Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

how can they plot something to be every 7 million years with 30 years of data?

i'm sure the answer is complicated so dont bother

It's just layman's terminology for six-sigma or whatever cutoff they're using. "Sigma" representing standard deviation from the mean, so more than one Sigma being increasingly vanishingly small likelihoods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BylineTimes/status/1683569785617932289

It was published while Dan was live on air.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Wooton thing is going to be one big “ah well , nevertheless”. Newspaper Hacks are a tight little circle constantly moving from one paper to another. No one is going to properly rock the Murdoch and Rothermere boats. It’s career suicide

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I think the only hack who’s done a piece on it is Marina Hyde and she shagged Piers Morgan

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
sorry one constituency is full of tories so the environment doesn't exist anymore. who can really say this "antarctica" place really ever existed. have you been there

Guavanaut posted:

It's weird that there's a whole (bad) section of Twitter that's decided that he's a super trans rights activist at the same time that Labour have decided to poo poo their pants on any commitment to trans rights too.

Almost as if the homophobes are mad and larger Kieth did some tactical bus throwing.

it's the old great scheme of "if we just water down trans right a little bit more all the terfs will get on side". they have repeatedly said they aren't transphobic and have reasonable concerns so this will go fine.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

can you put this at the end of all your posts from now on it would save us all a lot of time

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
My reaction to news like that now is: "Yeah, that sure sounds sucky, but there's gently caress all I can do about it, so I may as well concentrate my attention on the problems in my life that I DO have some degree of influence over".

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

crispix posted:

much of canada has several feet of snow of a winter but here we only get the odd skiffle - can someone explain please??????????????

It's because of El Nońce phenomenon.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pistol_Pete posted:

My reaction to news like that now is: "Yeah, that sure sounds sucky, but there's gently caress all I can do about it, so I may as well concentrate my attention on the problems in my life that I DO have some degree of influence over".

If there's one thing Al Qaeda have taught us it's that one man can change the world!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unfortunately I'm not sure how you get the US to declare war on climate, and how that doesn't result in them nuking the arctic.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Nuclear winter could reverse climate change

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The right volcano erupting could do us some good as well, but that would only delay things

Maybe we could put some volcanoes on retainer? I'm sure Serco/Group 4 would take up the contract.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

you say climate disaster, i say excellent timing for a beach wedding on rhodes

About half the easyJet flight were members of a wedding party, including Kirsty Galvin, 32, and Robert Heasman, 38, from Bedford. “It was like a private jet,” said Galvin.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's a little annoying that the news is mostly like THESE POOR HOLIDAY MAKERS when it's also like, everyone who lives theres' lives are ruined? The planet is killing us in revenge for our climate hubris?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

It's a little annoying that the news is mostly like THESE POOR HOLIDAY MAKERS when it's also like, everyone who lives theres' lives are ruined? The planet is killing us in revenge for our climate hubris?

Foreigners aren't people you silly sausage

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

Unfortunately I'm not sure how you get the US to declare war on climate, and how that doesn't result in them nuking the arctic.

The Ku Klux Klan environmentalism project: Keep the Arctic white

[/billbailey]

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Don't like the weather, there's the door.

Just don't come here were full :britain:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

The US army is probably one of the few organisations in the world that actually has the resources to do something about it.

On some level they must realise that their forever war against brown people has to wind down eventually, and they'd probably be able to sleep better if they switched to 'forever climate maintenence.' But then they're very much in the 'but I don't want to cure cancer, I want to turn people into dinosaurs' camp.

There's probably a way of getting them to do it, if you could pitch it as ongoing contracts to PMCs to maintain the infrastructure.

Or just promise them an extra [number that can only be expressed via complex graphs] trillion a year once they do solve it. We'd have a worldwide network of 'cloud lazers' by next tuesday.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The US military uses more oil than any other institution in the world, so they could also combat climate change by just not doing anything, taking a break, having a beer, throwing a ball around. That would be massively popular with most of the personnel, but the MIC would hate it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

The US military uses more oil than any other institution in the world, so they could also combat climate change by just not doing anything, taking a break, having a beer, throwing a ball around. That would be massively popular with most of the personnel, but the MIC would hate it.

That seemed to be exactly what the MIC was promoting in Top Gun Maverick

I was sold anyway

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
they still look to be using a fair bit of oil there

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"Push it to the limit" referring in this case to the don't ask don't tell policy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/72powpow/status/1683780689941110785?t=L5QglAWttWw8kWjPlKfXZw&s=19

Who would have thought that Gregg Wallace was the 21st century Jonathan Swift?

Anyway, it's hard to figure whether Daily Mail knew this show was satire and are milking the idiot outrage, or are also that stupid themselves

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
It wasn't tasteless. More like chicken.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Anyway, it's hard to figure whether Daily Mail knew this show was satire and are milking the idiot outrage, or are also that stupid themselves
Much like Alex Jones, the answer is "yes."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The US army is probably one of the few organisations in the world that actually has the resources to do something about it.

On some level they must realise that their forever war against brown people has to wind down eventually, and they'd probably be able to sleep better if they switched to 'forever climate maintenence.' But then they're very much in the 'but I don't want to cure cancer, I want to turn people into dinosaurs' camp.

There's probably a way of getting them to do it, if you could pitch it as ongoing contracts to PMCs to maintain the infrastructure.

Or just promise them an extra [number that can only be expressed via complex graphs] trillion a year once they do solve it. We'd have a worldwide network of 'cloud lazers' by next tuesday.

Just get the US Military to build a large structure in the middle of the Ocean to help regulate the climate. We can call it an Atlantic Accelerator.

Then the Military can just station troops on the Platform to guard it from agents of corporations, terrorists and Syndicates.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

All they have to do is bomb all the coal power plants and oil refineries in non-US countries and climate change is solved right.

This is a brilliant plan with no flaws.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

The Question IRL posted:

Just get the US Military to build a large structure in the middle of the Ocean to help regulate the climate. We can call it an Atlantic Accelerator.

Then the Military can just station troops on the Platform to guard it from agents of corporations, terrorists and Syndicates.

We've moved on to the Panchaea Facility.
Would anyone like a brain implant?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

how can they plot something to be every 7 million years with 30 years of data?

Statistics, but if those statistics are valid enough to say that with confidence is another matter.

Either way, antarctic sea ice extent dropping alarmingly is concerning, but any changes will look amplified by the fact total sea ice volume is alot more static in Antarctica than the Arctic.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

domhal posted:

It wasn't tasteless. More like chicken.

Pork, so I hear.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

sinky posted:

We've moved on to the Panchaea Facility.
Would anyone like a brain implant?

It's not a brain implant, it's a brain-computer interface that accidentally overstimulates the vagus nerve when exposed to certain frequencies! /👁\

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1683792131591229447?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Shouldn't they all be arrested now under these new 'anti-protest' laws?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Starmer abandoning things you care about : Sensible, Pragmatic

Starmer abandoning things I care about : Outrageous, Foolish

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Jel Shaker posted:

you say climate disaster, i say excellent timing for a beach wedding on rhodes

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/rhodes-fires-uk-family-sleeping-camp-beds-british-airways-august-2500182

Not one article on Rhodes itself or what's going to happen in terms of relief or dealing with the fires, but all the UK rags have to play the sob stories of all these entitled cunts who are alive and not having their home burnt to the ground.

"Ms Wales, who runs a PR and communications agency, flew to Rhodes on a BA flight on Saturday morning with her husband and children, aged nine and 13, unaware of the wildfires that were spreading through the Greek island."

These fires started over a week ago now. You'd think you'd pay attention to the place you're going and what's happening there, but who am I kidding, Brits are loving morons.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 25, 2023

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
It's both hilarious and grim how many people are declaring now that they draw the line with Israel at... gasp... illiberal judicial reform.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Diet Crack posted:

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/rhodes-fires-uk-family-sleeping-camp-beds-british-airways-august-2500182

Not one article on Rhodes itself or what's going to happen in terms of relief or dealing with the fires, but all the UK rags have to play the sob stories of all these entitled cunts who are alive and not having their home burnt to the ground.

Such a mystery as to why this is newswort...

Diet Crack posted:

"Ms Wales, who runs a PR and communications agency, flew to Rhodes on a BA flight on Saturday morning with her husband and children, aged nine and 13, unaware of the wildfires that were spreading through the Greek island."

Ah, :ms:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
In fairness, if your holidays isn't covered by ATOL, you might not be able to get a full refund if you cancel pre-emptively.
So I can see a situation where you might just take your chances.

Although, I'm not sure I'd suggest that as a good idea if you've got 2 kids.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Getting my money’s worth by flying into the humanitarian crisis zone to take advantage of the all inclusive evacuation experience

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
If the kids are UNITEed they will never be divided... erm

https://twitter.com/AMSZ66/status/1683822258500894720?s=20

Haven't quite cancelled mine yet (too late to stop this month's direct debit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
She must run a pretty lovely communications agency if she's that unaware of major ongoing world events.

Like calling up her media partners in 2 WTC on September 12th 2001 levels of blissfully unaware.