Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

skooma512 posted:

I mean, it's cool Wishbone has some cache 30 years downrange but the whole point was to do classic literature with a dog, it's an anthology show, how are you going to do that in a feature film unless you just do one book?

easy just do it about the single most important book in the western literary canon wishbone as ulysses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pussy Quipped posted:

where’s my movie about this thing

sorry they went woke and now no one cares

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Wishbone's Odyssey, vol 1

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Wishbone in L'étranger

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Was wishbone just pagemaster but if dog

Or was pagemaster just wishbone but if human boy

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Some Guy TT posted:

I In Barbie, when the women are in charge, Ken is not subjected to cruelty, pain, or servitude—only indifference. Ken still gets to hang out with his friends and can basically do whatever he wants. It’s just that Barbie doesn’t spend much time thinking about him, or what he’s doing, or what he cares about—because the little girls who play with Barbie don’t.

I mean the problem here is the movie overtly draws a parallel between the Kens being treated as accessories and women being treated as accessories and it even half-heartedly admits that the Kens were being mistreated and objectified. The movie is just really confused about what it wants its metaphor to be.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

wishbone blood meridian

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
The radio has been on and three taylor swift songs have played in a row.
Holy loving christ, Radio is dead.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

you can tell the difference between Taylor swift songs?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Wishbone in
Homer's The Lillypad

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Wishbone in
Ranch Dressing

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Saul Sog Sits

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

you can tell the difference between Taylor swift songs?

The first one was one of those loud airy songs, the second one was a dance song, and then it went back to a loud airy song.
So for all I know it could have been 2 songs with one played twice.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Some Guy TT posted:

easy just do it about the single most important book in the western literary canon wishbone as ulysses

Give this man the 300 million dollar budget.

It'll also be less weird when it's a dog being a fart enjoyer.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok that last one was a movie but wishbone could still play George Clooney.

Anyways, Little Puppies
The Scarlet Dog Tag

Seven Bitches for Seven Brothers

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

The first one was one of those loud airy songs, the second one was a dance song, and then it went back to a loud airy song.
So for all I know it could have been 2 songs with one played twice.

i really don't get it lol. she played to 140,000 in Seattle on the weekend, it's incredible how people are into her.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mawarannahr posted:

i really don't get it lol. she played to 140,000 in Seattle on the weekend, it's incredible how people are into her.
:goonsay:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

so if kevin spacey was innocent, who else was innocent? i saw a youtube video about woody allen being innocent, didn't watch because it was long, but there has to be something there if someone made it. maybe epstein was innocent.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Mantis42 posted:

so if kevin spacey was innocent, who else was innocent? i saw a youtube video about woody allen being innocent, didn't watch because it was long, but there has to be something there if someone made it. maybe epstein was innocent.
Noam Chomsky is guilty

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Augus posted:

Barbie is a very fun movie with lots of great jokes and performances, it’s a blockbuster with actual set design in the year 2023, and it’s just very well made and visually appealing. But the “social commentary” is scattershot and its core message is very muddled as a result of not wanting to be too subversive of the Barbie brand.
The big point that the movie tries to make is that women shouldn’t be saddled with expectations of being perfect and excellent at everything, they should be allowed to just be normal, flawed people. Which is a fine message but they don’t actually commit to it, at the end of the movie the status quo of Barbie’s world has barely changed aside from them being nicer to the “ugly” Barbie, otherwise it’s still a fantasy utopia where every woman is unrealistically perfect and excellent at everything.

I think the movie is less about reform/revolution of barbieland or imagining what fixing patriarchy would like and more interested in using Barbie as a lens to explore how women navigate their sense of identity and self once they become woke to the fact that, as the cspam poster stand-in in the movie explains, “everyone hates women, it’s the one thing men and women can agree on”

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

Noam Chomsky is guilty

noam chomsky is the only one who is guilty, all the other accused are innocent

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
cspam loves women

broada n moms ftw

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Mantis42 posted:

noam chomsky is the only one who is guilty, all the other accused are innocent

really hosed up for mr Chomsky to frame all those people and kill mr Epstein.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Augus posted:

I mean the problem here is the movie overtly draws a parallel between the Kens being treated as accessories and women being treated as accessories and it even half-heartedly admits that the Kens were being mistreated and objectified. The movie is just really confused about what it wants its metaphor to be.

I thought that was a weird line in the article too, but having to watch 45 minutes of Ben Shapiro to write an article would probably make me overreach a bit too

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Xaris posted:

cspam loves women

broada n moms ftw

the character is a cspammer for calling barbie a fascist not for hating women. cspam is one of the most pro-woman spaces on the entire internet, or I wouldn't post here

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't really listen to the radio (:goonsay:) but I dunno if pop stars from other eras at their peak managed to reach quite the levels of adulation Swift and Beyonce have, with the possible exception of Michael Jackson. Like, they weren't basing legislation around Britney Spears ticket prices when I was a kid. But it fits the modern era of mergers where one company owns 90% of media, very on-brand

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Xaris posted:

cspam loves women

broada n moms ftw

https://twitter.com/nycguidovoice/status/848658834021273600

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

loquacius posted:

I don't really listen to the radio (:goonsay:) but I dunno if pop stars from other eras at their peak managed to reach quite the levels of adulation Swift and Beyonce have, with the possible exception of Michael Jackson. Like, they weren't basing legislation around Britney Spears ticket prices when I was a kid. But it fits the modern era of mergers where one company owns 90% of media, very on-brand
is swift at all popular outside America?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Swift is chud music by a chud

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Radio has been dead for decades

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/nkulw/status/1684332168724488193?t=rrcj5aMKBhf-QtMbtO01HQ&s=19

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Augus posted:

Radio has been dead for decades

the assassination of radio star by the coward video

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Women around the world are taking their boyfriends to see “Barbie” in hope of answering one fundamental question: Is he “Kenough”?

Across social media, many women have been encouraging one another to use the movie as a litmus test to gauge whether their male dates can understand, or are at least receptive to, its feminist messaging.

Nicole Hoefler, a 32-year-old woman from Cologne, Germany, said she calls it the “Barbie test.”

“It’s like the new question on a first date or your dating profile: ‘What are your thoughts on the Barbie movie?’” she said. “Because if a guy really doesn’t want to see it or he’s not open to talking about it or, what’s even worse yet, if he’s seen it and he thinks it’s not a good movie or he doesn’t get the point, I think it’s kind of a no-go.”

To her pleasant surprise, her boyfriend passed with flying colors. Hoefler, who shared her boyfriend's reaction to the film on TikTok, said she had originally planned to glam up in a pink dress and enjoy the movie alone because she didn’t expect him to be interested in “Barbie” — until he asked to join her, digging up a baby pink shirt to match her outfit.

She and several other women who spoke with NBC News said watching “Barbie” felt like seeing their everyday experiences showcased on the big screen. But Hoefler said that after having heard so many men react to the movie defensively, she felt lucky to have a partner who actively wanted to discuss the impacts of patriarchy afterward.

“He just confirmed many things I always knew, like his empathy and how emotionally intelligent he is,” Hoefler said. “I think it’s easy for a woman to understand the movie, but I never expected him to get everything at this level.”

Part of the shock, these women say, comes from the assumption that men who are willing to engage in supportive conversations about feminism are hard to come by.

Catie Alvarez, 21, of Vancouver, British Columbia, posted in a viral TikTok video this week that she “can’t relate” to all the women lamenting that their boyfriends didn’t understand the movie.

Alvarez said her boyfriend suggested and planned the whole outing, including finding a Barbie-themed outfit for himself that specifically matched hers. After the movie, she said, he listened to and validated the thoughts she shared about navigating the world as a woman.

“I have a lot of friends who had boyfriends who were like, ‘That has nothing to do with me,’ or like, ‘I’m not interested in that, so I don’t want to go watch it,’” Alvarez said. “A lot of men just see 'Barbie' and are like, no, but I think I’m just surprised to have a man who let me have my opinion and not try to put his own spin on it.”

Hasna Bouderra, 18, of Dunkirk, France, said in a TikTok video that she thinks discussions of “Barbie” will serve as a new test of compatibility when she goes on future dates with men: If they don’t get the point, they’re probably not a good match.

“I think it would be great if men could all watch it,” Bouderra said in an interview. “I’d like them to understand. It’s like taking a new point of view. They get to see how they make women feel.”

Raissa Az Zahra, 21, of Jakarta, Indonesia, shares that sentiment. She found the movie’s themes to be personally relatable, and she said she believes it can help audiences who haven’t experienced womanhood, such as men or young children, better understand women’s perspectives.

After she watched “Barbie” with her boyfriend, she said, he was eager to learn more about how she related to Barbie’s experiences.

“I remember him saying that he realized how hard it was to be a woman,” said Az Zahra, who posted a TikTok video about the moviegoing experience with her boyfriend. “He has been a walking green flag already, but he told me that after watching the Barbie movie, he acknowledged a lot of things that at first he might not have seen.”

That dynamic seems to be rare among other couples, she said, based on the stories she has heard from friends and seen on social media. Because of the movie’s direct approach to feminism, Az Zahra said, she believes how men respond to seeing “Barbie” could be an effective gauge of their respect for women.

“Maybe there are men who hate the Barbie movie but would still respect their girlfriend to the extent that their girlfriend feels safe and all right with them,” she said. “But in my personal opinion, it’s a pretty good test to see the point of view of your boyfriend towards things.”

For some, seeing “Barbie” also acted as a catalyst for breaking up with incompatible partners.

Theresa Arzate, 27, of Dallas, said her ex-boyfriend's reaction in the theater was a “wakeup call.” Now, she’s looking for apartments as she prepares to move out next month.

“There were certain parts where he was like, ‘Oh, are you crying?’ in dislike and total shock, and it just really upset me,” Arzate, who opened up about her break up on Twitter, said. “His reaction to ‘Barbie’ just really took me aback. … This isn’t the kind of partner that I want to have.”

As a former military service member, she said that being a woman in a male-dominated space took a significant mental and emotional toll. It was part of why many of the movie’s themes felt validating to her experience.

“It just was really moving for me, and it really made me sad to feel that I am doing everything that I can to really step into who I am as a woman,” she said. “And then I’m having to leave my partner behind, not because I want to, but because he just doesn’t have the bandwidth to follow me.”

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

Women around the world are taking their boyfriends to see “Barbie” in hope of answering one fundamental question: Is he “Kenough”?

Barbie test

Hehehehehehehe hehehehehehehe
If you thought film bros were bad. Say hello to film gals.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Lemme tell ya - I've had "Kenough" of these dumb broads telling me what movies mean, amirite fellas??

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Hello :q:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Like millions of other people, I dedicated part of my weekend to Barbenheimer. It was a joy and a privilege to plan a day around a double feature, which I arranged the way I would heartily recommend to others: first Oppenheimer, then a 60-90 minute break for a meal, then Barbie. The theaters were packed; the costumes were plentiful; the popcorn at our local indie cinema was so good and refills were one dollar.

It was movie-going at its finest, and I feel zero desire to rank one film above the other. Going to the movies is awesome, and I’ve missed it horribly, and it saddens me that this weekend isn’t a sign of innovative Hollywood moves to come, but the beginning of a seemingly interminable dry streak.

WITH ALL OF THAT SAID — Barbie and Oppenheimer *are* in conversation with each other in ways worth unpacking.

Oppenheimer is a Classic Christopher Nolan film. There’s the twisty quasi-noir plot; a tortured and beguiling male protagonist; an obsession with brunettes; periodic (and arguably superfluous) surrealist elements; and a total disinterest in the interior life of women. That description might make it sound like I didn’t like the film — I did, and I especially liked Cillian Murphy as Oppenheimer. But the film, like all of Nolan’s work, is ultimately most interested in the masculine world: a world of great darkness, deception, and cruelty. Men ruin men, and men make the world worse for everyone: themselves, of course, but also the suffering women who populate its fringes.

Unlike other masculinist directors — absolutely Zach Snyder, sometimes David Fincher, absolutely Quentin Tarantino, most of Clint Eastwood — Nolan does not dislike women. There is no vaguely Freudian impulse to punish them, either as actors or as characters. They are not the cause of men’s suffering; men do that to themselves. No one would argue that Nolan’s films are feminist, but those do place the blame for a broken world squarely on men.

Oppenheimer fails the Bechdel Test (does a woman talk to another woman onscreen about something other than men) because the dominant history of The Manhattan Project, particularly as collected in Oppenheimer’s source material (American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer) fails the Bechdel Test. And this isn’t (just) the history of the Manhattan Project, it’s the history of Oppenheimer — who, at least as characterized here, was utterly uninterested in the conversations of women with anyone other than him.

There’s one woman scientist in the film, but there were dozens of women involved in the creation of the bomb — a history expertly collected in Their Day in the Sun: Women of the Manhattan Project. These women not only contributed to the science that made the bomb possible, but also to the dissent and protest that becomes a key cause of Oppenheimer’s own torture. They were just excluded from the larger power games that tear the men of this film asunder. They were not Prometheuses (Promethei?) They were not the main character in men’s telling of the broken and still-breaking world, and thus: they are not in a Nolan film.

Which is another way of saying that patriarchy begets patriarchal art. Men’s self-regard (and concern) is the narrative gravity; the idea that other audiences would also be interested in such a narrative goes unquestioned.1

There’s a logic that’s long guided Hollywood, at least since the beginning of the blockbuster era: Teens will watch things intended for them but will shy from things aimed squarely at adults. Adults will watch things aimed at them, but will also watch things aimed at (older) teens. Men will watch things made for them, but will shy from things made “for” women. Women will watch films made for them and will also readily watch things made for men. So if you want to make the biggest hit possible, you aim for something that will hit all four quadrants: a film aimed squarely at an audience of 16-18 year old boys.

If you look at the summer movie schedule, you can see that logic in action. The top-grossing films for each week, starting in May = Super Mario Bros., Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Fast X, The Little Mermaid, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, The Flash, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, Insidious: The Red Door, and Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1. Apart from the fact that all of these films are built on existing IP, they’re also all — with one pointed exception — built for boys.

Boys are taught at a young age that movies will bend to their interests and center their perspectives. If they don’t, they don’t have to watch them. I already see this in the exclamations of my friends’ kids when it comes time to decide on a movie: “that’s a girl movie” is enough to shut down any suggestion.

Girls, by contrast, are conditioned to identify and empathize with the perspective of men — and observe worlds in which they are perpetually secondary. Up until the early 2000s, there was a robust offering for films that refused that perspective (the so-called “women’s film” or weepie, the screwball, the rom-com) but the reorganization of Hollywood under the God of IP has all but killed the middle-budget women-centered film.

BUT WHAT ABOUT STREAMING, you might say, THERE WE CAN FIND CONTENT NOT SOLELY INTENDED FOR WHITE STRAIGHT MEN. It’s true, I love it over there. But the cinema — the public, familial sphere of entertainment — remains dominated by that same tired understanding of whose perspective must always be privileged. Audiences blame Hollywood, Hollywood blames audiences, but the problem with always taking the least risk (as a studio, as a movie-goer) is that you’ll keep reverting to the norm, and that norm will continue to degrade. See: Indiana Jones 5.2

So what is Barbie? It’s a film with swagger like a male-oriented blockbuster. It assumes everyone, everyone, wants to see it. The marketing campaign makes that explicit in a topical sense (“If you hate Barbie, this movie is for you. If you love Barbie, this movie is for you”) but it’s also in the casting, the humor, the roll-out, all of it. Some of that swagger stems from its IP, which lends it the immediate recognition studios have taught us to demand to get us into an actual theater.

But it’s more. Barbie understands itself as the main event. Not of the week, but of the summer. It has, as the kids say, REAL MAIN CHARACTER ENERGY. Which makes sense: the Barbies aren’t just the main characters of this film, but of the whole world. They live in a matriarchy where the levers of power are controlled by women. Men are superfluous, unskilled, and primarily eye candy; the very idea that they would have an inner life is a punchline in and of itself. And if that sounds mean or heartless, imagine how it feels when it’s only slightly more sublimated in all the films where men’s perspective rules.

That’s the joke, of course — and the punching heart of the film. Barbie doesn’t argue that the world should look like Barbie’s world so much as dare you to find offense in it, to just try and make the argument that a judicial branch with a token man is somehow offensive. It’s smart and winking about the relationship between us and the products that become overdetermined with meaning, value, and play; it pokes at the absurdities of masculinity with the sort of familiarity of someone who’s actually known a lot of men, not just known about the idea of men.

There’s a real skill in making a character like Ryan Gosling’s Ken so aggressively one-dimensional. (How much of this has to do with Greta Gerwig co-writing the script with Noah Baumbach? Unclear, but I imagine it contributes to the feeling that men get that patriarchy is ridiculous). And there’s a real skill, too, in allowing Margot Robbie’s Barbie to wake up to the realities of the world in way that doesn’t feel hackneyed, but sympathetic — like the first time I realized that adults telling you you could be anything did not mean you could be anything, or when I really and truly understood, looking at that row of presidents on the wall, who was actually allowed to be president. Realizing how our world works is heart-breaking. Funny, sure, but heartbreaking. Barbie gets that.

I think Oppenheimer does too. It’s an incredible piece of cinema. But there’s a reason Barbie is busting all projections, why the enthusiasm for it feels contagious, why people can hold a valid feminist critique alongside the doll’s truly complicated place in feminist history and their enjoyment of the film. Barbie as film, Barbie as posture, Barbie as movie-going experience — it’s such a challenge to the masculinist vision of the world. Not a utopian one, not one free of the chains of consumerism or other forms of intersecting privilege, but a rejection of the de facto centering of the white male experience, both as subject matter and as audience member.

We can hope that Hollywood takes Barbie’s success as evidence of audience hunger for that sort of experience, but judging from this New Yorker profile, it’ll probably just keep trying to develop that script for UNO and start development on Indiana Jones 7 and whatever Christopher Nolan wants to make next. But the good news, the great news, is that there are so many other ways to get this feeling — the thrill of seeing a world built around a perspective that’s not your own, or at the very least, the one you’ve been taught to assume.

If Oppenheimer asks: Why and how do men seek dominion over one another? What can the (male) mind imagine? Why does (male) genius corrode? Then the answer of Barbie is: Great questions. But what if we asked some different ones?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm not gonna watch either of these movies just because gently caress em

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

loquacius posted:

that happened because her parents are wall street executives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm not gonna watch either of these movies just because gently caress em

I did Barbenheimer on Sunday and it was fuckin awesome