Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

AARD VARKMAN posted:

i stopped reading the trump thread and my brains got better real quick, highly recommended

same but for all the politics poo poo. but anyway people like it.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

this is why i banned posting tweets from twitter nobodies in the cspam musk thread it made the thread much more readable when it stopped being full of goons working themselves into a frenzy over some nobody no one cared about

probably a good policy but then i fear the Other Politics stuff would have no where to go and spill out into more threads and pollute gbs further. good for it to be a containment zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

this is why i banned posting tweets from twitter nobodies in the cspam musk thread it made the thread much more readable when it stopped being full of goons working themselves into a frenzy over some nobody no one cared about

This seems like it would be prudent, like nothing against the guy who dumps a bunch of cut and paste quotes from The Donald or whatever but I’m already surrounded by these fuckfaces In Real Life, I don’t feel like gawping at the zoo animals to get angry fits what the thread is supposed to be: posting every time you LOL that Donald trump is isolated and lashing out

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

AARD VARKMAN posted:

i stopped reading the trump thread and my brains got better real quick, highly recommended

reboot the thread and implement these simple rules

dont link to twitter nobodies or reddit nobides
dont link to your own tweets about you owning the twitter nobodies in their replies
shitpost about the president and post funny things or talk about things he is doing stop getting mad at random republicans who arent funny

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

dont link to your own tweets about you owning the twitter nobodies in their replies
shitpost about the president and post funny things or talk about things he is doing stop getting mad at random republicans who arent funny

and make 16bbh ik of it :troll:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't think a particular thread really needs to be lenient on a particular kind of problematic or self-destructive post to be a containment zone, people are unlikely to branch out of their bookmarks so they tend to contain themselves.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

and make 16bbh ik of it :troll:

being made ik of that thread is how i ended up a gbs mod. curse someone with that only at their peril

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

tell astral to get rid of twitter embeds and probably 2/3rds of the mock thread issues will disappear

the barrier to copy/paste a url is too low compared to taking a screenshot and uploading

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Bad Purchase posted:

tell astral to get rid of twitter embeds and probably 2/3rds of the mock thread issues will disappear

elons working on it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Bismack Billabongo posted:

This seems like it would be prudent, like nothing against the guy who dumps a bunch of cut and paste quotes from The Donald or whatever but I’m already surrounded by these fuckfaces In Real Life, I don’t feel like gawping at the zoo animals to get angry fits what the thread is supposed to be: posting every time you LOL that Donald trump is isolated and lashing out

this is why i stopped reading the trump thread it stopped being about the misadventures of donald trump instead of posting disgusting tweets and reddit posts to provoke an angry reaction which isnt really healthy for a thread that should be cathartic to post in

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 24, 2023

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Bad Purchase posted:

the barrier to copy/paste a url is too low compared to taking a screenshot and uploading

:yeah:

tweets X's in most threads are usually boring garbage because twitter X.com is pretty much a website entirely dedicated to posting boring garbage.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

AARD VARKMAN posted:

ignorance truly is bliss

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Bad Purchase posted:

One would think but since twitter has become what it is now people are doing the screenshot thing a lot. Idk, I don’t think the thread is hurting anything the way it is but it’s, well, Fail. In my opinion.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I don’t have pms but maybe we could try to get that threads ik in here to discuss that? Sorry if all this has been beaten into the ground

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Okay, I can see your point. I'm not in the US so I don't really have to worry about meeting these idiots in the real world (most of the time) but if I was trying to laugh at dumb politics I'd find it very hard if I was constantly bombarded by nonsense from Irish Freedom Party/Brexiteers/DUP or whatever.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

What about linking to funny tweets?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Valko posted:

If you can find one

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Valko posted:

define funny because most of the time its just someone linking to someone else saying something awful to get mad at or ben shapiro

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Make me IK of the the nu trump thread. I will depose haljordan and kill god.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

leave it up to random lot imo

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

define funny because most of the time its just someone linking to someone else saying something awful to get mad at or ben shapiro

Ben Shapiro is a comedic genius, though totally by accident.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Valko posted:

Ben Shapiro is a comedic genius, though totally by accident.

Oh?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

this is why i stopped reading the trump thread it stopped being about the misadventures of donald trump instead of posting disgusting tweets and reddit posts to provoke an angry reaction which isnt really healthy for a thread that should be cathartic to post in

A little while back someone posted a random right wing news article speculation on if Costco was going to stop carrying bud light because it "went woke" to the Costco thread. I don't know why people think they're doing a public service by telling everybody all the latest right wing propaganda but I think the mods should tell people to take it down a bit.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
a lot of people just aren't into politics all that much so they don't really realize how droll that poo poo gets after a while, like no I do not need to see ben shapiro's opinion about barbie. of course I already know what it's going to be, so did he before he saw the movie, if he even actually watched it. it's not new, interesting or entertaining. yeah, some rear end in a top hat is saying some dumb poo poo to get people to respond to it and share it and comment on it getting all mad. ho hum. who cares.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Politics is literally the stupidest poo poo in the universe. Anyone who reads or posts about that poo poo needs like serious brain help. Like a team of shrinks.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

rodbeard posted:

A little while back someone posted a random right wing news article speculation on if Costco was going to stop carrying bud light because it "went woke" to the Costco thread. I don't know why people think they're doing a public service by telling everybody all the latest right wing propaganda but I think the mods should tell people to take it down a bit.

Because its funny to laugh at how insane the right wing are? People aren't linking like "guns 4 jesus provides evidence that christ would of shot Pontius Pilate if only he had a gun" rightwing scare stories because they agree with them, its becsuse its funny to laugh at the ridiculous claims and premises the nutters lay out.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Literally A Person posted:

Politics is literally the stupidest poo poo in the universe. Anyone who reads or posts about that poo poo needs like serious brain help. Like a team of shrinks.

I like you, buddy - but sometimes there is no escaping it. Not everyone can just ignore it because that would be a stupid, irresponsible and dangerous thing to do. I mean, I seen my dad being taken away for weeks at time to be interrogated by the police simply for the crime of being a successful catholic buisinessman in N. Ireland. And there are people on these forums who grew up in far more dangerous places than I did - Ukraine being the most obvious example.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Stand by my statement. Electroshock, straight-jackets, nurse ratchet, all that poo poo.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

Because its funny to laugh at how insane the right wing are? People aren't linking like "guns 4 jesus provides evidence that christ would of shot Pontius Pilate if only he had a gun" rightwing scare stories because they agree with them, its becsuse its funny to laugh at the ridiculous claims and premises the nutters lay out.

Some threads - perhaps even most threads - don't have to be about their subject's tangential connection to a front of the "culture war" or dropping sick burns on chuds that they'll never read. It's ok. The forums can survive if you don't post a tweet from Ben Shapiro in a Warhammer thread because "Lol, he's mad the minis are bigger than him" or a Prager U video in a thread about the best condiments for hot dogs.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

ban the word chud

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Valko posted:

I like you, buddy - but sometimes there is no escaping it. Not everyone can just ignore it because that would be a stupid, irresponsible and dangerous thing to do. I mean, I seen my dad being taken away for weeks at time to be interrogated by the police simply for the crime of being a successful catholic buisinessman in N. Ireland. And there are people on these forums who grew up in far more dangerous places than I did - Ukraine being the most obvious example.

yeah but nothing of any value is gained by paying attention to interaction-farming dipshit reactionaries who literally sit around thinking of what take they can post to get people to respond, like, comment, etc. they are not real people, they do not have real opinions, they don't believe what they're saying and at most, posts from such people should be quarantined to their own thread if people really want to talk about them

there's a difference between ignoring politics and ignoring people like ben shapiro or random 5k follower twitter accounts with hot takes, and I don't mean just rightwing accounts either. leftist or centrist 'influencers' do the same poo poo and are exactly as worthless

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

teemolover42069 posted:

there's a difference between ignoring politics and ignoring people like ben shapiro or random 5k follower twitter accounts with hot takes, and I don't mean just rightwing accounts either. leftist or centrist 'influencers' do the same poo poo and are exactly as worthless

of course, there's plenty of people here that don't get that distinction too

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Drone_Fragger posted:

It's become extremely less funny than it was a decade ago, and I don't think mild online slapfights will change that

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

It's become extremely less funny than it was a decade ago, and I don't think mild online slapfights will change that

Fair. Perhaps we need a "laugh at hot takes / chuds / "influencers"" megathread and banish all that stuff there and then leave the big wet orange president thread for discussing trump? Clearly some people find it funny so "BAN IT!!!!" seems like an overeach.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Drone_Fragger posted:

Fair. Perhaps we need a "laugh at hot takes / chuds / "influencers"" megathread and banish all that stuff there and then leave the big wet orange president thread for discussing trump? Clearly some people find it funny so "BAN IT!!!!" seems like an overeach.

I don't read those threads so I guess I wouldn't know, but I thought we did have threads for this? like rightwing media / CUM warriors or whatever? I kinda just use bookmarks so I dunno if they're still around

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

teemolover42069 posted:

I don't read those threads so I guess I wouldn't know, but I thought we did have threads for this? like rightwing media / CUM warriors or whatever? I kinda just use bookmarks so I dunno if they're still around

this thread was moved to cspam and it got so bad it had to be gassed. mock threads like that wear their welcome out fast and once they run out of things to laugh about they start scraping the bottom of the barrel for content and end up eating themselves

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Solid feedback team, keep it up.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

My feedback is everything is good, everyone is enjoying themselves, don’t change poo poo

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Toxic Mental posted:

My feedback is everything is good, everyone is enjoying themselves, don’t change poo poo

No no no you see they don't like the thread and they want it to follow the same rules as other similar threads in other forums.

What are you, being deliberately obtuse?

*Shakes head*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Toxic Mental posted: