Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Leperflesh posted:

If you can, separate your feelings about which players deserve recognition from which players earn points, now, this season.

I will never do this and you can't make me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

As an addendum, don’t overreact to bad week 1-2s. Don’t be the guy that sits Tee Higgins after he puts up 3 points in week 1 and misses the playoffs by one game!

You drafted your 1-6 guys for a reason, make them prove they aren’t worth it (looking at you Swift :argh:)

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah all good stuff! I think there is a little more to say on your last point. Which is if you DO really like a guy and he's playing well in limited opportunities but not getting enough run as a starter, he could be a good stash. Maybe he'll win over the coach, or the guy ahead of him will get hurt. Then when every fantasy source is suddenly screaming :siren: NUMBER ONE WAIVER PICKUP MUST ADD LEAGUE WINNER :siren:, he's already comfortably on your bench :smugdog:

Obviously most of the time it doesn't pan out and there's a reason the dude was not an early draft pick. But everyone is wrong about football all the time. Last year nobody wanted Josh Jacobs or any Seahawks. Jacobs won people their leagues, and everyone on Seattle massively outperformed their ADP. If you scooped them up at a huge discount cause you liked their talent even on a (supposedly) bad team, you were sitting pretty.

I've also been guilty of dumping guys too early. It can take time for these breakouts to happen. If you add a guy and he doesn't instantly perform, but you really believe in him, give it some time.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I’ll post more (including my league’s rules etc.) this evening but can definitively say that sticking with my favorite dudes won’t be an issue since I know virtually no players in the NFL other than the absolute tier 1 players and some standouts at OU that are still on NFL rosters.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah you're me in 2012 when I randomly decided to do fantasy football because a goon put together a trad games league even though I hadn't paid attention to the NFL in 20 years
if you follow my path, you'll be discussing the merits of an IDP-only league and handing out advice in the sit/start thread inside of 2 years

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
My home league is collapsing 😢

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

I'm assuming Mr. You're a Dick for not Inviting Me to Your Wedding is doing the Lion's share?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I want some juicy deets

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Spoeank posted:

:rip: This would be legit devastating to me. Over time our league has evolved from "uh hey anyone heard of this fantasy football thing?" to a core part of our friend group that we spend an inordinate amount of time (poo poo)talking about for half the year. Not in a hosed up way, we can drop kayfabe and people aren't seriously judging each other over loving fantasy. But we've really bonded over it and it's helped keep friendships intact as people move around and have kids and so on. Our in person draft party weekend is one of the events I most look forward to each year. Would suck to lose this shared thing we have.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Poque posted:

I want some juicy deets

Jeff shares some of his home league bickerings on the podcast every July/August and just listening to them is exhausting

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If I left my home league I'd 100% lose connection to a group of friends probably for life. Fantasy football ties us together and even sometimes manages to get us all together still even though it's dispersed to California, Kansas, Michigan, New Hampshire, Tennessee, Missouri, Oregon and New York and added children. Our first draft the #1 pick was Jamal Anderson before he got over 2000 total yards and we did the draft by hand on paper.

you'd think I'd be better at it by now

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Drunk Nerds posted:

3. Welcome to the best pasttime on Earth! Could you post your leagues scoring settings and how many of each position you can start?

ESPN rankings are always notoriously funky, I've already written one article on their 2023 weirdness. What could seem like a joke setting "just for laughs" could have season winning potential. Plus if there's something weird like "you can start 2 QBs" it completely changes how you want to draft.

Passing Yards (PY)
TD Pass (PTD)
Interceptions Thrown (INT)
2pt Passing Conversion (2PC)

Rushing Yards (RY)
TD Rush (RTD)
2pt Rushing Conversion (2PR)

Receiving
Receiving Yards (REY)
Each reception (REC)
TD Reception (RETD)
2pt Receiving Conversion (2PRE)

Kicking
Each PAT Made (PAT)
FG Made (40-49 yards) (FG40)
FG Made (50-59 yards) (FG50)
FG Made (60+ yards) (FG60)
FG Made Yards (FGY)

Team Defense / Special Teams
Kickoff Return TD (KRTD)
Punt Return TD (PRTD)
Interception Return TD (INTTD)
Fumble Return TD (FRTD)
Blocked Punt or FG return for TD (BLKKRTD)
2pt Return (2PTRET)
1pt Safety (1PSF)
Each Sack (SK)
Blocked Punt, PAT or FG (BLKK)
Each Interception (INT)
Each Fumble Recovered (FR)
Each Safety (SF)
Stuffs (ST)
Passes Defensed (PD)

Miscellaneous
Kickoff Return TD (KRTD)
Punt Return TD (PRTD)
Fumble Recovered for TD (FTD)
Total Fumbles Lost (FUML)
Interception Return TD (INTTD)
Fumble Return TD (FRTD)
Blocked Punt or FG return for TD (BLKKRTD)
2pt Return (2PTRET)
1pt Safety (1PSF)

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
TE
FLEX
D/ST
K

Leperflesh posted:

I'm a bit late to the party but I've got some advice that wasn't expressed by anyone else and took me a while to understand, when I first started playing;

you have to start a certain number of dudes in each position, and that means that positional superiority is more important than overall superiority, mostly. What I mean is, OK, maybe in your league there's QBs who score 35 points and others who score 30 points and some that score 25 etc. etc. And maybe also in your league there's RBs that score 20 points max, and then some that score 15, and some 10, etc. etc. This disparity in top points does not mean that QBs are more important than RBs! In fact if you have to start 2 RBs but only start one QB, your second RB is probably more important than your starting QB. Because what you care about is how badly the falloff is between the top score at that position and what you're going to score with your guys. In each matchup between you and another owner in your league, the win or loss will come from the cumulative advantage or disadvantage you have at each starting spot. A big advantage in one spot outweighs a small disadvantage in one other spot.

This is why Kelce is so valuable: he stands alone at the top of the TE list and there's a steep dropoff after him. So with each weekly matchup, you just get an automatic five to fifteen point advantage at that position against an opponent who has otherwise identically-scoring players and, say, the fifth-best TE in the league instead of Kelce.

Just like opening a bomb rare in pack 3 that's two colors, neither of which you're in. Do you take it or the common removal in your color? The removal, of course.

Relatedly, it's been amusing to me how much the advice for drafting really does mirror Magic. "In the end there's a lot of random chance and luck, do whatever and have fun."

I will say I am sold on Kelce. TE is my favorite position. No clue about draft order or anything like that yet (12 person league) but I'm gunning for him.

edit: "SALARY CAP Draft"??

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 27, 2023

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Poque posted:

I want some juicy deets

There's a guy who's annually a massive baby and uses the league to air all his grievances. Unfortunately, it's not that exciting this time.

One guy's wife has developed terrible health issues, another had a second kid, another got promoted to something important with his urology practice, another guy just doesn't feel like it anymore and another is trying to buckle down and get into local politics. We're down to 7. :rip:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

kiimo posted:

If I left my home league I'd 100% lose connection to a group of friends probably for life. Fantasy football ties us together and even sometimes manages to get us all together still even though it's dispersed to California, Kansas, Michigan, New Hampshire, Tennessee, Missouri, Oregon and New York and added children. Our first draft the #1 pick was Jamal Anderson before he got over 2000 total yards and we did the draft by hand on paper.

you'd think I'd be better at it by now

The one year I won the league my first two picks were Drew Brees and Marshawn Lynch (I do not remember in which order). I think I also had Aaron Hernandez :yikes: I’ve come in second several more times but never returned to the top of the mountain.

A lesbian power couple has won like 50% of all league championships between them, it’s honestly embarrassing at this point (not because they’re women, please do not read that into my post, it would be embarrassing to be so massively owned by anybody). They talk IMMENSE amounts of poo poo and pull insane stunts to dunk on of the rest of us that would be at home on The League the tv show. It’s a huge part of the dynamic at this point as we try and fail to knock them off every year.

Basically, yeah, you’d think I’d be better at this by now

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
I'm back to just give Kittle one last "push" towards believing in him on a year-to-year basis. I'm not sure why people forget he's great (basically always).

2018, 2019, 2021, and 2022. In standard he was, 2, 3, 4, 2 ranked, and in PPR he was 3, 2, 4, 3 ranked. This was for... a total of 16, 14, 14, and 15 games.

In 2020 he played 8 games and was still 19/20 in rankings.

Since he's become a "thing" in 2018... he's always top 4, except for that one time he was injured half the season.

I think the "feeling" about Kittle is far off from what he actually does. What he actually does is rule. Pick him and have a top 4 TE season, almost for sure.

Edit/Addendum: My wife does like to tell me I enjoy to swear at the TV about Kittle every week though, so... take my analysis here with a grain of salt. He does anger me a lot, on a week to week basis. I think it's largely because it only takes one big play for him to make your week a really good one... and you really really want that every play.

EconDad fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 27, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

As a 49ers fan and a Kittle truther, the basic problem here is not just that he was hurt half of 2020. It's also that SF has a confusing QB situation that no longer involves Handsome Jim. We have a limited sample size from Mr. Irrelevant, even less from Trey Lance, and they also have rostered Sam Darnold. The niners love to run the ball, they have Christian McCaffrey at RB and they also have Deebo who balls out like mad at RB, AND they have Kyle Juszczyk, Elijah Mitchell, and some good WRs in Deebo, Aiyuk, and Jennings.

So the question isn't "can Kittle own bones" because he absolutely can, and I'm sure in some games he will: it's that the Niners have a lot of mouths to feed and we don't really know which QB will be feeding them. So there's some questions about Kittle's potential volume. He has a very high upside but he could finish the season on a superbowl-bound team at TE7 or something, too.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My issue is that, in 7 of 15 games last year, Kittle scored under 3 in standard, under 5.2 in hppr , and under 7.7 in full PPR. 7 out of 15 games he didn't show up at all.

TE is all about either getting a consistent positional advantage or sticking with the blob with a boring but high floor performance. Just under 50% of the time Kittle didn't provide either

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Drunk Nerds posted:

My issue is that, in 7 of 15 games last year, Kittle scored under 3 in standard, under 5.2 in hppr , and under 7.7 in full PPR. 7 out of 15 games he didn't show up at all.

TE is all about either getting a consistent positional advantage or sticking with the blob with a boring but high floor performance. Just under 50% of the time Kittle didn't provide either

Only 1.75 of those 7 games were after Purdy was QB, and while not fantasy relevant he did get > 3 every playoff game as well. Discounting the mixed QB MIA game and the NFC Championship (though he barely got more than 3 there too) where Purdy did not QB a full game: Pre-Purdy - 5/9 below 3, Post-Purdy (including playoffs) 1/8 below 3.

Plus TE was a wasteland last year, outside of Kelce no one consistently got points at TE, and I am not arguing to draft Kittle (who was still the #2 TE) before him. In a league where I drafted Kmet last year and had to juggle low tier TEs I am pretty sure I had a cumulative 4 points from my TE position through 7 weeks or so.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 27, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I was really into Chig from the Titans as a later round TE flier this year until they signed Nuk. That was such a loving fantasy grenade. Blew up Chig's value. Blew up Treylon Burks' value. Blew up Hopkins' own value since I don't really want any part of the Titans situation. I guess it boosted Tannehill a bit in Superflex???

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah I agree, he's basically blocking like mad in some of those games, especially after the niners are up by 18 or something and he's just helping to pave the way.

Look at Kittle's snap counts:

He's not missing tons of snaps from injury, he's there, playing.

https://www.49ers.com/news/george-kittle-makes-pff-top-15-tight-ends-list-ranking-travis-kelce-nfl-2022

quote:

"Kittle once again showed the all-around skill set we've become so accustomed to seeing from him. He finished 2022 ranked second among tight ends with an 87.8 receiving grade, and he also earned a third-ranked 69.5 run-blocking grade at the position. He paired those marks with a position-leading 137.1 passer rating when targeted and tied for second with 28 explosive catches (a catch that results in a 15-plus-yard gain).

"As a run blocker, Kittle finished the year tied for third among tight ends with a 10.9% positive run-block rate, while his 431 run-blocking snaps were the second most at the position."

Kelce is ranked 15th among TEs for run blocking, at 61.2.

The league's best run blocking TE according to pro-football-focus is Josh Oliver:

quote:

His 74.0 run-blocking mark made him one of just two tight ends to surpass 70.0, and just 11 NFL tight ends exceeded a 60.0 run-blocking grade on at least 300 run-blocking snaps. Oliver’s 15.3% positive run-block rate paced the rest of the position by a landslide, with George Kittle’s 10.9% ranking second.

Obviously, Oliver isn't even on the radar for Fantasy, but the fact that Kittle is so high on the TE fantasy list while still ranking second in the league at run blocking is astonishing.

Kelce catches more of his targets, gets more targets, more yards, and more TDs - in Fantasy he's a god. But in real world football terms, Kittle is almost as good of a pass catcher and significantly better of a blocker. The 49ers coaching staff know it and they take advantage of it in play design and that's why I am hesitant to advise anyone to draft Kittle super high. In some game situations it makes more sense to just let the man smash linebackers.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kelce getting run for his blocking which is just fine is hilarious. Someone always out here saying Kittle is as good a TE as Kelce because of blocking. It never fails, year after year.

And my response is lmao

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

15th among TEs is not bad though? Like that's still top half of starting TEs int he league, and blocking TEs usually aren't the starting TE...

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I proposed a trade in a league that I think might get accepted. It is a keeper league and you can keep 3 people, only 1 per position. It is a standard scoring superflex league. The team with the first draft spot only has one person worth keeping, and they have Hurts as a first round potential keeper who they were planning on dropping and just picking up again (it would extend his keeper timer 1 year). I draft at the 6th spot and have 4 players worth keeping, but can only keep 3 of them. My 4th unkeepable keeper is Hopkins as a 12th rounder for 2 more years.

The trade I offered is that we swap first round picks, and they get Hopkins. They can just keep Hurts as a first rounder since they still have an open keeper slot, so moving to a later first round pick is completely irrelevant. I move up from 6 to 1 in the first round (though I would be effectively drafting 4th if the trade does not go through, since #1 would still need to pick Hurts and there is another keeper in front of me), and they get Hopkins as a late keeper with an option for the following year.

It allows me to draft Josh Allen instead of someone like Kelce, so it is a somewhat lateral move since it is still going from one good player to another while they just get Hopkins for almost free. I like Hopkins, but worrying about potentially improving one opponent more than yourself is less important than improving your team vs every other team in the league so I assume it is worth doing? I guess I can try and squeeze some sort of late round trade like their 11th round pick for my 16th, but at some point that does not matter too much.

For reference, here are the best players available to draft.

QB:
Josh Allen
Herbert
Jackson
TE:
Kelce
WR:
Chase
RB:
Henry
Taylor
Ekeler

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

In this scenario, does the Hurts owner lose the ability to cheese Hurts' keeper timer by dropping and re-adding him because he's trading back and someone else could then snipe him? Sorry, there's a lot of moving parts in your post heh. If that is accurate I don't know if I would do it as the Hurts owner. I am very bearish on Hopkins' prospects on the Titans who I expect to suck rear end this year even with him. So he wouldn't be enough for me to forego another year of Hurts.

Basically if I understand you correctly I think we value Hopkins very differently where you view him as a big trade chip and I'm like "whatever". Maybe I'm being too pessimistic, given the posts I just made about how Jacobs and Seahawks won people leagues last year :thunk:

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
There is no chance he could lose out on Hurts this year since he could either keep him (assuming we make the trade), or drop him and redraft him with the first pick. All drafted players can be kept for 2 years after the year they were drafted, in the round they were drafted at. He was drafted last year in the first round, but if he drops him and redrafts him it resets the timer, so instead of having an option to keep him as a first round pick from 2022-2024 it would be 2023-2025. I don't think much value is being given to extending his timer, because ideally you have good players locked into later rounds. For some examples, in past years Lamar Jackson was a 9th round keeper, Metcalf was a 16th rounder, Mahomes was a 4th rounder etc.. Generally people want more value than a 1st round quality player for a 1st round pick, so I don't think that 2025 option is really a substantial consideration in their mind.

I don't think Hopkins is driving that much value here, I know my trade partner is not super high on him, but as a 12th rounder the price is right just to have one more starting lineup spot filled since most other teams will have 3 keepers.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This will be the last year I can keep Justin Jefferson. Started as an 8th round hit and will be 4th round this year. Just an absolute steal three years in a row.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

kiimo posted:

This will be the last year I can keep Justin Jefferson. Started as an 8th round hit and will be 4th round this year. Just an absolute steal three years in a row.

I think I’ve got Sun God at the cost of an 8th round pick and Rhamondre at the cost of a 10th

But I’m not sure because Yahoo just wipes all that info on the mobile site

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

People dropping rookies weeks 3-5 because they are underperforming on their bench will never stop happening and never stop being hilarious.

He's on your bench, why does he need to be scoring NOW??

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Sometimes you just need to drop someone due to injuries and do not have better options, especially without the hindsight of knowing whether they are going to become a star player vs being Corey Davis or something.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 28, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Pain of Mind posted:

Sometimes you just need to drop someone due to injuries and do not have better options, especially without the hindsight of knowing whether they are going to become a star playerr vs being Corey Davis or something.

Yeah pretty much. Sometimes football is an rear end in a top hat and you lose 3 guys in the span of a week and you just need a warm body RIGHT NOW or you won’t be alive in week 15 when your rookie may or may not have rounded into form.

That said I’ve definitely learned my lesson on dropping guys too soon. I’ll try much harder to keep a high upside rookie these days than I did a few years ago.

I play in a couple leagues with shallow benches and it’s brutal. Makes it easier for casual players cause there’s always someone on waivers to solve any problem. But it’s impossible to stash anyone, as soon as byes or injuries hit you need every roster spot. I hate feeling like a guy is about to break out but literally not being able to add him cause there’s no bench spot available.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Still waiting for Jeudy to become startable. But I'm feeling optimistic this year

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Docjowles posted:

That said I’ve definitely learned my lesson on dropping guys too soon. I’ll try much harder to keep a high upside rookie these days than I did a few years ago.
I held firm on KW3 and Rachaad last year and it paid off, not with a championship or anything, but it got me closer.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

Still waiting for Jeudy to become startable. But I'm feeling optimistic this year

He was wr21 in HPPR last year despite playing on the lowest scoring offense in the whole league

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/DNVR_Broncos/status/1682491889092640770

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Docjowles posted:

Yeah pretty much. Sometimes football is an rear end in a top hat and you lose 3 guys in the span of a week and you just need a warm body RIGHT NOW or you won’t be alive in week 15 when your rookie may or may not have rounded into form.

I play in a couple leagues with shallow benches and it’s brutal. Makes it easier for casual players cause there’s always someone on waivers to solve any problem. But it’s impossible to stash anyone, as soon as byes or injuries hit you need every roster spot. I hate feeling like a guy is about to break out but literally not being able to add him cause there’s no bench spot available.

I’ve basically stopped being in leagues like these. Many stats/potential stars on waivers removes the scarcity problem and therefore much of the strategy.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My dynasty league has 40 person rosters and that's only because that's the limit for ESPN

granted, we play two QBs, 2 DL, 2 CB, 2 LB, and have 4 flex positions. Every other league feels like checkers compared to it

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'm switching my league to auction for the first time. What are some good resources I should share with the league? I don't mean beersheets and others like that but more along the lines of strategy guides.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm switching my league to auction for the first time. What are some good resources I should share with the league? I don't mean beersheets and others like that but more along the lines of strategy guides.

You can show them a couple of mock drafts using the software and such. If they understand fantasy football basics, they’ll understand it, it’s usually just adjusting to the software and bidding process.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Silly Burrito posted:

You can show them a couple of mock drafts using the software and such. If they understand fantasy football basics, they’ll understand it, it’s usually just adjusting to the software and bidding process.

Ooh that's a great idea! I love that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

"...I inherited this team, I orphaned it up, I don't even know what I'm doing in this league, it's awful... Jakob Sanderson, Akash, a few people. Rynos is in there, his team is awful, Rynos is... it's the worst team that he's ever managed ever, it's awful, he's the worst team in the league. But I'm in this league and my team's not that good, I don't know, I think it was Jeff Krisko, I'll have to shout him out, yeah, you left the league like a little pansy. I found out it was you, loser!"

- Jax Falcone