Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Kirios posted:

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1683938776156975106?s=20

Red Bull’s dominance is starting to become a big factor (negatively) in the long term prospect of the sport in the States.
The American market is utterly irrelevant and this is just clickbait.
1mil viewers? That's less than a rounding error.
F1 gets 450-500mil global viewers literally no one cares about the 1 in 340 Americans capable of watching a race that's not on an oval.

The largest negative impact to viewership on the sport was Merc's 7 years of dominance:

Which gave the sport a year-on-year loss even when DTS added 140m viewers to the pot.

Of course with Lewis winning all the time the British pundits weren't sitting around hand-wringing and pearl cluctching about whether the sport was dying because Lewis was winning.
Herbert's even referred to it as a return to RBR domination seen previously, as though he's literally incapable of perceiving the Merc 7-year run in the same light.

It's pretty amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Thanks Ants posted:

It's all a fairly predictable trajectory for every company that overpays for something and the VPN clampdown is probably the brainchild of someone who thinks that people paying £5 a month to watch races is going to rush out and sign up to Sky Sports to get their races back. I fully expect the fantasy league to start charging for entries within a couple of seasons, and it being justified because they're giving away some caps and shirts of a driver who got dropped by their team five races ago.

IPTV is easy enough to find and cheaper than both F1TV and Sky. I really don't see what they hope to achieve by driving paying subscribers to piracy, but I'm not one of those Liberty Media galaxy brains who thinks cracking down on a tiny minority of presumably technically savvy individuals who will just find the next workaround is a good use of time and money.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Spa forecast is
Friday: Rain
Saturday: Rain, maybe some storms
Sunday: Rain

Thank god it's a sprint weekend and no weird reschedules will cause issues.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has anybody at F1 considered looking at the rainfall over the year at Spa and maybe putting the race in April rather than the peak rainy month?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

a few years ago it snowed during a may wec race

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
This is already them moving it forwards into as dry of a month as you really get in Belgium, it used to be late August.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Why don't they just remove spa from belgium as everyone agrees it's the only bit of it worth saving and put it somewhere that's guaranteed good weather like the fair and beautiful Kingdom of Saudi Arabia™.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I went to Spa in 2013 and it didn't rain all weekend, this was also before Max Verstappen was in the sport. So I propose we remove Max from F1 to get dry races back.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Khablam posted:

you fall for this every time don't you.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
F1 taking three full years to research and implement the novel technology of 'fenders' is like when you forget to pick up some small piece of the tech tree in Civ so now your space faring society has to spend 5 turns discovering the concept of chariots.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
What if there's a fan vote to nuke the sky and stop the rain.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Snackula posted:

F1 taking three full years to research and implement the novel technology of 'fenders' is like when you forget to pick up some small piece of the tech tree in Civ so now your space faring society has to spend 5 turns discovering the concept of chariots.

I read somewhere that the fender test didn’t go that well and still produced a lot of spray.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Sky having a 4k feed is pretty cool though, it’s dumb as hell I can’t pay F1TV for a 4k tier membership, especially as someone who can’t pay for Sky withOUT VPN

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just one more personnel change, I swear this is the last one, I'll do good strategy after you let me do this change

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Khablam posted:

1mil viewers? That's less than a rounding error.
F1 gets 450-500mil global viewers literally no one cares about the 1 in 340 Americans capable of watching a race that's not on an oval.

The largest negative impact to viewership on the sport was Merc's 7 years of dominance:

Which gave the sport a year-on-year loss even when DTS added 140m viewers to the pot.

Of course with Lewis winning all the time the British pundits weren't sitting around hand-wringing and pearl cluctching about whether the sport was dying because Lewis was winning.
Herbert's even referred to it as a return to RBR domination seen previously, as though he's literally incapable of perceiving the Merc 7-year run in the same light.

It's pretty amazing.

Do we know how some of the viewing habits changed? Because I think it was 2009 when the BBC got F1 back, and viewership suddenly shot straight up. And then it went to the dedicated Sky channel and sank like a stone because it wasn’t on free-to-air TV. This happened in plenty of places. One of the reasons the viewership in the US has been so strong is because the races are on ESPN without ads, which is a drat sight better than how the coverage used to be.

I don’t remember every F1 TV agreement offhand but I’m guessing it’s more than just the on-track product that impacted that time frame, which then yes perked up because of Drive To Survive but also things like “having a YouTube channel” and “promoting highlights on Twitter” that Bernie seemed completely opposed to ever doing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic Hindenburg Piazzale Loreto

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Look at that year where people tuned in to watch Sir Lewis Hamilton get his first WDC and then correctly realised it would never get better than that

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

does mekies really need half a season off to protect ferrari secret nformation?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ArmZ posted:

does mekies really need half a season off to protect ferrari secret nformation?

nobody fucks up the way Ferrari does and those fuckups are protected

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Taking half a season off is a form of quarantine so the other teams aren't infected with passione

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

America is a potential goldmine so F1 and soccer will never stop trying. You see the same thing with American brands trying to capture the Chinese market. Greed will always try to find a way.

Another thing is American fans, myself included if I'm being honest, like following fringe European sports because it allows us to feel superior, fancy, and evolved. So the most passionate fans here don't really want it to succeed. We want to be able to watch it and wink knowingly at follow Eurofans as we look down on noses and sneer at American sports.

E: gently caress you, dad! I don't want to watch NASCAR. I'm watching a YouTube clip of George Russell talking about fashion.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 27, 2023

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

the US needs to get better commentators. i know crofty and brundle are absolute garbage but even those two idiots are better than like 95% of he commentators i've heard when i watch a US broadcast of any motorsports. they're all loud as gently caress and never shut the gently caress up for even 2 seconds, does my head in.

not to mention the every sponsor is mentioned by name for everything constantly. "here's jimmy thunders in the coca-cola mcdonalds number 52 coming into the pitstraight sponsored by coors. look how quickly the wal-mart/netflix pit-crew are getting those big dicks sporting goods lug nuts off with the official wheel-gun of nascar the nutbolter 5000XT"

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Don’t worry they’re working on ai murray walker for sure

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

America is a potential goldmine so F1 and soccer will never stop trying. You see the same thing with American brands trying to capture the Chinese market. Greed will always try to find a way.

Another thing is American fans, myself included if I'm being honest, like following fringe European sports because it allows us to feel superior, fancy, and evolved. So the most passionate fans here don't really want it to succeed. We want to be able to watch it and wink knowingly at follow Eurofans as we look down on noses and sneer at American sports.

E: gently caress you, dad! I don't want to watch NASCAR. I'm watching a YouTube clip of George Russell talking about fashion.

In other words, Max Max Max Super Super Max Max Max!

It’s hard to tell who’s trolling in this thread. Whinging about 2 years of RB winning after 7 years of Mercedes, 4 years of red bull, all those consecutive years of Ferrari, mclaren, Williams. I get some of these are new people but look into the history of any sport and you will find periods of dominance by a team or individual.

It’s pretty rare for an F1 team not to win consecutive championships because the formula doesn’t change that much from year to year usually and when a teams gets a new formula right they have don’t have to do as much improvement over a season to stay ahead of their competitors, often focusing their efforts on NEXT year especially towards the end of the season.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

My friends here in America who have started watching f1 since d2s are always pinging me and asking me if it’s always this bad

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

ethanol posted:

Don’t worry they’re working on ai murray walker for sure

this would actually own

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

In other words, Max Max Max Super Super Max Max Max!

It’s hard to tell who’s trolling in this thread. Whinging about 2 years of RB winning after 7 years of Mercedes, 4 years of red bull, all those consecutive years of Ferrari, mclaren, Williams. I get some of these are new people but look into the history of any sport and you will find periods of dominance by a team or individual.

It’s pretty rare for an F1 team not to win consecutive championships because the formula doesn’t change that much from year to year usually and when a teams gets a new formula right they have don’t have to do as much improvement over a season to stay ahead of their competitors, often focusing their efforts on NEXT year especially towards the end of the season.

It’s not the winning per se that’s the problem, it’s the fact that one of the cars pulls away on the grid and by lap 4 has a 10 second advantage.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I liked when NBCsports had the rights in the US and had their own commentary team. Mainly I enjoyed the Scottish(?) engineer on commentary as he was informative and more interesting

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ethanol posted:

My friends here in America who have started watching f1 since d2s are always pinging me and asking me if it’s always this bad

it's good actually, if you know what to look for

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

seasons like this one you just do your best to pretend the dominating team doesn't exist. when it's slightly closer you survive on hopium that someone, anyone with usurp them.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Mokotow posted:

It’s not the winning per se that’s the problem, it’s the fact that one of the cars pulls away on the grid and by lap 4 has a 10 second advantage.

Starts in first, exits all pit stops in first, ends in first. Winning would be fine but there's no race for first, just a dude having a nice Sunday drive and some traffic forming behind him

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
To be clear I'm enjoying this season of F1 and am an American so I'm willing to admit I'm part of the problem

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Varsha, Matchett and Hobbs were great

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i know crofty and brundle are absolute garbage

You've got no idea about garbage UK commentators unless you had to listen to James Allen, with Jim Rosenthal as host on top of that

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Ngl I had money on Francesco Schettino.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

ferrari should try hiring some non-italians

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

ferrari should try hiring some non-italians

please-a helpa me staff this, my team, she's a garbaggio!

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

It’s pretty rare for an F1 team not to win consecutive championships

Brawn GP was too good for this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Varsha, Matchett and Hobbs were great

Hobbs saying “ker-blammo” never got old.

Those were the days :allears: