Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

at least it's cheaper
Borax is the new Tide Pods and poison control experts are facepalming

arstechnica.com posted:

In the latest health fad to alarm and exasperate medical experts, people on TikTok have cheerily "hopped on the borax train" and are drinking and soaking in the toxic cleaning product based on false claims that it can reduce inflammation, treat arthritis, and "detoxify" the body.

The troubling trend harkens back to both the Tide Pod Challenge trend of 2018, in which teens chomped down on detergent packets on camera, and the infamous "Church of Bleach," a faux religious organization that sold industrial beach as a "miracle" solution that could cure a variety of serious diseases when ingested. (The family was recently found guilty of fraud and now awaits sentencing.)

Like the bogus trends that came before them, the new borax enthusiasts have drawn on well-worn conspiracy theories and dubious data to support their poisonous practice. In one video, a TikTok user explained that she put borax in her smoothies because "they are spraying us with chemtrails." Others have suggested borax's unproven health benefits are being purposefully stifled by Big Pharma in a conspiracy to keep people paying for more expensive (and regulated) pharmaceutical products—a common refrain among people peddling unproven health and wellness products.

Meanwhile, the borax trend has hit the radar of poison control centers and toxicology experts. In a debunking article from the National Capital Poison Center, the organization outlined a case of one man who had to go to the emergency department days after soaking in a borax bath, which caused severe skin irritation, swelling, and dryness.

And that's not the worst of it. According to the National Institute of Health's Office of Dietary Supplements, ingesting borax or the related boric acid can cause nausea, gastrointestinal discomfort, vomiting, diarrhea, skin flushing, rash, excitation, convulsions, depression, and vascular collapse.

A report from 1973 outlined the cases of two infants who developed chronic borate intoxication after their mothers repeatedly dipped their pacifiers in a honey-borax solution, thinking the borax was a safe antiseptic (it isn't). After weeks, the infants started having seizures and developed anemia. The study's authors blamed the harm on the "negligence" of the companies selling the mixture, noting that the mixture's packaging did not warn that it "is really a poison."

## No benefit, all risk

These days, borax—sodium tetraborate decahydrate—is mainly found in laundry detergents, where it acts as a bleaching agent. It's also used for industrial glass production and, in small amounts, can be combined with glue to form slime that children can play with—without eating.

Some of the TikTokers advocating for drinking or bathing in borax note that it contains boron, which is a naturally occurring trace element readily found in common foods, such as fruits, peanuts, legumes, potatoes, and milk. It's (of course) also found in dietary supplements. But, boron is not considered an essential nutrient for humans, and researchers have not identified a clear biological function for the element. There is some preliminary data suggesting that boron may be important for bone growth and that it could help reduce the symptoms of osteoarthritis, possibly by inhibiting inflammation. There are also hints that it may influence some cancer risks. But no clinical trials have evaluated any of those possible health benefits.

And, importantly, borax is not the same as elemental boron. Borax is toxic, with short-term use leading to irritation, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. (The poison center notes that eating borax can turn your vomit and stool a blue-green color.) And, as the report on the two infants highlights, long-term use leads to seizures and anemia.

There's little evidence that the cleaning product can reduce inflammation, despite the false claims on TikTok. Some proponents may note two 🇹🇷Turkish🇹🇷 studies in rats that suggest borax reduced inflammation from human cancer drugs and spinal cord injuries. But the studies tested borax in groups of just eight and seven rats, respectively, and even larger studies do not support the use of borax in humans.

With the dearth of data indicating benefits in humans, the poison center sums things up succinctly: "Borax is not intended for human consumption, and may cause toxic effects when swallowed, inhaled, or applied to the skin."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

croup coughfield posted:

i basically agree on all points except that in all of those scenarios the upper class will continue to be coddled and kept occupied in exchange for their cooperation by any and all if the power players, for the same reasons i posted before. real people will be squeezed even harder

posting from work while eating my employee meal so I can't go into deep detail but imo at some point it doesn't make sense to continue subsidizing the parasitical upper class who largely exist as useless consumers. their political influence is greatly inflated and can be easily discarded if the Times Become Tough

tldr at some point even the upper class will be discarded for literal fascism and I find that a much more probable scenario than the state continuing to subsidy a class of people that doesn't meaningfully escalate its power or influence and largely exists as a sentiment-dampening force (i.e., behave and one day you can be part of this!). when the population has largely given up on "being part of this" then that class no longer has use beyond producing the next generation of administrators, yeah?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

my name a borax very nice I like

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wrote a tldr but it ended up being longer than my original point because I had additional thoughts. Mea culpa

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

if things were a little more normal, or leadership just a bit more ept, 20 years of normalcy would still be the highest probability and they'll may fumble through a few more crisises before poo poo gets real, but sooner or later they will fumble a big issue and it will blow up in their face.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SKULL.GIF posted:

posting from work while eating my employee meal so I can't go into deep detail but imo at some point it doesn't make sense to continue subsidizing the parasitical upper class who largely exist as useless consumers. their political influence is greatly inflated and can be easily discarded if the Times Become Tough

tldr at some point even the upper class will be discarded for literal fascism and I find that a much more probable scenario than the state continuing to subsidy a class of people that doesn't meaningfully escalate its power or influence and largely exists as a sentiment-dampening force (i.e., behave and one day you can be part of this!). when the population has largely given up on "being part of this" then that class no longer has use beyond producing the next generation of administrators, yeah?

i dunno i feel like they are a pretty solid insulator that does all the class warfare for you but i guess if they have nukes who cares

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zodium posted:

this is the good phase, in the bad phase people will be discussing tier 3 american city house prices and how much the hotdogs at their favorite mall costs

no the good phase is when Number is plummeting like a stone and all the normies are loving horrified but we're all hooting and hollering 🩸🩸🩸 BLOOD! 🩸🩸🩸

the best phase is when Number is convulsing terribly after belly flopping onto the pavement from 40 floors up and we have various goons coming into here to concernedly post "but what about my life savings? are we hosed?"

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Vox Nihili posted:

alright since a half-dozen idiots who had their minds blown by a wikipedia article about the Madonna-Whore complex want to whine and bitch about a sixer like this is D&D, let's litigate the loving sixer

1) Hoot posts a link about a day in the life of a sex worker thing:

2) FF replies a bunch:

I think you can engage without expressing contempt for this person and then laughing it off as a joke.

Lol probe the lovely post next time then (instead of the funny one with nuance)

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

OhFunny posted:

Gas was $3.49 for a while here. It just jumped to $3.59, so doomsday back on the table goons.

Also in more climb-caused doom. The flooding in Vermont delayed milk supplies, so the yogurt plant I work at seat mostly idle for 36 hours.

That's surely a once in a lifetime event though.

crude oil futures just rolled over to the next contract month last week, there's almost always a jump in price when that happens, unrelated to the actual price movement of the commodity (which has been relatively normal)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Was watching an old roseanne on antenna & saw an ad for this fresh hell.

Buy a credit-card sized ekg monitor from amazon for $99 & monitor it yourself, instead of running up those cray deductibles.

I'll hand it to its investors & inventor: DIY cardio monitoring is a good bet these days.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

woah men!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Willa Rogers posted:

DIY cardio monitoring is a good bet these days.

One of my coworkers is a diabetic (Type 1) who, as far as I understand it, avoids insulin as much as he can manage it. He more or less checks his glucose levels every 5-10 minutes via app and a device attached to his body and then eats high-carb/high-sugar to maintain stability.

It is only here that I'll admit that I'm concerned that he'll miss a check and collapse out of nowhere.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

no the good phase is when Number is plummeting like a stone and all the normies are loving horrified but we're all hooting and hollering 🩸🩸🩸 BLOOD! 🩸🩸🩸

the best phase is when Number is convulsing terribly after belly flopping onto the pavement from 40 floors up and we have various goons coming into here to concernedly post "but what about my life savings? are we hosed?"

Let ye who doubt the number eat the first poo poo you son of a bitch

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

owned!!!!
Amazon asks some workers to relocate as return-to-office push continues

www.bizjournals.com posted:

Less than three months after Amazon.com Inc. (Nasdaq: AMZN) enacted its return-to-office guidelines, the company is asking some employees to relocate to certain hubs so they can be closer to their teams.

Amazon set May 1 as the date when employees would be expected to return to the office at least three days per week, with few exceptions. The company has faced employee backlash over the policy since announcing it in February.

Employees who embraced remote work during the Covid-19 pandemic say they have been adversely affected by the company's shift in policy. In May, they staged a demonstration over the policy and other grievances at the company's Denny Triangle campus.

Yet Amazon's latest move shows its in-office work requirements are becoming more stringent for certain employees.

Last week, the company asked an undisclosed number of employees to move closer to their teams' hub, according to internal emails and Slack messages viewed by the Business Journal. Employees who refused to relocate would be asked by August to find a new job within the company in 60 days or be considered to have voluntarily resigned.

Business Insider first reported the news.

"There’s more energy, collaboration, and connections happening since we’ve been working together at least three days per week, and we’ve heard this from lots of employees and the businesses that surround out offices," Amazon spokesperson Brad Glasser said in an emailed statement. "We continue to look at the best ways to bring more teams together in the same locations, and we’ll communicate directly with employees as we make decisions that affect them."

Amazon says it will cover relocation costs for employees. Exception requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Unlike the return-to-office announcement earlier this year, the request for employees to relocate was not sent companywide and Amazon has not said which organizations and locations would be affected.

In Seattle, the company says its decision to bring employees back to the office has provided some juice to downtown's economy.

Amazon and the Downtown Seattle Association both say downtown Seattle foot traffic increased in May compared with previous years, going back to 2020.

Amazon said foot traffic on its headquarters campuses in the South Lake Union and Denny Triangle neighborhoods has increased by 82% and 56%, respectively, compared with averages in May 2020 through May 2022. And transactions at restaurants in those neighborhoods have increased by 97%.

"We know our presence here helps power the regional economy, encourages small business growth, supports the creation of even more local jobs, and is important for the revitalization of downtown," said John Schoettler, vice president of global real estate and facilities, in a company blog post last week. "There is a renewed sense of vibrancy that I think the community can feel and we’re proud to be here doing our part."

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

Buy a credit-card sized ekg monitor from amazon for $99 & monitor it yourself, instead of running up those cray deductibles.

I'll hand it to its investors & inventor: DIY cardio monitoring is a good bet these days.

The VA is engaged in a pilot program right now with remote diabetic foot monitors because I guess that’s cheaper than just insulin and appropriate care

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

I actually had the opposite thought but it probably gets into how you define subsidizing the upper class, or even define upper class at all. do-nothing administrators are not exactly upper class (or rather, not the elite) -- just nepotistic middle-tier failsons to stay afloat in live off a bronze platter instead of a silver platter but well above the masses that are eating from the dumpster

The 'upper class' is also mostly the only consumer, or the p r e m i u m c o n s u m e r if you will. we're entering The Whale Economy phase of capital cannibalism where it's all about getting the highest prices with minimal production from the haves rather than rentseeking large quantity from the have-nots. it's like how most AAA games want to generate and suck in the few paypig whales rather than providing a big happy playerbase.

so here's the thing, america does need proles to service the rich and to keep the supply of treats moving up the pyramid to the tippy-top. yet there's relatively few a living ontop pyramids and there's less proles needed to fullfill the slave function than exist. Since 1974 but especially through the 90s, america has transitioned to a nearly full Service Economy; however, most of this service economy was built on servicing other proles/"middle class" because the elite would be an intermediary parasite sucking the labor value out of the service economy. think the dollar trees, walmarts, fast food, five guys, etc. All ostensibly service economy that generate wealth for the shareholders by serving one prole to another and taking their cut out of each transaction -- mostly very very small cuts here and theres sling $2 burgers or what not but adding up to billions. You keep this going by providing cheap and infinite debt (zillion credit card offers, BNPL, etc) between the pool of proles. But if the proles is now no longer generating enough profit via the service economy compared to the cost to maintain the infrastructure, why keep it?

Different perspective on the question: what does maintaining large amount of underclass do for the system? sure, you need some excess proles to make sure the crab bucket is well stocked and so people don't get too uppity about solidarity, but you don't need that much and others you can keep in line with militarization. and since the underclass is also increasingly not a good vehicle for transactional rent-seeking (i.e. service economy) because the other recipient customers/consumers have no money, why keep them around?

now one way you could resolve this capital contradiction is widespread cash injections, like bernie bux, or even better, universal basic income. but that contradiction is stone-walled by the political system of america that it will never* happen. so if you don't resolve the contradiction, what then?

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Jul 25, 2023

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://twitter.com/PillarCatholic/status/1683612706320928768

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Lol paging FF

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

SKULL.GIF posted:

One of my coworkers is a diabetic (Type 1) who, as far as I understand it, avoids insulin as much as he can manage it. He more or less checks his glucose levels every 5-10 minutes via app and a device attached to his body and then eats high-carb/high-sugar to maintain stability.

It is only here that I'll admit that I'm concerned that he'll miss a check and collapse out of nowhere.

Either you or your coworker have a poor understanding of type 1 diabetes. Eating high carb requires more insulin, not less.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The VA is engaged in a pilot program right now with remote diabetic foot monitors because I guess that’s cheaper than just insulin and appropriate care

Bluetooth health monitors make hell of sense when you think about it.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

shrike82 posted:

the collapse stuff has always been overwrought - goons were latching on to stuff like peak oil in the 2000s and a housing collapse in the 2010s
there are probaby some goons who locked themselves out of home ownership by thinking prices were going to implode any day now

a good tell is that most of the discussions here are still largely abstract political discussions

goons are always wrong

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

Different perspective on the question: what does maintaining large amount of underclass do for the system? sure, you need some excess proles to make sure the crab bucket is well stocked and so people don't get too uppity about solidarity, but you don't need that much and others you can keep in line with militarization. and since the underclass is also increasingly not a good vehicle for transactional rent-seeking (i.e. service economy) because the other recipient customers/consumers have no money, why keep them around?

you know the end is nigh in a town when Applebees closes up shop.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

anime was right posted:

How do you make money off this populace without smoking out the poor people of the country to literal death

That's the neat part, ya don't.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Remember how there was a big campaign to ban TikTok. What happened with that.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

err posted:

Remember how there was a big campaign to ban TikTok. What happened with that.

infrastructure week

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Hubbert posted:

goons are always wrong

yeah basically we are keeping track of crises like sports, but the system thrives on constant crises happening all the time.

so another crisis happens and sometimes we’re like w/e but other times we’re like THIS IS IT THIS IS THE SIGN NOTICE HOW THE ENTRAILS CURVE TO THE WEST AND GLISTEN UNDER THE SUN LORD’S LIGHT and we ignore the fundamental truth about capitalism which is that it thrives on constant crises

it thrives this way because the people most set up to adapt and profit in a crisis hold capital, the staggering amount of which I think is sometimes hard to imagine, which also gives way to means and so on. and these people survive one crisis after another because they manufacture the crises because they know they’ll be fine and they are trying to knock anyone near them off the boat into the water with the rest of us

this is all why actual real organization is important, because without it a really big crisis just means a really big rear end in a top hat will be in charge

I also think the left has taken on this stupid loving liberal idea that you can’t convince people of different thoughts w/r/t politics but that’s a different point I guess

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Willa Rogers posted:

*All six detections available with a kardiacare membership

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain Magic posted:

I also think the left has taken on this stupid loving liberal idea that you can’t convince people of different thoughts w/r/t politics but that’s a different point I guess

When you deal with enough boomers and liberals whose brains just reset five seconds after you've started to apparently convince them of something after intense effort and dialogue I imagine it's easy to believe that

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

im troutsky

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
TikTok rivals Twitter with new text format

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO, California - TikTok, the social platform known for its addictive video content, announced Monday that it will offer text-only posts, becoming the latest tech giant to offer an alternative to embattled Twitter.

The text posts on TikTok will most closely resemble similar offerings on Instagram, which earlier this month also launched a challenge to Twitter -- which owner Elon Musk renamed X -- called Threads.

Like Meta-owned Threads, TikTok benefits from its size, with around 1.4 billion monthly active users, according to specialist site Business of Apps.

But unlike Facebook's parent company, it has chosen to integrate its new text-only feature into its app rather than launch a separate product, as Meta did with Threads.

TikTok's version will remain more visual than a Twitter or Threads post, with users able to add a color background, music and stickers to the post.

The Chinese-owned company said the new format will expand "boundaries of content creation for everyone on TikTok" and tap into the "creativity" seen in comments and captions, the company said.

In addition to Threads, smaller platforms such as Mastodon, Bluesky and Substack Notes have emerged as potential rivals to Twitter, but none have so far dethroned it despite its troubles.

Musk last week said Twitter has lost roughly half of its advertising revenue, leaving an opportunity for the challengers. — Agence France-Presse

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

kyojin posted:

*All six detections available with a kkkardiacare membership

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

What's FOMC?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Magic posted:

yeah basically we are keeping track of crises like sports, but the system thrives on constant crises happening all the time.

so another crisis happens and sometimes we’re like w/e but other times we’re like THIS IS IT THIS IS THE SIGN NOTICE HOW THE ENTRAILS CURVE TO THE WEST AND GLISTEN UNDER THE SUN LORD’S LIGHT and we ignore the fundamental truth about capitalism which is that it thrives on constant crises

it thrives this way because the people most set up to adapt and profit in a crisis hold capital, the staggering amount of which I think is sometimes hard to imagine, which also gives way to means and so on. and these people survive one crisis after another because they manufacture the crises because they know they’ll be fine and they are trying to knock anyone near them off the boat into the water with the rest of us

this is all why actual real organization is important, because without it a really big crisis just means a really big rear end in a top hat will be in charge

I think sometimes, not you specifically, but the tendency to defend the system or at least claim it can't fail can be a depressive response. Most of us hate the way things are going so the worst thing that can happen is it just gets slightly more worse and terrible forever. 2060 will just be work camps full of elderly people paying off a life debt from generational mortgages or some new concept of Original Tax where infants are given their debt balances at birth. Just a depressing life that never has a chance of getting better.

I think there are plenty of ways we have "Collapse" of modern 1970-2020 global economics and the complete inability to see that is a byproduct of the hyper fixation on currency we have now. People are claiming that things can't collapse because people have money. The economy can't collapse because the Fed has money. Banking can't collapse because it has money. Housing can't collapse because institutional investors have money. The US can't collapse because the EU has money.

This isn't to say modern society or capitalism ends but the things we currently hold in value in the quantities we hold them in value might change drastically.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
goons are always saying Rome was collapsed in a day

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1683778745184681987?s=20

:lol:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

When you deal with enough boomers and liberals whose brains just reset five seconds after you've started to apparently convince them of something after intense effort and dialogue I imagine it's easy to believe that

at work i find that repeating myself several times in a row ie "here is a task, this is the task, this task here we are doing now" in order to clearly communicate something that needs doing, or that we need to start working on

mostly this is with olds but it's also quite effective on hung over fresh grads

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

watching my nephew play Roblox and consuming the 3rd party content on YouTube is pretty screwed up. I’ve been shielding my kid from it and thankfully she isn’t asking me to play. however I did tell her it’s bad and not a game.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Doesn't wizards of the coast, apple store and play store already have this beat? My nephew's bio-mom is very dumb and every other month he charges 1000s of dollars in in-app purchases to her apple account.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i still do not understand what this is. you make your own games or some bullshit? is it like an even dumber, more gamble-y minecraft?

supposedly hundreds of millions of kids (?) play it, but to my knowledge no one's kids in my ecosphere i.e. spouse's friends' kids does. maybe it's an income bracket thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

sonatinas posted:

watching my nephew play Roblox and consuming the 3rd party content on YouTube is pretty screwed up. I’ve been shielding my kid from it and thankfully she isn’t asking me to play. however I did tell her it’s bad and not a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgqq3TWf7IM