Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Mierenneuker posted:

The site merely seems to show you games you've played. The client shows you everything attached to your account.

Then it should still be showing 8-14 hours in everything I own because I sure as hell wasn't throwing good money after poo poo on a nested launcher unless I was invested enough to at least put in a couple good play sessions with it. But maybe the client will help shed some light in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You know it's a good video game review when it starts with

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oof

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Jack Trades posted:

You know it's a good video game review when it starts with

That site still exists? lmao.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
'republican' here means British person that wants to get rid of the monarchy

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

'republican' here means British person that wants to get rid of the monarchy

I did a double take before I realized what was actually going on lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That makes more sense.

In my defese, who pays attention to the British?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jack Trades posted:

That makes more sense.

In my defese, who pays attention to the British?
Could also be Australian \ Canadian.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Xander77 posted:

Could also be Australian \ Canadian.
I've never heard "republican" in Canada other than in reference to the US party.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A country that is a Republic is Republican, right? Not some party thing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

yeah it literally just means "in favour of a republic"

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Croccers posted:

Why does a game about fighting nazi's have non-lethal combat options that give you more points than just killing them?

Because death is the end of their suffering.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Not really sure this is the right thread for this, but as it's pretty active and full of PC gamers, hopefully someone can help me. Or at least direct me to a more appropriate thread. I did consider the Xbox thread but it's a PC-centric question.

Does anyone know where, in the UK, I can buy the latest version of the Official Xbox Wireless Adapter? It's been out of stock on the Microsoft store for months so I presume they just aren't selling it any more. Amazon has a load of clones but I am wary of getting something that doesn't work well, has higher latency, etc. I could buy it bundled with a pad from the official store and I will do as a last resort, but I don't really need the extra pad. I'd really like to pick up the adaptor on its own.

This seems to be available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-Wirel...ps%2C147&sr=8-3

But I think it's an older version, it says Xbox One and it's listed as 2015. As far as I know it would work, but does anyone know if the newer ones have improved latency or anything like that? Intuitively I feel like the newer ones would work better with a current-gen pad but if that's not the case, then I guess this would be a good fallback option. Although there's a lot of reviews saying it comes without packaging which again, makes me suspicious.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

for example, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

chippy posted:

Not really sure this is the right thread for this, but as it's pretty active and full of PC gamers, hopefully someone can help me. Or at least direct me to a more appropriate thread. I did consider the Xbox thread but it's a PC-centric question.

Does anyone know where, in the UK, I can buy the latest version of the Official Xbox Wireless Adapter? It's been out of stock on the Microsoft store for months so I presume they just aren't selling it any more. Amazon has a load of clones but I am wary of getting something that doesn't work well, has higher latency, etc. I could buy it bundled with a pad from the official store and I will do as a last resort, but I don't really need the extra pad. I'd really like to pick up the adaptor on its own.

This seems to be available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-Wirel...ps%2C147&sr=8-3

But I think it's an older version, it says Xbox One and it's listed as 2015. As far as I know it would work, but does anyone know if the newer ones have improved latency or anything like that? Intuitively I feel like the newer ones would work better with a current-gen pad but if that's not the case, then I guess this would be a good fallback option. Although there's a lot of reviews saying it comes without packaging which again, makes me suspicious.

Your link doesn't work for me and this may be a dumb suggestion but you could try Bluetooth or a Bluetooth adapter if your computer doesn't have Bluetooth. Since Xbox controllers have had Bluetooth I've never not used Bluetooth and I've never had a problem

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Volte posted:

I've never heard "republican" in Canada other than in reference to the US party.
I have the misfortune of following the political cartoons thread and JJ McCullough used to describe himself that way.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Xander77 posted:

I have the misfortune of following the political cartoons thread and JJ McCullough used to describe himself that way.
JJ McCullough is an idiot

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Resdfru posted:

Your link doesn't work for me and this may be a dumb suggestion but you could try Bluetooth or a Bluetooth adapter if your computer doesn't have Bluetooth. Since Xbox controllers have had Bluetooth I've never not used Bluetooth and I've never had a problem

My bad, here's the link: https://amzn.eu/d/egBPhzj

I did consider Bluetooth as my PC has it, but I move the pad between different devices and don't really want to have to keep re-pairing.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Do NOT get Legacy of the First Blade, it's loving awful and quite frankly deeply insulting

I just wanted to quote this from the AC talk last page because it is 100% correct and good advice for anyone thinking of getting Odyssey.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Has anyone ITT snagged Remnant 2 yet? How's the performance? I saw a bunch of stuff on Reddit yesterday or the day before saying it's unoptimized trash, but I can never tell what's hyperbole over there.

I'm surprised for what seems like such an anticipated game only has 495 Reviews on steam (89% Positive) so that doesn't seem to give much indicator of how common performance issues are.

edit; oh how about this high quality review

Some chud posted:

Bad optimization and some weird obsession with "white guy, white guy, white guy" every 2 sentences by the woke non-"white-guy" characters.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sab669 posted:

Has anyone ITT snagged Remnant 2 yet? How's the performance? I saw a bunch of stuff on Reddit yesterday or the day before saying it's unoptimized trash, but I can never tell what's hyperbole over there.

I'm surprised for what seems like such an anticipated game only has 495 Reviews on steam (89% Positive) so that doesn't seem to give much indicator of how common performance issues are.

There's been a lot of discussion about gameplay stuff over in the Remnant 2 thread since it's been available for the last few days if you bought the $gently caress you edition, but performance seems fine with DLSS. Less so without it, but a majority of the complaints I've seen were from people trying to run it in 4k without upscalers and getting mad because their 3080ti couldn't run it. There are some hitches when loading into new areas and the fps does dip a bit in combat but as long as you're fine with DLSS it seems to run well.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I bought the base version of Insurgency: Sandstorm and I have a couple questions about it.

1. Every video online shows guns that aren't available to me when I try to build a loadout. Do you unlock guns through some kind of level up process over time or are these people posting videos online using DLC or modded guns? How do I get access to that stuff?

2. Other videos online show people building loadouts with like 125+ loadout points, but I'm only seeing the availability to start out with 15 points. How are these people skyrocketing their loadout points before matches start like that?

3. It looks like there's exactly one local game mode available against AI (or two if you count "hardcore" mode), where you try to occupy various locations around the map. There are a long series of locations to claim and defend, but if you fail to defend any one of them at any time, you lose the entire round. It kind of sucks and feels lame. It seems like you lose the entire round if you, the player, die even once, because the game respawns you so far away from whatever POI you're fighting for that you lose the round before you can even run back to it. It's not even a tug-of-war system where losing a POI just sets you back one location. Instead, the game just decides you have to stop playing now and puts you back into the main menu. It sucks.

Basically, is there a way to make single player Insurgency: Sandstorm less lame, with more available guns, more loadout points, and more game modes?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 25, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sab669 posted:

It’s playable but not incredible. My RTX 3080 ti and i7-8700 frequently drop below 60 at 1440p at medium settings and DLSS on. if your system is on the fringe you might use the refund to check how playable it is but note that the tutorial area ran better for me than the rest of the game, so get to the start of your first actual campaign map to make a call.

The game is absolutely fantastic if you can run it though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sab669 posted:

the PS5/XSX version is dropping as low as 720p in the 60fps mode if that's any indication of how well optimized it is

the 30fps mode barely scrapes 1080p

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Owl Inspector posted:

It’s playable but not incredible. My RTX 3080 ti and i7-8700 frequently drop below 60 at 1440p at medium settings and DLSS on.

That's lovely; I'm on a RTX3070, although a i9-10850 and 1440p. Although I was mostly curious on behalf of a friend whose computer is much worse :thunk:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Owl Inspector posted:

It’s playable but not incredible. My RTX 3080 ti and i7-8700 frequently drop below 60 at 1440p at medium settings and DLSS on. if your system is on the fringe you might use the refund to check how playable it is but note that the tutorial area ran better for me than the rest of the game, so get to the start of your first actual campaign map to make a call.

The game is absolutely fantastic if you can run it though.

turn shadows to low, you're probably not going to notice and it'll free up a lot of vram

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

fwiw I'm on a 3080ti, 5800X3D, playing with everything ultra at 1440p and getting like 60-100 fps using balanced DLSS. I've only played about a half hour or so, so it's definitely possible it gets worse later but it seems ok for me. If you don't have a DLSS capable card you're gonna have a bad time tho for sure.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I cancelled my preorder of Remnant 2 because I didn't buy the edition that came with early access, but then my friend bought it for me anyway as a late birthday gift. We beat the game last night.

I'm on a 3070 and I had to set it to Medium to stop getting out of VRAM errors (in part because I stream movies while playing lmao) but it still looks great on Medium, and it ran really well.

Incredibly fun game playing co-op through the main storyline which was about 18 hours long (we beelined the story then went back afterwards to hunt for secrets). Lots of neat secrets hiding entire classes or weapons but I think they've mostly all been figured out by now.

I have not had good experiences trying to co-op with randoms, the co-op system is really bad for joining random games, just lots of little problems with it that compound to make the public co-op a frustrating experience: When you join a game you don't actually spawn until they use a checkpoint (this game's bonfire equivalent), sometimes that's 10+ minutes away from where they are. In my experience it's very common to wait 10 minutes for someone to reach a checkpoint and then they kick you or quit the game before you even spawn in. You don't have to "enable" co-op like e.g. using a Humanity or whatever from Dark Souls, it's enabled by default and you have to toggle it off; this seems to lead to a whole lot of instances where you join someone's co-op game then they realize they want to play solo and kick you. After beating it the only thing left to do is go back and hunt for specific dungeons that drop loot you missed, which is nearly impossible to do in co-op because you can't tell who's going to be skipping what dungeons, and the join game screen often lies about what dungeon they're actually in. Disconnecting from a co-op session always sends you back to the main menu instead of sending your character back to the hub or the last checkpoint you used, so every time you get kicked from a game or whatever you need to load the main menu, then load back into your save, then open up the join game menu and find a game to join, then load into that game, then wait for a checkpoint, etc.

It also has the problem of being a game that's all about farming up all this cool gear, but it doesn't actually give you anywhere meaningful to use it. All you can do is... replay all the content that you just got the gear from on a higher difficulty, which provides no additional rewards or content, just more damage from enemies/more enemy health. Also enemies' levels scale with your gear so you never actually feel stronger no matter how much you upgrade it.

The boss fights are really cool, the zones are neat and fun to explore the first time through but then they become an exercise in sprinting through looking for dungeons you haven't done. The combat is overall solid. Enemy designs are great. There's a truly absurd amount of random lore text/dialog if you're into that kind of thing. NPCs are incredibly talkative and will often sit there and talk at you for literally an hour if you want, but I didn't find any of it interesting enough to engage with.

Most of the 'character build' stuff is total trash. You essentially pick ~7 options from a gigantic list of incredibly, incredibly small bonuses (2% faster reload speed, 3% more ranged damage, etc). You can 100% ignore the system and still beat the game easily without wearing any specific gear or ever changing your rings/runes/etc. Which kind of sucks because none of it feels impactful, so why bother farming it up in the first place? We beat the game just wearing generic status resist rings because it seriously dumps like 100 rings on you that all have super small/situational bonuses and the only way to sort them is alphabetically and there are like 12 rows of rings to scroll through. There are a few standout build-defining items, like e.g. an amulet that makes you consume less ammo when reloading, and the trait system which lets you define your power much better than gear does, but the majority of your 'build' choices are meaningless

I'd give it a solid 7/10, it's better than Remnant 1 but also has 100% of Remnant 1's problems with longevity and my desire to replay it.

e: I will straight up say that while the "built-in randomizer" idea they have is super cool, with the sparse amount of content it includes I would have 100% rather seen it all laid out linearly like Dark Souls. There's not nearly enough of it to make things actually feel fresh and new every playthrough, instead it just makes it annoying to target-farm specific things. As-is, replaying to farm up things you missed in your first campaign is more like "Alright let's go through all of that yet again to see if it spawns a different random dungeon at the end, and we'll restart again if it doesn't". You see roughly the same things every playthrough (just in different orders, sometimes with a different boss/optional dungeon).

TL;DR it has a lot of really fuckin' cool mechanics and ideas but doesn't actually deliver on connecting them into the gameplay loop they appear to create at first glance. Fun to play, neat to see the novelty of all the ideas, but not particularly engaging to keep interacting with them. You'd probably get more out of it than I did if you're really interested in world-building dialog/text. I can neither particularly thumbs-up or thumbs-down the game at full-price but it would be an incredibly solid $20-30 game. My main complaint about it is that it starts off with the illusion of having a massive amount of content but in actuality it's pretty limited and for the most part you just get one of two possible 'versions' of each world on each playthrough, which are mostly the same but with a few different optional dungeons and a different endboss.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 25, 2023

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Banished Vault just came out. Some kind of space-exploration roguelite, kind of like FTL I guess, but with an amazing board game look to it.

Actually, after watching some videos this game is all about colonizing planets so it isn't much like FTL at all, but it still looks very cool.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 25, 2023

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

GreatGreen posted:

I bought the base version of Insurgency: Sandstorm and I have a couple questions about it.

1. Every video online shows guns that aren't available to me when I try to build a loadout. Do you unlock guns through some kind of level up process over time or are these people posting videos online using DLC or modded guns? How do I get access to that stuff?

2. Other videos online show people building loadouts with like 125+ loadout points, but I'm only seeing the availability to start out with 15 points. How are these people skyrocketing their loadout points before matches start like that?

1 - no gun unlocks, some weapons are gated by team so security will get more Western weapons and insurgents more Eastern

2 - I'd assume they're playing a special game mode that lets you have a silly amount of load out points to just do whatever. It's fairly restricted normally so you have to balance out how much you want to carry vs how much you'd like to be alive after being shot

No idea about making single player better, I think you might be able to host a server locally with one of the other game modes and add bots

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jack Trades posted:

Why does a game about fighting nazi's has non-lethal combat options?

if you kill every nazi you meet, who are you gonna interrogate for the enigma codes?

chippy posted:

The last 2 or 3 generations of xboxen have had regular ol bluetooth in the wireless controllers. I used a xbone controller on my pc over bluetooth just fine (at least until the left thumbstick crapped out) and never bought an adapter. If your computer doesn't have a built in bluetooth radio you might have to buy a bluetooth dongle -- there are plenty of them on amazon for under $10 though.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 25, 2023

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

also non lethal is just a good challenge run for a stealth game, while nazi murder is really cool and good, something must be said for torturing and trolling them beyond just wanton slaughter

there are only so many testicles you can shoot

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

chippy posted:

*edit* nevermind I can't read. I didn't see that you specifically didn't want the extra pad, but I did have to go for that option to get one from microsoft.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 25, 2023

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The last 2 or 3 generations of xboxen have had regular ol bluetooth in the wireless controllers. I used a xbone controller on my pc over bluetooth just fine (at least until the left thumbstick crapped out) and never bought an adapter. If your computer doesn't have a built in bluetooth radio you might have to buy a bluetooth dongle -- there are plenty of them on amazon for under $10 though.

Not all of them come with bluetooth, and for those that support it, it can be a bit poo poo especially if you're in the same room as your router.

chippy posted:

I have an Elite 2 controller and I purchased an adapter from this supplier on eBay last year. It came in the original packaging and all, and has been pretty great.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225687422777

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

there are only so many testicles you can shoot

There are 2 * (number of enemies) - 1 * (number of hitlers) per level.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

BrianRx posted:

There are 2 * (number of enemies) - 1 * (number of hitlers) per level.

1*number of hitlers is just the same as writing number of hitlers, your testicle maths is balls

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

lol if you don't know about hitler's occult scrotal experiments and his 5-balled shock troopers

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

1*number of hitlers is just the same as writing number of hitlers, your testicle maths is balls

you're 1 * (absolutely right)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sab669 posted:

it owns, but you need a decent PC and ideally a friend or two to play it with

extremely fun it you check those boxes though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

boofhead posted:

you're 1 * (absolutely right) + 0