Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Vox Nihili posted:

Reminder: there are important strikes happening right now

https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/1683878219647180800
lol at the picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

HLIAILIYMOO

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

skooma512 posted:

I found a hundred freaking bucks on the ground walking back to my building at work. Number up!
once i found a $50 note that must have been dropped deliberately by some mysterious philanthropist because it had YOUR SHOUT, oval office written on it :australia:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
huh, Spotify raised prices too huh?

quote:

Spotify stock losses intensify after earnings miss and price hikes

Spotify stock notched its second-consecutive day of significant declines Tuesday as investors responded sourly to the music streaming service’s price hikes in its premium plan and another quarter of staggering losses.
Music Streaming Service Spotify Goes Public On The New York Stock Exchange

Tuesday was a bloodbath for Spotify stock.
Key Takeaways

Spotify shares tumbled more than 12% to $144 by 3 p.m. ET, slipping to their lowest level since late May and building on the stock’s 4.7% loss Monday.
Driving the losses Monday, the Swedish company announced it would raise the price for its individual Premium plan from $9.99 to $10.99, while a quarterly earnings report Tuesday morning disappointed financial expectations and further doused the stock.
Spotify lost roughly $330 million during the second quarter, far worse than its $225 million loss during the first quarter and its $138 million loss during the second quarter of last year, while its $3.5 billion of quarterly revenue came in short of consensus analyst estimates tracked by FactSet.
Yet, the company painted a different picture in its earnings release, as it highlighted its strongest-ever quarterly growth in monthly active users and its best-ever second quarter for paid subscriber growth, primarily attributing its losses to its efforts to “streamline operations and reduce costs.”
Shares of Spotify are still up about 80% this year, though they are down nearly 60% from their 2021 all-time high of nearly $370.
interesting that they had "best" quarter but still losing money. also who are people still discovering spotify in 2023 such that userbase can even 'grow', i figured everyone would have already been on it since 2020 at the latest

i'd have thought you'd need to figure out this whole "profit" thing before IPO-ing but then again fomo investors are dumber than the dumbest goon

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Xaris posted:

interesting that they had "best" quarter but still losing money. also who are people still discovering spotify in 2023 such that userbase can even 'grow', i figured everyone would have already been on it since 2020 at the latest

i'd have thought you'd need to figure out this whole "profit" thing before IPO-ing but then again fomo investors are dumber than the dumbest goon

They sure did. As soon as I saw an email from them I knew before opening it they were raising the price.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
B is really gonna turn on student loans huh?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

MuadDib Atreides posted:

B is really gonna turn on student loans huh?

turn on? he's always been a big fan of student loans. He's the sole reason that student loans are non-dischargeable in bankruptcy and stuck with someone for their rest of their lives.

e: nevermind, misread. anyways the answer is yes, and democrats are gleefully giddy to make the freeloading lazy masses pay up

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Xaris posted:

how the hell are these clowns still losing money? it’s the most slam dunk subscription service out there and the only one i don’t feel terrible paying for every month.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Because they have to make MORE money.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

spotify's recommendation system still seems better than apple music and youtube music for whatever reason

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

punished milkman posted:

how the hell are these clowns still losing money? it’s the most slam dunk subscription service out there and the only one i don’t feel terrible paying for every month.
:iiam:

i also pay for spotify (premium split 5-ways with goons so like $3/mo) and it's the only "web 2.0" subscription i have. i'm actually seeing some potentially disturbing and shady trends with it though , particularly with it inserting seemingly "in-house" songs and trying to push the cheaper songs than main mega-label songs. which i'm fine with personally, but it does make me wonder if my library is going to quietly drop out some of the bigger bands i have without telling me

looks like the trajectory is stepford wives-ing my library slowly until its all replacement sound-alikes

Xaris has issued a correction as of 03:38 on Jul 26, 2023

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Bank of California is buying Pacific West Bank (1.8x larger than BoC).

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1683937377767809025?t=GKYD0WGcKjQUuCDmSyz5Ig&s=01

Probably fine.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Enshittification ho!

https://twitter.com/madiator/status/1683735923387936768?t=AYZlpa537dXrmttsXOtmMA&s=19

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

:iiam:

i also pay for spotify (premium split 5-ways with goons so like $3/mo) and it's the only "web 2.0" subscription i have. i'm actually seeing some potentially disturbing and shady trends with it though , particularly with it inserting seemingly "in-house" songs and trying to push the cheaper songs than main mega-label songs. which i'm fine with personally, but it does make me wonder if my library is going to quietly drop out some of the bigger bands i have without telling me

looks like the trajectory is stepford wives-ing my library slowly until its all replacement sound-alikes

what if was like you watch the a list actor in a movie the first 1-2 years of licensing then it downgrades to an ai composite with four fingers ?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

if it goes im out of a job.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

in 20 years the Tom cruise editions of mission impossible are nowhere to be found

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Lol at the people posting earlier today about material conditions. Nothing can stop this ride baby

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-07-24/sam-altman-valley-vcs-bet-48-million-on-blood-testing-startup

Sam Altman, Valley VCs Bet $48 Million on Blood-Testing Startup

The idea will give cold sweats to any investor familiar with Theranos Inc. That company, too, aimed to run large numbers of tests on small amounts of blood...

Vital Biosciences and its backers are aware of the parallels. “In some ways, it makes it more intriguing,” said investor Lachy Groom

The notion of streamlining blood diagnostics holds an enduring appeal. “I’m not a fan of needles. I’m not a fan of blood,” said Groom, a former product manager at Stripe Inc. who invests out of his LGF funds. “I got so excited by what they’re tackling.”

Groom was introduced to the startup by a friend who spoke highly of the team. After what he said was considerable due diligence, he concluded it would be difficult to pull off fraud twice in such a specialized field.

Vital Biosciences plans to conduct its first official demonstration on Monday at the annual meeting of the American Association of Clinical Chemistry in Anaheim, California. Theranos-watchers will be familiar with the event as the same one where Holmes spoke in 2016 to try to restore confidence in her company.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Stupid, in terms of the needs of the average consumer, but extremely smart for profit. The fact that they're bringing back a non-premium-consumer-level EV is, frankly, kind of shocking. I wonder what their rationale is.

Building only premium consumer EVs means that BYD, SAIC, Geely, etc. snap up the rest of the world with affordable average joe EVs.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

first as tragedy, then as farce, then as baby in baby carriage

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

maybe telling people they arent allowed to ask or answer popular questions on your q&a site wasnt a good idea

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Let's double down on insane articles tonight

https://www.businessinsider.com/marc-andreessen-teaching-son-chatgpt-ai-2023-7

Billionaire Marc Andreessen says he's teaching his 8-year-old son ChatGPT: 'This is like the most important thing I've done as a father'

"I set a time aside and I sit him down on the couch and I was like, 'Okay, there's this amazing thing that I'm going to give you.'" the Andreessen Horowitz cofounder told Joe Rogan of the first time he introduced his son to ChatGPT. "This is like the most important thing I've done as a father that I've like brought fire down from the mountains and I'm gonna give you AI and you're gonna have AI your whole life to be with you and teach you things."

Andreessen said he was astonished when his son seemed unfazed by the technology.

"It's a computer. Of course you ask it questions and it gives you answers. What else is it for?" Andreessen said his son told him.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Why did that happen?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

sleep with the vicious posted:

Let's double down on insane articles tonight

https://www.businessinsider.com/marc-andreessen-teaching-son-chatgpt-ai-2023-7

Billionaire Marc Andreessen says he's teaching his 8-year-old son ChatGPT: 'This is like the most important thing I've done as a father'

"I set a time aside and I sit him down on the couch and I was like, 'Okay, there's this amazing thing that I'm going to give you.'" the Andreessen Horowitz cofounder told Joe Rogan of the first time he introduced his son to ChatGPT. "This is like the most important thing I've done as a father that I've like brought fire down from the mountains and I'm gonna give you AI and you're gonna have AI your whole life to be with you and teach you things."

Andreessen said he was astonished when his son seemed unfazed by the technology.

"It's a computer. Of course you ask it questions and it gives you answers. What else is it for?" Andreessen said his son told him.

its an important lesson as a son to learn ur dad is dumb as hell

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

err posted:

Why did that happen?

ChatGPT

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
s-son. this is the most important thing i will ever - *ever* - give you. it's called *deep breath*, it's called a "bored ape"

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

err posted:

Why did that happen?

they've always been heavy handed with regards to quality of both questions and answers. i guess they updated their policy a while back. honestly though, a lot of the "core" answers just don't need answering again like basic algorithms or older frameworks no longer in vogue, and there's been a shift to poo poo like discord for tech specific real time support, for better or worse.

i'd also argue documentation across the board is better than it's ever been, because there are so many frameworks and libraries that all do more or less the same thing (such as stuff built on react) that people aren't willing to put up with the bad user experience of lovely docs when plenty of competitors could have good ones.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

A lot of the better technical discussions just moved to github discussions

Feels like quora where SO just got overwhelmed by newbies

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

shrike82 posted:

A lot of the better technical discussions just moved to github discussions

Feels like quora where SO just got overwhelmed by newbies

github is a really problematic monolith but they're completely subsidized and the competition is lacking

it's basically just gitlab and over all my years i've never actually heard of a single team using it

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

this sounds like the part in the sci-fi book where the point is that the humans have lost all context of what a computer is and how it works and where the information and answers come from.

anyhow check this out, I was in the kids section of this sports store Scheels, and they sell these little toy wooden swords for $20. the shield is $30

then I went around the other side of the store and in the knife section found these

and ever since, a whole chunk of my brain has been in a weird sort of bugged feedback loop that begins and ends with “what…”

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLAzQW2UxBo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i am harry posted:

anyhow check this out, I was in the kids section of this sports store Scheels, and they sell these little toy wooden swords for $20. the shield is $30

then I went around the other side of the store and in the knife section found these

and ever since, a whole chunk of my brain has been in a weird sort of bugged feedback loop that begins and ends with “what…”

this is kind of cool though?

like, kids (and kids at heart) are gonna pretend to be knights and swordsmen and poo poo, why not give them some professional looking props while they do it?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

triple sulk posted:

github is a really problematic monolith but they're completely subsidized and the competition is lacking

it's basically just gitlab and over all my years i've never actually heard of a single team using it

Now that Microsoft owns github, it's basically impossible for companies not to use it. Most computer toucher farms exist mostly to shovel as much money at Microsoft as possible, and deviating from this stance is too psychologically painful to bear.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

maybe the air traffic controllers could strike for better conditions under this pro-labor president

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
a barbarian would have a two handed axe not a measly one hander

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish

gently caress me.

But clearly, not at that price point.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

yeah son but these answers are made up bullshit. do you understand how important that is??

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is kind of cool though?

like, kids (and kids at heart) are gonna pretend to be knights and swordsmen and poo poo, why not give them some professional looking props while they do it?

it’s not that it exists gentle goon, it’s that the real thing is five bux cheaper than something that should cost $3 since it’s just cnc cut “wood” with the edges sanded

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Elman posted:

yeah son but these answers are made up bullshit. do you understand how important that is??

it always was, dad

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

As China’s economy stalls, the unemployment rate is hitting new highs

quote:

China’s economy is having more difficulty emerging from three years of “zero covid” lockdowns than expected, with the latest data showing that growth remains sluggish.
---

BEIJING — The sun is only just visible above the rooftops, but hundreds of job seekers are already getting restless in the 80-degree-and-rising morning. Then there’s the economic heat resulting from China’s post-covid slowdown.

When a minivan pulls up to the curb on a commercial street in Majuqiao, on the outskirts of Beijing, dozens charge at it. “What’s the gig?” they shout at the man inside, shoving forward in hopes of a payday and an escape from the summer sun.

The selection process looks more like an argument than a job interview. The crowd and the driver shout back and forth for a hot minute before a handful of younger men climb into the vehicle. The burly driver blocks the rejected from joining them, slams the door and speeds off.

The frantic scene — repeated again and again every morning here at an intersection where day laborers hope to pick up shifts — is testament to the bleak job prospects in the world’s second-largest economy.

China’s economy is having more difficulty emerging from three years of “zero covid” lockdowns than expected, with the latest data showing that growth remains sluggish.

The property market and the construction work it generates, responsible for about a quarter of economic growth, is in decline. Consumption remains tepid as households are cautious about big purchases. Indebted local governments are flirting with defaults.

Together these economic challenges have caused a big spike in joblessness, particularly among young people. The unemployment rate for 16- to 24-year-olds hit a record 21 percent last month, although one economist thinks the real number may nearer to half.

Widespread concerns about getting a job and earning an income — whether for a manual laborer looking for short-term construction work in a city far from home, or a recent university graduate looking for work at an internet company — are troubling for the Chinese Communist Party and its powerful leader, Xi Jinping.

The leadership has long justified its autocratic rule by promising a better economic future. Xi has gone further with ambitious pledges to tackle inequality and deliver “common prosperity” across Chinese society. But the old engines of China’s rapid economic ascent — a construction boom and mass urbanization — are sputtering, meaning fewer jobs across the board.

“When businesspeople are not certain about economic prospects, companies are unwilling to expand employment,” said Zhang Jun, dean of economics at Fudan University in Shanghai. And that in turn means less spending. “Because of the epidemic shock, many people’s incomes have not increased or may have even decreased, and many families have become more cautious,” he said.

The weak economic statistics are palpable on the streets of Majuqiao, one of the few places remaining in the Chinese capital where out-of-town workers can hope to find employment by the day.

Their dreams of making good money in the big city are fading. Falling wages and fewer jobs are near-universal complaints. Many are considering leaving.

Zhong Hui, 47, was one of those left behind after the morning scrum, his shaved head steadily turning redder as he hung about just in case something turned up.

Originally from Inner Mongolia, he has been coming to Beijing for years but finds it ever harder to secure jobs. He said he often accepts lower pay rates than he would have earned five years ago.

Soon, the rental on his small, windowless room will be up, and he is undecided whether to stay or try another city. He still expects to do day jobs rather than trying to find a long-term contract, because that usually requires going through agents, and they often cheat you or take a big cut.

Mostly, however, he doesn’t see any other option. “We say it’s freer [to do day work], but in reality we don’t have a choice,” he said.

Zhong is part of the first generations of internal migrant workers, the people who left their homes in rural regions in the 1990s and 2000s to build the high-rises that now adorn cities like Beijing, Shanghai and Hangzhou.

Although wages have risen for manual laborers, they haven’t kept up with inflation, and these workers face a bleak future, according to research that recently went viral and was quickly censored.

Many migrant workers expect to keep working until they can’t any longer, because they lack the savings, pensions or social support to stop, Qiu Fengxian, a sociologist at Anhui Normal University, found in extensive surveys.

There were 86 million migrant workers older than 50 in China last year, and a new policy prohibits those over 55 from working on construction sites.

Relaying questions from her surveys, Qui said workers often ask themselves: Where do I go when I’m old? Once sick, whom can I depend on? When I can’t work anymore, what will the future hold?

But it’s not just the older population and manual workers who are struggling.

At the other end of the job market are China’s new graduates. A record 11.6 million people left college this summer and began hunting for jobs. They are finding it a tough slog, with far too many applicants for even fewer jobs than usual.

Some are lucky enough to get highly competitive spots in the best industries or relatively secure civil service jobs; others are taking whatever they can get.

But a whole swath of them are opting out of the rat race. Why work a “996” job — 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., six days a week — for little money, when you could move home to live with your parents and make a living by producing short videos?

“They go home and quit the labor market,” said Zhang, the Fudan economist, talking about this trend of opting out. “I think we need to be concerned about whether this phenomenon will become irreversible in the future.”

Online, there is a whole lexicon of disillusionment. Twenty-somethings talk about how working too hard is just “involution” without results, like running on a hamster wheel. So, they say, you may as well “lie flat” and do the bare minimum to get by.

These people won’t even be included in the official unemployment count because youth figures include only people who are actively seeking jobs. Zhang Dandan, an economist at Peking University, estimates the real number could be as high as 46.5 percent.

Some of the unemployed young have started to jokingly describe themselves as being “full-time children” again, back home with their parents. They, like many day laborers, are feeling pessimistic about their prospects.

Liu Qianyi, an interior design graduate, is one of the 20-somethings who has partly regressed to childhood. She has been living at home with her parents in the central Chinese city of Changsha since May, when she quit a graphic design job because the pay was low.

She had planned to look for a new position, but instead decided to chill out and train to be a primary school teacher.

Unlike in her grandparents’ generation, when everyone was poor and working hard for a better life, “now the gap between the rich and the poor is huge,” she said. The government’s promises that everyone can be “moderately prosperous” are “superficial,” because there is too much competition for the limited number of jobs available.

“Even if I looked for a job now, the boss will pay minimum wage and ask for maximum work,” Liu said. It’s easier to — she deploys one of the new phrases meaning to give in to circumstance — just “let it rot.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Spotify was planning to roll out HD audio and surround sound as part of a higher cost subscription tier. Then Apple included HD audio and surround sound in their base price($10.99). Apple also included the Classical app (the standard sorting methods for pop are not very useful for classical enthusiasts). Amazon Music Unlimited also put HD audio and surround into their base subscription for prime members at $8.99/month or $89 for a year.

That makes it hard for Spotifty to create a desirable new tier. Spotify Hi-Fi was originally supposed to launch in 2021. Spotify does have the best UI, discovery, and user playlists by miles though, and that's important to me.