Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Tea Party Crasher posted:

That is a gorgeous loaf. You've convinced me to buy one

Awesome, I've been having a lot of fun with it!

This one was part seed mix and white and it came out super tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Had fun making a dutch oven version of the standard loaf from Evolutions in Bread. Scaled it up about 25% so it was a bit over 1kg baked in the end.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

my loaves are coming out gorgeous and well-risen and blistered but i still end up with a little bit of softness in the crust after it cools lately, and i wonder if i'm not proofing my dough correctly. how wide is the sweet spot between underproofed and overproofed? how precisely do i have to time getting it in the oven?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
You mean like you can give the load a nice little Pillsbury Doughboy poke and it'll dimple? How thick is th crust?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

A little underproofed, but delicious for a first attempt! I'll go thinner next time.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You mean like you can give the load a nice little Pillsbury Doughboy poke and it'll dimple? How thick is th crust?

my hearth loaves tend to have thicker crusts than i'd like actually. i'm not sure how to get them thinner but it'd be way easier on my teeth if i could!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Nettle Soup posted:

I bought a pullman tin. Pretty good!

Has anyone tried a sourdough in one of these?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

tuyop posted:

Has anyone tried a sourdough in one of these?

I have. But just the smaller sized Pullman.

You just need a recipe that has enough mass to rise up above the pan and it should work.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
That is a thing of beauty!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
In weird bread news, I've been using dehydrated shitake mushrooms a lot recently, and looked at the water used after rehydrating them and thought "I could make bread with that". It worked! this bread tastes of mushrooms, but I hate it.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Yea rehydrated mushroom water bread does not sound good to me

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Mr. Squishy posted:

In weird bread news, I've been using dehydrated shitake mushrooms a lot recently, and looked at the water used after rehydrating them and thought "I could make bread with that". It worked! this bread tastes of mushrooms, but I hate it.

They like to say you can use that water in soups and stuff, but I'm sorry, it never tastes good. Just chuck it. I'm thrifty and don't like throwing out stuff that can be used, but I just can't use it for anything good.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
What about black bean water for bread?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

beerinator posted:

I have. But just the smaller sized Pullman.

You just need a recipe that has enough mass to rise up above the pan and it should work.

I love this little square bread. :allears:

The shitake mushroom water is great as braising liquid and makes a good sauce.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mauser posted:

What about black bean water for bread?

Depends how much you like the taste of beans

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The mushroom bread leads some interesting complexities when toasted and served with butter and marmite - or maybe I just can't taste it much anymore.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Mushroom water is fantastic for risotto and polenta! Anything that benefits from a strong umami flavor.

I’ve been using Ken Forkish’s overnight White/Wheat straight doughs as my weekly bread, since I let my levain die and haven’t made the effort to restart it.

They taste pretty great, without the complexity of wild yeast bread. It benefits a lot to add something with strong flavor, like a bit of einkorn, spelt or rye.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Power Walrus posted:

Mushroom water is fantastic for risotto and polenta! Anything that benefits from a strong umami flavor.

I’ve been using Ken Forkish’s overnight White/Wheat straight doughs as my weekly bread, since I let my levain die and haven’t made the effort to restart it.

They taste pretty great, without the complexity of wild yeast bread. It benefits a lot to add something with strong flavor, like a bit of einkorn, spelt or rye.

That sounds basically like a no knead, right? I like using flours with eg malted seeds for the extra flavour.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
My wife has switched to gluten free and she's jonesing for some bread. I'm a novice baker so I figured I'd ask if there's any GF flour opinions in this thread, or tips for what brands work well versus don't. If there's somewhere better to ask, just point me in the right direction.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have been trying to bake on my balcony. Even bought a propane oven that can fit a Dutch oven!

https://i.imgur.com/vwMVyor.mp4

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Chakan posted:

My wife has switched to gluten free and she's jonesing for some bread. I'm a novice baker so I figured I'd ask if there's any GF flour opinions in this thread, or tips for what brands work well versus don't. If there's somewhere better to ask, just point me in the right direction.

I'm a huge King Arthur stan, however I'll admit that I've had more success with Bob's Red Mill. What you're looking for is "Gluten-free All Purpose Flour", not GF 1-to-1 baking flour. The latter is more intended for batters, and includes a preset amount of xanthan gum. For bread and other bread-like doughs, you want the "all-purpose", but you'll have to supply your own xanthan gum as well. (It's not that hard to find.)

The rules of thumb are that you want the dough to be significantly wetter than regular dough, and usually also bake it somewhat longer and/or higher temp. Shaping the dough is the biggest challenge. Because it's so wet, you generally just let it rise in the container you're baking it in, or at least the shape. (In other words, the rise and proof are a single phase; you don't rise, shape, proof.) You may end up wanting to get specialized pans, depending on what shapes you're going for. Doing stuff like pretzels & bagels is possible, but it's always a bit of a battle. If you get it the same unbaked consistency as normal dough, the end result will probably be way too dry. (Oh, you kind of also need a stand mixer too, for the same reason.)

Of course, this may be further complicated by the fact that I also can't use milk or eggs when I'm doing GF stuff, since it's for my kids who are allergic to all 3. I know there are some GF flours/recipes that use those ingredients, and that may make it easier.

If I may do a tiny bit of self-promotion, I wrote a blog post covering this info here. I've also got a bread recipe which has worked pretty well for me; in fact, I just used it today for the first time in a while.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 4, 2023

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
King Arthur makes a loaf pan that's narrower with taller sides to help gluten free loaves rise a bit better, so that may be something to look at too.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

That sounds basically like a no knead, right? I like using flours with eg malted seeds for the extra flavour.

It’s similar to a no-knead, yes! Breads in Flour Water Salt Yeast and Tartine are very high hydration. So instead of kneading, you keep it in a tub or bowl and give it gentle folds and turns every so often, to build gluten strength. They’re very easy recipes that only require some time planning, as most of them benefit from an overnight proofing.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm a huge King Arthur stan, however I'll admit that I've had more success with Bob's Red Mill. What you're looking for is "Gluten-free All Purpose Flour", not GF 1-to-1 baking flour. The latter is more intended for batters, and includes a preset amount of xanthan gum. For bread and other bread-like doughs, you want the "all-purpose", but you'll have to supply your own xanthan gum as well. (It's not that hard to find.)

The rules of thumb are that you want the dough to be significantly wetter than regular dough, and usually also bake it somewhat longer and/or higher temp. Shaping the dough is the biggest challenge. Because it's so wet, you generally just let it rise in the container you're baking it in, or at least the shape. (In other words, the rise and proof are a single phase; you don't rise, shape, proof.) You may end up wanting to get specialized pans, depending on what shapes you're going for. Doing stuff like pretzels & bagels is possible, but it's always a bit of a battle. If you get it the same unbaked consistency as normal dough, the end result will probably be way too dry. (Oh, you kind of also need a stand mixer too, for the same reason.)

Of course, this may be further complicated by the fact that I also can't use milk or eggs when I'm doing GF stuff, since it's for my kids who are allergic to all 3. I know there are some GF flours/recipes that use those ingredients, and that may make it easier.

If I may do a tiny bit of self-promotion, I wrote a blog post covering this info here. I've also got a bread recipe which has worked pretty well for me; in fact, I just used it today for the first time in a while.

it looks kinda like soda bread batter, doesn't it? can you get more fermented flavour by letting the "dough" cold proof in the fridge for a day or two? is it possible to make a gluten-free sourdough starter?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

The suggestion to follow tartine bread, the book, has been very helpful for me!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

Thank you and the other folks discussing this, it's lot for me to chew through and I appreciate it!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

EightFlyingCars posted:

it looks kinda like soda bread batter, doesn't it? can you get more fermented flavour by letting the "dough" cold proof in the fridge for a day or two? is it possible to make a gluten-free sourdough starter?

I've heard of such things, I haven't really tried it much myself though. I've already got a wheat sourdough starter that I use every week, so I guess I haven't wanted to add that extra thing to take care of.

It definitely is reminiscent of soda bread. I've found that GF soda bread is pretty close to the real thing, I guess because neither of them have tons of gluten development.

Also, this week I tried making semolina bread for the first time, and had a similar realization. It's actually quite a bit like GF dough. Still a little easier to work with though.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

The suggestion to follow tartine bread, the book, has been very helpful for me!

Hell yeah these look so good!! Tartine Bread was my first foray into levain bread, it’s a really great book and a great recipe.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think what my wife wants most from bread is basically hamburger bun shapes. I figure I should just get a hamburger bun pan or something. Any recommendations? There's a ton of them. I think I'd want something I could put in a WFO so no silicone nor teflon-style non-stick.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think what my wife wants most from bread is basically hamburger bun shapes. I figure I should just get a hamburger bun pan or something. Any recommendations? There's a ton of them. I think I'd want something I could put in a WFO so no silicone nor teflon-style non-stick.

I bought this recently but haven't had a chance to try it yet. It could work.

https://shop.kingarthurbaking.com/items/king-arthur-hamburger-bun-and-mini-pie-pan

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
That King Arthur pan is awesome but it has non-stick silicone coating on it. (And it works very well; pies and buns come out very easily.)

May see what you can find at a restaurant supply store. Those tend to have a wider selection of bare-metal specialty pans.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcsVSNRi2xY

I haven't tried it, but this video looks good. I really should get some crumpet rings.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Nettle Soup posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcsVSNRi2xY

I haven't tried it, but this video looks good. I really should get some crumpet rings.

Yeah I am down with YouTube's Bread Winnie the Pooh. I am considering rings too because I can launch them from a peel into a WFO. It just depends on the dough. I found out the ones my wife really liked were considered as pain au lait and I have to look up how unruly they are.

Edit: drat that type of dough is pretty dry. I wouldn't bother with containing it at all except that it makes for nice soft areas to cut or pull apart.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 13, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I made the olive bread from Tartine.

We also made a couple flatbreads but I don’t have photos of those. The moisture from the olives really turned the crust and crumb soft overnight. The crumb itself is really more of a custard. The bread tastes a bit sour but the strong flavour of the olives and the nuttiness of the walnuts is actually quite balanced.

Next I want to do a raisin cinnamon oat version.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah I am down with YouTube's Bread Winnie the Pooh. I am considering rings too because I can launch them from a peel into a WFO. It just depends on the dough. I found out the ones my wife really liked were considered as pain au lait and I have to look up how unruly they are.

Edit: drat that type of dough is pretty dry. I wouldn't bother with containing it at all except that it makes for nice soft areas to cut or pull apart.

Rings are for making big Mac burgs without having to sacrifice two

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Rings are for making big Mac burgs without having to sacrifice two

Would that depend on how much dough you slap in a ring?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Getting back into baking after a break for a while because I was busy with my new dog

Made this thicc boy

And the dog tax

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Dacap posted:

Getting back into baking after a break for a while because I was busy with my new dog

Made this thicc boy

If you posted audio of a fork running across that crust, I think this thread would gain sentience and take over the world.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If you posted audio of a fork running across that crust, I think this thread would gain sentience and take over the world.

#forkdontlie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Would that depend on how much dough you slap in a ring?

Well, yeah, but they're a solution that prevents too wide of a bun with that much dough