Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

HopperUK posted:

It was fuckin Matpat

Isn't he the same guy who later pissed off Toby fox because he kept making videos calling other games undertale - likes without naming them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
what is an undertale like lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

people attach the most overwrought readings to some of the most basic mass-market content imaginable

I played a little bit of this game and from what I could tell it was mostly about punching a bear in the head

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Oxxidation posted:

people attach the most overwrought readings to some of the most basic mass-market content imaginable

occ’s right, I said the exact same thing about Bonk

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

If the word “heckin’” appears in it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

I'm pretty sure Ragnarok was just about a bunch of people saying the word Prophecy over and and over

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I love games like norco, night in the woods and kentucky route zero but leftist/materialist “readings” of most stories suck because they never go further than “capitalism…is bad?” and “cooperation……is good???”

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
remember when kratos talked in all caps and ripped peoples heads off without long boring cutscenes

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Oxxidation posted:

It can be about all that and still be bad, just because there are layers doesn't make it good

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ominous Jazz posted:

It can be about all that and still be bad, just because there are layers doesn't make it good

YIIk

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Earthbound.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

nothin much what's an undertale like with you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Isn't he the same guy who later pissed off Toby fox because he kept making videos calling other games undertale - likes without naming them

it was just one and that was enough, toby called him out because he refused to credit the other game’s creator or iirc even mention the title and just kept blathering about undertale

toby fox is one of the most reclusive and elliptical people in game dev so getting rebuked by him is like a thunderbolt from on high

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

throwing all this triple aids in the trash and presenting ebert the pinnacle of gaming dead or alive beach volleyball
id genuinely rather play that than tlou2

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

everyone hop on yume nikki

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

this post refers to people's opinions on a game that came out a month before the post as 'revisionist history'

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

id genuinely rather play that than tlou2

any time someone says tlou 2 has good writing i just mentally make a note to ignore their opinions on writing forevermore

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

this post refers to people's opinions on a game that came out a month before the post as 'revisionist history'

peep the one before it lol

NieR Occomata posted:

Ragnarok is easily the most political game of this year, and it’s insane that a triple A game made by Sony of all companies can go fuckin so hard against lovely appeasement neoliberalism as political ideology and outright state that state-sponsored capitalism is simply another form of violence enacted on the people. Like it genuinely blew my loving mind that a video game about a bald angry man with a head on his belt could have more prescient and strident political worldviews than like 95% of the Democratic Party

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if mario was a bad guy no one would be able to stop him because he can jump really high and shoot fireballs and turn into a racoon among other animals

Once he gets that giant shoe, you’re hosed

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oxxidation posted:

gently caress yeah that's why I play AAA video games about Greek Gods killing people and being badass: commentary on American politics

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Oxxidation posted:

The Barbie movie has a very silly joke making fun of Zack Snyder fans (I haven't watched it but from what I understand a barbie who got hypnotized by a bunch of kens upon being woken up said "I was so invested in ensuring the Snyder cut is released!") and the cd Snyderdome had been very normal about it

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Yeah, I'm surprised this thread is acting like it's funny, honestly. I don't think it's a good thing for media to be equating the Snyder Cut to that incel movement and I don't think it being a dumb joke does anything to help it. See also The Bear, which had a character angrily decry "Incel, QAnon, 4chan, Snyder Cut motherfuckers." Sure, there's no point in getting mad about it because it's not going to change anything, but given the terrible level of 'discourse' around Snyder's work, the strength of the female characters in his works, and the fact that the drama that led to the Snyder Cut ultimately stemmed from his daughter's suicide, I think any joke of this calibre about it is in poor taste. Especially when the creatives are giving these 'tee hee, we're going to get so much flak'-level interviews about "calling out" the Snyder Cut fans. It turned me off from ever seeing the Barbie film, to be honest.

edit: TBQH, letting it pass by with wry nods of approval is basically endorsing the strain of thought that makes claims like: "The Snyder Cut fans, after all, have been very rabid online, which led to them bullying many folks in the creative industry to get Warner Bros. to release the Justice League vision Zack Snyder had. They hated what Joss Whedon did, which caused them to do things like petition, fly planes with signs demanding the cut and even review-bomb other movies such as Godzilla vs. Kong. The studio surprisingly conceded, giving Snyder additional funds to finish the job, but ironically, recent developments revealed the campaign was driven by bots."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lmao.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Lmao getting owned by the barbie movie

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

There are some weirdass parts of this forum. Who are these people writing the essays about mass media slop. The most surprising thing is these aren't coming from the very funny Media Literacy thread in D&D

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the sex ghost posted:

Lmao getting owned by the barbie movie

barbie is powerful

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

guy who was definitely going to see the barbie film

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

Sleng Teng posted:

Jesus Christ

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

There are some weirdass parts of this forum. Who are these people writing the essays about mass media slop. The most surprising thing is these aren't coming from the very funny Media Literacy thread in D&D

mass media stuff can have themes and even well executed ones but you have to approach it from the perspective of the constraints its working within rather than being its prophet here to spread the words of god of war ragnarok to the masses

but people are desperate for respect so god of war ragnarok cant just have a couple parallels to modern day politics it has to have the power to kill joe biden instantly

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 24, 2023

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Oxxidation posted:

I remember applying this same sort of approach to media from 2017 to 2019, this sort of "things I like have good politics and things I don't like have bad politics". Coincidentally I also remember being extremely miserable during that same time period and being unable to have coherent thoughts about media I consumed.

Posting about politics on the internet rots your brain.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Processing 9/11 through the lens of the Pulse l’Cie: Part I

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rea posted:

I remember applying this same sort of approach to media from 2017 to 2019, this sort of "things I like have good politics and things I don't like have bad politics". Coincidentally I also remember being extremely miserable during that same time period and being unable to have coherent thoughts about media I consumed.

:hai:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo its cool that the new gundam ended with a lesbian married couple without making a big deal of it in pressers or anything, its just a thing they did

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i say this as someone who has posted a lot about politics over the years: goons, not everything is about politics

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rea posted:

I remember when Fox News tried to claim that Dark Knight Rises was an attempt to sway the election by making Bane the villain, a clear and obvious reference to Mitt Romney's Bain Capital.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the barbie movie rules

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
watching star wars: the empire strikes back and reflecting, "this is definitely an allegory for how the democratic party struck back against bernie sanders"

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sleng Teng posted:

Play even one indie game, or heck just a AA game

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Endorph posted:

imo its cool that the new gundam ended with a lesbian married couple without making a big deal of it in pressers or anything, its just a thing they did

Is the new Gundam worth watching if you're not already familiar with other Gundam series? I'm very slowly working through G Gundam on the recommendation of a friend but I've been told that's very different from Gundam's usual fare.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

pentyne posted:

I remember when Fox News tried to claim that Dark Knight Rises was an attempt to sway the election by making Bane the villain, a clear and obvious reference to Mitt Romney's Bain Capital.

Lol because the movie ends with Batman and a bunch of cops literally saving Wall Street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Like half the games in the ps showcase this summer had some incredibly superficial "late capitalism!!" aesthetics so I think that is super over and capitalism is now good