Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!

NeonPunk posted:

Wtf why are they unhappy with the deal?

I suspect that those are just management trying to sabotage this from within by running a false narrative

wsws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

croup coughfield posted:

its fine. im going to win by showing them your posts so they kill themselves. you're doing your part
thx. been saying posting is truly praxis.

eat poo poo tankies who hate posting. internet ftw

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!
:byetankie:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I wish things did not cost so much oh well

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

net work error posted:

I wish things did not cost so much oh well

lifehack: you don’t have to pay

except maybe rent, idk landlord will prob send in SWAT team if you don’t pay that.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

croup coughfield posted:

so if im understanding this correctly, the way to lower prices is to destroy the wealth of the middle and upper middle class

This is the Fed's theory I think

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Hello. I made a new thread that might interest some of you.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037849&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

cat botherer posted:

Just ran into a job posting on linkedin for a "Web3" data scientist position that's "equity only"

However, they promise good compensation after a successful financing round!

This is great. Thank you B.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

Wtf why are they unhappy with the deal?

I suspect that those are just management trying to sabotage this from within by running a false narrative

Wsws are ultra left weirdos with a lot of insane perspectives. They can be safely ignored

Troutful
May 31, 2011

sleep with the vicious posted:

Lol at the people posting earlier today about material conditions. Nothing can stop this ride baby

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-07-24/sam-altman-valley-vcs-bet-48-million-on-blood-testing-startup

Sam Altman, Valley VCs Bet $48 Million on Blood-Testing Startup

The idea will give cold sweats to any investor familiar with Theranos Inc. That company, too, aimed to run large numbers of tests on small amounts of blood...

Vital Biosciences and its backers are aware of the parallels. “In some ways, it makes it more intriguing,” said investor Lachy Groom

The notion of streamlining blood diagnostics holds an enduring appeal. “I’m not a fan of needles. I’m not a fan of blood,” said Groom, a former product manager at Stripe Inc. who invests out of his LGF funds. “I got so excited by what they’re tackling.”

Groom was introduced to the startup by a friend who spoke highly of the team. After what he said was considerable due diligence, he concluded it would be difficult to pull off fraud twice in such a specialized field.

Vital Biosciences plans to conduct its first official demonstration on Monday at the annual meeting of the American Association of Clinical Chemistry in Anaheim, California. Theranos-watchers will be familiar with the event as the same one where Holmes spoke in 2016 to try to restore confidence in her company.

lmao at every paragraph

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ArmZ posted:

always has been

yes but this is different. it’s more…

a person will be constrained by many things, and limited by their own preconceived ideas and notions about what a thing is worth. an algorithm is maximally optimized.

think about it this way. we could set a price based on rationale of the relationships of people. we could set a price based on the relationships between things and go gently caress people. this is further than that. this is setting price to solely maximize returns without even considering the real relationships of things in the supply chain. it’s the total detaching of production cost from setting price. the price is whatever the market will bear to maximize the return.

it’s the same as what Martin Shkreli was doing to drug prices. except a person to blame has been removed.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
you can’t do fraud if fraud was already done

it’s double jeopardy. simple as

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

25 BP rate hike today, as foretold. The Fed statement has a couple tweaks--apparently the economy is now expanding at a "moderate" pace.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!
“In some ways, it makes it more intriguing,”

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

croup coughfield posted:

“In some ways, it makes it more intriguing,”

he's right

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM > [Doomsday Economics] he concluded it would be difficult to pull off fraud twice in such a specialized field.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!

genericnick posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM > [Doomsday Economics] he concluded it would be difficult to pull off fraud twice in such a specialized field.

thats double jeopardy

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
Two businesses can’t be arrested for the same crime

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Let's double down on insane articles tonight

https://www.businessinsider.com/marc-andreessen-teaching-son-chatgpt-ai-2023-7

Billionaire Marc Andreessen says he's teaching his 8-year-old son ChatGPT: 'This is like the most important thing I've done as a father'

"I set a time aside and I sit him down on the couch and I was like, 'Okay, there's this amazing thing that I'm going to give you.'" the Andreessen Horowitz cofounder told Joe Rogan of the first time he introduced his son to ChatGPT. "This is like the most important thing I've done as a father that I've like brought fire down from the mountains and I'm gonna give you AI and you're gonna have AI your whole life to be with you and teach you things."

Andreessen said he was astonished when his son seemed unfazed by the technology.

"It's a computer. Of course you ask it questions and it gives you answers. What else is it for?" Andreessen said his son told him.

imagine getting owned this hard and then telling people about it

isnt he the dude with an egg-shaped head

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
nfl sunday ticket on youtube tv for only $439 wowowow

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

does theranos 2 also have a blonde woman affecting her voice three octaves lower

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

$439 and it's 30%+ ads. magnificent

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

quote:

Lachy Groom

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Let's double down on insane articles tonight

https://www.businessinsider.com/marc-andreessen-teaching-son-chatgpt-ai-2023-7

Billionaire Marc Andreessen says he's teaching his 8-year-old son ChatGPT: 'This is like the most important thing I've done as a father'

"I set a time aside and I sit him down on the couch and I was like, 'Okay, there's this amazing thing that I'm going to give you.'" the Andreessen Horowitz cofounder told Joe Rogan of the first time he introduced his son to ChatGPT. "This is like the most important thing I've done as a father that I've like brought fire down from the mountains and I'm gonna give you AI and you're gonna have AI your whole life to be with you and teach you things."

Andreessen said he was astonished when his son seemed unfazed by the technology.

"It's a computer. Of course you ask it questions and it gives you answers. What else is it for?" Andreessen said his son told him.

lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

genericnick posted:

too long for thread title, sorry

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Zodium posted:

before that it was the office of naval intelligence (1882)

lol guess who developed Tor?

the (us) naval research lab

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!

Vox Nihili posted:

too long for thread title, sorry

In some ways, it makes it more intriguing,

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Lachy Groom? The names this season are stupid and distracting

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
rich people are so loving stupid

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I think my favorite part about the new Theranos is that no one seems to be concerned about whether the product is actually possible after a bunch of engineers and scientists tried and failed to make it work at Theranos because they flat out could not overcome the physical constraints

it's just "intriguing" in some vague sense

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

Consolidated Ed posted:

imagine getting owned this hard and then telling people about it

isnt he the dude with an egg-shaped head

Yes he is lmao

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

genericnick posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM > [Doomsday Economics] too long for thread title, sorry

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Well, the demand is there. The money is there. Let's do this impossible thing. No fraud this time if we fail. Just good old fashioned magic.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

croup coughfield posted:

lol at believing people have individual agency and free will

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

Well, the demand is there. The money is there. Let's do this impossible thing. No fraud this time if we fail. Just good old fashioned magic.

the entirely of attempts at innovation in contemporary america is just rich people funding obvious scams

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

croup coughfield posted:

so if im understanding this correctly, the way to lower prices is to destroy the wealth of the middle and upper middle class

that's right

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Bar Ran Dun posted:

linear programming algorithms optimize for the objective function. The nuts and bolts of the objective function is going to be determined by “maximizing shareholder value”. They won’t use an algorithm that does something other than that.

I just came across this in a book explaining why liberals are unable to write the history of Greece and Rome:

“The third assumption undermining this historiography is that ‘trade’ needs to be understood in terms of the modern ideal – driven solely by the profit motive and market forces, unfettered by social or political constraints, encompassing every aspect of material existence – rather than any historical or contemporary reality. This leads both modernisers and primitivists to build arguments around some allegedly clear distinctions, the implications of which are unexamined and taken for granted:

Public and private, luxury and staple, self-sufficiency and economic rationality. For example, as will be discussed in more detail in chapter 3, it is simply assumed that only trade in staple goods had real economic significance; luxury trade is regarded as intrinsically superfluous and trivial, despite the importance of non-essential items such as spices, tea and sugar in the development of trade in the early modern period. Only pure profit maximisation is accepted as economically rational, so that self-sufficiency (which may be a perfectly rational strategy) is dismissed as unproductive; the involvement of the state in any activity is assumed automatically to work against the possibility of proper economic development

Perhaps the most problematic distinction is that between the economic and the social; it is certainly a valid criticism of modernising approaches that ‘the economy’ was not an entirely separate sphere of human activity in antiquity – but this is equally true of the present day. The fact that ancient trade was influenced by concerns with social status and other cultural factors does not mean that it was therefore not really an economic activity.”

“For example, the question of whether aristocrats were involved in trade or whether traders ever joined the political elite may appear tangential to arguments about the economic importance of ancient trade, but it is driven by a comparison with the late medieval trading cities of the Hanseatic League, ruled by merchant families and hence, according to Weber, the breeding grounds of the ‘Protestant ethic’ that drove the development of capitalism.”

tl;dr Chicago Boys and their perfectly spherical cows have led to absolutely bonkers interpretations of the past coming out of US universities, while the morons that glom onto America as the New Rome, or America being the culmination of “Athens and Jerusalem” have created an entirely fictitious past where 5th c BC Cypriot olive merchants are imagined as Proto-Protestants.

I don’t even think this counts as teleology, it’s obscene.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

does theranos 2 also have a blonde woman affecting her voice three octaves lower

this is the grittier reboot so she has to talk batman in the dark knight

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

At the birth of Alexander, Greece was in a state of near-revolution due to famine - not because there was a shortage of food, but because - having consolidated large estates and developed more productive methods of agriculture in the previous century - the bourgeois/aristocracy ("bourgeois" is a contested term within Classical Studies) had turned grain into a commodity. They therefore proletarianized a large part of the population, while urban industry was not yet developed enough to employ the dispossessed population. That meant they could not purchase food, which of course had its prices dramatically increase, even as total yields grew, because it was a commodity, practically a currency.

Historians have a hard time articulating the kind of revolution that seems to have been imminent - just like they could not have been Protestants, you could hardly say the common people of Athens were Marxist - but nearly all agree that some sort of "kill the rich" event was on the precipice.

Of course, by a stroke of luck, Alexander created mass employment opportunities, the cities of Greece emptied out as people became mercenaries, soldiers (a blurry distinction), camp followers and colonists. The much better organized and integrated economies of the near-east were integrated into the Greek world, allowing for grain to be subsidized by the Diodochi - the Macedonians had nothing but contempt for the bourgeois of Greece and undermined them by winning popular support.

This provided the solution to " the reduction of the masses to indigence and the concentration of wealth in the hands of a small class; while a diminishing demand for the products of Greek industry on both the home and foreign markets brought about a gradual decrease industrial production and a corresponding decline of commercial activity.", not least because when the Greek cities rebelled against the Diodochi in the decades after, the Macedonians habitually massacred the local ruling class and distributed their wealth to the population after putting down a revolt.

So the ability of rich people to destroy their society is a constant in history, but it seems that they get their comeuppance one way or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Stereotype posted:

The actual way to solve this is to build a high speed rail network. Trains are vastly more efficient than planes in terms of manpower required to operate per passenger. Trains also don't get completely hosed up when it rains a little, and even though they're slower you could have them service smaller communities so you don't need a trained pilot from a dwindling labor force to fly a tiny regional jet to bumfuck nowhere that otherwise would be a 3 hour drive. Every single problem / solution outlined in this would necessarily make air travel more expensive, which most people are also going to be super angry about. The only way to travel long distances in the US is by plane though, and everyone hates trains, so the status quo of pushing costs onto random travelers who get stranded for days is actually the ideal solution.

build a train down the center of every interstate in the united states

lol ok let me just gather my legion of wizards and time travelers to indulge in the sci-fi tech-utopian pipe dream of "building a train". Let's just build a teleportation wormhole while we're at it.