Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Angepain posted:

Q: Scottish Labour does not agree with the new policy. It still supports self-ID.

Starmer says he does not agree with that. He wants to modernise the process of applying for a gender recognition certificate. But he wants to keep it a medical process.
'oh, self id? our previously stated policy that was significant enough that i personally affirmed our party's commitment to it in a special video address i made to the lgbt community, on pride day, two years ago?

:geno: i do not agree with that'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Some absolutely eye popping details in this expose of Paul “Pot Noodle” Watson, who apparently subsists on “coke and hookers” and is , to the surprise of no one, a deeply creepy weirdo

https://vote-watch.com/police-investigating-youtuber-paul-joseph-watson-following-rape-allegations-made-by-multiple-women/

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

I reckon if the thread clubbed together we could buy it and all live there together.

We'll need to update :gooncamp: into a castle format

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

I reckon if the thread clubbed together we could buy it and all live there together.

I only want half.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

smellmycheese posted:

Some absolutely eye popping details in this expose of Paul “Pot Noodle” Watson, who apparently subsists on “coke and hookers” and is , to the surprise of no one, a deeply creepy weirdo

https://vote-watch.com/police-investigating-youtuber-paul-joseph-watson-following-rape-allegations-made-by-multiple-women/

Oh God, this guy...

Holy gently caress, these are some horrific allegations.

NMS - "She alleges that she said no 2-3 times and tried to get Watson to stop, but was forced to perform oral sex and violently pulled back by the legs when she tried to crawl away."

Edit: VVV

frytechnician fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 26, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
So bad that I'd probably put some spoilers and content warning on that if you're gonna excerpt

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Elon Musks ex wife pops up at one point. Some staggering details.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Jesus Christ, can't even do a "Imagine my shock" to that one.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Z the IVth posted:

£2150 a month in mortgage will get you a literal mansion with grounds if you didn't want to live in London.

You could probably buy that fort in Scotland.

Here lays the problem, a significant portion of the people on a salary in London and elsewhere could have easily afforded a mortgage if the deposit/lending schemes from the banks weren't so loving predatory and shithouse. I'd much rather be spending half my income on a mortgage and paying off my own home, but how the gently caress do you save circa 60-100k for a STUDIO at list price when you're already spending HALF your income on rent to keep a roof over your head? The only people with a realistic chance are the ones living at home with mum and dad if they're earning, saving and not paying any rent.

This country is so far gone down the "suck landlords off as much as we can" path that you're never going to return to what it should be, mortgages costing more than rent. The profiteering and easy out for exponentially creating wealth by just flipping properties. It's the laziest income stream there is, yet it seems to be half of this country's "economy" outside of banking and services. Staring down the barrel of a massive mortgage crisis and possible hyperinflation at some point given the government isn't going to do a loving thing for the next 5 years - it's dire.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 26, 2023

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

kingturnip posted:

I just want someone to ask them how the evidence backs up their policy.
Literally: "how many police reports are there of a woman being attacked by a trans woman in a 'woman-only space'?"

Facts and figures aren't enough to stop these TERF cunts, but some people at least will respond well to them.

I would like to see this too, as well as asking: "Are you worried about predators/domestic abusers/stalkers dressing up to further their aims in a public shitter* or just trans people in general? Do you think all trans people are bad faith predators?"

*Along with a follow up of: "What exactly is stopping them doing that right now?"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

I'll start the wiki.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Jesus Christ, can't even do a "Imagine my shock" to that one.
Given his reaction to Sadiq Khan's recent anti-sexism campaign being an expected tantrum about Muslim groomers implying all white men are rapists, I think we are allowed to say 'maaate'.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

C'mon, if you're going to start a crazed internet commune based on fringe economic theory, at least buy a seafort.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Does anyone know, if someone is steaming pissed and claims to be totally sober, and thus an ambulance is called, will the ambulance driver say “this man isn’t ill, he’s just drunk as a lord” to gathered onlookers?

In unrelated news a colleague took a tumble out of his chair onto the carpet and is currently having a nice lie down and a little snooze in his office.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

keep punching joe posted:

Can't wait for the gulf stream collapse so we get regular white Christmases again
some good news for keep punching joe and literally no-one else
https://twitter.com/dpcarrington/status/1683856783964508165

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Sanford posted:

Does anyone know, if someone is steaming pissed and claims to be totally sober, and thus an ambulance is called, will the ambulance driver say “this man isn’t ill, he’s just drunk as a lord” to gathered onlookers?

In unrelated news a colleague took a tumble out of his chair onto the carpet and is currently having a nice lie down and a little snooze in his office.

This is Britiain in the year 2023, when that ambulance arrives he'll be two days sober.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

“I’m not owned” I continue to insist as my holiday consists of driving through a smoking hellscape

https://twitter.com/juliahb1/status/1684158143389990912?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Apraxin posted:

some good news for keep punching joe and literally no-one else
https://twitter.com/dpcarrington/status/1683856783964508165

We turn into Newfoundland... i guess. :shrug:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

The Perfect Element posted:

I wonder what's going to happen to all the people and businesses who are sustained by the Mediterranean tourist industry now that it's going be a burning wasteland in the summer months.

Well I'm currently sat in Dusseldorf airport watching a stream of tourists going to Spain and southern Italy so I think they're still doing fine.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

90s election rememberers. Is it just nostalgia-posting to think that Blair could, at least, answer media questions in a coherent manner and defend his positions and ideology in a reasonable way?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bobby Deluxe posted:

C'mon, if you're going to start a crazed internet commune based on fringe economic theory, at least buy a seafort.

If I understand the latest climate research correctly it is going to be both a seafort and an ice citadel in the near future.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

smellmycheese posted:

90s election rememberers. Is it just nostalgia-posting to think that Blair could, at least, answer media questions in a coherent manner and defend his positions and ideology in a reasonable way?

IIRC Blair tended to answer them in a kind of informal conversational style that people really hadn't seen someone in his position do on telly before and it seemed to wrongfoot them into accepting whatever position he was going for at the time. Like you could see people going "huh, he's really thinking this through and just talking like a human being" rather than seeing the sleight of hand that it was stage-management dressing up liberal both-sidesism as the reasonable voice in a media circus.

Its grimly funny that the success of Farage and Boris were both put down to basically the same thing, I guess in Boris's case it was that effected incompetence thing, Farage it was just doing it in reverse by pumping boomers so full of fashy slogans there's an element of recognition there "oh he talks like us" and all that.

A lot of people saw through Blair's shtik at the time (I didn't) and he only pulled it off in those early campaigns, once the Iraq war happened the Kayfabe dropped.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The Perfect Element posted:

I wonder what's going to happen to all the people and businesses who are sustained by the Mediterranean tourist industry now that it's going be a burning wasteland in the summer months.

At worst the holiday period will move by a few months; bigger concern is whatever societal impacts of climate change will be.

It's not like people don't go to hotter places as well.

Also Rhodes is lovely, best Greek island for holidays IMO.

e: What's not to love:

But no seriously it's a great place, not quite as crowded as the busy bits of Spain, fairly clean beaches and a bunch of things to see. Probably butterflies valley might be gone now though.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 26, 2023

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

no, he enthused and excited people as well - it seemed like things were really going to change for the better

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Just Another Lurker posted:

We turn into Newfoundland... i guess. :shrug:

Remains to be seen, there are scenarios in which the gulf stream stopping instead means more extreme summers and winters and more extreme weather patterns, rather than an overall cooling effect.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix posted:

no, he enthused and excited people as well - it seemed like things were really going to change for the better

He actually did. There was a huge buzz around the 97 election. Giving the Tories a good kicking and replacing them with something progressive. All turned to poo poo of course. But at least an illusion of something. Now we have Keith

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

smellmycheese posted:

He actually did. There was a huge buzz around the 97 election. Giving the Tories a good kicking and replacing them with something progressive. All turned to poo poo of course. But at least an illusion of something. Now we have Keith

The fact when people didn't instantly turn against the Blair project when that dreadful party political broadcast with Things Can Only Get Better over it makes me deeply suspicious of the British public. Well, even more deeply suspicious.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
oh gently caress up lol that song was only a few years old at the time and you can't expect people to have known how things would play out

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

smellmycheese posted:

He actually did. There was a huge buzz around the 97 election.

I don't think the credit for this should go to Blair. The Tories had been in for 18 years, it looked like we'd finally get rid of them, the Labour Party's manifesto had lots of good things and we hadn't yet learnt how utterly worthless manifestos could be - even those of us who detested Blair were full of hope.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

smellmycheese posted:

The whole 90s had a whole air of 'everything is changing for the good'.
You had aspiring TV shows like Star Trek, the grim dark gritty shows really didn't start until after the millienium.
You had new tech like the internet that was going to make everyone closer and smarter.
It was the first decade that didn't have nuclear war hanging over them.
Drug culture was happy dancy hug everyone good times.

Blair, and Labour tapped into that, poo poo even their theme song was things going to get better.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I wonder what Starmer Labour's theme song would be.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Have you heard The Beeching Report by ILikeTrains?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

crispix posted:

oh gently caress up lol that song was only a few years old at the time and you can't expect people to have known how things would play out

So funnily enough, that song has a pretty wild history.

I learned about it while listening to a podcast called "Under Consoletation" which is a podcast that watches every episode of GamesMaster. Since the theme of the podcast is 90's nostalgia they also look at the top films and music from each week of the show that they review.

When it came to this song they went into the background of it and how it was originally a song written when the singer Peter Cunnah was working in an office and a co-worker gave him the song's title.
He kept it as one of 300 songs he wrote but didn't record, before using it when he founded D:Reem.

He originally released a version for clubs that was 10 minutes long and reggae based.
It took years and a re-edit before it became the big hit.

Do you want to know more?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Things_Can_Only_Get_Better_(D:Ream_song)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxcAUXoYkng

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

happyhippy posted:

The whole 90s had a whole air of 'everything is changing for the good'.
You had aspiring TV shows like Star Trek, the grim dark gritty shows really didn't start until after the millienium.
You had new tech like the internet that was going to make everyone closer and smarter.
It was the first decade that didn't have nuclear war hanging over them.
Drug culture was happy dancy hug everyone good times.

Blair, and Labour tapped into that, poo poo even their theme song was things going to get better.

9/11 really has defined everything since it happened. A bunch of other stuff happened subsequent to it that probably would have happened anyway, but I think that was the really big event that everyone reacted to in the absolute worst way, and it seems like every couple of years has just been building on that misery, stupidity, and pointless destructiveness ever since.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Reveal yourself "monstermunchman"

https://twitter.com/LivEchonews/status/1684227612736978945?t=4cL5slqyfN_WCqs-k52L0Q&s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is the most hosed up haircut I have ever seen in my life.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The minority that do enthusiastically support Labour right now do centre on a strong sense of nostalgia for New Labour, so it would probably just be Things Can Only Get Better again.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I heard that, she can't have been that old, can she?