Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Weren't people saying the same thing about Live-Action Cowboy Bebop before it actually aired.
there have been people who have already watched this and say it's good(not perfect, but good), so I am already way more excited for this than I ever was for cowboy bebop. bebop definitely looked questionable to begin with. this, I am on the complete opposite trajectory, each new trailer sells me more on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Bebop promo trailer felt fun when they were messing around with the choreography and editing to make it look like they were literally jumping between scene cuts. I had hoped that style would carry over to the rest of the show.

Then I saw the opening credits which were the equivalent of a dollar store recreation of the original OP, watched the first episode and never bothered to finish the rest of the show.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
"I hope your favorite anime gets a live action netflix adaptation" is the new modern "Go to hell"

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

GateOfD posted:

"I hope your favorite anime gets a live action netflix adaptation" is the new modern "Go to hell"

Fist of the North Star's like "Finally".

Griz
May 21, 2001

ep1 had some remarkably awful cgi but they seem to have backed off with that

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Griz posted:

ep1 had some remarkably awful cgi but they seem to have backed off with that

It's fine beyond the credits in the rest of the episodes.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Zom100 came down a bit after that first episode but Im still enjoying it after 3 episodes so I think Im riding this one out until the end.

I dont know if this season is considered loaded compared to the last two, but Im somehow watching way more shows than I expected at five (Zom100, Helck, JJK, Dark Gathering and Undead Murder Farce). Plus I still need to check out Monogatari and Gene of AI at some point.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Zom100 is weird, because while the first episode was incredible, it was also pretty self-contained? Like if I dropped the series after episode 1, I would still feel like I got a solid, finished story out of it. And now episodes 2-3 are trying to establish a hook and get me to continue caring about the zombie apocalypse and people stuck in it and that's ok, but it's a pretty tough job, especially compared to the fresh take of episode 1.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
His college rugby buddy is just not funny, and unfortunately there is zero sexual tension between two naked dudes hanging out and drinking together on a roof.

I'm assuming I will/can finally drop it in a couple more episodes after the samurai girl from the OP shows up and they maybe do something else with the lead's bucket list vs fitness girl's survival list.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

haypliss posted:

His college rugby buddy is just not funny, and unfortunately there is zero sexual tension between two naked dudes hanging out and drinking together on a roof.

I'm assuming I will/can finally drop it in a couple more episodes after the samurai girl from the OP shows up and they maybe do something else with the lead's bucket list vs fitness girl's survival list.

Yeah the friend feels like they were written for a one off ep instead of an ongoing role

The mc and college buddy’s dynamic doesn’t feel like it’s got much to explore when it’s just the two of them, but I’m hoping once they get to having a full group of four together they’ve got enough for everyone to bounce off of

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Live action One Piece will probably become like how I treat the live action Fist of the North Star from the 90's: Something to enjoy ironically two decades after it was made.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

haypliss posted:

So, as someone who’s read a chunk of the manga, I’ll go ahead and put something here that might help determine if you wanna drop this.

All the others don’t get a list. It’s always Akira’s list, but he has the others add to the list, so it becomes more of a group dynamic thing. The survival girl’s list eventually gets tossed when she joins the group because it stops becoming about survival and embracing Akira’s mindset.

The show/manga really isn’t about surviving a Zombie apocalypse. That’s really the window dressing. It’s more concerned about the idea of “How do we live our lives? Should we live doing things we hate just to be able to make a living, or should we do the things that truly make us happy?” and Akira’s friend is another way to play off that.

I like Zom 100. It’s fun. However I think the opening episode sold it harder than what it really becomes.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
I don’t care about zombies much, so it just a dressing to bring forth the human aspect of living your life and etc is what I’m after. I liked his friend.

Totally understand the sentiment and memory of your good old college friends you just lose touch with after you all split up and busy with your own jobs and careers.

Was really worried he was gonna die, so I was invested in his character. At least for this episode he lives…

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

The Black Stones posted:

So, as someone who’s read a chunk of the manga, I’ll go ahead and put something here that might help determine if you wanna drop this.

All the others don’t get a list. It’s always Akira’s list, but he has the others add to the list, so it becomes more of a group dynamic thing. The survival girl’s list eventually gets tossed when she joins the group because it stops becoming about survival and embracing Akira’s mindset.

The show/manga really isn’t about surviving a Zombie apocalypse. That’s really the window dressing. It’s more concerned about the idea of “How do we live our lives? Should we live doing things we hate just to be able to make a living, or should we do the things that truly make us happy?” and Akira’s friend is another way to play off that.

I like Zom 100. It’s fun. However I think the opening episode sold it harder than what it really becomes.

Given this episode, I wasn't expecting everyone to bring a list. Just that the two "opposing" lists we have seen would create some last entertaining friction between those characters before giving way. Synthesis of the two seemed possible but it's not shocking that they just completely submit to the bucket list.

I really just picked the show up based on the production quality, and outside of episode 1 it has still been solid and often charming. I figure unless I get hooked from them finalizing the cast then I can put it down having gotten the gist from it already.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Demon cam girls is something I wasn't expecting today, oh well...

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Lt. Lizard posted:

Zom100 is weird, because while the first episode was incredible, it was also pretty self-contained? Like if I dropped the series after episode 1, I would still feel like I got a solid, finished story out of it. And now episodes 2-3 are trying to establish a hook and get me to continue caring about the zombie apocalypse and people stuck in it and that's ok, but it's a pretty tough job, especially compared to the fresh take of episode 1.

I thought the host club bit in episode 3 was a good piece of efficient side-storytelling.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
I be fine with each episode ending on a feel good note showing the progress on the list with the event item crossed out

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i read through what i could of the manga on viz and my take on zom100 is: it's good

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Dark Gathering ep 03, getting a bit boring. the battle aspect was really weak and didn't care.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I enjoyed the Fate/Strange Fake special and am looking forward to the eventual series, but I have to wonder what someone less familiar with Nasuverse lore would make of it. Even if you've seen the Zero and UBW animes, the discussion of whether Gilgamesh's child self would disapprove of him is a bit of a non-sequitur if you're not familiar with Hollow Ataraxia, and I think you'd have to be pretty into this stuff to realize that the old man with the book is Zelretch and that the "spider" he's worried about awakening is ORT.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 24, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
probably how every marvel cinematic thing has like 20 hidden references for comic book fans that don't really matter

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

GateOfD posted:

probably how every marvel cinematic thing has like 20 hidden references for comic book fans that don't really matter

I guess. It's just kind of funny that the big reveal at the end seems to expect familiarity with Fate/Prototype, of all things.

The funny thing is that in the original April Fool's version, the main character was implied to be "A" from the very beginning of Hollow Ataraxia, which is an even weirder choice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Today's Helck episode was kinda whatever. I still got a laugh out of Azudrah coughing up blood anytime he tries to speak.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

Today's Helck episode was kinda whatever. I still got a laugh out of Azudrah coughing up blood anytime he tries to speak.
I beg to differ, I lost it at the whole "don't freak out, but..." exchange

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well she did tell him not to freak out what was he supposed to do.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I remember someone in the Spring thread looking for a song from Mashle's soundtrack and the official soundtrack dropped today

Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/album/4Q6X2k7mrP66fIAnYcEeKM?si=4bgXbmQrT7KJJKeIEPxsOw&context=spotify%3Aalbum%3A4Q6X2k7mrP66fIAnYcEeKM

Youtube:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kCcgSoP2w_RgjHmoxH4Y9fD5ennLeq94M

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nice catch!

Here's the "I. Go. Big" track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRzFnvw1P3E

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

I liked the subplot of the smart female demon trying to figure out the angles her fellow demons were trying to play so she could outflank them only for them to be 100% fine with a Helck win/going home.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Yawgmoft posted:

I liked the subplot of the smart female demon trying to figure out the angles her fellow demons were trying to play so she could outflank them only for them to be 100% fine with a Helck win/going home.

Im getting the same "D&D party but everyone is an idiot" vibe I got from Konosuba, which I absolutely love when done right, so this show is right up my alley.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm hyped with the idea of seeing Arsene Lupin in Undead Girl Murder. Maybe he will be the blond guy from the opening.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Remember: The human who became Boxxo only bought women's underwear BY MISTAKE! JUST SO WE'RE CLEAR!

(Doesn't help with another thing we get to see him vend this episode...)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Dr. Jeryl and Mr. Hyde in Undead Murder Head?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GateOfD posted:

Dr. Jeryl and Mr. Hyde in Undead Murder Head?

The opening credits also show the Phantom Of The Opera

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Murder Face 04 done
Finally, the mystery is done.
freaking ice stake that melted. Honestly its such a common twist, that I overlooked it. Didn't expect the guy to kill the son there though, but I guess he did kill a human, and showed no redemption.

Didn't expect to see Frankenstein and all sorts of other characters at the end there. Didn't know we were gonna go all 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'
Not bad for a 1st mystery to lay the groundwork. Hope the next one can keep it going

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

So the villain in Murder Farce is actually just Moriarty right?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Sam Faust posted:

So the villain in Murder Farce is actually just Moriarty right?

100%.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The only shows I like so far this season are My Happy Marriage, Jujutsu Kaisen, Zom 100 (so far only watched 1 episode, though).

My Happy Marriage is definitely a surprise because the art direction is so nice, and I'm hooked on the premise. It was a mild shock when it suddenly turned into a Full Metal Alchemist though lol.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mygo continues to rule. The concert scene in the most recent ep might have done the 'bombing a performance' vibe better than bocchi the rock. Like five minutes of the show that are just entirely in the green room with characters coming in and out and it feels mildly like you're locked in there and it's awkward, the cast completely loving it up multiple times, even when they succeed their lead singer is still pretty off rhythm and their guitarist is randomly adding solos. its great. and theres a joke where the singer starts giving a dramatic speech to someone in the audience and a slow guitar comes in to emphasize it and then it cuts to the guitarist actually giving her confession a backing track.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i think i like mygo more than bocchi at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theyre doing different things/going for different vibes but mygo is at least as good