Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

StratGoatCom posted:

I frankly disagree, it's entirely possible for it to hit a point where it spins out; and remember, things will fall apart slowly until major inflection points are hit, then it won't be slow at all.

What inflection points will those be though? It isn't that life won't get worse for Americans, if anything it got quite a bit worse in the last 12-18 months, but the institutions that control America aren't going anywhere. Greece suffered terribly from austerity and still does, it didn't mean there was a revolution, because it just ate it and grumbled a bit.

The stock market has no basis in reality, is completely overvalued, volume is low etc etc. It doesn't mean it will crash.

Something can be a horrific mockery, be completely inefficient, and still trudge forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

aw frig aw dang it posted:

is this thread always like this

Yes. Be glad it isn't Pittsburgh talk

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

this is the good phase, in the bad phase people will be discussing tier 3 american city house prices and how much the hotdogs at their favorite mall costs

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
There was that one time where people were talking about how much pizzas cost.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Nah. It is real slow now. A lot of news doesn't get posted or discussed anymore.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

Nah. It is real slow now. A lot of news doesn't get posted or discussed anymore.

I’m waiting for the Feds rate cut. posting debt is too expensive to squander right now

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/adobes-figma-deal-faces-full-scale-eu-antitrust-probe-sources-say-2023-07-24/

On Figma, balls in the EU's court.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Xaris posted:

I’m waiting for the Feds rate cut. posting debt is too expensive to squander right now

It may happen, especially if Brent stays above 82, that is enough of an increase over the spring, to get a little further bump of inflation out of it. The Saudis are actually brute forcing things their way for now.

Otherwise, there are things out there that don't make any sense, but no one talks about like US bonds/CD yields are actually higher than most corporate bonds at this point. There is always a risk with corporate bonds, so what is making up the difference?

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
anyway to answer all the questions and predictions about american economic collapse, it already happened 15 years ago. we're just riding out the consequences. if you're wondering when you, the fat computer programmer who has more action figures than friends, will see the pinch the answer is that you really wont

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

There is no world in which figma is worth 20 billion dollars so killing that deal would be a huge giveaway to adobe to stop them from being so loving stupid. Or it gets approved and adobe execs make a poo poo ton of money. Cest la vie

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

croup coughfield posted:

anyway to answer all the questions and predictions about american economic collapse, it already happened 15 years ago. we're just riding out the consequences. if you're wondering when you, the fat computer programmer who has more action figures than friends, will see the pinch the answer is that you really wont

That is, it won't affect you if you and your dependents/family stay totally healthy, or at least die quickly.

If anything goes wrong, you're on the way to destitution as the safety nets have been turned to jagged rocks.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

skooma512 posted:

That is, it won't affect you if you and your dependents/family stay totally healthy, or at least die quickly.

If anything goes wrong, you're on the way to destitution as the safety nets have been turned to jagged rocks.

that happens now, which is my point

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
though again, it doesnt happen to fat six figgy hamburger boyz

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

croup coughfield posted:

that's right

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

croup coughfield posted:

that happens now, which is my point

Agreed, but the margin for error is getting slimmer and slimmer.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
heavens forfend the anime elite have to live like the rest of us. collapse!

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

skooma512 posted:

One: some of us aren't American computer touchers.

2, there's no such thing as total immunity to reality; sooner or later, the plates will not spin, and we're already seeing the AI bubble for one thing about to careen off the pole sooner or later just for one. That it even happened is a sign that that poo poo is careening out, as even the media intended for the money has more or less said.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

croup coughfield posted:

though again, it doesnt happen to fat six figgy hamburger boyz

Six figures don't go like they used to in a lot of places, eventually even computer programmers will feel the pinch. It is just how the system works.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

croup coughfield posted:

heavens forfend the anime elite have to live like the rest of us. collapse!

they're going to make hamburgers out of you before that happens

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

The thread is basically better when the economy is worse, because then there's news to discuss and events to analyze and such. Right now everything is, if not fine, the same level of bad it's consistently been for a while now, so all there is to do is bitch about mods and watch PFC fish for negative attention by bragging to marxists about landlording.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

Ardennes posted:

Six figures don't go like they used to in a lot of places, eventually even computer programmers will feel the pinch. It is just how the system works.

lol

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

Zodium posted:

they're going to make hamburgers out of you before that happens

i hope they do. tainted meat

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

dude why are you even here? stop being corny

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

Taima posted:

i read it to laugh at dipshits like you

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

figma balls

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Taima posted:

His entire gimmick is either repeating introductory marxist theory in his own thread or making GBS threads up any other thread on the subforum, often showing his total rear end in any subject that isn't cod marxism. Worst call fluffdaddy made in a long time was chickening out on a year ban for him.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

croup coughfield posted:

i read it to laugh at dipshits like you

I hope you figure out whatever is going wrong, good luck.

e: ah word thanks Strat

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

skooma512 posted:

On Figma, balls

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Croup isn't saying anything that is different from what has been said or agreed upon a million times.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

StratGoatCom posted:

His entire gimmick is either repeating introductory marxist theory in his own thread or making GBS threads up any other thread on the site, often showing his total rear end in any subject that isn't cod marxism. Worst call fluffdaddy made in a long time was chickening out on a year ban for him.

keep doing your grounding exercises

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

croup coughfield posted:

ok so this is an interesting point to discuss.

why do you think america is in an end of history phase? why assume a Fukuyama state?

theres plenty of goons ITT that aren’t computer touchers: hoot works in a factory, skull.gif works as a restaurant bus boy, Willa does CPA stuff, In Training works at a theater attendant, and I work as a civil servant in public sector for infrastructure

but even so, why assume all the twitter face bookers are completely inoculated in an end of history bubble boy bubble? that’s very liberal and anti Marxist

the imperial core is eating itself and the premium consumer must be consumed too

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
I can generally agree with this as someone who has a basically infinity-budget setup... dedicated pc home theater gaming room, sitting 4 to 5 feet from a 65 inch QD-OLED with a 4090 so I'm always at native 4K and basically sitting at the maximum view distance limits for the resolution/screen size. So I can speak to this.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

croup coughfield posted:

youd have to make a clear point first before you could repeat it

my point is there's no need or imperative to place any type of morality to dissemination of News Media. People have a right to post news and react to said news. BadThings still happen things ARE getting worse whether or not you personally care to acknowledge it.

Not everything in reality should be responded to with dismissive sarcasm, Trey Parker

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Xaris posted:

ok so this is an interesting point to discuss.

why do you think america is in an end of history phase? why assume a Fukuyama state?

theres plenty of goons ITT that aren’t computer touchers: hoot works in a factory, skull.gif works as a restaurant bus boy, Willa does CPA stuff, In Training works at a theater attendant, and I work as a civil servant in public sector for infrastructure

but even so, why assume all the twitter face bookers are completely inoculated in an end of history bubble boy bubble? that’s very liberal and anti Marxist

And I am a groundskeeper on disability. As to the answer: Croup is a radlib worse then any of the anarchists lampooned in the anarchism thread, who only gets away with it because he does what he projects onto everyone else.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Making my posting enemies straw men so I can defeat them easier makes me feel better but does nothing to improve my material conditions.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Taima posted:

he's an unironic trot

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

I don't really think a Great Depression is really possible in a real sense, not the deprivation of the Great Depression, but the system losing control like it did. Arguably, the worst of the Great Depression wasn't the stock market crashing but it hitting banking and the government not really doing anything about it until it was absolutely forced to and following that up with austerity.

Right now, the population is being squeezed and things are becoming more difficult for most people, but both tech and the financial industry is aren't worrying the Fed won't have their back, they will.

Right now, the Fed is more restrained in printing, partly because of issues with the dollar, but even if the dollar devalued to some extent, companies like Apple would be fine (they would just go into Euros/dollar and buy more of their stock).

You could throw some money into the market and see but there are always periodic corrections to make sure buybacks are cheaper (look at Facebook).

-----

In addition, housing is probably going to be more unaffordable for the foreseeable future, there is no way to build subdivisions like back in the 2000s and most of the new construction is rentals.

You have a point but I'm not convinced. At least in the sense of "possible."

The economy is globalized now. I have no confidence that some large downturn in the US economy will leave Europe untouched to the point where everyone just shrugs and swaps out currency. A severe enough disruption and the centralized "Euro" might not exist anymore. Nation Leagues don't have a good track record and the only reason the UN still exists is because it's a debate club for the rich and powerful where nothing of consequence actually happens.

Deteriorating conditions can eventually result in a system we rely on not working the way we want anymore. It's not a binary where if it hasn't happened it can't happen.

Landlords keep raising rents but just because this hasn't completely broken the concept of housing yet doesn't mean it can't. Eventually if a laid off workforce can't pay for landlord properties at a certain level the amount of evictions and foreclosures could seriously disrupt the real estate market. Easily hundreds of thousands, probably millions, of properties are being held by people that will immediately lose them if someone doesn't pay $3000+ a month for them.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

apatheticman posted:

Making my posting enemies straw men so I can defeat them easier makes me feel better but does nothing to improve my material conditions.

You're supposed to lay on a bed of straw that came from your slain enemies. This is internet survival 101 folks.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

uninterrupted posted:

he's an unironic trot

wrong again idiot bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.