Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I got the cane in grade prep in 1986.
The school run by mercy nuns, I wonder if hitting kids was legal at that time

*edit* it was legal in WA up until 2015 :dogstare:

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

The Peccadillo posted:

Why is that show so popular. It's for children but adults are stoked about it for some reason

most of the time it is less focused on kids stuff and more focused on the way adults interact with kids

I have a suspicion that a lot of its popularity with childless adults comes from people who had difficult interactions with adults as children and now have a soft spot for healthy presentations of those interactions

Odd lack of representation for a show that's otherwise reasonably progressive in its presentation of parenting style though

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
It's a loving good show.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Lolie posted:

We had to do it at Monday morning assembly when I was a little tyke. I have no idea why it was only on Monday.

At my primary school we had to salute it every bloody morning, right after singing the national anthem. It was tedious.

BrigadierSensible posted:

And if you have alittle kid and are subjected to the morass of candy coloured mediocrity that is young childrens TV, then Bluey is a breath of fresh air. A breath of fresh air where the dad is voiced by a 90s Queensland Indie Rocker.

It's partially this, children's tv is mostly mindless flashing drivel generated to sell toys so when you get a show that's got some thought put into it, it stands out. I asked my almost ten year old why she likes it and she said that "both the main characters are girls, and they're just having heaps of fun all the time".

It's also super relatable but nuanced for the adults watching it, it touches on serious topics like death and infertility in ways that won't be obvious at all to kids but don't take any enjoyment or fun out of the episodes. There's heaps of gen x nostalgia and jokes. I mean, how can you not love a show that uses a trip to Bunnings as a plotline?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
We had assembly once a week i think and they only played the anthem then and no one saluted at my primary school

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

bee posted:

I mean, how can you not love a show that uses a trip to Bunnings as a plotline?

Easily. ABC should not be advertising companies. Now get off my lawn ya oval office.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

bee posted:

At my primary school we had to salute it every bloody morning, right after singing the national anthem. It was tedious.

It's partially this, children's tv is mostly mindless flashing drivel generated to sell toys so when you get a show that's got some thought put into it, it stands out. I asked my almost ten year old why she likes it and she said that "both the main characters are girls, and they're just having heaps of fun all the time".

It's also super relatable but nuanced for the adults watching it, it touches on serious topics like death and infertility in ways that won't be obvious at all to kids but don't take any enjoyment or fun out of the episodes. There's heaps of gen x nostalgia and jokes. I mean, how can you not love a show that uses a trip to Bunnings as a plotline?

There's certainly a fair share of stories that give a hard tug on the heart-strings of tired, emotional parents. Well worth watching.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inceltown posted:

Easily. ABC should not be advertising companies. Now get off my lawn ya oval office.

It's not actually Bunnings used in the show :ssh:.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

It's a loving good show.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not actually Bunnings used in the show :ssh:.

So it's even more insidious. They're using a Bunnings stand in to advertise it. Aunties evil knows no bounds.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Imagine actually being angry about loving Bluey lmao

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Inceltown posted:

So it's even more insidious. They're using a Bunnings stand in to advertise it. Aunties evil knows no bounds.

If it were Bunnings then the ABC would have to buy Bunnings and those drat leftys at the ABC would ban the sausage sizzle for being haram

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

webmeister posted:

Imagine actually being angry about loving Bluey lmao

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6qDnh-W0PE

Props to him, I don't think I'd have enough breath to say actual words if that happened to me.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Imagine facing Garner or Marshall in anything less than a full UXO suit.
These guys didn't even have visors

https://youtu.be/Hp17RYl5d1M

Possibly nms

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
“What’s the physio going to do?”

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
https://youtube.com/shorts/vpMHYkT4jd0?feature=share

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Carlos Lantana posted:

Imagine facing Garner or Marshall in anything less than a full UXO suit.
These guys didn't even have visors

https://youtu.be/Hp17RYl5d1M

Possibly nms

:boonie: :boonie: :boonie: :boonie: :boonie: :boonie: :boonie: :boonie:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
As a Yank I don't know much about cricket but I do enjoy groin hits so here's five minutes of batsmen taking it in the ghoolies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HHQTSOf36Q

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

As a Yank I don't know much about cricket but I do enjoy groin hits so here's five minutes of batsmen taking it in the ghoolies.

that guy at 3:53 deserves it for squatting at silly mid-on

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

1:34's a real eye-waterer. :stare:

edit: The "OH NOO" vid mentions the third time, was that his third out, or his third time copping a shot to the nads that game?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

It's 1 am, you've been on the piss hard enough to blow a .191 but your daughter calls and says she needs her lawn cut. Normally you'd do it feeling a bit rough in the morning but Inghams father of the year went right on over on his ride on mower.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Over in this thread, they're tugging themselves off about Transformers:

Kwyndig posted:

Perfect casting, wish I had thought of it first. Peter Cullen will give the character the exact amount of gravitas and nuance he deserves.

I thought they meant Peter Cundall

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Peter Cundall would love to be able to turn into a truck to haul his plants and dirt around

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lolie posted:

We had to do it at Monday morning assembly when I was a little tyke. I have no idea why it was only on Monday.

We had to recite this pledge and the boys had to salute.

quote:

"I love God and my country, I honour the flag, I will serve the Queen, and cheerfully obey my parents, teachers and the law".

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Cubs? Did they also make you say dib dib dib and dob dob dob?

Was your teacher called Miss Akela?

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
"I honor my god
I serve my queen
I salute (salutes) the flag."

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Saluting a flag is psycho behaviour

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Where's the matchbox car of that?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Dunno but I’d buy one. I do know the fire stations down there get a staffing boost over winter with firies being sent down from Sydney for a six week stint.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Canada dressup day

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Actually used to have an official Australia Post toy van.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Peter Cundall would love to be able to turn into a truck to haul his plants and dirt around

I saw Peter Cundall, who served in the Korean War, speak at an anti-war rally (when we were attacking Iraq as part of "the war on terror") and he was so moving and loving fantastic. He really was.

edit: let me just put some quotations around that...

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

SecretOfSteel posted:

I saw Peter Cundall, who served in the Korean War, speak at an anti-war rally (when we were attacking Iraq as part of "the war on terror") and he was so moving and loving fantastic. He really was.

edit: let me just put some quotations around that...

Did he turn into a truck and speed off when he finished his speech?

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Did he turn into a truck and speed off when he finished his speech?

I think you might be thinking of Optimus Prime, leader of the Autobots. A mistake we all make one time or another.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually used to have an official Australia Post toy van.

One of my mates brought an old Australia post van a while back, said it was pretty decent van. They paint over the Australia post logo before they sell them though obviously, and unfortunately. Was still Australia post red at least.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've seen countless old post vans around. If you want a commercial vehicle cheap, it's probably the best way to go.

But, they're also probably been run on the ragged edge of no maintenance and staff who give no shits about gears. 2nd gear gets you on the highway, so why ever change? Just ignore the shuddering when you take off at the lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Postie bikes are the real teasure