Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Exorcist Trailer. I don't know, looks good. Curious to see where they go to make it a trilogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
David Gordon Green needs to go manage a Taco Bell or something.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

no

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
No priest no sale

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

David Gordon Green needs to go manage a Taco Bell or something.

At this point, why don’t we just pass around Halloween between directors and see what they do with it.

I wanna see Jane Campion’s Halloween.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I need you all to know, Guillermo del Toro is the only person who knows how to use the internet. He's on bluesky and all he does is post about his horror-themed gunpla he's been building.

this man has an academy award.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

I need you all to know, Guillermo del Toro is the only person who knows how to use the internet. He's on bluesky and all he does is post about his horror-themed gunpla he's been building.

this man has an academy award.

What's his regdate, do you think?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

What's his regdate, do you think?

Bluesky is 22 days ago. Here…

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Opopanax posted:

Exorcist Trailer. I don't know, looks good. Curious to see where they go to make it a trilogy

drat glad to see dgd stretching his wings and making a lovely trilogy based on a legendary property starting with an immediate legacy sequel bringing back the original female protagonist idk where he comes up with this stuff

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I watched that sharksploitation documentary on shudder, and it has way too much love for bad syfy digital schlock. Which I guess is morally better than the movies where they actually kill sharks or include footage of sharks killing a stunt man, but I still don't like them. The bit about the 6-headed shark walking on land was adorable though.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Opopanax posted:

Ellen Burstyn is apparently 90 years old, jesus christ.

Trailer looks fine but I feel like it's gonna be hard to make demonic possession feel fresh. The idea of twin possessions in sync just kinda feels like that one episode of Evangelion.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Exorcist sequel just looks boring.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It looks like it should be on Freeform.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hollismason posted:

The Exorcist sequel just looks boring.

That trailer thinks it's being so cute with teasing the theme, but it's like someone trying to hide an entire horse behind their back.

A dead horse.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't like how they seem to have shoehorned Burstyn into the Exorcist role, they're not gonna have a Father Karras/Merrin type character in the movie so they need Burstyn to be like the Lynne Shaye/Zelda Rubenstein and it doesn't really fit with the character from the original film.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

shoeberto posted:

Ellen Burstyn is apparently 90 years old, jesus christ.

Trailer looks fine but I feel like it's gonna be hard to make demonic possession feel fresh. The idea of twin possessions in sync just kinda feels like that one episode of Evangelion.

Jesus, when people said he was bringing back the female lead I assumed they were just talking about Linda Blair.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Nikumatic posted:

drat glad to see dgd stretching his wings and making a lovely trilogy based on a legendary property starting with an immediate legacy sequel bringing back the original female protagonist idk where he comes up with this stuff

The big reveal: The demon is not Pazuzu. It's Corey.

God I'm still upset at how poo poo Halloween Ends was.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Remakes/sequels that bring back the original cast members are already getting old. I think it worked for Halloween 2018 because the theme was generational trauma, but it was pretty pointless in last year's TCM. Also for an Exorcist film I'd expect Linda Blair to return before Ellen Burstyn... I could see a worthwhile story about Regan having to confront repressed childhood memories of the possession in order to save someone, but it seems out of character for Chris to want anything to do with it. Especially with the "every religion" thing, she's explicitly an atheist/agnostic in the original and it would make more sense for her to return to being skeptical and downplay/dismiss the supernatural stuff once it was all over. And both The Exorcist and The Exorcist III deal heavily with Catholicism specifically, I feel like that's an essential part of the premise.

That said, I'll still give it a chance and maybe be pleasantly surprised.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Given that they've said it's a trilogy right off the bat I'm assuming Regan shows up in the end and takes over

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Opopanax posted:

Given that they've said it's a trilogy right off the bat I'm assuming Regan shows up in the end and takes over

Ah I didn't realize that. That makes me even more skeptical it'll be any good.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Opopanax posted:

god now I want them to just do the eva sync battle against the demons even MORE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jerwm4ctkg

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I actually really liked Halloween Ends (I realize I'm in the extreme minority here) but I don't understand why we're doing a new Exorcist movie at all unless you're going totally batshit crazy with it. Exorcist 3 is great because it's a completely different type of movie, this one just seems to be have been greenlit with the concept of "what if there were TWO possessed girls?".

I do think you could have an interesting movie here if you play on some more modern fears that parents have. But this doesn't appear to be that at all, besides "the kids disappeared after school for a bit".

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'm no fan of Ends, but felt it at least had a good idea buried inside it. This just feels creatively bankrupt.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have a much bigger problem with Halloween Kills. I actually think the whole thing would've left a much better taste in my mouth had they just done Halloween and Halloween Ends, two films instead of a trilogy. Kills was just goofy as hell and not in a good way. Goofy and Michael Myers isn't a good combo.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I liked Kills, honestly. I totally understand your point but I thought it had really strong atmosphere and the hamfisted dialogue felt less silly than it did in Ends. Kills with Ends' ending would've been solid. But swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Either way it really didn't need to be a new trilogy because Halloween 2018 was already a sequel to the original film!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Basebf555 posted:

I have a much bigger problem with Halloween Kills. I actually think the whole thing would've left a much better taste in my mouth had they just done Halloween and Halloween Ends, two films instead of a trilogy. Kills was just goofy as hell and not in a good way. Goofy and Michael Myers isn't a good combo.

I thought Kills just showed that they didn't ever really understand what made Halloween work, both '78 and '18.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I just don't know what's left to mine from The Exorcist unless you go completely batshit crazy. Have the girls be faking the whole thing, or their parents are having them fake it. Turn it into a criticism of the church. I know that's just The Last Exorcism before the terrible ending, but it's at least something different.

But then how do you turn that into a trilogy?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

I just don't know what's left to mine from The Exorcist unless you go completely batshit crazy. Have the girls be faking the whole thing, or their parents are having them fake it. Turn it into a criticism of the church. I know that's just The Last Exorcism before the terrible ending, but it's at least something different.

But then how do you turn that into a trilogy?

Money.

They think there's money there.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Xiahou Dun posted:

That trailer thinks it's being so cute with teasing the theme, but it's like someone trying to hide an entire horse behind their back.

A dead horse.

In the trailer thread, kiimo, who works on the campaign for the movie, mentioned this:

kiimo posted:

Marketing. We can’t even use the color purple. The fact that we got tubular bells was a miracle

The studio making a new Exorcist sequel wants the trailer to remind you as little about the 70s movie as possible because that makes sense in some cokebrain's coke brain.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I just think there was a different direction they could have gone in and this looks boring.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

What was goofier in any of these three movies than the training montage where Mike teaches that kid how to stab? I guess to Ends' credit that was one of the times I laughed the hardest at a horror movie all year.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

flashy_mcflash posted:

What was goofier in any of these three movies than the training montage where Mike teaches that kid how to stab? I guess to Ends' credit that was one of the times I laughed the hardest at a horror movie all year.

I won't argue that every moment in Ends lands the way they wanted it to, but I just think Kills is wall to wall cheese. The tone felt completely off from start to finish.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

davidspackage posted:

In the trailer thread, kiimo, who works on the campaign for the movie, mentioned this:

The studio making a new Exorcist sequel wants the trailer to remind you as little about the 70s movie as possible because that makes sense in some cokebrain's coke brain.

Well then they (the execs, not kiimo and co, I'm sure they did their level best) hosed up both ways because it's right in the middle.

I'm both angry that they're not changing things and angry at what they're changing, for the remake of a movie I never actually liked that much.

It's kind of impressive.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Attended a preview screening* of Talk To Me on Monday and it lives up to the hype. Very well directed and shot, with some crunchy gore and Foley. Stuck the ending as well, though I was worried for a few minutes that it wouldn't. Good acting from the leads too.

*It was a Cineworld 'Secret Screening' so there were plenty of walkouts when the title card came up, and throughout the movie.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

flashy_mcflash posted:

What was goofier in any of these three movies than the training montage where Mike teaches that kid how to stab? .

did you know that EVIL DIES TONIGHT

spoilers, it does not

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

weekly font posted:

did you know that EVIL DIES TONIGHT

spoilers, it does not

Evil goes to live in the sewers like a Ninja Turtle TONIGHT

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Carpet posted:

Attended a preview screening* of Talk To Me on Monday and it lives up to the hype. Very well directed and shot, with some crunchy gore and Foley. Stuck the ending as well, though I was worried for a few minutes that it wouldn't. Good acting from the leads too.

*It was a Cineworld 'Secret Screening' so there were plenty of walkouts when the title card came up, and throughout the movie.

Hell yeah, got my ticket for Friday to see it, glad to hear it lives up to the hype.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://twitter.com/JayBauman1/status/1682602248591818752?s=19

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

Wait, they're letting him do this trilogy poo poo AGAIN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All the Halloween movies made money