Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also the people standing out front offering the FREE! audits seem to always be minorities in their mid-20's / early 30's so I guess that's their new demographic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

Also the people standing out front offering the FREE! audits seem to always be minorities in their mid-20's / early 30's so I guess that's their new demographic

similar to MLMs at some point you run out of rubes in your initial demographic to keep the pyramid going and have to diversify, they're going real hard on latinos rn

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

does Scientology have any members younger than the lady from Madmen and the other lady who was on Homeland who failed the audition for Tom Cruise’s new wife?

There is a big Scientology boarding school just outside Willimina, OR

https://maps.app.goo.gl/1tbXhWeDAA5DbZzr8?g_st=ic

I worked for a business that the owner’s wife was an administrator at that school so we often had lots of interns and low level data entry people who were pulled from recent graduates

Some of them were more into it than others, but there is definitely at least some intergenerational transfer going on

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Shame Boy posted:

yeah, the entirety of young Scientologists in the US are either second/third-generation members who were born into it, or staff members recruited from their outposts in Colombia or South Africa or Taiwan or Russia who were brought over on religious visas to fill spots at empty orgs

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Consolidated Ed posted:

try searching worldcat.org and entering your zip code afterwards.

itll show you public libraries near you that possess that book. you can request it from your local via interlibrary loan. go to your library, find someone, and ask for an ILL form. you might want to write down the oclc number of the title you want, so the ILL person can find it easily (worldcat will tell you what this number is). they will literally ship the book to your local branch and notify you, all you have to do is go pick it up when its ready. some libraries (lovely ONES!!!) charge a small fee for ILL fulfillments, but a dollar or two beats paying $20+.

literally everybody should know about worldcat, it should be part of library 101 in high schools and colleges, and yet nobody does

:capitalism:

this owns ty for sharing

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I highly recommend getting a free audit if they have e-meters. They're pressure sensitive, so have fun. Also I recommend not getting into the whole thing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BonHair posted:

I highly recommend getting a free audit if they have e-meters. They're pressure sensitive, so have fun. Also I recommend not getting into the whole thing.

I really do not want to interact with scientology at all, I get the feeling they'll start a file on me if I so much as just talk to them

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh the other thing I saw through the windows of that one outpost office was a big room that looked like a library, with bookshelves everywhere, and each and every shelf of every bookshelf in view held exactly one hardcover copy of Dianetics on a little display stand and nothing else.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Shame Boy posted:

I really do not want to interact with scientology at all, I get the feeling they'll start a file on me if I so much as just talk to them

My sister didn't realize Dianetics was Scientology-related and naively gave them her number in exchange for the book. She had to threaten them with violence to make them stop calling her.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SplitSoul posted:

My sister didn't realize Dianetics was Scientology-related and naively gave them her number in exchange for the book. She had to threaten them with violence to make them stop calling her.

My uncle was into Dianetics for several years, and even gave my mum the book. She never read it, but I still remember the cool volcano on the cover.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Shame Boy posted:

that fear is well-founded because they will, and every couple years they round up members to do "central files day" where everybody's tasked with going through every file and updating phone numbers and addresses for anyone who's fallen out of contact

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Paladinus posted:

My uncle was into Dianetics for several years, and even gave my mum the book. She never read it, but I still remember the cool volcano on the cover.

i have a copy with the cool volcano cover. unreadable but it looks fuckin sick on a bookshelf

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Like I said above I actually worked for a Scientology adjacent company and it was a hell of an experience

The company was really doing its best to not be overtly associated because the owner wanted to actually build a successful product and had big dreams of being a big time tech CEO, narcissist that he was, and I wasn’t actually aware of the connection for a month or two until I got to know coworkers well enough to gossip about it, the place was probably at some points about 50/50 scios and normies

So not overtly Scientologist but lots of Scientology stuff went around in like planning documents and training and just terminology used and also weird poo poo like people taking a week off to go get cleansed and showing up bright red from B12 overdoses and poo poo like that

One woman who did data entry stuff actually quit to go work at the Portland Scientology center and had a big going away party

Anyway there was a wrongful termination lawsuit that went poorly and at that point the owner decided to get serious about growing the business and kind of pushed all the other scios out of leadership and the whole vibe got a lot more normal, idk why I stayed as long as I did except it was east work and paid really nicely

Anyway that’s my story hope you found it interesting

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Like I said above I actually worked for a Scientology adjacent company and it was a hell of an experience

The company was really doing its best to not be overtly associated because the owner wanted to actually build a successful product and had big dreams of being a big time tech CEO, narcissist that he was, and I wasn’t actually aware of the connection for a month or two until I got to know coworkers well enough to gossip about it, the place was probably at some points about 50/50 scios and normies

So not overtly Scientologist but lots of Scientology stuff went around in like planning documents and training and just terminology used and also weird poo poo like people taking a week off to go get cleansed and showing up bright red from B12 overdoses and poo poo like that

One woman who did data entry stuff actually quit to go work at the Portland Scientology center and had a big going away party

Anyway there was a wrongful termination lawsuit that went poorly and at that point the owner decided to get serious about growing the business and kind of pushed all the other scios out of leadership and the whole vibe got a lot more normal, idk why I stayed as long as I did except it was east work and paid really nicely

Anyway that’s my story hope you found it interesting

I'm surprised they didn't retaliate big time stylee.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Shame Boy posted:

you don't have to give them your real name or anything

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

I have a friend that was on a night out about 8 years ago, and got a bit pissed in central London and went in for the free audit

They still call him semi regularly

He's quite a timid / shy guy, so he just accepts that he's going to get these phone calls, seemingly forever

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Paladinus posted:

fuckin hegel

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

insane clown pussy posted:

you don't have to give them your real name or anything

They can find it out, the e-meter reads your soul and everything

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Lol if the tv commercials with the volcano book aren't a formative childhood memory burned into your brain forever

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!

It's dianetics' SCIENCEtology. Very materialist.

quote:

Communism in revolt, throws out all middlemen, simply takes the final step of capitalism and seizes everything in the country. It fights capitalism by becoming the supercapitalist.

It is not an idle comment that George Washington in the American Revolution, the Marquis de Lafayette in the French Revolution and Fidel Castro in the last Cuban revolution were each the richest man in the country at the time.

Communism, far different from the hope of Marx, is the tool of the rich and powerful to seize everything in sight, and pay no wages. It is the final answer to capitalism, not its opponent.

Hubbard, on Economics

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
When he's right he's right

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Dog Case posted:

Lol if the tv commercials with the volcano book aren't a formative childhood memory burned into your brain forever

"The mind is nothing more... than a braaaaain!"

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ranter posted:

It's dianetics' SCIENCEtology. Very materialist.

Hubbard, on Economics
what on earth

they claim to hate private property when they themselves become the state and claim all the property

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ranter posted:

Hubbard, on Economics

sure communism seems cool, but have you ever considered some poo poo I made up?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Shame Boy posted:

They can find it out, the e-meter reads your soul and everything

Plus good luck at staying anonymous from a dedicated party in 2023

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Coolness Averted posted:

sure communism seems cool, but have you ever considered some poo poo I made up?

amphetamines are a hell of a drug

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Consolidated Ed posted:

can you recc a book or books on this...

Missed this: Through the Eye of a Needle by Brown

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1684588900256456704

The hours between 5-6? You may have thought those belonged to the worker...

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1684588900256456704

The hours between 5-6? You may have thought those belonged to the worker...

lol the article basically says that work is still getting done, because they'll do another hour of work from home, but it's bad for managers because it's difficult to schedule meetings. Who schedules meetings between 4 and 6? Go to hell.

Really fun how the pandemic exposed how worthless work is and that it's really just about control of people's lives.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

I actually clicked through on this ad, because I thought it couldn't actually be as stupid as it looks. The lady drinking and the gel capsule looking thing meant it's like a vitamin liquid or something, right? Maybe it synchs with something to tell you to take your medicine, or is like a timed catfeeder for your pills?

No. It's literally just a dispenser that requires special 1 time use cartridges. The only other selling point is the dispensers can interlock, so you can buy multiple ones and make a vitamin bar for dispensing single pills.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It looks futuristic. Don't you want to live in the future

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

capitalism breeds innovation

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
"vitamins" here meaning snake oil and black pepper which just makes it worse

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I miss the days when "vitamins" meant methamphetamine

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Someone saw the failure of the juciero and thought it was just the luxury that made it an issue. If only the juciero was cheap plastic people would absolutely want gimmicky special dispensers for everything

They're not even selling special blends like 'subsribe to our service and we'll tailor make the perfect suppliment in a single pill for you!' It's buy one of these for each of the snake oil pills you buy

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
How likely is it that they were trying to develop something for automating dispensing perceptions, and then couldn't implement it, so are trying to make any amount of money by selling to consumers? Because I can't think of a reason why this would be developed on purpose.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Brought that up in another channel and somebody mentioned they have an idiot friend that bought into this

https://herohealth.com/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

Brought that up in another channel and somebody mentioned they have an idiot friend that bought into this

https://herohealth.com/

Watch the video, it has a loving arm that grabs the pill lmao

Troutful
May 31, 2011

quote:

WOONSOCKET, R.I., JUNE 1, 2023 — CVS Pharmacy® (NYSE: CVS) announced today the launch of its CVS Health® QuickServe™ Vitamin Dispensing System, an easy-to-assemble vitamin dispenser that holds a 30-day supply of select CVS Health vitamins and supplements. Its sleek countertop design promotes “vitaminimalism” — the simplification of vitamin and supplement routines, eliminating the clutter of pill bottles and keeping vitamins and supplements front and center which may help increase adherence and enhance self-care regimens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Coolness Averted posted:

I actually clicked through on this ad, because I thought it couldn't actually be as stupid as it looks. The lady drinking and the gel capsule looking thing meant it's like a vitamin liquid or something, right? Maybe it synchs with something to tell you to take your medicine, or is like a timed catfeeder for your pills?

No. It's literally just a dispenser that requires special 1 time use cartridges. The only other selling point is the dispensers can interlock, so you can buy multiple ones and make a vitamin bar for dispensing single pills.

edit nvm it dispenses hard pills too. Still has some benefit but can't deny it's dumber than I thought (me too).

Seems stupid because ads try to never include models who look like their actual customers, which in this case is olds or the caretakers of them. As usual this product is about convenience and time saving over cost or ecological considerations.

Some caretakers have to feed pills to their charges, but those under their care can no longer swallow easily on their own. Sometimes you have to give them many pills. Sometimes multiple times a day. Cutting gelcaps open to dump them into water or a liquid drink can be frustrating and time consuming. It's even worse to do this if you have arthritis or limited mobility. This product basically lets you make a nice little cocktail of meds to drink really quick and easy.