Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dicey Dungeons didn't really click with me on Switch, but wow is it incredible on mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Dicey Dungeons didn't really click with me on Switch, but wow is it incredible on mobile.

Tbh I find this is true with most roguelikes. When I sit down to play a game on a console or PC I want to play a game through, and having frequent restarts takes me out of it. But with mobile, where you inherently are playing for short periods with frequent interruptions, it works far better. I've liked Slay the Spire a lot more on mobile and there is no way I'd actually sit down and play Luck Be A Landlord on PC.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

CuddleCryptid posted:

Do more slots items unlock as you advance in Luck Be A Landlord? I'm on level 6 now and it kind of feels like I've seen most of them already

I hope something comes along to evolve the game because while I see a lot of synergies, I don’t feel like the floors have enough payments for me to go for a lot of them. Maybe that’s what Endless is for or is that what Essences help do? I am on like floor 5 right now and it’s getting very samey.

It just doesn’t seem like I could easily build towards a lot of them as I need a few particular drops to occur. I am almost always building around mining as it seems like theres a few rares that boost it vs other stuff that seem like they need a particular rare and or a particular item. Then I just fill in around that with smaller synergies IE arrows. I have tried other stuff but it just seems way less consistent and or has a weak beginning or weak end.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

I've liked Slay the Spire a lot more on mobile and there is no way I'd actually sit down and play Luck Be A Landlord on PC.

Realistic compromise: Steam deck

:getin:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Realistic compromise: Steam deck

:getin:

Same though, I have one and it's not something that's as easy to pick up and set down as my phone, especially seeing that the thing is *loving gigantic*

Hand Row posted:

I hope something comes along to evolve the game because while I see a lot of synergies, I don’t feel like the floors have enough payments for me to go for a lot of them. Maybe that’s what Endless is for or is that what Essences help do? I am on like floor 5 right now and it’s getting very samey.

It just doesn’t seem like I could easily build towards a lot of them as I need a few particular drops to occur. I am almost always building around mining as it seems like theres a few rares that boost it vs other stuff that seem like they need a particular rare and or a particular item. Then I just fill in around that with smaller synergies IE arrows. I have tried other stuff but it just seems way less consistent and or has a weak beginning or weak end.

It's helpful if you stack +luck items to get more rares in order to get builders like Ms. Fruit and Geologist earlier, and to get better items. But ultimately a lot of it comes down to, yknow, luck and a lot of times you have to build a supply of consumables that often doesn't pay off because you don't roll what you need. Curses and cultists are especially vulnerable to this because you need some things to make them do more than break even a lot of times.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 22, 2023

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Hand Row posted:

I unlocked essences and they are most definitely a big shift. They give you access to altered, temporary forms of many of the rarer upgrades with some conditions attached.

Also, having reached my tenth win, I just killed my landlord by shooting him full of arrows, which is nice.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Having played a lot of Luck be a Landlord on PC, a large part of the strategy requires learning what synergies can be reliably assembled early on. Monkeys + food, dwarves + rocks, that kind of thing. You then either hope to roll those directly into a stronger version of themselves or get something that scales hard enough to end the game with. Lots of runs do just come down to luck but you can improve your odds significantly based on game knowledge. And yeah, items that consume themselves or improve luck are really, really good.

Game is most fun when you go for stuff like the "have 13 cats on the board" essence instead of playing optimally imo. Just have to accept losing more often. Lots of stuff is surprisingly viable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are there any good turn-based strategy or tactics games?
I've already played too mich XCOM.

I wouldn't even mind a gacha game, except in my experience they're all piss easy which gets boring quick.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Hello thread, is there a tower defense game that you could recommend. Not bothered about having to pay for it but I don't want a million in app purchases.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

notaspy posted:

Hello thread, is there a tower defense game that you could recommend. Not bothered about having to pay for it but I don't want a million in app purchases.

The Bloons one on the last few pages is the one to get probably. I'm on my phone at work so can't look it up easily. GL

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

The Bloons one on the last few pages is the one to get probably. I'm on my phone at work so can't look it up easily. GL

Perfect, thank you

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I wouldn't even mind a gacha game, except in my experience they're all piss easy which gets boring quick.

Final Fantasy Tactics is on there. Plus, if you have a Netflix subscription, you can download Into the Breach. I don't actually know if it's available otherwise.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Jack Trades posted:

Templar Battleforce came up a few pages ago. I didn't get deep into it, but it's pulling pretty hard from Xcom.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

notaspy posted:

I'm enjoying Isle of Arrows. It's by one of the leads from the Lara Croft/Hitman/Deus Ex Go games. It shows in the art especially.

Silius
Apr 24, 2010

notaspy posted:

Definitely
Dungeon Warfare 2 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=valsar.dungeonwarfare2

Or

Isle of Arrows like mentioned above.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gridpop.isleofarrowsandroid

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Been playing luck be a landlord nonstop, and it is hitting my adhd need insanely. Ive been hyperfixated on this drat game and its so much fun . Is there a writeup of all the symbols and their interactions?

Silius
Apr 24, 2010

fyallm posted:

Been playing luck be a landlord nonstop, and it is hitting my adhd need insanely. Ive been hyperfixated on this drat game and its so much fun . Is there a writeup of all the symbols and their interactions?

Same. Been playing every chance I get since it dropped! Check out the fandom site, steam guides has a bunch of stuff too. https://luck-be-a-landlord.fandom.com/wiki/Luck_be_a_Landlord_Wiki

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been playing it a bunch too. Game's really fun and perfect for the phone.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
"Just how good can a little slot machine game really be?"

An hour and a half later... "gently caress."

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got lucky in a game just now where I managed to get a Pirate, 3 king midas, 3 hex of midas, 3 wildcards and basically every turn the pirate is getting buffed. He's up to +300 now, and the wildcards are usually nearby too giving the same amount. It's very fun when you land on a powerful combo and are able to whittle your set down to exactly what is needed to make it flat out broken.

Edit: the item that lets you swap two symbols after every spin is really friggin good.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 24, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

If you want to clear a level in LBAL then mining really seems the way to go, since the Amethyst + Dame combo is unbeatable, but once you unlock essences the game really does open up. I beat my last level with just omlettes by thousands of gold.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Are there any good survivors style games with shorter rounds (like, max 15 minutes)? I like the format but Vampires and Magic both run much longer than really fits into my day.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Early days, but I just had an absurd combo of Ms Fruit and a farmer and a monkey and a bunch of fruit triggering over and over that netted me 675 coins. I like this game.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Deformed Church posted:

Are there any good survivors style games with shorter rounds (like, max 15 minutes)? I like the format but Vampires and Magic both run much longer than really fits into my day.

20 Minutes Till Dawn, but you have to aim where you shoot in that one. Also, in Vampire Survivors you unlock 2x speed fairly quickly, bringing the time down to 15 minutes.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

If you want to clear a level in LBAL then mining really seems the way to go, since the Amethyst + Dame combo is unbeatable, but once you unlock essences the game really does open up. I beat my last level with just omlettes by thousands of gold.

I just unlocked essences and they're great. Somehow ended up with Watermelons worth "x4" and just cruised to victory in a fruit cup.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kris xK posted:

I just unlocked essences and they're great. Somehow ended up with Watermelons worth "x4" and just cruised to victory in a fruit cup.

Is there a way to get any significant amount of watermelons other than getting fertilizer and a shitload of seeds? Slotting them into Very Rare makes synergy with them pretty tricky, especially when their perk wants you to get multiples.

Silius
Apr 24, 2010

Deformed Church posted:

Brotato is for youuuuuu

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is there a way to get any significant amount of watermelons other than getting fertilizer and a shitload of seeds? Slotting them into Very Rare makes synergy with them pretty tricky, especially when their perk wants you to get multiples.

There was another essence that gave +2 Watermelons.

It was a pretty God run, so I'll be chasing that dragon for a while.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

End of LBAL

Is there any way to turn the rent back on after you defeat the landlord? It just goes into zero rent mode now and that's boring. I was hoping endless mode would be climbing ever higher survival mode.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

explosivo posted:

Got lucky in a game just now where I managed to get a Pirate, 3 king midas, 3 hex of midas, 3 wildcards and basically every turn the pirate is getting buffed. He's up to +300 now, and the wildcards are usually nearby too giving the same amount. It's very fun when you land on a powerful combo and are able to whittle your set down to exactly what is needed to make it flat out broken.

Edit: the item that lets you swap two symbols after every spin is really friggin good.

I tried to copy you, but never got a pirate... Thank God for the 2x Triple Coin essence otherwise I would have drowned in coins.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I liked LBAL but it feels like the game ends just as it gets interesting, and it takes a hair too long to get there.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

I liked LBAL but it feels like the game ends just as it gets interesting, and it takes a hair too long to get there.

I really wish we got an item at the beginning.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Kris xK posted:

I really wish we got an item at the beginning.

Speaking as a gamedev, this is awkward to implement. If you add a choice of two at the start, you have actually created a terrible UI for picking the perfect item (since you can restart 20 times until it is offered)

If you make it a choice of 4 preset options, players will figure out the best one and only ever pick that.

I should get lbal on mobile, I enjoyed it on PC!

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

CuddleCryptid posted:

End of LBAL

Is there any way to turn the rent back on after you defeat the landlord? It just goes into zero rent mode now and that's boring. I was hoping endless mode would be climbing ever higher survival mode.

I was like man this guy is really good and go thru the game quick.... but now I just got tonthe end :( nooo

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Tann posted:

Speaking as a gamedev, this is awkward to implement. If you add a choice of two at the start, you have actually created a terrible UI for picking the perfect item (since you can restart 20 times until it is offered)

Didn't you solve that in Slice & Dice by just keeping the random options the same until you actually play the game?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Just had the stupidest run in lbal

Got an early thief and lots of thief upgrades, monkies, seeds, etc, and not a single banana. I went the whole game without a way to pop that fuckin thief.

Overall it was a terrible run and I don't know how I made it to the final round. I just barely made rent and went into it with about 20 coins and no chance of actually winning. Then the game gifted me a midas bomb, which of course blew up the thief for about 7.5k

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
First roll of the next game gives me both a banana peel and a bounty hunter

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
holy gently caress this game is like crack

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Renegret posted:

First roll of the next game gives me both a banana peel and a bounty hunter

Haha i swear its coded to do that exact thing. When i lose a run the the first symbols are all the ones i didnt take last run that i saw tons of and it fails epically, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Just tried the Peglin demo and it's really nice, a StS styled Peggle. Is the full game balanced or interesting enough for a purchase?