is just going "read about this in the far right newspapers, must react"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think if the US is anything to go by it really does come down to mandatory genital inspections, to protect women, of course.